Menu

Urgent High Blood Pressure question

ktgrok

6 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Pressure is "down" to 160/104 while just laying around for so long. They did a head CT and now are doing an EKG, and took bloodwork for organ function. 

Sounds like they are taking really good  care of him and making sure they aren't overlooking anything. It is astounding how different medical centers can be in the way they care for patients. Glad he went to a good hospital!

1 minute ago, Tap said:

Sounds like they are taking really good  care of him and making sure they aren't overlooking anything. It is astounding how different medical centers can be in the way they care for patients. Glad he went to a good hospital!

Very true! 

And yes, I really had good experiences in my care there the two times I went. And their heart health institute has the highest ranking you can get apparently. 

• Like 7

all his tests came back normal đŸ™‚

They are sending him home I think, and he has a script for blood pressure medication and is under strict orders to see a primary care doctor for follow up and to get a home blood pressure cuff to monitor right away, to be sure the medication dose is correct. 

Thank you all for convincing me to convince him to go in. 

• Like 31

I just want to say again, thank you all. It was incredibly helpful having you all to turn to, and knowing you were praying and thinking of us. (and I told DH that the Hive is almost NEVER unanimous, and EVERYONE agreed he had to go to the ER )

I'm going to research his meds a bit, but basically he got a diuretic and an ACE inhibitor from what I can tell. My ex husband (the one who died of heart failure) was on ace inhibitors so I remember those, and from vet med I'm familiar with diuretics. Will refresh my memory though as I know that electrolytes can get thrown off sometimes depending on dosage. Ace inhibitors, if memory serves, or any blood pressure medications, can make you tired at first if I'm remembering right. (my other random knowledge that popped into my head is that it is Beta Blockers that snipers take to lower heart rate, lol - but he doesn't need a lower heart rate his already is)

I really am hoping this is a wake up call for him. He's been pushing and pushing himself. And he has been THINKING more about his health, and saying this year he'd work on getting healthier as he has seen people around him in his career field have heart problems, etc, but he hasn't DONE anything bout it. Hopefully this makes the difference. 

• Like 12

Also, now we need to plan our strategy I guess. 

My thought is we start, on the medical end, with primary care visit for full physical and lab work, including thyroid, vitamin D, etc. The other day I took his temperature because he didn't look well (now I realize that was his blood pressure) and it was like 95.6, and that was in the evening. Could be a fluke, but should get checked. And he hasn't had his D checked in a while and that was low last time. 

Then he needs to get a sleep study done. No excuses. 

And honestly, depending on how that all works out, I may bring up to him the idea of a consultation with my bariatric surgeon. I don't think he will like the idea, but I feel I need to at least mention it. He's gained a lot of weight, and it is not the good kind. As in, all in the abdomen, and now his neck. And his BMI plus hypertension and back pain and if he has sleep apnea, that too, would qualify him. 

either way, no more fast food, and he has to cut back the booze. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

And be aware it may take a great he’s to get medication right and keep his pressure under control.  Postpartum here I’m still stuck with chronic hypertension that pregnancy had unmasked, and am in a similar boat of tweaking dosages and medication types to find the best combo.  There are so many options, fortunately, but It’s not unusual to take awhile to land on the right one.  If he has side effects he thinks are not tolerable it’s okay to call the doctor and switch it up đŸ˜‰

Thank you. 

And let me say, during all this I keep thinking of you and all you have been through. I know this topic has to be painful for you and I really appreciate you adding your knowledge. Thank you. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looking at this blood pressure cuff - that way he can have a record on his phone of all his readings, it works with apple health, etc. It was listed in an article of cuffs that meet whatever standard it is regarding outside verification of accuracy. Waiting for him to wake up so I can measure his arm to get the right cuff size. https://www.amazon.com/iHealth-Wireless-Bluetooth-Compatible-Circumference/dp/B01718JVJE?tag=cnet-buy-button-20&ascsubtag=ag%3A1c139350-6b09-4237-a7d8-d88a78373a27|vg%3Ac616a870-39bc-11ea-aa69-3fe973957dff|st%3Adtp&th=1

• Like 1

Also, I'm assuming he should not be left alone today, as he adjusts to medication? I remember my ex fainted once from pressure going too low on meds after an adjustment and smacked his head on a wall. 

DD really wants to go on her hike but obviously I'm not sending DH with her and I don't feel I should leave him here either. Her den leader said she can make it up later just with the family. so she doesn't have to go, just wants to. 

