Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Dh’s company announced their plan today and we’re rather shocked. They will only be going back in to the office in phases but only if they see improvement in numbers of cases and deaths. When they see improvement they will allow 10% of workers back and it will be voluntary and go every two weeks from there.  They will not have more than 50% of workers back in office until there is a vaccine or effective treatment. No one will be forced to return to the office prior to vaccine or treatment. Also, masks will be required unless you are sitting at your desk, so in all common areas.

Dh started in the office but then we moved out of state, so he’s been working from home for a few years. We didn’t expect them to basically decide to wait for a vaccine but I’m glad no one will be forced back and can continue at home. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

35 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I'm surprised that you would describe the normal functioning of a parliamentary democracy as "unilateral" -- in fact, a leader in a parliamentary system has considerably less individual power than an American-style President. The leader participates in a party-based voting system to propose and pass laws openly and normally.  In a parliamentary system, a person becomes head of state by being the party leader of the party with the most seats. They don't gain any form of personal executive power from the position.

In declaring a national emergency, it was the government who had that power to do that (through a vote) not the Prime Minister. In deciding what additional powers the government gained during this emergency, they already had an act of parliament from 2006 (that had been passed into law by a vote at that time) to govern their response to a pandemic.

I'm not seeing any sort of 'ruling by fiat' really.

I apologize for misreading the situation. In the reporting I read, Jacinda Ardern as PM was specifically being lauded for implementing NZ's restrictions. This article is one example. You did catch me out, though, as not understanding NZ's government in it's entirety and I guess trusting the media too much. Thank you for the correction.

ETA: My larger point was that I would not want our chief executive to have the kind of power attributed to the NZ PM (apparently incorrectly) in the article linked above. 

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I still maintain there was nowhere else to put them in a timely manner at least in PA or NJ.  My grandmother never even made it to a hospital, never mind testing before death.  I do wonder what the stats are on long term care patients being released from the hospital.  It seems odd to me that there would even be enough to necessitate their own building. (Vs. residents who never even made it to a hospital, which has been the main story for NJ.)

That's been my impression too - that most of the deaths happen so quickly that there was no going to the hospital.    I saw calls to find someplace else to put nursing home residents who were positive but not sick enough for the hospital, but I didn't see any really practical solutions presented.   

The ship hospital was originally supposed to be for non-Covid patients only.

10 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

That seems ridiculous and anti-Christian that they allow movie theatres, but not churches. 

Not anti-christian. This rule applies to ALL gatherings where the goal is socializing and only applies for 2 weeks, not forever. So my dh's martial arts class (which typically has 30 people) cannot have more than 10 people attend, because they all know each other so would be more likely to interact.  Our homeschool swimming cannot meet because we have 30 kids who know each other, but the swimming pool can open for 100 people to swim if they don't know each other. The *key* differentiation is whether friends are gathering or whether strangers are sharing a facility. Also, when I said 'churches' that was a general term, not a christian term. So it applies to christian, jewish, muslim, hindu, and even atheist 'churches.' At movie theaters, people don't know each other and have no interest in interacting.  This is not true at churches, sporting clubs, weddings, etc.  The PM's point was that it would be hard to be apart for 7 weeks and then get together without some affection and physical contact.  Churches were consulted, and agreed to continue online for 2 more weeks like many other groups. 

We will not sacrifice our hard won gains.  We will not sacrifice our economy for 2 weeks of getting together.  The focus here at this exact point in time is on opening up the economy NOT opening up our social life.  Churches don't make money, so they fall into the second group.  Keep in mind that NZ is going for the elimination strategy, so we need to be way more careful than the USA here at the beginning of a two year-long effort, so that we then can open up *completely* and interact normally because there will be NO virus here.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

One of my family members told me that the large corporation he works for let the employees know that they would all be working from home until summer of 2021.

Twenty Twenty-One. 

They are going to save millions on the electric bill. 

DS24 just this morning told me of a company in his city that has told their employees they won't be returning to the office until 2021. DS's employer is currently saying not until November at the very earliest.

