Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

• 24 new cases in South Korea (31 cases, of which 24 announced after midnight GMT and 7 cases reported previously). Cases have more than doubled (+165% increase) in the last 24 hours, rising from 31 to 82 (+ 51).

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-reports-31-new-cases-covid-19-seoul-12452424

“SEOUL: South Korea has 31 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday (Feb 20), bringing the number of people infected in the country to 82, Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said in a statement.

Of the new cases, 23 cases were traced to church services that a 61-year-old patient who has tested positive had attended in the central city of Daegu, the agency said, describing it as a "super-spreading event". 

The spike in new cases prompted authorities to warn of possible further cases and asked Daegu citizens to stay indoors.

On Wednesday, Shincheonji Church posted a statement on its website confirming 10 of its members were infected by the woman, who had attended services.

The services took place at a branch of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony, a religious movement founded in 1984 by South Korean Lee Man-hee, who is revered as a messiah by followers.

The church said that it has shut down the Daegu branch and instructed services in other regions to be held online or individually at home.

The latest update comes just one day after South Korea's infection total increased sharply, after 20 new cases were confirmed on Wednesday. 

Of those, 18 were in Daegu and neighbouring North Gyeongsang province, with 15 of them believed to be linked to the 61-year-old woman. Several of the cases attended the same church as the woman while one came into contact with her at a hospital.”

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

Apparently the Japanese infection diseases guy has withdrawn his video and apologised.  I can’t find the wording of the apology to figure out what kind of apology it is.  Sounds like he may have some anti Japanese government past that may have played in.

on the other hand the number of infection for quarantine staff etc seem to indicate he may be right. 

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Apparently the Japanese infection diseases guy has withdrawn his video and apologised.  I can’t find the wording of the apology to figure out what kind of apology it is.  Sounds like he may have some anti Japanese government past that may have played in.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/4bbd92cd4f91-breaking-news-japan-scholar-removes-videos-blasting-situation-on-virus-hit-ship.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It’s not overly clear whether it’s a token apology or a retraction of what he said.  I’m pretty sure there’s cultural stuff playing in that is making this hard to interpret anyway.

• Like 1

Looking at international statistics right not we have 1,150 cases, 10 fatalities, 45 serious/critical.  So at this point around 5pc become seriously ill and 1pc die.  Of course there’s so many issues with that simple math.  Chances are there are significantly more undiagnosed infections in Iran if they’ve had two fatalities.  If the cruise ship has a higher than average age then that would skew results toward more serious sickness.  And the time frame to develop serious illness means maybe that will increase.  But it looks like the percentage of serious illnesses and fatalities seems to be slightly slower compared to the numbers coming from China at this point though it’s really too soon to know.

14 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have been doing the same.  So many of our common items come from China now.  Supply shortages and huge price increases are a possibility.  Then there is the fact that we may not want to enter a drugstore fore things like Tylenol!  I keep thinking that being prepared is smart and then I think about ending up with a huge stack of stuff we won’t be happy about needing to use up .  I also know I am looking at this from a position of privilege........I have an opportunity to prepare. 

I tend to. buy my cleaning supplies at big box stores and am currently one box ahead on things like bleach etc.  The paranoid part of me thinks two boxes might be better.

I have also taken a quick inventory of wardrobes especially the athletic shoes which we buy ahead on sale so can easily switch out when worn out.  Everyone has at least two pairs ahead which normally takes us into the fall.  I picked up new socks for all.......

Dh has gone over the otc meds.  Well stocked for colds, allergies etc for the next few months.

Not sure what to do about food at this point.  I have a freezer full and may just leave it there.

I think it's wise to buy a few extras of things your family typically uses, and consider it part of the rainy day fund. As long as what you buy is part of your normal usage, it won't feel burdensome to use it up.  I don't think we're at a point where anyone needs to run out and panic-buy at the grocery.  

That being said, my husband noticed a big price jump on a piece of woodworking equipment he just bought.  The motor for the router is made in China and the supplier was already having trouble getting the motor, and was having to turn to more expensive producers.  It made us both go "hmmm", and do a quick household inventory to see if there is anything we should pick up now rather than wait.  

I coupon, so I typically have extras of a lot of things we use, but I'm being a little more diligent in making sure we have enough of the things we use every day. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I think it's wise to buy a few extras of things your family typically uses, and consider it part of the rainy day fund. As long as what you buy is part of your normal usage, it won't feel burdensome to use it up.  I don't think we're at a point where anyone needs to run out and panic-buy at the grocery.  

