Menu

What's with the ads?

Joker

Do you think dog strollers are completely ridiculous?

I have been someone who always found them super ridiculous, but I've spent time today looking at them. 🤦‍♀️

Our doggie is only five but has developed arthritis in a paw that was broken before we rescued her (we've had her four years). She's a 20 pound chihuahua mix and doesn't last long on walks anyway because everything and everyone scares her. I'm planning on traveling more with dh when both dc are off at college and we would like to take her. So, I'm here actually thinking of buying one. This may be the only thing in a long time that has bothered me in regards to what people will think. 🙃

• Like 1

I think they are great. I don’t have a dog but my elderly neighbors use these kind for shopping and just taking a walk around the neighborhood. They could put their shopping in the stroller basket and water bottle on the holder.

four wheels kind https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMMPQR2/

three wheels jogger kind https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Wheeler-Stroller-Folding-Carrier/dp/B00LV3KBNG/

• Like 1

I won’t give you my opinion of dog strollers, but when I travel, I don’t worry about what a bunch of strangers think about stuff like that. Ill never see them again anyway. 

• Like 2

If you dog would use it, get it,  We knew a elderly dog whose face would light up in it.  Poor pup had severe arthritis but everyday he loved going on a”walk” in it. 

• Like 5

Lots of people judge parents for having their human kids in strollers, and I still use one for my 10 year old from time to time.  Because for him it's the right choice.  I don't see why a dog with a disability wouldn't need the same kind of flexibility.  I think you should go for it, and not care what other people think.  

• Like 10

I think it’s incredibly sweet that you’re trying to figure out a way for your pup to comfortably spend time with you. I say get that stroller and not worry one bit about other people’s thoughts on the matter! You will be glad to have it, and your dog will be happier. Win-win. 

• Like 5

I am not a dog person, and I am really not fond of dog strollers, but what I think of them doesn't matter.  If you want one for your dog, then get one.

• Like 2

I don't have a dog, but when I see people with dog strollers, I think both that it's rather sweet (and probably an elderly dog or a dog with a disability who wants to get out but can't walk) and kind of emblematic of American culture, but I don't care.  And I'd be willing to do a lot of things to make a pet's face light up.  That said, I'm currently annoyed because I just came back from the grocery store, and a lady asked me to help her with a cart so she could put her shih tzu wrapped in a blanket in the baby seat of the cart to shop.  That's a whole different issue, though.  Go dog stroller!

• Like 5

I wouldn’t care.

We got my father in law’s dog when father in law went into hospice. He was overweight and we were able to get that weight off him. Due to his age now (10), being born with a deformity of his leg, and the effects of being overweight, walking to keep up with a five year old Lab or a less than year old Aussie...doesn’t happen. But he LOVES being able to get out and go with the others. So when I saw a brand new dog stroller at Goodwill for $5, you bet your butt I got it. It allows him to go along on our walks and enjoy every minute of it. I don’t give a rip what anyone may think if they see it. With some of the people around me, they are a bigger spectacle than a dog in a stroller. 😂

• Like 5

Honestly, when I saw the titile, I was like, yes, yes I do think they are ridiculous. Not that I’d ever spent any amount of time thinking about them. But with the situation you describe, a stroller makes sense. And travel is the perfect time to practice not caring what other people think about your life choices.

• Like 3

I think they are ridiculous UNLESS there is an actual reason for them. So dog with arthritis, other health issues, etc that makes sense. Using it because it looks cute or because your dog is your "baby" and shouldn't have to get his pretty little paws dirty on the nasty ground - ridiculous. And I'm from a suburb of Palm Beach, so yes, there are plenty of people who have them for that reason. Little fluffy can't get her perfectly manicured paws damp, or wear herself out like one of those "dog" dogs you see on the streets, don't you know. 

I also think they are a bad idea if they are being used because the dog is aggressive or terrified and that way they are contained and can't bite. Because it lets the owner force the dog into situations that are too overwhelming for the dog, and it lets the dog practice alert barking and being a nuisance. 

But I think they are great for dogs with mobility issues, who actually enjoy them. 

• Like 10

If you have to get your dog from here to there, and your dog can't walk, then it's a lot easier than a carrier bag.

• Like 1

Unless the dog is paralyzed or has significant issues with mobility, they’re beyond ridiculous.  

You have a legit need, don’t worry about it.  Seriously, if your dog needs help it is FINE and other people’s opinions don’t matter.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I bought one for one of my son’s two cats. It’s designed for cats — fully covered with a strong netted material that allows them to see out. He lives in a city in a one bedroom so his cats cannot go out and explore. The most physical excitement they get is an occasional run in his apartment’s hallway. The stroller at least provides more stimulation. They absolutely love going for walks. In fact, they often sleep in it.