11 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

That seems ridiculous and anti-Christian that they allow movie theatres, but not churches.  Pretty sad state of affairs that churches are on board with this plan.  

Your comment made me think of a meme I saw today 🤔

BEBF50B9-9F06-4B8F-A6EB-01E0FF20618E.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, EmseB said:

that sounds nice, however, the way they did that seems to be by the chief executive issuing some pretty dang draconian mandates unilaterally. I don't want to live in that world even if it means I personally have to take more precautions going forward. But if you have a small island nation with a benevolent executive who can rule by fiat, it would probably work pretty well as long as you don't run out of resources.

Interestingly, during the past 7 weeks is the first time I have seen true patriotism in NZ.  

A couple of random thoughts: 

I do think that it is the parliamentarian system here that has allowed for a coordinated response.  There are pros and cons for different types of government, but in a pandemic a single voice has made for a calm, clear message. Because the parties in power vote as a block, no compromise is required with the opposition parties to implement policy. (NZ has 5+ parties, and runs an MMP system)

There is obviously a problem with NZ's elimination approach if no vaccine can be found. But when the decision was made 2 months ago, there was huge uncertainty, as there still is. So while we wait, we wait in safety. Also, the one thing this approach has allowed for is a clear strategy for opening up the economy and our social life (which are happening at different times, economy first).  

NZ is small. I think that America has always had a problem because the density of the virus varies widely, so there needs to be different rules for different localities at different times.  This is very difficult for the public to understand, support, and implement.  It is just a really tough situation. 😞 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

https://youtu.be/durcHyxpFT4

Luc Montagnier on CV19 as not natural.  I realize World Health Organization etc day it is natural.   (Not trying to spread conspiracies— But I trust Montagnier’s credibility more than WHO.) 

I had a look around about this and found this article. I don't know enough about the science to comment but thought it might be interesting to read.

https://science.thewire.in/the-sciences/luc-montagnier-coronavirus-wuhan-lab-pseudoscience/

ETA - Sorry just saw this was already posted up-thread

Edited by TCB

12 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

DS24 just this morning told me of a company in his city that has told their employees they won't be returning to the office until 2021. DS's employer is currently saying not until November at the very earliest.

Husband's company extended work-from-home until US Labor Day, but I honestly don't see them ever returning to the office.  At least, not like it was before.  They have several thousand employees working in a converted shopping mall.  There's just no way to do that safely right now. 

I'm sure the company is looking at the savings of having everyone work from home, too.  Electric, water, trash, cleaning services, office supplies.  They'll probably save on health insurance, too.  Colds and flu won't spread among the staff with everyone home. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EmseB said:

does not have the kind of power that the NZ Prime Minister appears to have. 

She is acting as the voice.  She does not have any more power really than any other minister, except a leadership role.

There are around 20 ministers with portfolios (finance, environment, etc), and they form the 'cabinet' (not the same as the US cabinet because they are elected officials here not appointed). The current cabinet includes 2 parties - Labour and NZFirst (who has formed a collation with both conservative and liberal parties).  This group of 20 makes the decisions, and our PM likes for all decisions to be unanimous, which means that Labour must compromise with NZFirst. However, the cabinet meetings are kept quiet, so we don't see the compromise in action. Our opposition party was asked to head the committee to evaluate the Covid response. Their role is to oppose, challenge, question.  Their meetings have been public, and well publicized in the press. 

So it is a bit of a misrepresentation to suggest our PM has more power than say, the US president. It is just that here there is a single voice by design.

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, lewelma said:

She is acting as the voice.  She does not have any more power really than any other minister, except a leadership role.

There are around 20 ministers with portfolios (finance, environment, etc), and they form the 'cabinet' (not the same as the US cabinet because they are elected officials here not appointed). The current cabinet includes 2 parties - Labour and NZFirst (who has formed a collation with both conservative and liberal parties).  This group of 20 makes the decisions, and our PM likes for all decisions to be unanimous, which means that Labour must compromise with NZFirst. However, the cabinet meetings are kept quiet, so we don't see the compromise in action. Our opposition party was asked to head the committee to evaluate the Covid response. Their role is to oppose, challenge, question.  Their meetings have been public, and well publicized in the press. 

