Menu

Dr Hive...sore throat

mmasc

need advice...

Last Wednesday, I woke up with a sore throat and headache. It seemed like I was probably dealing with a cold by the end of the day. I’ve had headache, sore throat, and slight congestion, no runny nose really. Slight cough. My throat is so sore especially in the morning that I have to take ibuprofen throughout the day to function. I feel like it’s not a sinus infection bc I’m not having the teeth and face pain like I usually have with one. So here is my main question...is there *any* way this could be strep? I feel like it’s post nasal drip caused by a viral infection, in which case I would not go to the doctor. But if there’s any chance it’s strep, I’d like to get on abx and get over this. I’ve only had strep as an adult once, and it was horrible. Not like this at all. That time I had fever and was wiped out and stayed in bed. One child has a sore throat too. His seems to hurt pretty bad one day and then not so much the next. We’re on Day 8.

opinions? Thanks!

Yes, it can be milder.  Definitely get tested as now a kid might have it too.  Could be the flu also.  Wear a mask wherever you go to get checked.  For your protection as much as protecting others.  Your resistance is lowered and you don't want to come home with something you don't have already.

Edited by mlktwins
Should not type on my little phone :-)
  • Thanks 1

Also, if you don't want to get to a doctor's office, I went last week to Minute Clinic in Target and was diagnosed with the flu.  They can do all the same testing and you can get your scripts right there at the pharmacy if needed.  You can check on-line to see what the wait is and even make appointments.

If it is strep, at least some ABX should start helping you and definitely help the child quicker.  Keep us posted!

• Thanks 1

Ok, I’m going to go ahead and get myself checked out. My doctor’s office is able to see me this morning (surprising!), so I’ll do my appt first and see what the results are. Depending on that, I will check on taking in ds. His clinic can’t see him this morning, so I’ll go first and see what happens. 🙂 If it is strep, then I’ll just take him in to an urgent care so he can get started on meds right away. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

Well, dr said it’s either sinus infection or strep, either of which needs antibiotics, so he didn’t swab me. Guess I’ll take my ds in and get him checked. *sigh*

See if they’ll just prescribe for him without seeing him. My kids’ pediatrician will sometimes do that if one of the other kids has been seen for the same symptoms and was prescribed antibiotics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Well, dr said it’s either sinus infection or strep, either of which needs antibiotics, so he didn’t swab me. Guess I’ll take my ds in and get him checked. *sigh*

I wish he would have checked you anyway since you have a kid with a sore throat :-(.  But...I'm glad you are on some meds and hope you and your son are feeling better soon!  I had 6 days of fever with the flu.  No fun being sick!!!

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I wish he would have checked you anyway since you have a kid with a sore throat :-(.  But...I'm glad you are on some meds and hope you and your son are feeling better soon!  I had 6 days of fever with the flu.  No fun being sick!!!

I know...me too. ☹️ He explained fairly well why he was choosing not to, so I kind of felt awkward saying ‘but it will help me home diagnose my kid’. Maybe I should’ve asked for it anyway. I’m so awkward in those situations, plus just felt cruddy. My regular doctor is out on maternity leave and I’d never seen this doctor. I guess I’ll take ds in tomorrow if he still feels bad. 

I’ve been reading your sick thread and I’m so glad you and your family are finally feeling better. Hopefully only healthy days ahead!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mmasc said:

I know...me too. ☹️ He explained fairly well why he was choosing not to, so I kind of felt awkward saying ‘but it will help me home diagnose my kid’. Maybe I should’ve asked for it anyway. I’m so awkward in those situations, plus just felt cruddy. My regular doctor is out on maternity leave and I’d never seen this doctor. I guess I’ll take ds in tomorrow if he still feels bad. 

I’ve been reading your sick thread and I’m so glad you and your family are finally feeling better. Hopefully only healthy days ahead!

Thank you!  It's been a long couple of weeks at my house too!!!  I don't like being sick -- LOL!  I was so very thankful my dad didn't get it!  I would have been taking care of him while I was so sick too!

