Menu

Help! Need to figure out a plan for writing

Hey all! I haven't been on the forums for years, but I am back and asking for help! 

MY DD13, somewhere in that 8th-9th range, is needing something for writing. She is very writing oriented....especially fiction. We have done IEW for a few years and she has done well...I just feel we need something...more. Different. Any ideas?

Thanks, all! 

Carrie

Online courses? Home curriculum? A general approach because you're not sure what to do?

My first thought for really motivated, gifted writers is Blue Tent. They give amazing feedback and feedback is really key for writing. They're very challenging. But you may want to teach this subject at home. What are your goals?

• Like 1

I would recommend any of the products at clearwaterpress.com.  Two of my children used the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum and also became involved in the community that is offered through their forum, webinars, and writing workshops. We have also gotten to know the Schwabauers personally, and they are awesome people.

46 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Online courses? Home curriculum? A general approach because you're not sure what to do?

My first thought for really motivated, gifted writers is Blue Tent. They give amazing feedback and feedback is really key for writing. They're very challenging. But you may want to teach this subject at home. What are your goals?

I'm totally open to online. She needs a challenge..so I will look into this! I have never heard of it...so thank you!!!!

46 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

I would recommend any of the products at clearwaterpress.com.  Two of my children used the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum and also became involved in the community that is offered through their forum, webinars, and writing workshops. We have also gotten to know the Schwabauers personally, and they are awesome people.

This sounds amazing! I had never heard of this...so thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Dynamite5 said:

You might also want to check out Roy Speed's Writing Course, which is completely different from something like BlueTent. Check him out at hscollegebound.com

Dynamite5 has your student taken this course? I see a Logical Communication writing course but I'd like to read some reviews and don't see any. Anyone else have experience with this course/provider?

Edited by 4ofus
typo

On 1/20/2020 at 6:08 PM, Calm37 said:

This looks super interesting to me and my daughter....but my question is this....what else do you use on the years you are not using this? For high school, one year could be byline and another OYAN....but what else would you use??

Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, carrie_irene said:

This looks super interesting to me and my daughter....but my question is this....what else do you use on the years you are not using this? For high school, one year could be byline and another OYAN....but what else would you use??

Thanks so much!

We went through Elegant Essay and also used parts of the IEW Advanced writing for College Prep (skipped the note-taking part).

My two OYAN students continued to work on their novels and characters for multiple years, continued on their online forum, etc. There is a Year 2 - Other Worlds. They also both attended the summer workshops in Olathe, KS and then the winter workshops at 18. My oldest married a fellow OYANer, and my youngest still travels to meet up with her friends from there. I have two OYAN grandchildren!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, 4ofus said:
On 1/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, Dynamite5 said:

You might also want to check out Roy Speed's Writing Course, which is completely different from something like BlueTent. Check him out at hscollegebound.com

Dynamite5 has your student taken this course? I see a Logical Communication writing course but I'd like to read some reviews and don't see any. Anyone else have experience with this course/provider?

4ofus:

I see that no one has yet replied to your question. Here's one mom writing just last fall — just click the heading Writing Courses below to see full comment:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, 4ofus said:

Sorry, no. No one at my house has taken this course, yet! I just became aware of it. But I will say that it looks fantastic and we are seriously considering it.