That being said, my husband noticed a big price jump on a piece of woodworking equipment he just bought.  The motor for the router is made in China and the supplier was already having trouble getting the motor, and was having to turn to more expensive producers.  It made us both go "hmmm", and do a quick household inventory to see if there is anything we should pick up now rather than wait.  

I coupon, so I typically have extras of a lot of things we use, but I'm being a little more diligent in making sure we have enough of the things we use every day. 

Yep we're looking at some of that stuff too.  2DD will be starting taking online classes in the fall so I need a headset for her.  I know the great majority of that comes out of China so I'm buying it now rather than waiting till fall.  And DS is hoping to start a new job soon so I need a couple more thermos so he can take hot food (the stainless steel Thermos brand are made in China) with him.  DH is going to need new shoes before summer etc.  Things we would absolutely be buying within the next 6 months but may be harder to come buy if there is a delay in the supply chain. I did see an article that Walmart said if the shut down in China continued, they expected to start having issues by April (although I was surprised that they said 3/4 of their products were made in the US, I didn't think it would be that high).

I'm not panicking but just being aware of future needs and taking care of it now if it's practical.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Yep we're looking at some of that stuff too.  2DD will be starting taking online classes in the fall so I need a headset for her.  I know the great majority of that comes out of China so I'm buying it now rather than waiting till fall.  And DS is hoping to start a new job soon so I need a couple more thermos so he can take hot food (the stainless steel Thermos brand are made in China) with him.  DH is going to need new shoes before summer etc.  Things we would absolutely be buying within the next 6 months but may be harder to come buy if there is a delay in the supply chain. I did see an article that Walmart said if the shut down in China continued, they expected to start having issues by April (although I was surprised that they said 3/4 of their products were made in the US, I didn't think it would be that high).

I'm not panicking but just being aware of future needs and taking care of it now if it's practical.

Anything required for online learning may become more expensive due the number of schools and colleges using online options for people who can’t attend in person due to quarantine etc 

• Like 1

Daegu Mayor Kwon Young-jin asked the city’s 2.5 million residents to stay indoors after 23 new coronavirus infections were traced to church services in Daegu attended by a woman who later tested positive for the pathogen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/coronavirus-fears-grip-south-korean-city-china-reports-drop-in-new-infections-idUSKBN20E0AM

24 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I did see an article that Walmart said if the shut down in China continued, they expected to start having issues by April (although I was surprised that they said 3/4 of their products were made in the US, I didn't think it would be that high).

“Walmart and Sam’s Clubs sourced more than $11 billion from diverse suppliers in the U.S.

According to data from our suppliers, approximately two-thirds of what we spend to buy products for Walmart U.S. goes toward items that are made, sourced or grown in the U.S.” https://corporate.walmart.com/esgreport/social#inclusive-sourcing

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

From Global News Canada https://globalnews.ca/news/6571354/canadians-return-diamond-princess/

Updated February 20, 2020 12:24 am

Canadians who have spent weeks on a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship in Japan will board a government-chartered plane to take them home Thursday evening, the foreign affairs minister says.

Japanese authorities will test Canadian passengers for the virus before allowing them to leave the ship, where they’ll be taken by bus to the airport to board the chartered plane, Francois-Philippe Champagne said Wednesday.

Passengers received messages from the Canadian government laying out the departure plans, including masks, wristbands, restricted use of airport facilities, and warnings that it’s much colder in Canada than in Yokohama.

Anyone who wants to come home and is been cleared to fly will be checked out again at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, in Ontario, where the evacuation flight is expected to land at about 1:30 a.m. local time. Passengers are then to be moved on to quarantine at a hotel and conference centre in Cornwall, Ont., a few hundred kilometres east.

But those passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will remain in Japanese health facilities, Champagne said.

Forty-seven of about 250 Canadian passengers had been struck by the bug at last count, according to Canadian authorities.

“The best approach to dealing with Canadians who have been infected with the coronavirus in Japan is for them to be treated locally,” Champagne said in Ottawa after question period Wednesday.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu added that not only would transporting sick patients home to Canada pose a risk to others on the same plane, a long flight without the necessary health care on board could cause an infected person’s condition to deteriorate.

