Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

6th grade 2020-2021 Planning

I'm seeing these popping up for other grades so here we go. The Girl will be in 6th in the fall.

Lang Arts: A Work In Progress at the Moment

Math- Saxon 65 and 76

History/Geography- Likely History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients, if the new version is ready. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Maybe All American History.

Science- BJU Science 6 DLO. It gets done. (unless we are moving to the UK; in which case, HELP!! BJU dlo isn't available there, so they say.)

Art- She does this all on her own. 

Other Stuff: Church Youth Group and helping teach Captain. She is REALLY looking forward to helping teach Captain (3 yr old son).

Edited by Paradox5
Always going to be changes
  • Like 1

MHistory/literature: Tapestry of Grace 2

Science:not sure yet. We tend to blend textbooks with unit studies. She is my naturalist. 

Math:Saxon 76

Language Arts:probably IEW—although we might start Jump In towards the end of the year; Rod and Staff English, Spelling Power, Pentime, Daily Language Review

Foreign Language:Duolingo Dutch  or German.

music: She would love saxophone lessons 

art: co-op classes

PE: Taekwando; daily runs 

other: youth group, Scouts, First Lego Robotics if the team continues, soccer.  I would love her to do some drama/theater but I don’t think it will happen next year.  

Edited by freesia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

She is REALLY looking forward to helping teach Captain.

Who, or what, is Captain?

These threads are great for getting my shadowy list of ideas recorded. For once the list thread is out before I've done any paper planning, so this is my first stab at it, but my 3rd and last 7th grader.

Math: AOPS Pre-algebra (this will already have been started, and even so I doubt she will finish next year, but I'm in no rush)

History: Medieval times, plus we will run a separate American History thread with the Critical Thinking books.

Language Arts: continue Spelling Power, start Analytical Grammar, dabble in Killgallon, WWS1, and hmmm, i'll have to see what else I have around. Oh, 6th grade is a good time to do sorry stories and Figurative Language, I have that all mapped out from last time.

Science: finish up the BFSU series, and supplement with some Ellen McHenry stuff.

Foreign Language: I think she will be fine with Latin, continue with casual Spanish here at home, and perhaps outsource German (her choice)

Outside activities include ballet and the occasional ad hoc art class. Currently we do a Thursday afternoon social co-op, but she told me this week that she isn't interested for next year. We'll see if that sticks. I would be happy to skip that commitment.

• Like 2

My oldest will be 6th grade this "fall" (we start in July).

Language Arts: second half(ish) of Grammar for the Well Trained Mind, Spelling Workout E (maybe, I might stop formal spelling and address it as needed). Composition - I think take a break from MP and do IEW Medieval History-based Writing. Maybe half a year of each using Cheria and Maxim.

Math: Math Mammoth 6b and 7a, I might choose select chapters from 7a and 7b to get that year done to start Algebra in 7th grade. Still have to look into that.

Latin: First Form Latin 

Literature: MP 6th grade Lit package, focuses on the middle ages

Continue MP's sequence for history/classics to include Christian Studies III, Famous Men of the Middle Ages, and Geography II with a Book of Centuries instead of MP's Timeline.

Science: Catholic Heritage Curricula's Life Science. I plan on following Novare for the rest of middle school.

Religion: Faith and Life book 6, whatever that title is and Virtues in Practice from the Dominican Sisters in Nashville.

Fine Arts: Charlotte Mason style poet and artist studies. MP Music Appreciation, pick up where we leave off this year. Continuing piano lessons.

Plus Scouts BSA, Relgious Ed at church, and maybe Taekwondo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Who, or what, is Captain?

He is my 3 yr old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I'm seeing these popping up for other grades so here we go.

The Girl will be in 6th in the fall.

History/Geography- Likely History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients, if the new version is ready. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Maybe All American History.

Science- BJU Science 6 using DLO. It gets done.

Spelling- BJU Spelling 6 DLO. I'm debating whether she needs this or not. I really believe her spelling will improve through actually writing.

Math- BJU Math 6 DLO or she may try VT Algebra. We will see how the rest of this year goes.

Other Lang Arts: Depending on how MCT goes, either continue on or try something else. I want to make her a reading list, as well.

Art- She does this all on her own.

Other Stuff: Church Youth Group and helping teach Captain. She is REALLY looking forward to helping teach Captain.

Wait, there’s a new version of level 2 HO coming out???

We are mostly doing the next levels of what we are doing now, so that will be:

LA:  R&S spelling 7, WWS 2, Fix-It 3, Kolbe Elementary Literature

History:  Story of Civilization 3 with WTM and CWH non-fiction supplements

Extras:  friendly defenders, living Faith kids, ccmemory, MP art cards, Hoffman Academy, Classics for Kids, home art studio

new stuff:

Math:  Sadly we have come to the end of the line with math mammoth.  Probably going with Jacobs Algebra, but Foerster is still under consideration.

