Menu

What's with the ads?

myblessings4

Name Your Favorite Dry Shampoo

I have been wanting to try dry shampoo for a while.  If it matters, my hair is long (just below bra strap), thick (as in lots of it), fine (as in each hair's texture), and therefore tangles pretty easily.   I had bayalage in August, and have felt the need to condition more than usual since.  

What are your favorites?  And least favorites, if you have any that you would definitely not recommend.

Thanks!

Living Proof for me with very similar hair.  Batiste is my favorite for the lower budget option.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Not Your Mothers dry shampoos are my #1. 

Suave isn’t bad. 

I like these too.  A friend of mine highly recommended Tresemme's dry shampoo and I want to try that.

• Thanks 1

My hair is quite similar to yours. I’ve only used batiste, so I can’t compare it to others, but I did like it quite a bit. I don’t use dry shampoo regularly, but if I did, I’d go with batiste again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mmasc said:

My hair is quite similar to yours. I’ve only used batiste, so I can’t compare it to others, but I did like it quite a bit. I don’t use dry shampoo regularly, but if I did, I’d go with batiste again. 

Can you use Batiste if you have dark hair?  I bought it as a gift (stocking stuffer) for a blonde but didn't end up giving it and I'm afraid to use it since the reviews said it looks powdery on brunettes.  

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Can you use Batiste if you have dark hair?  I bought it as a gift (stocking stuffer) for a blonde but didn't end up giving it and I'm afraid to use it since the reviews said it looks powdery on brunettes.  

Yes. It will look powdery when you first spray it on, but you just need to brush it through thoroughly. I'm not a regular user, but Batiste is my favorite.

• Thanks 2

I have an almost-pixie but I love Not Your Mother's with Warm Sugar scent. Smells delicious and no residue on my graying, blondish hair (it sounds like we have complete opposite hair, OP lol). The scent is enough that even if it was a mediocre product, I would probably still use it! I think Walmart or Target had travel sizes, I got a variety of them when I was looking for something I loved.

My daughter has used regular Batiste on her easily greasy-appearing shoulder length hair and it still looks greasy a few hours later and left residue on her dark brown hair (although dry shampoos may not work well for her at all due to her oil production). I used Batiste with brunette color to add texture to fix up her hair for a theatrical production and the dye rubbed off on my hands, and into the tub after she showered. Kind of annoying.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes. It will look powdery when you first spray it on, but you just need to brush it through thoroughly. I'm not a regular user, but Batiste is my favorite.

This^^^ It does look powdery, but you’re supposed to brush it. And I give it a little shot/fluff with the hair dryer and that helps too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sarahbobeara said:

I have an almost-pixie but I love Not Your Mother's with Warm Sugar scent. Smells delicious and no residue on my graying, blondish hair (it sounds like we have complete opposite hair, OP lol). The scent is enough that even if it was a mediocre product, I would probably still use it! I think Walmart or Target had travel sizes, I got a variety of them when I was looking for something I loved.

My daughter has used regular Batiste on her easily greasy-appearing shoulder length hair and it still looks greasy a few hours later and left residue on her dark brown hair (although dry shampoos may not work well for her at all due to her oil production). I used Batiste with brunette color to add texture to fix up her hair for a theatrical production and the dye rubbed off on my hands, and into the tub after she showered. Kind of annoying.

Yes, I didn't care for the brunette colored Batiste (and I am a brunette).

The Warm Sugar Not Your Mother's scent sounds lovely, but I didn't care for Not Your Mother's Beach Babe. My daughter and husband were like, "What's that smell?" They agreed that while it didn't smell unpleasant, it *did* smell like the rubber dog toy aisle in Petsmart. Not like a beach. :laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I have been wanting to try dry shampoo for a while.  If it matters, my hair is long (just below bra strap), thick (as in lots of it), fine (as in each hair's texture), and therefore tangles pretty easily.   I had bayalage in August, and have felt the need to condition more than usual since.  

What are your favorites?  And least favorites, if you have any that you would definitely not recommend.

Thanks!

I've found that baby powder or corn starch are just as effective, and more suited to one's budget! 😆 

• Thanks 1

I forgot that part!  I am brunette with reddish highlights.  I didn't realize there are different ones for different hair colors.

Thanks, everyone.  I was at Sam's while y'all were answering, bit they had none of the brands mentioned.  I will just order some probably.

My very favorite, which I ask for every birthday and Christmas, is Nexxus with some sort of pearl extract.  It smells good, leaves a nice soft texture, adds some lift.  Just perfect!  It's pricey, which is why I ask other people to get it for me.  😉

I hate Tresemme dry shampoo!  I ran out of Nexxus and tried to go the cheap route.  Never again!  It left my hair in worse condition than before I sprayed it on.

• Thanks 1

I have used Batiste, and it worked okay. I used Dove, and I might as well have not used it. I couldn’t tell that it made a difference.

but really I’ve had the best results (as far as not looking greasy) with cornstarch, if I can manage not to overdo it. If I overdo it, my brunette hair looks prematurely gray.

• Thanks 1