COVID-19 is thought to have an incubation period of about two weeks, and the evacuees will wait out that period in quarantine once they arrive home to make sure they don’t get sick and spread the illness in Canada”

From ABC Australia https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-20/cruise-ship-australians-arrive-darwin-for-coronavirus-quarantine/11981394

“About 180 Australians have landed in Darwin for a second 14-day quarantine period after being evacuated from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The Australians will be quarantined at a former workers' site 30 kilometres south-east of Darwin's CBD

The number of Australians aboard the ship testing positive for coronavirus rose by 10 to 46 overnight

No Australians who boarded the plane have tested positive for coronavirus

The plane landed just hours before Japanese public broadcaster NHK announced two passengers who had been aboard the cruise ship had died.

The passengers, who were confined to the ship to contain a coronavirus outbreak which infected at least 612 people, left Japan in the early hours of Thursday morning on an Australian Government-chartered evacuation flight.

They will be housed at the Howard Springs quarantine facility, which is currently home to 266 evacuees who were evacuated from Wuhan in China just over a week ago.

Health officials say the new group, which includes a considerable number of elderly people, will be separated from the Wuhan evacuees and undergo daily health checks.

A number of people have gone into isolation at the facility with sniffles and sore throats.

"There were six people off the plane that will be isolated and tested today, because they reported sniffles and sore throats at the end of their flight," NT acting chief health officer Dianne Stephens said.

"On the Diamond Princess, there has been a high attack rate and that is why we have brought them home to quarantine, because we are not sure the quarantine on the ship was perfect."”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Exactly.  If you know you'll need it in the near future and you can afford to buy it now, then buy now. If it turns out the supply chain is fine, then no harm. You're prepared early! 

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 

• Like 2

“Given uncertainties around how this bloody virus spreads (NEJM suggests asymptomatic & faecal oral both possible, >450/3000 got it despite quarantine & paranoia on a cruise nightmare) EVERY doctor & nurse should get enough N95 masks, goggles & suits. Sort it out Govt.”

tweet from the president of the Australian medical association (wa branch)

not reassuring.

• Like 1

“South Korea's first death from coronavirus is a man in his 60s who was hospitalized for schizophrenia for 20 years; a number of other patients also have the virus - BBC/Yonhap”

I guess that means this was another hospital acquired infection, sadly.

Also 3 more cases reported in Iran.  I suspect now testing is happening across local residents without travel history those cases will increase.

• Like 1

South Korea seems better able to test than many places.

For example, South America may have no cases reported because they only just started getting some test kits and training in how to test in the past couple of weeks.  If its test kits work, South Korea seems better able to test than USA. ???

South Korea also started to check those who show suspicious symptoms for the novel coronavirus as it grapples with new infections without links to existing cases or overseas travel.

The measure broadens screening for more people and make it easier to detect and isolate COVID-19 cases, the KCDC said.

Under the latest revision, front-line doctors will be allowed to actively conduct coronavirus tests if they think a person may have contracted the sickness.

South Korea has a capacity to conduct 5,000 coronavirus tests a day, but the figure will be increased to 10,000 by the end of the month.”

(Sorry about big type- on smartphone and can’t control that)

• Like 1

https://www.registerguard.com/news/20200218/staffer-on-cruise-ship-with-coronavirus-fears-breaks-quarantine-returns-to-eugene

The Comedian who broke quarantine and was smug about it— apparently he was fired by Holland America Cruise Line for breaking quarantine, and possibly also by the Arkansas cardiac conference he was rushing to get to...    

I hope going in opposite direction that those who did the right thing and stayed in their quarantines will be rewarded by bosses etc, not lose jobs 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Token apology for the uproar from his video.

It’s still possible to see him talking embedded in an article in sciencemag.org.  — but Wtm link feature isn’t working for me currently 

his discussion about bureaucrats being in charge and disaster management medical workers untrained in infection control trying to deal with the situation without proper infection control procedures and knowledge could be important in many places — and even just on a personal level if one were to find oneself in an area with cases

• Like 3

Call me nuts, but when I checked these numbers yesterday morning, they were higher than what we see now. For example, I saw 39 cases for the US. Then later in the day, the numbers dropped (US - 15). Typo maybe? I thought perhaps other cases were found among evacuees. Faulty tests corrected? I'm so confused. I know I saw those numbers...https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Call me nuts, but when I checked these numbers yesterday morning, they were higher than what we see now. For example, I saw 39 cases for the US. Then later in the day, the numbers dropped (US - 15). Typo maybe? I thought perhaps other cases were found among evacuees. Faulty tests corrected? I'm so confused. I know I saw those numbers...https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I think the main difference is whether DP cases are credited to DP or to country of origin, or to where they are now.  

US military in South Korea may also be a statistical gray area.  