I could take the other kids with me, but DS 20 is going to be gone at a volunteer event - today is the annual volunteer party at the bird of prey center and that place is really important to him, as I have said I think the birds and the people there likely saved his life, so I'm not going to make him skip that although he would if I really really wanted him to. But I don't want to push that - he was great last night about going to get me stress snacks as we waited on DH - got me my favorite chocolate and chips and some cookies for good measure, lol. And was willing to babysit all the kids if I wanted to go to the hospital, even DD2 who he never watches. So not going to make him miss this. 

but man, DD wants to go. 

Can I leave him here if he promises to just sit around? Or is he likely to have issues and I should stay with him?

Edited by Ktgrok

2 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

ICan you request a heart ultrasound? I think the Dr would ok that to check for possible blockage, especially due to the severity, prior pains, and the stomach girth. If necessary they could do a heart cath for a more definitive blockage. I’d ask for the ultrasound even if the meds bring his numbers back to normal.

Blood pressure meds made me a bit tired for a couple days, and Dh developed a slight cough.

yeah, I think we are going to get a referral to a cardiologist as well, that's a good idea. I forgot about that. I think if nothing else he needs a stress test given family history, etc, right? And an echo, or I think now they do some kind of calcium channel CT scan of the heart to look for plaque as well. 

• Like 2

I'm glad he went in and is doing okay.

As for cold medication, there is a Coricidin made especially for people with HBP. Obviously, make sure there are no interactions with other meds, but I found these meds to be as effective without raising your heart rate. https://www.coricidinhbp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Yer9quN5wIVAtbACh26vARLEAAYASAAEgJ2tfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

36 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Also, I'm assuming he should not be left alone today, as he adjusts to medication? I remember my ex fainted once from pressure going too low on meds after an adjustment and smacked his head on a wall. 

DD really wants to go on her hike but obviously I'm not sending DH with her and I don't feel I should leave him here either. Her den leader said she can make it up later just with the family. so she doesn't have to go, just wants to. 

I could take the other kids with me, but DS 20 is going to be gone at a volunteer event - today is the annual volunteer party at the bird of prey center and that place is really important to him, as I have said I think the birds and the people there likely saved his life, so I'm not going to make him skip that although he would if I really really wanted him to. But I don't want to push that - he was great last night about going to get me stress snacks as we waited on DH - got me my favorite chocolate and chips and some cookies for good measure, lol. And was willing to babysit all the kids if I wanted to go to the hospital, even DD2 who he never watches. So not going to make him miss this. 

but man, DD wants to go. 

Can I leave him here if he promises to just sit around? Or is he likely to have issues and I should stay with him?

I would not go if it were me, but I’m sorry for you dd.

Also, just a suggestion, but maybe get the physical and sleep study done and start working on diet and exercise.  I would wait on the bariatric doctor and not bring it up right now.  So much to process already.  

Glad he is getting help and seems to want to make a change!!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

but man, DD wants to go. 

When I started on BP medicine last year, I do remember being extremely quick to tire the first couple of days, but nothing alarming. I just didn’t last as long as usual. Also, I started out with just the diuretic, so I think I was a bit dehydrated. 
I would have been absolutely fine just hanging out at home alone for a day.

i will also admit that I was  not as alarmed as most people on this board. I had been feeling weird and took my BP at home one morning and went to my primary care dr that afternoon. 
I do have a family history of blood pressure issues (my mother has been on BP meds since I was a kid) and I am extremely sensitive to sodium in my diet, so I was expecting the BP medication was inevitable.

DH's BP meds have been changed several times. It never occurred to me to babysit him afterwards. The worst symptom--and it wasn't bad at all, really--that he's ever had from one was when he was put on a beta blocker and he felt a little tired for a couple of weeks, until he adjusted. For someone who was elderly or frail, then yes I think it would be wise. For someone otherwise in decent health--I'd go on the hike with DD and not think twice about it.

• Like 3

As long as he understands it can happen and is careful I'd at least drop her off and come pick her up at the end.

The main danger zone is 30-60 seconds after standing up too fast.

You might consider an apple watch for him.  I think I heard the newest version can call 911 if it senses you had a sudden fall and didn't move again.  At least I think that was Apple.  Set him to researching that, it sounds right up his ally.

31 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

DH's BP meds have been changed several times. It never occurred to me to babysit him afterwards. The worst symptom--and it wasn't bad at all, really--that he's ever had from one was when he was put on a beta blocker and he felt a little tired for a couple of weeks, until he adjusted. For someone who was elderly or frail, then yes I think it would be wise. For someone otherwise in decent health--I'd go on the hike with DD and not think twice about it.

This is what I was thinking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

but man, DD wants to go. 

I think you should stay home with husband.  (For his safety and safety of other children.)  

(Eta: I’m assuming oldest child who would be at home isn’t old enough to handle an emergency alone—if he or she is old enough —for example to call 911 and take care of the toddler till another adult is available—then okay to go on hike.) 

