Menu

Is there an “older beginner” or “adult” path? I don’t use Hoffman (I teach piano), but almost every series has more than one starting point, with them all blending together a bit down the road. 

• Like 1

My ds dislikes the kiddy finger puppet stuff but I have been able to convince him to continue with it and just tune it out because the quality of instruction is good.  It doesn’t even really bother him now.  I do allow him to fast forward some of those bits.  It would be lovely if there was an older learner version but it’s ok.

However I am only using the free option.  I might feel differently if I had money tied up in it.

• Like 1

Yes, we've used it with teens who started with Unit 1. Now they are in the higher units and there is less of the babyish stuff. My kids hate the finger puppets and the other babyish stuff. I also let them fast forward through it. But the instruction is so solid and the accountability built into the practice sessions is exactly what we need. 

I have paid for 3 different piano teachers in the past and none of them worked for my kids. That was a lot of money down the drain. When I purchased a lifetime membership with Hoffman after seeing how great it was, I just told my kids to suck it up and deal with the finger puppets and all.  Especially for my ds16, he really enjoys it now. It started to become more enjoyable around Units 6-7. 

• Like 3

We bought the lifetime when they had the kickstarter multiple years ago and my boys still like it. We are moving *very* slowly through it. My kids liked the finger puppets when they were younger--I am not even sure if there are any now. We are in Unit 8 now.  

We do print the units--when you get past a certain unit (not sure which) there are worksheets they need to complete. Plus they often have sheet music to refer to.  

We are going super slow, as I mentioned, but considering I am totally hands-off with it, I am really happy with the program. We could have chosen to spend a lot more time on it. It just wasn't my priority or my kids'.  The only thing I worry about is that we won't get through it before they graduate. LOL.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So, @aaplank - did you print out the units for your kids?

Yes, I pre-printed everything out for one unit and put it into a 3 ring binder so it stays open and flat when sitting on the piano. I put the worksheets needed with the lesson. I also print the cover page and put it into the front of the view binder. As they progress through the units, sometimes they have to go back unit or two to play a particular song, so it's helpful to have the binders labeled with the unit number. 

• Like 3

All of my kids are required to do atleast 3 units (a year) of piano via Hoffman around age 7/8.  And my three oldest (10, 11, 12) are still using it to this day (probably the for the last year for my oldest two as they have nearly completed the program).  The maturity does advance along with the student, so I suggest just rushing through the first 2 or 3 units.  

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 3

My two oldest will finish up this year.  They will both be 12 and started at 7/9 respectively. (She caught up to his lead today in fact).

My son will likely drop piano as he can play the simple piano music he wants to play, and his main interest has been guitar for the last few years anyways.  My daughter will go on to weekly lessons with an instructor as she has enough talent and interest to make that investment worth it. 

We have used Hoffman since before the Kickstarter and I got lifetime memberships for all my kids then (including my then infant, who will start next year at 5yo). I have nothing but good to say about them. It is sort of targeted at young kids, but the quality of instruction is so good that I would probably go ahead and use it for an older kid. My oldest is about to "graduate" from it. She's almost done with the last unit available and I don't know what I'm going to do with her.

Printing it all out is definitely tedious and I don't find that part particularly user friendly. I wish there was an easy way to print the sheet music for all the units separately since I'd like to have my kids go back and easily practice old pieces, but oh well. One of these days I'll just go in and do it manually. 

They are constantly improving the program, and appreciate feedback. So be sure to share any thoughts you have with them.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Aman K said:

Can I get the notes soft copy from Hoffman academy somewhere? Can't afford the premium access but really want to make it available for my kid. He got really interested in the teaching style.

I'm not sure what you're asking. It seems like you are asking if there is somewhere to get pirated materials? I hope not. I would suggest contacting them and seeing if they can work with you. They seem a really kind company.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. It seems like you are asking if there is somewhere to get pirated materials? I hope not. I would suggest contacting them and seeing if they can work with you. They seem a really kind company.

In their store, you can buy the materials for some units individually. It's about $20/unit.

1 hour ago, MeaganS said:

I meant if someone has bought it and can share the account or is willing to sell it back?