There were 14 positive by test on airlift planes, known before departure, Which would be 29.  Maybe another 10 from there or somewhere.  

I am concerned about military personnel and families and staff at military bases being used to quarantine.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Looks like only one new case for Singapore today which sounds positive

1 hour ago, Pen said:

How do they attribute “days”?  Is the “day” over for counting in Singapore? 

GMT+8, 16 hours ahead of Pacific Time. It’s 10:44pm there.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/1-new-covid-19-case-in-singapore-3-more-patients-discharged-12453774

“The latest confirmed case is a 36-year-old male work pass holder from China. 

He has no recent travel history to China and is currently warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID).

Contact tracing is under way to establish any links to previous cases or travel history to China.”

• Thanks 1

From SCMP https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3051499/coronavirus-nightmare-cruise-finally-over-diamond

“The cruise ship ordeal for about 150 Hongkongers stuck in Japan was set to continue into Friday night, as rival governments competed for airlift slots and the number of locals infected with Covid-19 on the Diamond Princess jumped by 10 on Thursday to 65.

Officials said their plan to evacuate more residents on Thursday night had to be abandoned when Tokyo said another territory had priority, confirming an earlier Post report that the second flight would be delayed.

Immigration director Erick Tsang Kwok-wai said he hoped some of the stranded Hong Kong residents could return on a chartered flight as early as 6pm on Friday, but no later than midnight on Saturday. A third flight could depart on Saturday if required.

The seriously ill woman, a senior citizen, was being cared for in St Marianna Medical University Hospital in Kawasaki, according to Cheng, who has been supporting the patient and her family. Her husband is still on board the cruise liner.

Cheng added: “The doctors here are not familiar with the medical history of these patients, so I hope the Hong Kong government can bring a group of Hong Kong doctors specialising in infectious diseases to assist some 50 Hong Kong patients in Japan.”

Four holidaymakers from Hong Kong have refused to be airlifted home. Two of them were immediately sent into quarantine after flying back to the city on their accord, a Department of Health spokesman said.

Newly released Yardley Wong was accused of threatening public health after she was pictured enjoying the food and drink scene in one of Tokyo’s busiest areas.

Wong, who has tested negative for Covid-19, was blasted on social media over a trip she took to Shinjuku when freed from the coronavirus-stricken cruise ship on Wednesday afternoon.

Wong was subjected to a barrage of criticism after she posted pictures online from her hotel room in Shinjuku, one of Tokyo’s most crowded areas, as well as images of her dining and drinking in a Japanese restaurant.

Some internet users said she should not be allowed to travel freely in the country. One accused her of “spreading the disease” to which Wong replied: “You are spreading hate and racism.”

Unhappy with quarantine site

After inspecting his room at the Fo Tan estate, returnee David Yeung Kun-wah told the Postthat he found the conditions “totally unacceptable”.

“I am not asking for a luxurious place, but it has to be at least clean,” the 70-year-old said. “Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor should come here and stay for a night to see for herself.”

The floor was not tiled, the concrete still exposed and the 150 sq ft room meant for him and his wife was dusty, he said.

“Imagine a family with children crawling around on the floor,” Yeung said.

The room is furnished with a table and some chairs, as well as a water boiler and a hair dryer. Instead of a wardrobe, there is a small rack for clothes and there is no washing machine. There was also no toilet paper, Yeung said.

Food is to be delivered to those staying at the estate, and residents need to check their body temperature every day, and write it down on a form.

The lawmaker felt Japanese authorities had not yet developed a way to handle the infected cases, while hospitals he visited looked just like a normal hospital.

“For the whole system, in these few days, I feel that they have not had a great sense of awareness of [virus] prevention, to handle the potential outbreak they would face,” he said.

Chan said he shared a room with another infected Hong Kong man, and four other infected locals. They used a public toilet in the aisle with other patients.

“I used to have premature atrial contractions in my heart in the past, but I have had regular visits to the doctors,” he said in text messages from his bed at the Chiba East Hospital, east of Tokyo.

His wife, 70, has had to remain on board the cruise ship because she was considered to have had close contact with an infected patient. She has stayed inside their cabin, which Chan said had not been disinfected.

Chan said he hoped the Hong Kong government would allow people such as his wife to take the chartered flight home, a request that has so far been rejected.”

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pen said:

How do they attribute “days”?  Is the “day” over for counting in Singapore? 

Well I don’t know if they do just that they usually post once a day at around midnight my time with new cases and yesterday there was only one.  Japan seem to release their new cases more frequently.