Is there any other adult who could go with daughter? 

Maybe another troop member has an extra available parent? 

(eTA but also though daughter is disappointed, learning to prioritize family health and safety is also a huge and important learning experience )

Edited by Pen

59 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think you should stay home with husband.  (For his safety and safety of other children.)  

(Eta: I’m assuming oldest child who would be at home isn’t old enough to handle an emergency alone—if he or she is old enough —for example to call 911 and take care of the toddler till another adult is available—then okay to go on hike.) 

Is there any other adult who could go with daughter? 

Maybe another troop member has an extra available parent? 

(eTA but also though daughter is disappointed, learning to prioritize family health and safety is also a huge and important learning experience )

Or maybe there’s another adult close by home in case of emergency? A neighbor?  Someone from church? 

I tend to think of things from my rural perspective, but in a suburb, maybe there are plenty of nearby people to step in if need be? 

The probability is husband will be fine—but in the small event he isn’t it would be a big burden for a young child, with potential emotional repercussions.   Sort of like in thread about kids watching a grandma with Addison’s.  

Edited by Pen

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

yeah, I think we are going to get a referral to a cardiologist as well, that's a good idea. I forgot about that. I think if nothing else he needs a stress test given family history, etc, right? And an echo, or I think now they do some kind of calcium channel CT scan of the heart to look for plaque as well. 

Yes, family history is very important for cardiac issues, especially since his dad died in his 30s. It’s important even though he had cocaine use as a variable that your dh doesn’t have. 

And the calcium channel CT scan is turning out to be *incredibly* predictive of future cardiac issues and they can usually narrow the prediction to within months. One cardiologist I’ve worked with, who has done one of the definitive studies on this, says this test will probably turn out to be one of the first non-invasive tests routinely ordered for cardiac workups in the near future. Unfortunately, many insurance companies don’t cover it right now. 

I’m so glad your dh is taking this seriously. I don’t know how old he is (40s?), but 40s is the age range when previously undiagnosed cardiac issues start being diagnosed. For men AND women. 

• Like 1

Just by way of encouragement, my dad was found to have dangerously high blood pressure a few years ago. He went in to have a mole removed or something and they took his vitals and because it was so high they refused to do the procedure and said he either needed to be seen by his pcp that day or head to the ER. I don't know exact numbers, but I am assuming it was somewhere in the range your DH was experiencing.

My dad is stubborn. Stubborn is an understatement, actually, but stubborn and very averse to taking most meds. His doctor, of course, prescribed him blood pressure meds. Before starting them he drastically changed his diet (cut out caffeine, beer, and a lot of salt) and started riding an excercise bike every morning for 30-45min. His BP went into a healthy range within days. He was able to determine that salt really drives up his bp and excercise helps a lot. He added back in coffee and some beer and that didn't drive up his numbers. He never ended up taking meds because he's stubborn.

Anyway, just to say that my mom and I were freaked out, but getting seen by a doc really was a wakeup call that he couldn't keep living on junk food and sitting at a desk. It was ultimately a good thing for him...easy for me to say now since he didn't stroke out, I know. Hang in there.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

I went to the ER last summer after getting bitten by a copperhead, and got a pretty serious lecture about my untreated BP in addition -- it spiked up to 185/24.  They were shocked I was still just walking around (especially after being bitten on the foot).  I went to the doctor the next day and got medicine. 

It was genetic so I should have been a little quicker, honestly, but even with having such high bp my pill dosage is the smallest and I have had no problems since.  It's such a treatable issue.  I do have a normal to good diet (take out only once a week) and I exercise 4 days a week.  But it's now always around 115/80, so I will take that. 

Glad he went in and will be taking care of it! I was just very tired when first going on meds.  I also had issues with the sun and dizziness until I cut my dosage in half.  I felt pretty off until I realized it was too high. 

• Like 2

No personal experience with that cuff, but we usually recommend Omrons, as they tend to be very accurate.  My cheap Omron has been accurate for me around 1400 times and has saved my life twice.  Have him take his BP once or twice a day at the same time, or however his doctor recommends, and have him ask what numbers they consider concerning.  My nephrologist wants to me to call if I see 135/85 regularly, meaning that catching up on sleep doesn't drop them back down, but everyone is going to have a slightly different threshold.  I would have him ask about diet; something like 92% of hypertensive adults have it just because it's genetic, so while it is great to make some changes there, tell him not to get too frustrated if it's not enough.

ACE inhibitors may cause a slight cough, but they're also great for kidney health, according to my nephrologist.  But there are like a gazillion different options, something like eleven classes, depending on how they're sorted, so if one doesn't work, he can ask about others.