Science:  novare physical science most likely, but possibly chc life science

Religion:  my Path to Heaven

Edited by Syllieann

Math: AoPS intro to algebra

Logic: continue w/ Blast Off w/Logic series and misc. Mind Benders books.

Science: Astronomy/Earth science (w/help from DH, an astronomy teacher)

HistoryMedieval-Early Renaissance, using Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, The Story of Science, and Light to the Nations P1;  reading lists from Living Math U2

Foreign Language: Little Latin Readers, level 4, then start Henle; also considering Portuguese Saturday school.

Language arts: Spelling Workout F; Grammar for the Well Trained Mind, red book; Writing With Ease SKILL level 1

Cursive: Zaner-Bloser 6, unless he makes great strides over the rest of this year.

Literature: assigned books from the WTM reading list plus whatever else he wants to read, he usually has several non-school books going at once

Sports: He plays sports fall, winter, and spring. We will put in place a daily workout routine of bodyweight exercises and cardio, maybe add in some readings and call it "health class".

Misc.: He'll keep working through Code Combat for Python coding; typing program online; he's going to start some weekly cooking & baking lessons with me; we will learn some needlepoint skills together as a family

Music: This one is up in the air - I need to find a way to fit piano and/or saxophone lessons into the budget.

Edited by Noreen Claire
WWS, not WWE!
  • Like 1

Math - AOPS Intros to Counting & Probability and Number Theory

Coding - University of Michigan's Coursera Python Progression

Logic - Outsourced class

Literature - Reading list plus a couple Glencoe guides

Writing - Finish IEW Ancient History theme guide and then probably slowly start WWS

Spelling - AAS

Grammar - Maybe Analytical Grammar

History - Human Odyssey Ancients, plus OUP books, MapQuest and Notebooking

Geography - Homemade study of "Around the World"

Science - Mr. Q Advanced Earth Science

Spanish - Reading novels, ULAT, Duolingo, plus immersion class

Art - "Regular" art class and Comic book drawing class

Music - Playground Sessions piano

Extras - Gym, Sign Language, Public Speaking, Chess club

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hands-on-mama said:

Wait, there’s a new version of level 2 HO coming out???

They had said on their facebook page somewhere that they were planning on redoing it. No timeframe was given. I was just hoping it would be done by this fall. My guess is probably not as they are pretty focused on the next level of History Quest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

They had said on their facebook page somewhere that they were planning on redoing it. No timeframe was given. I was just hoping it would be done by this fall. My guess is probably not as they are pretty focused on the next level of History Quest.

I’m not sure how I missed this! Probably stupid Facebook algorithms. 

My oldest will be in 6th grade this fall. 

• Reading: mom-selected books.
  • Computer skills: coding (Python - not sure what resource); typing (Typing Instructor).
  • Math: AOPS Intro to Algebra.
  • History: K12 Human Odyssey, volume 2 (possibly finishing up volume 1 first...not sure if we'll get through all of it this year).
  • Science: the topic will be physics, but I haven't yet started looking at options for resources.
  • Writing: Writing & Rhetoric, books 7-8.
  • Foreign Language: I'm really not sure. She'll have finished Big Book of Lively Latin (both 1 and 2) at the end of this year. Starting Wheelock's is a possibility, or starting a modern language of her choosing. 
  • Grammar: if we do grammar, it'll be Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind at about half-pace. But we may continue the "grammar break" we've been on this year.

She'll also continue with piano lessons and children's choir.

• Like 2

Eldest will be in sixth.  This has changed three four times already.

Math: Nurk/Telma Mathematics 6, in Russian

Language Arts: Apples & Pears for spelling in English.  Mom designed LotR study for English and Russian literature and composition.

Latin: Second Form Latin + Mima Maxie for sight reading;

Greek:MP Greek Alphabet followed by Crosby & Shaeffer or Athenaze taught by DH.

AP European history, physical science and French at co-op.

Confirmation class.

Continue with violin and maybe start piano.

Edited by mms
Keep brainstorming and plans changing.

My youngest will be in 6th next year. He’s young for his grade (November birthday) and dyslexic so his school plan will end up looking like somewhere between 4th and 6th. We call him 6th for now because he fits better socially with older kids. He’s used to hanging out with older kids and is very tall and physically strong/coordinated for his age. We may end up adding a year for him before 9th grade but that’s too far out to decide. For now we just keep moving ahead from where he’s at. 

Math: Keep going with SM. I’m guessing he’ll be in 5B by next fall. I have 6 in both the US edition and Dimensions so we’ll continue with one of those when he’s done with 5B. 

History: Diana Waring History Revealed Ancients with DD3 (8th). I’ll read a lot aloud, we’ll listen to the CD’s, try to find some books at his reading level, watch videos, and he’ll do the projects. I think he’ll enjoy the options for projects. I just have to figure out how to schedule it. 

