Menu

Favorite salmon recipes?

madteaparty

We have a salmon share so there’s many fillets to go through. I am bored of the usual marinade/lemon juice garlic dill bake thing. Any favorite ways to prepare?  My chef friend literally immersed salmon fillets in (lukewarm?) water bath for a wedding I helped her cater but I cannot find a recipe for this and kind of nervous to try (it tasted totally different and amazing). 
i make salmon Mac and cheese with leftover fish. 
what’s your favorite? 

• Like 1

Miso and soy.

Garlic and Italian herbs.

Salmon croquettes (like a crab cake w/salmon).

Thin sliced with cream cheese on toast.

Smoked.

My daughter likes to put salmon and cream cheese into rice balls and roll them in spicy furikake.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1

I also do a teriyaki marinade.  Soy, lemon juice, ginger, brown sugar, garlic.   Then we grill it.  That is my family's favorite way to eat salmon.

The other thing I like is The Gourmet Collection spices for fish   I find this at Marshals, or HomeGoods,  or Tuesday Morning for 1/3 of that price.   I usually sprinkle a generous amount on the fish and then wrap it up in foil so that it steam bakes the salmon.  Comes out very moist.   

• Thanks 1

OK, it's a bit more involved but it's good for people who don't like the salmon smell.  I don't know proportions, I just "make it up"

chop up fresh mushrooms, green onions and carrots.  mix it in a bowl with olive oil and minced garlic and either salsa or pasta sauce. Let's pretend you are making 4 portions. Have four square piece of aluminum foil on the counter, put veggie mixture on each. put salmon filet on top of the mixture.  wrap it tightly. bake on 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

When I take it out, I usually open aluminum foil and flip the whole thing so veggies are on the bottom and fish on top.  a lot of times I put pasta on the plate first so then I have pasta - veggies - fish.  The unexpected benefit that it looks like a professionally made dish.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

OK, it's a bit more involved but it's good for people who don't like the salmon smell.  I don't know proportions, I just "make it up"

chop up fresh mushrooms, green onions and carrots.  mix it in a bowl with olive oil and minced garlic and either salsa or pasta sauce. Let's pretend you are making 4 portions. Have four square piece of aluminum foil on the counter, put veggie mixture on each. put salmon filet on top of the mixture.  wrap it tightly. bake on 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

When I take it out, I usually open aluminum foil and flip the whole thing so veggies are on the bottom and fish on top.  a lot of times I put pasta on the plate first so then I have pasta - veggies - fish.  The unexpected benefit that it looks like a professionally made dish.

Hmm and the veggies aren’t fishy? I’m intrigued by this one also bc I have a crap ton of homemade tomato sauce I made this summer. But my salmon also has skin on one side, so I wonder about the flip. Will experiment! 🙏

Our absolute favorite is: spread mayonnaise (really, I'm not lying, do it!) on the salmon. Sprinkle with a Cajun spice mix, and broil until done (about 10 minutes). I suppose you could use any spice mix, but we like Cajun.

It's so easy and so good! (We have mayo-haters in the family who love this meal because they don't recognize the delicious sauce on the fish.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Hmm and the veggies aren’t fishy? I’m intrigued by this one also bc I have a crap ton of homemade tomato sauce I made this summer. But my salmon also has skin on one side, so I wonder about the flip. Will experiment! 🙏

No, not at all. I have no idea why lol. But the house doesn't smell like salmon either (otherwise my husband would have thrown me out of the house - he really doesn't like fishy smell 🙂 )

Oh and I absolutely cook it with the skin on, so skin ends up on the top   - does that make sense? Like I put the whole pouch in my palm, open the foil and flip the whole thing on top of pasta or baked potato or whatever carbs are for that dinner.

• Thanks 1

We really like this one: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21176/baked-dijon-salmon/

and this one: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12720/grilled-salmon-i/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringId=13293&referringContentType=Recipe Hub which is a soy/brown sugar/lemon/garlic marinade. I will grill or bake it.

And I make the maple salmon linked above too.

5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

We have a salmon share so there’s many fillets to go through. I am bored of the usual marinade/lemon juice garlic dill bake thing. Any favorite ways to prepare?  My chef friend literally immersed salmon fillets in (lukewarm?) water bath for a wedding I helped her cater but I cannot find a recipe for this and kind of nervous to try (it tasted totally different and amazing). 
i make salmon Mac and cheese with leftover fish. 
what’s your favorite? 