How are you feeling today?  Any change with the meds?  How about your son?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you!  It's been a long couple of weeks at my house too!!!  I don't like being sick -- LOL!  I was so very thankful my dad didn't get it!  I would have been taking care of him while I was so sick too!

How are you feeling today?  Any change with the meds?  How about your son?

I’m so glad your dad didn’t get it! I was really hoping you wouldn’t be dealing with that while sick yourself. 

Thank you so much for asking. I do feel better today, so whatever it is was affected by two doses of Augmentin. My tummy doesn’t like this strong antibiotic though. 😞. I’m taking my ds to the dr this afternoon. He says he’s better today, but is still whispering so he’s going to the dr, even though he hates it! He knows a swab is coming and those just never feel good on an already-sore throat. I’ll update later for curious minds following my throat thread. 😊

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 3

Well, the rapid strep test came back negative, which actually surprised me since ds’s symptoms are sore throat and low fever...no coughing, runny nose, etc. They did send off a sample too, which I’m glad about. The dr was actually surprised he hasn’t complained of his ears hurting bc she said they were very red inside, and one was quite a bit worse than the other. And that his lymph nodes are pretty swollen. She prescribed antibiotics. Hopefully they help him feel better soon!

ETA: thank you all for encouraging us to go in! Even if it isn’t strep, we still have something going on that needed attention. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 3

DD14 was sick with something that included a very sore throat, coughing, and a 100 degree fever. Urgent care swabbed for strep, and it was negative. They diagnosed flu, based on symptoms, but didn't test, because they said that they would give the same prescription either way. It was not an antibiotic, but a prescription cold and cough pill.

I'm not convinced that it was flu, because she had a flu shot (I know it's still possible to get it), none of the rest of us got it, and she recovered fairly quickly. I think there is a virus of some sort going around. 200 kids from our district were out sick today and over 100 yesterday. The kids were told by teachers that it was enough students that the school could have canceled school for everyone, if they had known early enough that there would be that many kids out.

It could be the flu, I guess, but it appeared different to me.

• Like 1

@Storygirl I agree that your dd’s situation doesn’t sound like the flu. It would be pretty unlikely for nobody in the family to get it if it was. 

they didn’t suspect flu at all in my son’s case...didn’t swab or mention it.  I think maybe bc of the lack of coughing? And no nose stuff maybe? I think it was probably some nasty virus like you said, that probably turned into bacterial infection in our sinuses. He and I both struggle with sinus infections when we contract upper respiratory illnesses. The nurse did say that the highest offenders currently that they’re seeing is RSV and strep. She said both strains of flu, too, of course, but more of the other two things. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I’m glad you’re both on antibiotics. Augmentin is strong stuff. Make sure you eat something with it and get on a probiotic.

Thank you. Yeah, 3 doses in and I figured that out. ☹️ My tummy is not liking it. I just ordered some probiotics from amazon based on recs from another thread. I’ll have to wait until Sunday to get them unfortunately, but I guess I’ll have to. 

I knew nothing about taking probiotics while and after antibiotic use until that other thread today. Can anybody tell me if these will be enough to help my son who is also on antibiotics? https://www.olly.com/products/kids-multi-probioticOr does he need something that’s just a plain probiotic? (He’s never taken these vitamins; I just happen to have a new bottle of them)

I do plan on both of us drinking a cup of kefir each day.

5 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

How are you feeling? Hopefully you are well on the mend by now!!!

Oh my goodness, yes! SO much better. Thank you so much for asking. I’m still sort of expecting my ds’s doctor to call tomorrow and say yep, that culture was indeed strep. My ds and I both just responded so quickly to the antibiotic and our sore throats were basically gone in a day. 

I hope you and your family stay healthy! It takes so long to regain strength and health it seems after an illness (especially flu like you had!).

I feel like hibernating bc I’m so anxious to get the flu or something after having been sick for 10 days already. I can’t take any.more.illness. right now in this house or I’m gonna’ lose it!

• Like 1