I’ve seen quite a few older dogs in them as well. I think they’re great.

• Like 3

I do think they're ridiculous, but I would totally do it anyway for love of my pet 🙂

I have a herpetologist friend who uses one for her tegu (big lizard) to take him to campus when she is using him in her college classes or for education presentations. He's rather big to carry in a bag, and walking a lizard on a harness (which he also does) tends to lead to her having trouble getting to her building without collecting a crowd :). He'll actually crawl into it when it's open and available to him, so I guess he enjoys the experience. She also uses it at the vet because other pets tend to react badly to a lizard on a leash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My opinion changed at the viral meme of the kid who would put her elderly, lame dog in one to chase the UPS truck down the street together. ❤️ Who knows if it’s even real, but I find it plausible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmmetler said:

I have a herpetologist friend who uses one for her tegu (big lizard) to take him to campus when she is using him in her college classes or for education presentations. He's rather big to carry in a bag, and walking a lizard on a harness (which he also does) tends to lead to her having trouble getting to her building without collecting a crowd :). He'll actually crawl into it when it's open and available to him, so I guess he enjoys the experience. She also uses it at the vet because other pets tend to react badly to a lizard on a leash. 

I would love to see a tegu on a leash. My kids and I would be part of the crowd causing problems!  

Can you walk a tegu on a leash and expect the tegu to go with your agenda, and walk in the direction you want them to?  

Absolutely ridiculous and I’d buy one in a heartbeat if I thought my animals would enjoy it.

in fact, I’m going to admit right now that I recently looked at cat strollers....

• Like 6

They're definitely ridiculous, but if it makes sense for your situation, then I'd do it. I mean, embrace being ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I would also very much enjoy seeing a tegu on a leash.  That sounds awesome!

8 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would love to see a tegu on a leash. My kids and I would be part of the crowd causing problems!  

Can you walk a tegu on a leash and expect the tegu to go with your agenda, and walk in the direction you want them to?  

Tegu usually want to explore (and maybe find a tasty bug or two before falling asleep in the sun), but can be guided with practice-it's like leash training a cat, where they may never heel, but do eventually realize that walking with the human gives them more opportunities to experience the world. They're very smart lizards. They also, if they have the option to go outside regularly, will become fairly well house trained, although I imagine that works better in Argentina than Arkansas, where it's too cold for a South American lizard to go out for about half the year.  My friend specializes in lizard behavior, and she started with this guy as a tiny hatchling with the goal of having him well socialized to be a reptile ambassador. He's apparently quite popular (And in many ways serves as her son's ESA).

There are two other large leash trained lizards in our local reptile group-another tegu and a Savannah monitor. They aren't an animal for a beginner, and you have to know what you're doing and be very consistent, but they are very trainable and can be great ambassadors. They rival Tank, the Sulcata Tortoise, and Big Nate, the Burmese Python (who, in behavior acts like the world's largest ball python-he's the most placid burm I have ever seen-but he was picked for temper and consistently handled and socialized) in popularity.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 4

They don’t bother me at all. People that treat their pets like kids rarely bother me, either. I’ve seen some smaller, soft sided wagons for pets, though I suppose the stroller type would contain them better. 

Years ago we used to go to a large flea market that wouldn’t allow pets. One old guy started bringing his tiny dog in a baby carriage. A couple of months later there were dozens of old people walking around with their animals in strollers. They sort of formed an elderly gang, it was pretty cute.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Anything that can add to a dog's mobility, and enrich the life of the dog and its carer, is a positive, I think.  Dogs get bored lying around at home, just as humans do. If a human wants to walk with their dog and the only way to facilitate this is by using some kind of stroller, then what is the issue?  It gives you a great opportunity to educated others on new possibilities that may not have been around a few years ago. And you'd be perfect for doing this, having come from a place of not seeing the benefit, to recognizing the positive aspects.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Of course not.

My husband used to travel a lot for work and sometimes I'd tag along. I found that antique shops and the like didn't mind me bringing my Chi mix in the store if he was in a sling-type carrier. It was great! He didn't have to stay in the hotel room by himself all day. Also, he was a neurotic little thing and was more comfortable being carried when there were lots of people around. I couldn't give two hoots what anyone else thought*. But my shoulder got SO SORE. 12 lb. gets awful heavy if it's not properly distributed. I would have loved a small, maneuverable stroller!

He loved his carrier he flew in, too. It made him feel safe and secure and he knew that when he was in it, he would be next to me. 

Go for it.