Maybe look at poached salmon recipes to recreate what your friend did?  I love the taste of salmon and have been known to just eat the leftovers cold with a little salt.  My favorite method is to just sear both sides in a cast iron skillet then put the lid on and remove from the heat until it gets opaque all the way through.  I like it just with lemon, or with a teryaki sauce, a creamy dill sauce, or a hollandiase.  I like it over a chef salad too.  It's so quick on the stove top that I get everything else ready, do the salmon, then plate and serve.  

Great, now I want Salmon and it's not on the menu this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the stove top, cooked with chicken broth seasoned with  thyme and tarragon and dill. Once the broth is boiling,  lay the salmon filet in the pan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  After wards, make gravy with the broth to pour over the salmon.  Saute garlic in butter, add flour, then the broth, make a gravy and add whatever herbs you like such as basil, more thyme, etc.  Spritz it with lemon. Delicious.  Even my picky kid will eat it. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Thanks 1

I use this one from the Pioneer Woman cookbook, but I season the salmon before cooking with something called Magic Unicorn Seasoning Salt, which is a little snazzier than salt and pepper.  No mess, and it cooks quickly.  (Don't leave out the lime juice; I forgot limes once, and it wasn't nearly as good.) I also use this salmon burger recipe but, fair warning, it is much better if you hand-chop the salmon rather than trying to cheat and run it through a food processor.  I make the burgers without deviating from the recipe much, but I add lemon zest and juice to mayo to spread on them, along with some chopped fresh herbs if I have any left over from another recipe.  

I am jealous of your salmon surplus!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Robin M said:

On the stove top, cooked with chicken broth seasoned with  thyme and tarragon and dill. Once the broth is boiling,  lay the salmon filet in the pan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  After wards, make gravy with the broth to pour over the salmon.  Saute garlic in butter, add flour, then the broth, make a gravy and add whatever herbs you like such as basil, more thyme, etc.  Spritz it with lemon. Delicious.  Even my picky kid will eat it. 

Oh wow. This must happen this week. Now fillets in this recipe are individual little portions right? Because I have a whole fillet that’s as long as my arm. If I cut into individual portions that might fit a stovetop pan 😂

45 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Oh wow. This must happen this week. Now fillets in this recipe are individual little portions right? Because I have a whole fillet that’s as long as my arm. If I cut into individual portions that might fit a stovetop pan 😂

Yes, depends on how large your frying pan is.  You may have to cut the fillet in two or three pieces.  1 cup of broth or maybe 1 1/2 since some boils off and you have a larger piece. Want to make sure you have enough left for the gravy. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, madteaparty said:

My chef friend literally immersed salmon fillets in (lukewarm?) water bath for a wedding I helped her cater but I cannot find a recipe for this and kind of nervous to try (it tasted totally different and amazing). 

Was it a sous vide preparation? DH has done lots of sous vide stuff which has all turned out amazing. Your post made me wonder and I think we’ll try this! This site is kept by a scientific mastermind of cooking, so this is the one I would try first.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-salmon-recipe.html

• Like 2

Make up some clarified butter. (I do a pound of butter at a time, and it lasts for months in the fridge. Just use a spoon to scrape up some shavings and place those on the salmon, if not using freshly made/still liquid clarified butter.)

Use about 2-3 tsp. of clarified butter on salmon fillet (that is about 6-8 oz)
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and tarragon.
Broil (on a piece of foil to save your broiling pan) till tender and cooked through.
Squeeze lemon juice on top. Yum!

Chilled left-overs work great on a chopped salad.

Note: I broil in a small cuisenart oven, and set the oven out on the back porch for the cooking to keep the fish smell out of the house. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

Was it a sous vide preparation? DH has done lots of sous vide stuff which has all turned out amazing. Your post made me wonder and I think we’ll try this! This site is kept by a scientific mastermind of cooking, so this is the one I would try first.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-salmon-recipe.html

Yes the concept is Sous vide I guess but it was literally pans full of water and spices in an oven. And no bags were used. If I ask her she will tell me “put salmon in the water bath” lol. I’m going to wrangle a temperature out of her . No one died at that wedding. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1