So it is a bit of a misrepresentation to suggest our PM has more power than say, the US president. It is just that here there is a single voice by design.

Thanks for the correction, although now I wonder how she and the country feel about the articles like the one I linked above. "even weeks after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern imposed harsh restrictions to contain the coronavirus," makes it sound like what we would consider an executive order and that she is the one doing it and I've not heard it phrased any other way other than with her first name associated (and that was politico EU, so I don't think it's just American media?). And on my FB feed I have heard people saying they want her in charge of our response, so I know I am not alone in this interpretation. My bad, though.

I guess I will correct my thoughts to say that I am glad we don't have one executive body at the federal level making decisions for all of the US. It would be impractical for a whole host of reasons. Although I do appreciate the CDC finally putting out guidelines to help inform state-level decisions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EmseB said:

what we would consider an executive order

Interesting.  I could see how the news stories could be interpreted that way.  But as far as I know, she has NO power for an executive order.  In fact, there is no Executive branch here.  She has one vote in the legislature, just like all other ministers. She is just the voice of the coalition government which is currently made up of 3 parties (2 of which are in the cabinet, the Greens are outside of cabinet).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Selkie said:

I'm not really sure I would say that cases are "surging" here in Texas.  They have increased a bit, yes, but it's generally been pretty stable.  I'm actually WAY more concerned about Illinois, which added 3k new cases yesterday.   

Testing in Texas has increased a lot over the last 2 weeks; there have been about 270K tests run in the last two weeks.  Our positive case percentage has stayed about the same since April 24.  The 7 day positive average is actually at the lowest it's ever been, probably because of the increased testing.  We've run a total of 623k tests.  

Here is the Texas health department website, in case anyone is curious.  They have a tab for how COVID-19 is trending in Texas.  COVID-19 in Texas

I'm definitely not trying to claim that covid-19 is no big deal or that Texas has some sort of special way of handling the outbreak that is leading to better results here.  I think we have low population density and warm weather working in our favor. I keep reading in the news "Omg, what's up with Texas?! DOOOOOOM AWAAAAAITS!", and it's not exactly matching what is happening here right now. But I don't hear much about Chicago or Illinois in general, and the situation there seems much worse than what is happening here. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I'm not really sure I would say that cases are "surging" here in Texas.  They have increased a bit, yes, but it's generally been pretty stable.  I'm actually WAY more concerned about Illinois, which added 3k new cases yesterday.   

Testing in Texas has increased a lot over the last 2 weeks; there have been about 270K tests run in the last two weeks.  Our positive case percentage has stayed about the same since April 24.  The 7 day positive average is actually at the lowest it's ever been, probably because of the increased testing.  We've run a total of 623k tests.  

Here is the Texas health department website, in case anyone is curious.  They have a tab for how COVID-19 is trending in Texas.  COVID-19 in Texas

I'm definitely not trying to claim that covid-19 is no big deal or that Texas has some sort of special way of handling the outbreak that is leading to better results here.  I think we have low population density and warm weather working in our favor. I keep reading in the news "Omg, what's up with Texas?! DOOOOOOM AWAAAAAITS!", and it's not exactly matching what is happening here right now. But I don't hear much about Chicago or Illinois in general, and the situation there seems much worse than what is happening here. 

The percentage gain in cases  for the entire state of Texas is lower in the past 7 days than it was in the previous 7 days. 

Only 68 counties of the over 250 counties have had a higher percentage gain the in past 7 days than in the previous 7 days.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

In Illinois, we were told that our peak was going to be in late April or early May. That has now been pushed back to mid-June.

In Chicago, the virus is hitting minorities particularly hard, especially African Americans - their death rate from the virus is currently six times higher than that of whites.

