Menu

New cooktop - induction or regular electric

Sherry in OH

We need to replace our built-in cooktop.  Current cooktop is electric coil.   My preference has always been gas but that isn't realistic in this house.  It must be electric.    Dh thinks we should look at induction.  Is it worth the added cost?  I am also concerned about the buzzing noise mentioned in some reviews.  If you have an induction cooktop do you notice a noise when you use it?   Also dials or touch pad?   We are looking for a 30" cooktop.

With induction we would have the added expense of new cookware. Our current cookware is a mostly traditional Calphalon  and glass.

Just my opinion, but I would rather have coil, and spend my money on something other than cookwear (if I had Calaphon). 

I dont like touch pad if it is padded with plastic, iykwim. I find it splits and doesn't stay as nice. It is easier to wipe clean, though, but I had touchpad on my dishwasher and my stove and they wore out quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love my smooth top range.  I had one for years and when it broke we decided to save money and buy a coil one and I really didn't like it near as much.  We replaced our stove (oven/range) last year and I insisted on getting a smooth top again.  I have not noticed any buzzing noise from ours.  I would go with dials instead of touch pad, but I am not sure it makes a huge difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had my induction range (GE Profile) for about 3 years now and I love it. I had a glass top before and this one is so much easier to keep clean; it still looks brand new. Spills don't burn onto it they way they did with the glass top. It heats up much faster than the glass top electric, but I've never used gas, so I don't know how it compares to that. I had to get new cookware, too, but heard about Tramontina on this board and bought a set at Walmart. The whole set was less than $150, I think.

I went back and forth about whether the induction was worth the extra cost, but I am so glad I decided to splurge!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Induction. It is much more responsive and powerful than a traditional electric stove. Also more efficient -  all the energy goes directly to your pans, unlike gas or traditional electric. I have not noticed a buzzing noise while using induction, but the induction stove is in a kitchen with an industrial hood that makes a fair amount of noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had gas, electric,  and induction.  I am currently using induction since gas isn't available.  I will never go back to electric if possible.  Induction is much more consistent and allows for instant off and a quick boil. My KA electric smooth cooktop couldn't compete. I use all clad cookware and cast iron and everything works well together. Induction cooktops have come down in price too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had induction since 2010.  I had it less than a month before informing my husband we would never own another range that wasn't induction.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. You have the speed and control of gas but no mess of burnt on anything on the stovetop.  If I boil something over, lift pan, wipe burner (with it still on, the glass never gets hot enough to burn even a paper towel) set pan back down (or just wait and wipe it up later, it won't  burn to the glass).  I do a lot of  water bath canning, my old coil stove took an hour to bring it to a boil, induction EIGHTEEN minutes.  It's fast, it's clean, and it doesn't release tons of heat into the air so YOU don't overheat while cooking.  Instant temp change, something on the verge of boiling over - just drop the temp and it instantly stops.  I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

As far as the buzzing, the only time I get that (and I've have had 2 different units and they both acted the same) was when I put something very cold in the pan and then crank the temp.  AKA frozen veggies (I cook 5 pounds at a time, I don't know if this issue would occur with smaller amounts) and power boost, I'll get a bit of hum until the veggies warm up and then it stops.  But it's not loud and nothing I find objectionable.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Thanks 2

My last stove purchase was a smooth topped electric range with two ovens. (An oven and a half.)  It was such a game changer from electric coil and one oven.  The smooth top serves as extra counter/prep space when you're not cooking and I use both ovens more than I ever thought I would.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1