*ETA: That's not entirely true. I did like it when people fussed over him. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Tegu usually want to explore (and maybe find a tasty bug or two before falling asleep in the sun), but can be guided with practice-it's like leash training a cat, where they may never heel, but do eventually realize that walking with the human gives them more opportunities to experience the world. They're very smart lizards. They also, if they have the option to go outside regularly, will become fairly well house trained, although I imagine that works better in Argentina than Arkansas, where it's too cold for a South American lizard to go out for about half the year.  My friend specializes in lizard behavior, and she started with this guy as a tiny hatchling with the goal of having him well socialized to be a reptile ambassador. He's apparently quite popular (And in many ways serves as her son's ESA).

There are two other large leash trained lizards in our local reptile group-another tegu and a Savannah monitor. They aren't an animal for a beginner, and you have to know what you're doing and be very consistent, but they are very trainable and can be great ambassadors. They rival Tank, the Sulcata Tortoise, and Big Nate, the Burmese Python (who, in behavior acts like the world's largest ball python-he's the most placid burm I have ever seen-but he was picked for temper and consistently handled and socialized) in popularity.

I saw a woman walking an iguana on a leash at Pet Smart.  The iguana seemed pretty chill with it, although I don't think it would be an efficient route to getting anywhere.  It seemed to be mostly "stand around while wearing a leash and make an occasional mad dash in a random direction."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We have one for our chihuahua for different reasons.   Obviously I don’t care if people think they are ridiculous.  When I start to care what people think about him being in a stroller, I’ll send out a memo so you can all prepare for hell freezing over, 🤣
As long as people treat their pets  well, what’s the problem? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Farrar said:

They're definitely ridiculous, but if it makes sense for your situation, then I'd do it. I mean, embrace being ridiculous.

Yes, I’m quirky.  I just go with it.  

• Like 3

I saw the saddest thing a few weeks ago. Mom was carrying the baby in the backpack, and dad was pushing the stroller. There was a fairly hyper Lab puppy in the back of the stroller, but an old, old frosty-face Golden in the front, ignoring the puppy. I commented about how happy the old dog looked, and the dad told me that it was her last walk. They were headed to the vet after the circuit on the walking trail. I cried. Shoot, I'm crying again. 

• Sad 16

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Lots of people judge parents for having their human kids in strollers, and I still use one for my 10 year old from time to time.  Because for him it's the right choice.  I don't see why a dog with a disability wouldn't need the same kind of flexibility.  I think you should go for it, and not care what other people think.  

I've never known someone who judges parents who use strollers for their kids.  Is that really a thing?? 

Just now, J-rap said:

I've never known someone who judges parents who use strollers for their kids.  Is that really a thing?? 

I don't know anyone who judges people for using strollers for their infants and toddlers, but I absolutely have heard people make snarky comments about people who have their kids in strollers at 3 or 4, or who use strollers for a five year old at Disney etc . . . I've also heard from many parents whose kids have similar physical disabilities to mine, but don't have the same kind of respiratory issues (the breathing equipment is what makes my kid's disability visible), that they've gotten lots of negative comments. I also once posted in another forum where a mom was looking for advice on strollers to accommodate a larger child, and although she was clear that her kid had disabilities that made it a good idea, people still posted that they couldn't imagine "letting" their 60 lb kid use a stroller.  So, my experience is that yes, people who use strollers for kids with invisible disabilities get a fair amount of judgment.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks, all. It's honestly been a while since I've cared what people thought so I'm trying to figure that part out. I do think I'll get one because I know my dog would love it and it will make things much easier for all of us.

She usually just tucks up/carries her paw but recently she's been sticking her whole leg straight out so I know it's getting worse and it must hurt to bend the leg at all at moments.  I have a vet appointment later this week so we'll see what they say as well. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I don't know anyone who judges people for using strollers for their infants and toddlers, but I absolutely have heard people make snarky comments about people who have their kids in strollers at 3 or 4, or who use strollers for a five year old at Disney etc . . . I've also heard from many parents whose kids have similar physical disabilities to mine, but don't have the same kind of respiratory issues (the breathing equipment is what makes my kid's disability visible), that they've gotten lots of negative comments. I also once posted in another forum where a mom was looking for advice on strollers to accommodate a larger child, and although she was clear that her kid had disabilities that made it a good idea, people still posted that they couldn't imagine "letting" their 60 lb kid use a stroller.  So, my experience is that yes, people who use strollers for kids with invisible disabilities get a fair amount of judgment.  

Well, that's disappointing then.  We definitely used strollers for older children at Disneyland!   And you're right -- the invisible disability situation must be very frustrating.