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, MissLemon said:

My husband works for DSHS. In his normal job he has to work saturdays twice a year.  At the beginning of the pandemic. his group went down to working half days to prevent too many people in the building/his office room at the same time. (They are considered essential personnel so furloughing them was never an option. But a lot of their job has to do with the tests babies get their 1st year of life and with so many doctors and hospitals closed plus the fear of catching the virus, their workload was way down.  However, they also have a part in the coronavirus testing process and while some aspects of their job are still lighter than normal, there is enough work in the testing aspect that they have brought everyone back to work  fulltime (but spread them out over two rooms for distancing). And now they have been assigned additional weekend days to work as well. (one day a month instead of just twice a year)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Would you say those 68 counties are representative, in terms of population size/density?

Texas is so complicated.

Of the top 5 counties, population-wise:  Tarrant (Fort Worth) and Harris (Houston) counties saw in increase and Travis (Austin), Bexar (San Antonio), and Dallas counties saw decreases.  Most of the extreme drops or increases in % change in new cases occurred in smaller, less populated counties.  So, as much as you can say "average" for the state of Texas--no major increases or decreases seem to have occurred. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

Of the top 5 counties, population-wise:  Tarrant (Fort Worth) and Harris (Houston) counties saw in increase and Travis (Austin), Bexar (San Antonio), and Dallas counties saw decreases.  Most of the extreme drops or increases in % change in new cases occurred in smaller, less populated counties.  So, as much as you can say "average" for the state of Texas--no major increases or decreases seem to have occurred. 

(ETA: Not disputing that Illinois is doing worse than TX, btw) 

Having lived briefly in Dallas-Fort Worth area at one point, I wonder how meaningful it is to separate them as to ups and Downs.   Iirc the county line was not especially a barrier to people or viruses.    

What is happening in state as whole on these graphs looks a bit concerning:

951AFF9B-9D6D-4F5F-B123-6EB947B8844D.jpeg

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Pen said:

Having lived briefly in Dallas-Fort Worth area at one point, I wonder how meaningful it is to separate them as to ups and Downs.   Iirc the county line was not especially a barrier to people or viruses.    

I don't know where you got this graph from It doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing on Texas own website.

Texas is watching 7-day averages. Here's one that compares average cases positive over the last 7 days along with a graph underneath that shows the increase in testing while the positivity has remained constant (and even gone down at the end a little)

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

And here's hospital utilization by region:

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Edited by vonfirmath

52 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I don't know where you got this graph from It doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing on Texas own website.

Texas is watching 7-day averages. Here's one that compares average cases positive over the last 7 days along with a graph underneath that shows the increase in testing while the positivity has remained constant (and even gone down at the end a little)

And here's hospital utilization by region:

Worldometers.info (it shows on the screenshot at top center url area)

I don’t see a graph on link you gave. The numbers don’t seem to me to to conflict with the Worldometers.info numbers

CDDB20EA-C44F-45ED-AEF1-F4F55AAE0C1C.jpeg

Edited by Pen

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Would you say those 68 counties are representative, in terms of population size/density?

Texas is so complicated.

I remember a tourism ad campaign Texas - It’s like a whole other country.  After living there in college, it really did seem that way.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EmseB said:

Thanks for the correction, although now I wonder how she and the country feel about the articles like the one I linked above. "even weeks after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern imposed harsh restrictions to contain the coronavirus," makes it sound like what we would consider an executive order and that she is the one doing it and I've not heard it phrased any other way other than with her first name associated (and that was politico EU, so I don't think it's just American media?). And on my FB feed I have heard people saying they want her in charge of our response, so I know I am not alone in this interpretation. My bad, though.

I guess I will correct my thoughts to say that I am glad we don't have one executive body at the federal level making decisions for all of the US. It would be impractical for a whole host of reasons. Although I do appreciate the CDC finally putting out guidelines to help inform state-level decisions.

I think this is really interesting. As a Canadian, our system is substantively similar to NZ. In observing my news reading, I realized that I'm accustomed to reading 'the Prime Minister imposed' as personification. It's shorthand for 'the PM led their party through the process of implementing this'. Which is totally not what it says, so you are not to be blamed for reading it in the plain sense of the actual words used. I also have noticed that usually articles that include the PM's name a lot tend to be from more partisan or opinion-style sources -- they are trying to either build or destroy the PM's 'brand'. More even-handed sources tend to say 'the (Trudeau) government' at least once or twice to clarify the personification.