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

“Walmart and Sam’s Clubs sourced more than $11 billion from diverse suppliers in the U.S.

According to data from our suppliers, approximately two-thirds of what we spend to buy products for Walmart U.S. goes toward items that are made, sourced or grown in the U.S.” https://corporate.walmart.com/esgreport/social#inclusive-sourcing

Notice this says made, sourced OR grown--not AND.

Many items that are made in the US are still sourced from China. Conversely, many items made in China contain at least one material or component sourced in the US.

I'm convinced that the percentage of items we buy that have some connection to China--either through sourcing or production--is much, much greater than this figure suggests.
Supply and production chains are so globalized that MADE IN USA or MADE IN CHINA doesn't mean there haven't been multiple international transactions prior to production. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Notice this says made, sourced OR grown--not AND.

Many items that are made in the US are still sourced from China. Conversely, many items made in China contain at least one material or component sourced in the US.

I'm convinced that the percentage of items we buy that have some connection to China--either through sourcing or production--is much, much greater than this figure suggests.
Supply and production chains are so globalized that MADE IN USA or MADE IN CHINA doesn't mean there haven't been multiple international transactions prior to production. 

We have these lovely labelling laws here now where they tell you what percentage is Australian.   If it’s ham for example 99pc is a good indication that the pork is local and only one of the treatments used in preparing it was imported.  Whereas 17pc tells me it’s imported pork possibly plumped or seasoned locally.  It’s very helpful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have these lovely labelling laws here now where they tell you what percentage is Australian.   If it’s ham for example 99pc is a good indication that the pork is local and only one of the treatments used in preparing it was imported.  Whereas 17pc tells me it’s imported pork possibly plumped or seasoned locally.  It’s very helpful.

Totally jealous.  Here it's nearly impossible to know if something was sourced here, sent away for manufacturing, and back again or sourced elsewhere and brought here for finishing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I am well aware. Supply chain management (international logistics of computer parts) was part of my job scope. 

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Clorox wipes container just says ingredients are globally sourced 😛

The pork could be local Australia and the can or platter it’s on is not.  I love Air Pork from Australia, can’t find it in US.

• Like 2

Have we talked about drug shortages yet?  I follow ww.ashp.org pretty closely because I have a complex medical life and some of the drugs I need to stay alive go into shortage pretty frequently.  I sometimes spend 6-8 hours a month tracking down meds between different pharmacies. 

I had surgery done last week and because of the shortage of iv benadryl, I had to swallow caplets beforehand.  Same with an antibiotic.  Seriously.  Supply still hasn't bounced back post-Puerto Rico hurricane. (A lot of meds are made there.)  I wasn't in critical need, so I got switched to oral meds to save supply. 

With India now cutting off shipments of some things, it's growing worrisome.

https://theprint.in/health/india-to-curb-export-of-antibiotics-vitamins-as-coronavirus-crisis-hits-supplies-from-china/368229/

39 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I am well aware. Supply chain management (international logistics of computer parts) was part of my job scope. 

Clorox wipes container just says ingredients are globally sourced 😛

The pork could be local Australia and the can or platter it’s on is not.  I love Air Pork from Australia, can’t find it in US.

Yeah laws are only on food products I think 

I’m picky with pork because we have pig farmer friends and the whole industry is at risk from African swine flu being brought in with imported pork.  

31 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have we talked about drug shortages yet?  I follow ww.ashp.org pretty closely because I have a complex medical life and some of the drugs I need to stay alive go into shortage pretty frequently.  I sometimes spend 6-8 hours a month tracking down meds between different pharmacies. 

I had surgery done last week and because of the shortage of iv benadryl, I had to swallow caplets beforehand.  Same with an antibiotic.  Seriously.  Supply still hasn't bounced back post-Puerto Rico hurricane. (A lot of meds are made there.)  I wasn't in critical need, so I got switched to oral meds to save supply. 

With India now cutting off shipments of some things, it's growing worrisome.

https://theprint.in/health/india-to-curb-export-of-antibiotics-vitamins-as-coronavirus-crisis-hits-supplies-from-china/368229/

Meds is definitely one of the scarier things and because they are often prescription based you can’t really stock up.

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Meds is definitely one of the scarier things and because they are often prescription based you can’t really stock up.

This is part of my family's life too. My kids can't miss doses on their seizure medications, or they could die. It would be devastating for my family, but my kids running out of those wouldn't affect the rest of my community. 