Science: I’ll use something I have. Probably Science in the Beginning. He was very little wen we last did this. I also have all of the Apologia Young Explorers books as an option. 

English: This year we’ve been using LLATL Yellow. It’s only the third grade level but that’s where he’s at. It’s been a good fit and is getting done. He’s made a lot of progress in reading and writing this year (spelling not so much) so we may be able to skip a level if we stay with this. I’m also considering a switch to IEW. I’ve used some of their stuff before with my girls and like it. And I like the looks of the new student intensives that are out. I’d pair that with Fix-it Grammar and Spelling Power. Or I might wait one more year and have all four kids do it. My oldest two already have a plan for something else for writing for next year but I’m thinking of having them do IEW in 2022. I might just wait til then and have all four kids do it (at their own level of course) that year. 

Extras: karate, piano lessons, art class. He wants cello lessons too but I don’t know if we’ll be able to fit that in or not. 

My 10yo will be in 6th grade this fall. If he doesn't decide to return to PS, these are my plans for him.

Math: Pre-algebra, but I can't decide what curriculum to use. He needs something like AoPS for problem novelty and puzzle-y-ness, but with traditional instruction and way less dense text, or even no reading at all. I might have to get creative.

Science: Leaning toward an interest-led documentary year, but I may try align the topics with whatever his brothers are covering in their science class

Social Studies: Not sure. Considering getting a subscription to Junior Scholastic and listening to a variety of historical fiction and diversity focused audiobooks

Language Arts: Brave Writer with Arrows, Sequential Spelling 2, handwriting practice, Killgallons story grammar, and Vocabulary Cartoons

Other: full-day aerospace program once a week (??), running with dad

On 2/6/2020 at 2:15 AM, Cake and Pi said:

My 10yo will be in 6th grade this fall. If he doesn't decide to return to PS, these are my plans for him.

Math: Pre-algebra, but I can't decide what curriculum to use. He needs something like AoPS for problem novelty and puzzle-y-ness, but with traditional instruction and way less dense text, or even no reading at all. I might have to get creative.

Have you seen Russian Mathematics 6?

Well, it looks like my oldest will be doing mostly concurrent enrollment college classes, so I should have more time to work with my other two, including my youngest who will be in 6th next year. I have never really figured out her learning style, unless no learning counts, or what works best for her so some of this might change.

MATH: She is in Singapore Dimensions 6B right now, so we will just continue on with that program. Probably get through 6B, 7A, and at least part of 7B next year.

HISTORY: Everyone will be doing their own things this next year. I will probably have her read SOTW 2 and 3 (she loves them) and add in some Kingfisher History with outlining.

SCIENCE: Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. She tagged along when we did these 4 years ago, but this time it will be just her. So she should get more out of it hopefully. But who knows maybe she remembers all of it and will be bored and I will have to find something else.

LOGIC: The Basics of Critical Thinking

READING: Books chosen from the mom approved shelf (basically the high quality literature shelf)

GRAMMAR: Winston Word Works

VOCABULARY: Word Roots 1

WRITING: not sure, maybe Wordsmith or Killgallon Story Grammar?

ART: Udemy classes

LATIN: Continue with Lively Latin

EXTRAS: Dance, choir, musical theatre, church group, maybe volleyball?, piano with mom

• Like 1

My second will be in sixth grade this fall.  He reads at a 12 grade level, loves languages, gets math concepts without a lot of explanation but can't remember 3x7 instantly, and writes as if he was in second grade lol.  Here's what I'm looking at for him next year, it's mostly continuing what we're doing already:

Math: Continue with Beast Academy, probably finish 4 and start 5.  Would like to work on multiplication flency.  Have done times tales with some success.  May repeat.  1+1 does not equal 3 (I think?) has been good for his adding and subtraction fluency.  Would like something like that for him in multiplication and division.

Writing:  continue on with wherever we are in W&R.  Probably 4 or 5 by then. finish IEW A,  finish Killgallon's sentences.  We also do Diana Hanbury King 1 mostly orally with his brother.  Haha.  You can see this is where my current anxiety is lol!  It looks like a lot, but we stagger it all and it's been working.

History: finish History Odyssey Middle Ages (with his older brother)

Latin: Finish Latin for Children B and continue on to C

French: Finish French for Children B . . . and then?  Considering Nallenart's L'art de Lire.  Maybe Ecrire  (also with his older brother)

Spelling/Vocabulary: Finsh MCP Word Study D, maybe continue to E

Science: Ellen McHenry's Chemistry, living books and documentaries (with his older brother)

Literature/Geography: Build Your Library 6, which is world geography and religions themed for this year, and I won't be doing the Science component

Logic: Continue with Fallacy Detective

Art: Art With a Purpose 5

Other: Continue violin lessons, random sports (soccer, swimming) and art lessons as interest/availability pops up, plenty of Nature Study and many, many read alouds