I can see now how it's perfectly natural for citizens living in a country where the national leader *can* do a variety of things without the voting participation of the ruling body would be more apt to assume that 'if it says that the PM did it, it means that the PM did it'. We don't read it that way because we know that can't be the case. (Like when my MIL says, "I changed my oil." -- my first thought is that she brought it in for service, not that she got out a wrench.) I think maybe I have been misreading American news! Do your Presidents frequently use their executive powers? When I read 'the President has done xyz' -- am I supposed to understand that xyz was done by the President alone without the participation of your house / senate / etc?

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Pen said:

Worldometers.info (it shows on the screenshot at top center url area)

I don’t see a graph on link you gave. The numbers don’t seem to me to to conflict with the Worldometers.info numbers

Hrms. I thought I was linking directly to the tab.

Click on the tab "Testing Trends" at the bottom to see the graphs.

2 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I think this is really interesting. As a Canadian, our system is substantively similar to NZ. In observing my news reading, I realized that I'm accustomed to reading 'the Prime Minister imposed' as personification. It's shorthand for 'the PM led their party through the process of implementing this'. Which is totally not what it says, so you are not to be blamed for reading it in the plain sense of the actual words used. I also have noticed that usually articles that include the PM's name a lot tend to be from more partisan or opinion-style sources -- they are trying to either build or destroy the PM's 'brand'. More even-handed sources tend to say 'the (Trudeau) government' at least once or twice to clarify the personification.

I can see now how it's perfectly natural for citizens living in a country where the national leader *can* do a variety of things without the voting participation of the ruling body would be more apt to assume that 'if it says that the PM did it, it means that the PM did it'. We don't read it that way because we know that can't be the case. (Like when my MIL says, "I changed my oil." -- my first thought is that she brought it in for service, not that she got out a wrench.) I think maybe I have been misreading American news! Do your Presidents frequently use their executive powers? When I read 'the President has done xyz' -- am I supposed to understand that xyz was done by the President alone without the participation of your house / senate / etc?

A president can issue an executive order without congress voting on an issue. It looks like 300 EOs for 2 4 year terms is not unheard of. FDR and Woodrow Wilson totally threw the curve, lol.

A president signing a bill into law is something that has passed through the house and senate after debate and voting by both parties.

So if someone on the news said that Trump issued a stay at home order, I would assume they meant executive order.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Hrms. I thought I was linking directly to the tab.

Click on the tab "Testing Trends" at the bottom to see the graphs.

I don’t see “Testing Trends.

This is a screenshot of what I see:

F0239D41-A8A0-44A2-8FB0-5C3C6176E932.png

1 hour ago, Pen said:

(ETA: Not disputing that Illinois is doing worse than TX, btw) 

It is difficult to know where to draw boundaries.  The people and the virus definitely do not stop at county lines.  At the same time, from one end of Dallas to the end of Fort Worth is a distance than what many people would travel to be in another state.  Right now I am in Austria.  From Germany, through Austria, to Italy is a shorter distance than driving from one end of the DFW metroplex to another.    

While the number of new cases in Texas rose right at the end of April/beginning of May, testing significantly increased in the state at that time, also. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

It is difficult to know where to draw boundaries.  The people and the virus definitely do not stop at county lines.  At the same time, from one end of Dallas to the end of Fort Worth is a distance than what many people would travel to be in another state.  Right now I am in Austria.  From Germany, through Austria, to Italy is a shorter distance than driving from one end of the DFW metroplex to another.    

While the number of new cases in Texas rose right at the end of April/beginning of May, testing significantly increased in the state at that time, also. 

If I remember correctly it is 12+ hours to drive across Texas at its widest point.  Texas is huge!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I have similar issues with separation of Vancouver, WA from Portland, OR in terms of judging case numbers.  There is far more travel between those places on a regular basis than between Portland, Oregon and Bend, Oregon.  