Last summer my friend used a stroller so her elderly Jack Russell could keep going on walks with her other two dogs after having his leg amputated.  He was so happy to get to go with us.  He would walk for a bit before asking to be put into it.  Her other dogs seemed really happy with the set up too.  Pro stroller here because it means your pup will get to enjoy being with you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Last summer my friend used a stroller so her elderly Jack Russell could keep going on walks with her other two dogs after having his leg amputated.  He was so happy to get to go with us.  He would walk for a bit before asking to be put into it.  Her other dogs seemed really happy with the set up too.  Pro stroller here because it means your pup will get to enjoy being with you.

I think that being pack animals makes the ability/opportunity for dogs to get up and go roam around with “their pack” ( that being the other people/animals in their household) very important to dogs. 

• Like 2

I’ve considered it!  We don’t really take our 3.5lb dog to so may places we would use it though.  We do visit a dog-friendly amusement park just about every year, but I don’t think a “normal” stroller would do well with their stone paths. We just carry him in our dog purse and let him do a little walking.

6 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Not ridiculous if you have a need now the doggy baby Bjorn that's a little nuts.

I've been known to put either one of my dogs up in a wrap. If the one dog is very upset by thunder, it can be a way to keep her close and happy and calm. If the other dog has just come out of the groomer and it's raining out, it can keep him warm and dry, one more day until his hair gets messed up.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 2:35 AM, rebcoola said:

Not ridiculous if you have a need now the doggy baby Bjorn that's a little nuts.

Did someone say doggy Bjorn???

Here's my boy checking out the California seaside...and blissed out in the sun. 😎

(My poor shoulder! I needed a stroller!)

Don't quote please. 🙂Will delete pics later.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 5

My chihuahua has a seizure disorder and as a result has very limited use of his back legs. He isn't able to take a walk, but I think he'd like a walk in a stroller. However, he's so small that it wouldn't be worth the investment. We could carry him...or wear him. 

Last summer I was camping in the rocky mountains, and a German couple were in the site beside us. Their dog was rolling about their site having a wonderful time with being outdoors and independent. It was a wonderful thing to experience!  The photo below shows something similar to what their dog had. 

Walkin' Belly Support

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I saw the saddest thing a few weeks ago. Mom was carrying the baby in the backpack, and dad was pushing the stroller. There was a fairly hyper Lab puppy in the back of the stroller, but an old, old frosty-face Golden in the front, ignoring the puppy. I commented about how happy the old dog looked, and the dad told me that it was her last walk. They were headed to the vet after the circuit on the walking trail. I cried. Shoot, I'm crying again. 

When our Pekingese became paralyzed, we didn’t have our stroller.  So I put her in our wagon on blankets.  For 2 weeks, we stopped school and spent all day, every day outside walking her in the yard & in the field behind our house.  She’d get out and sit on blankets and her old dog friend from next door would come see her.  After 2 weeks of progressingly bad health, we put her to sleep.  Having those wagon walks was the best memory for me.  Her face lit up and she actually enjoyed it during a time she was miserable.  😪

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

For a dog as small as a chihuahua you might just consider a soft sided cloth carrier.  If it's in a subdued or neutral color it will draw less attention which IME makes a nervous dog feel safer.  I just donated the one for our yorkie mix or I'd ship you mine. 

• Like 1

I think they are very handy for a small dog in a hot climate.  They can have shade and it's easier to bring water.

I also think -- you know what, not everybody has the same ability to carry their dog when their dog has gotten tired, and strollers are so convenient for carrying extra items.  

That is not to say that I don't think they are a little silly, as well.  But a lot of things are a little silly 😉

At the end of the day I like dogs so I like to see little dogs looking shaded and with adequate water, when they are out having an adventure.  

• Like 1

My dog is too big for me to lift, but I think she’d like a wagon. I’ve been trying to get her on a sled, but she just stands there and barks at it.

Our dog is super social, while Dh and I prefer to live more like hermits. We take her for a ride every night to look at deer, cows, and sheep. The little Amish boys on one road run out to the car and pet her like she’s a celebrity. If they’re not home she seems genuinely confused.

I hope to adopt a small dog on our next trip south. I doubt I’d ever use a stroller, but I’d totally put one in a sling or backpack.

Does anyone follow Chi Chi on FB? She was a golden rescued from a horrible situation overseas where they eat dogs; she had prosthetics on all four legs. She passed away last year but her mom still keeps the site active. They have a wagon that she used, now her elderly laboratory-rescued beagles use. The family is absolutely amazing, if you’re on FB it’s worth a look.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod
  • Like 1

I knew someone years ago who loved to hike and inherited an older dog. He's put the dog in a large child carrier for the hikes and then took her out at spots to walk around and chill. No stroller could have gone on the hikes. It was also ridiculous, which he totally would have acknowledged. But it made both him and the dog - who was too old for the young serious hiker lifestyle - happy.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3