Menu

Tell me about dessert hummus

Terabith

I was also skeptical, but chocolate hummus is amazing.  It tastes like cake.  My kids love it.  I serve it with graham crackers and assorted cut fruit.  In theory I put it out as a snack for the kids.  Usually the adults at the party get there before the kids do.  

I have made my own, but I've purchased several as well, including a brand at Target that I can't name off the top of my head and Trader Joe's.  Most have been very good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, medawyn said:

I was also skeptical, but chocolate hummus is amazing.  It tastes like cake.  My kids love it.  I serve it with graham crackers and assorted cut fruit.  In theory I put it out as a snack for the kids.  Usually the adults at the party get there before the kids do.  

I have made my own, but I've purchased several as well, including a brand at Target that I can't name off the top of my head and Trader Joe's.  Most have been very good.

I am in favor of things that taste like cake.  Is it remotely healthy?  That doesn't seem really possible.

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I am in favor of things that taste like cake.  Is it remotely healthy?  That doesn't seem really possible.

I probably wouldn't consider it a health food, per se, but it certainly has less sugar than your average chocolate cake.  In the world of treat snacks, it's one I don't feel guilty about serving.

12 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Chocolate brownie batter hummus does not taste like chocolate brownie batter.  Nor does cookie dough hummus taste anywhere close to cookie dough.  Maybe because I was tricked at a potluck on what I was eating made them taste worse but they were not good at all. 

They do not! The chocolate (different than the chocolate brownie batter) tastes like chocolate pudding but the texture is different. 

I regularly buy HEB brand chocolate hummus (I know that's regional, but it's our only choice). I use it in place of nutella on toast and top with strawberries sometimes. It's 40 calories a table spoon versus 100 and spreads easier. The cocoa, sugar and vanilla extract completely mask the taste of the chick peas. I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I saw it at Aldi this weekend, but was scared it would be gross.

I tried the Aldi chocolate hummus over the summer. I didn't think it was gross, but the flavor was underwhelming. It was like a watered-down chocolate pudding taste. 

16 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I saw peanut butter dessert hummus and and walked away because it sounded disgusting. I am waiting for someone to convince me otherwise ... 

To me it seems that would be like...peanut butter. The texture is similar, and both chick peas and peanut butter have neutral flavors. And as someone said, you could use peanut butter in place of tahini to make hummus, but then that's probably the kind of hummus with garlic.