(And iirc, Dallas to Fort Worth was a shorter drive than from my current rural area to the nearest significant city.) 

Different Countries can and have in many cases at least officially shut human travel.  So different countries does seem significantly different to me. 

Eta: the added testing issue could be a reason that would be less concerning, but I think deaths have continued to rise too — however, I cannot make worldometers.info load right now to check that. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t see “Testing Trends.

This is a screenshot of what I see:

F0239D41-A8A0-44A2-8FB0-5C3C6176E932.png

That looks like you are accessing it on a phone?

Try clicking the arrows on either side of "Cases by County" -- Cases by County is one of the tabs on the page I see when I click on that website. Though I do wonder how the graph is going to show up. Hrms.

Edited by vonfirmath

12 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

That looks like you are accessing it on a phone?

Try clicking the arrows on either side of "Cases by County" -- Cases by County is one of the tabs on the page I see when I click on that website.

Okay. That worked.

I still don’t see any significant conflict with Worldometers.info. 

Since death statistics are less likely likely to be affected by increased testing here are death graphs.  They aren’t horrible— double digit deaths per day—not like a New York or Spain type scenario.  But they also don’t appear to be showing much of a tapering.

The new daily deaths do seem to show a flattened curve — but not yet clear that an average curve drawn through has become level.   Though maybe even if it is rising it is a small enough rise for state to handle it. 

83A4DB17-A59E-4E62-B233-950E17496CC3.png

Edited by Pen

20 hours ago, Pen said:

https://youtu.be/durcHyxpFT4

Luc Montagnier on CV19 as not natural.  I realize World Health Organization etc day it is natural.   (Not trying to spread conspiracies— But I trust Montagnier’s credibility more than WHO.) 

I will have to spend more time with it, but I find this argument compelling.  I'll need to check the science.  https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

20 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I will have to spend more time with it, but I find this argument compelling.  I'll need to check the science.  https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

I don’t know which way it is, but I am certainly keeping an open mind that LM may be right, or partly right.  

Earlier in this thread, I thought it didn’t matter all that much whether it was purely natural or not, but increasingly, I think it may matter quite a bit. 

The most clever manipulated virus might be one that would appear to most scientists to be natural, but that would have manipulations so that it would be capable of doing very unexpected things in the course of illnesses, and/or that might respond to vaccines or treatments in very unexpected ways. 

Very sad article about an Iowa meatpacking worker who died of covid-19.

https://www.telegraphherald.com/coronavirus/article_2e9646dc-96d1-11ea-b934-13efa653bb5e.html?utm_source=thonline&utm_medium=click_source&utm_campaign=mostrecent

IOWA CITY — In the days before his death, an Iowa meatpacking worker twice warned that the coronavirus was spreading through his plant because of its crowded spaces and lack of personal protective equipment, his nephew said.

Jagir told his nephew, Shila Dide, 30, twice in April that conditions at the bustling plant were helping spread the highly contagious disease. Jagir complained that hundreds of people would gather in the cafeteria without masks or face shields, Dide said.

"My uncle told me, 'Hey, this place is not safe. This virus is everywhere'," said Dide, of Carroll. "He talked to me twice and said the same thing. Then, after a few days, he got sick."

• Sad 5

This is a graph of deaths in Texas with a 7-day moving average in red.  It doesn't appear that there has been a spike in deaths, but the next few days will be important to watch.   (And most deaths through today are probably still related to people who were infected before May 1 when many places began lifting restrictions) 

image.png.f8be358c8f1c37ec7f7920d5ae79755d.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joker said:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/498046-five-sailors-who-returned-to-uss-roosevelt-test-positive-for-coronavirus-again

Anyone seen this? It says five sailors on the Roosevelt developed symptoms and tested positive for a SECOND time. 

I had not— thanks for posting.  

That is concerning.

I didn’t see if they think it is a separate infection or that first infection goes into a hidden form and then re-emerges.   Did you see that addressed? 

