Menu

If one of your kids has the flu

ktgrok

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

WRT to this. 
try not to judge the mom over much. My college aged dd would do such things no matter what I’d say. She’d be barfing in the morning. Take a nap, feel a little better and run out to hang with friends. Drove me nuts but what was I supposed to do? I’d mention how inconsiderate that was and that it was kind of obnoxious to do that an her response would be “but I want to go. It’s boring here at home.”

The girl just turned 16, and is a sophomore in HS, so her parents don’t let her make the decisions about stuff like that. I wouldn’t say that I judge the mom, I just don’t understand what the thinking was.

11 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I have held off on tamiflu in the past for some situations, but say in my friend's kid with lung issues, or a special case like this, I'm not opposed.

Yeah, I think if your dc get sick you'll want to get in and get the meds. There's also a new med Xofluza that someone here mentioned. One dose, one day, done. 

I tried Tamiflu after a couple years of getting pneumonia every time bugs came around, and it's AWESOME, totally worth the side effects in my case.

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

WRT to this. 
try not to judge the mom over much. My college aged dd would do such things no matter what I’d say. She’d be barfing in the morning. Take a nap, feel a little better and run out to hang with friends. Drove me nuts but what was I supposed to do? I’d mention how inconsiderate that was and that it was kind of obnoxious to do that an her response would be “but I want to go. It’s boring here at home.”

Agree.  A college student is a legal adult. It's going to be a long run if you try and micromanage every outing they make.  I can make a recommendation based on info, but I can't strap my adult kid down.  

And I totally agree with the comment above about cortisol and stress and illness.  I've definitely seen that at our house.  Exercise and stress management is an important part of our schedule.  December and January are often my roughest months of the year physically and mentally because it's hard to get out and walk.  

My kids after they hit about 7/8 didn't always get sick when the other got sick.  Including the full blown flu.  My oldest did go to school for a while.  So we've always treated it that way.  That said, we've had a couple friends ask for special consideration with regards to that and of course I gave it.  We have other friends where we'd all get together with runny noses because none of us had special issues and we were all stir crazy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cindy in FL. said:

The girl just turned 16, and is a sophomore in HS, so her parents don’t let her make the decisions about stuff like that. I wouldn’t say that I judge the mom, I just don’t understand what the thinking was.

Aha. Makes sense now. I was thinking all college age kids.

• Like 1