One of our kids is on multiple heavy duty antipsychotics, one of which was in a shortage for quite a while because of a manufacturer discontinuing it. We had several emergencies where it was not available at any pharmacy in our state and none was available to order. We needed to use the hospital. Imagining a community where people don't have access to the meds that keep their lives stable is very scary indeed.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have been able to build up some stock of prescription meds in the past--our pharmacy/insurance allows for a refill when a few doses are still left from the last prescription; by consistently refilling early it is possible to build up an extra stock over time--not an extra year's worth, but an extra month or two.

• Like 3

One of the 5 cases in Iran is a doctor

according to a tweet from Iran international (credibility) people are asked not to attend hospitals or medical centres in Qom due to novel coronavirus.

One comment indicated that there’s been some kind of civil works project with a large number of fly-in workers from China so maybe the arrival there isn’t so surprising.

• Like 1

Twitter dude who decided not to return with the us quarantine site has described his release etc.  returning via a taxi cab to the hotel.  Someone posted a pic of the Japanese letter they had requesting they stay home as much as possible and monitor symptoms and his response was that it was a request not an order.  They did all have to test negative to be released but then some negative tests have been followed up by positives later.  That’s why we do quarantine not just testing everyone. 

Twitter post

How the hell did no one in Geneva at @WHO's briefing ask about China's vacillating approach to confirming cases of #COVID19?

Head of World Heath Organisations response

“It's warm and sunny today in #Geneva. Perhaps this hint of spring fever went to their heads. Good thing we do regular press conferences. Many opportunities to ask questions!”

“To hold back the virus, Beijing enacted a law recently that said all people coming to the capital must be quarantined for 14 days. Violators will be punished by law. Authorities fear an influx of migrant workers returning to Beijing could pose potential dangers of wider infection for the city.”

hmmm.  And yet want other countries to lift restrictions on travel to/from China?

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Twitter dude who decided not to return with the us quarantine site has described his release etc.  returning via a taxi cab to the hotel.  Someone posted a pic of the Japanese letter they had requesting they stay home as much as possible and monitor symptoms and his response was that it was a request not an order.  They did all have to test negative to be released but then some negative tests have been followed up by positives later.  That’s why we do quarantine not just testing everyone. 

Ugh.  Reminds me a little of the Comedian dude. 

Did he reveal his travel plans?

I guess he’s not the only one— there were news reports of Japanese residents upset by other ship evacuees going about in public places.  

The ship seems an even higher risk place to have been than Wuhan.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

From CBS news https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-infections-latest-news-updates-2020-02-20/

“4 coronavirus patients being transferred from California to Washington state

Four Americans who have tested positive for coronavirus are being transferred from a military base in Northern California to a hospital in Washington state, health officials said Thursday. Two patients arrived at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, Washington, Thursday morning, according to Dr. Bob Lutz, the region's health officer.

The other two patients were expected to arrive at the hospital in the afternoon, Lutz told reporters at a press conference. The two patients who had already arrived were in stable condition, according to Christa Arguinchona, manager of the Spokane hospital's special pathogens unit.

All four patients were coming from Travis Air Force Base in California, Lutz said. Late Sunday night, 171 passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan arrived at the base, but Arguinchona said she didn't know where the four patients were before they came to the base.

She said the hospital was initially told it would be treating five patients and the number was later changed to four.”

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Nope 

it’s possible based on his posting style that he actually won’t do anything stupid he’s just pushing back.  

I hope that’s true.  I guess on the ship he was being quite careful—staying completely inside other than own balcony and even in when nearby balconies were occupied.  However, if he and his wife were exposed via common air system or via workers or surfaces they might still turn positive. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

From CBS news https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-infections-latest-news-updates-2020-02-20/

“4 coronavirus patients being transferred from California to Washington state

Four Americans who have tested positive for coronavirus are being transferred from a military base in Northern California to a hospital in Washington state, health officials said Thursday. Two patients arrived at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, Washington, Thursday morning, according to Dr. Bob Lutz, the region's health officer.

The other two patients were expected to arrive at the hospital in the afternoon, Lutz told reporters at a press conference. The two patients who had already arrived were in stable condition, according to Christa Arguinchona, manager of the Spokane hospital's special pathogens unit.

All four patients were coming from Travis Air Force Base in California, Lutz said. Late Sunday night, 171 passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan arrived at the base, but Arguinchona said she didn't know where the four patients were before they came to the base.

She said the hospital was initially told it would be treating five patients and the number was later changed to four.”

There’s a report on channel 7 that there are flu symptoms among some of the diamond princess evacuees here.

• Like 1