I think it might be a good idea to have something available to do a periodic sense of smell and taste test with. 

• Sad 1

UCB 🙂 https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/thousands-of-uc-berkeley-seniors-to-graduate-in-minecraft-ceremony/2291312/

“Thousands of graduating seniors from University of California, Berkeley are expected to take part this weekend in one of the most unusual graduation ceremonies ever — they’ll don their caps and gowns in the virtual world of the game Minecraft. 

The 2 p.m. ceremony on Saturday will take place in a virtual Minecraft version of the Cal campus and feature keynote speeches from Cal’s chancellor, CEOs from tech companies Razer and Twitch, as well as graduating seniors. 

“It should be a pretty unique experience for everyone,” said Bjorn Lustic, a former Cal student who launched the effort. “This has never been done before.””

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

UCB 🙂 https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/thousands-of-uc-berkeley-seniors-to-graduate-in-minecraft-ceremony/2291312/

“Thousands of graduating seniors from University of California, Berkeley are expected to take part this weekend in one of the most unusual graduation ceremonies ever — they’ll don their caps and gowns in the virtual world of the game Minecraft. 

The 2 p.m. ceremony on Saturday will take place in a virtual Minecraft version of the Cal campus and feature keynote speeches from Cal’s chancellor, CEOs from tech companies Razer and Twitch, as well as graduating seniors. 

“It should be a pretty unique experience for everyone,” said Bjorn Lustic, a former Cal student who launched the effort. “This has never been done before.””

I kind of love that.

53 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Lol

this would be certain of my kids dream graduation 

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

In Illinois, we were told that our peak was going to be in late April or early May. That has now been pushed back to mid-June.

In Chicago, the virus is hitting minorities particularly hard, especially African Americans - their death rate from the virus is currently six times higher than that of whites.

This is so worrying. 😞 

We used to live in Cook County, and I still have relatives in Lake, DuPage, and Winnebago counties, so I've kept one eye on what is going on there.  

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

More economists discuss the benfits of shut-downs/lock-downs/social restrictions over misguided herd immunity approaches:

https://theconversation.com/the-costs-of-the-shutdown-are-overestimated-theyre-outweighed-by-its-1-trillion-benefit-138303

So it looks as if they are attributing saving 225,000 deaths to the lockdown:

"Given a population of 25 million people and assuming a fatality rate of 1%, this would produce 225,000 deaths." 

This is calculated as 90% of people being infected and 1% of those dying.  But, the benefit of the lockdown would be how many FEWER deaths there are because of the lockdown. (If a lockdown flattens the curve and results in 100,000 deaths instead of 250,000, for example, the benefit is 150,000 saved lives, not 250,000)

Maybe Australia is different in that it can have a lockdown and zero deaths or non-lockdown and 225,000 deaths.  But that isn't a reasonable assumption for most places.  

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

And minks at mink farms.  

Which may mean house pest rodents would be susceptible...  I think that should be checked.  And also I think it should be investigated whether mosquitoes or fleas or ticks can be a vector. 

I still feel concerned that with the blood and circulatory changes effects it has shown it might be communicable in more ways than are currently thought. 

• Like 2

Europe https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-italy-reopen-borders-tourists-early-june-12738836

“ROME: Italy will reopen to European tourists from early June and scrap a 14-day mandatory quarantine period, the government said on Saturday (May 16), as it quickened the exit from the coronavirus lockdown. 

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte enforced an economically crippling shutdown in early March to counter a pandemic that has so far killed more than 31,500 people in Italy.

The shutdown halted all holidaymaking in a country heavily dependent on the tourism industry.

Although Italy never formally closed its borders and has allowed people to cross back and forth for work or health reasons, it banned movement for tourism and imposed a two-week isolation period for new arrivals.

In March, the European Union banned foreign nationals from entering its Schengen zone, an open border zone comprising 22 of 27 member states, with exceptions for medical workers and essential travel.

But on Wednesday, the EU set out plans for a phased restart of summer travel, urging member states to reopen its internal borders, while recommending that external borders remain shut for most travel until at least the middle of June.“