1 hour ago, brehon said:

Yes, family history is very important for cardiac issues, especially since his dad died in his 30s. It’s important even though he had cocaine use as a variable that your dh doesn’t have. 

And the calcium channel CT scan is turning out to be *incredibly* predictive of future cardiac issues and they can usually narrow the prediction to within months. One cardiologist I’ve worked with, who has done one of the definitive studies on this, says this test will probably turn out to be one of the first non-invasive tests routinely ordered for cardiac workups in the near future. Unfortunately, many insurance companies don’t cover it right now. 

I’m so glad your dh is taking this seriously. I don’t know how old he is (40s?), but 40s is the age range when previously undiagnosed cardiac issues start being diagnosed. For men AND women. 

Yes, my insurance didn't cover it but it was only something like $165,  Considering it gave me great peace of mind, it was very worth it.  (I had a sister die after a second heart attack at 34 ((and this was because of a dangerous drug interaction that wasn't discovered until 10 years after her death)) and my dad died at 62 or 63 from a second heart attack too).  I am also in a higher risk group because of my autoimmune diseases but lower risk because a few of my meds lower the risk.

And I hear you, Katie, about the difficulties of getting a husband to get care.  I have the same issues here.

3 hours ago, Katy said:

As long as he understands it can happen and is careful I'd at least drop her off and come pick her up at the end.

The main danger zone is 30-60 seconds after standing up too fast.

You might consider an apple watch for him.  I think I heard the newest version can call 911 if it senses you had a sudden fall and didn't move again.  At least I think that was Apple.  Set him to researching that, it sounds right up his ally.

He's been wanting an apple watch for a while now, this may be the thing that pushes him over the edge. 

1 hour ago, brehon said:

Yes, he turned 40 back in September. 

So, he felt good this morning, and our neighbor across the street is a paramedic/firefighter and was going to be home, and so I took the 2 yr old with me and took DD on the hike while DS and DH laid on the couch and played video games and watched TV. I checked in with him pretty constantly via chat, and knew that we had all the neighbors home and available if need be, and DH really was upset at the idea of DD missing it because of him. 

We had a great hike, although we were late by the time we figured out what we were going to do and got the 2 yr old ready, etc. So we had to speed walk and jog a bit to catch up to the den, but we did and DD had a blast. 

I brought DH home a sub but he'd already eaten the pulled pork from yesterday. 

I'm relaxing for a bit while DD2 naps and then going to go grocery shopping and pick up DH's prescriptions. He took the first dose at about 2am this morning before being discharged, not sure when he should take the next dose, I'm thinking around 11pm tonight before he goes to bed? It says once a day. 

His blood pressure cuff will be here by 6pm. 

I'm too frazzled to know exactly how to address diet but from my hasty research the various recommendations all agree that salt and sugar and processed foods are bad, some disagree on grains, all agree that fruits and veggies are vital. 

So I'll focus on making simple whole food meals and give him plates that are about 1/2 veggies, 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 whole grains or fruits or sweet potatoes, beans, etc with fruit and nuts and yogurt for snacks. Which he will be perfectly happy with. 

• Like 12

As to medications, there are so many different types of blood pressure medications.  And everyone has different reactions too and different abilities to take different ones.  I, for one, have a genetic issue with calcium channel blockers and they raise my bp instead of lowering.  I also can't take anti diuretics due to having Sjogren's Syndrome which makes me much too dry in the first place.

I am on an ACE inhibitor (low dose- and no coughing issues) and Clonidine patch.  Clonidine is also used as an ADHD medicine too so it helps me in two ways.  I am not sensitive to salt but one of my big hurdles is that my muscle relaxant also works at lowering blood pressure  and steroids increase and on and on and on like  that.  If your husband has any anxiety issues, I know that there is one type of anithypertensive that is also used as an anxiety reliever.

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, he felt good this morning, and our neighbor across the street is a paramedic/firefighter and was going to be home, and so I took the 2 yr old with me and took DD on the hike while DS and DH laid on the couch and played video games and watched TV. I checked in with him pretty constantly via chat, and knew that we had all the neighbors home and available if need be, and DH really was upset at the idea of DD missing it because of him. 

We had a great hike, although we were late by the time we figured out what we were going to do and got the 2 yr old ready, etc. So we had to speed walk and jog a bit to catch up to the den, but we did and DD had a blast. 

I'm relaxing for a bit while DD2 naps and then going to go grocery shopping and pick up DH's prescriptions. He took the first dose at about 2am this morning before being discharged, not sure when he should take the next dose, I'm thinking around 11pm tonight before he goes to bed? It says once a day. 

I'm too frazzled to know exactly how to address diet but from my hasty research the various recommendations all agree that salt and sugar and processed foods are bad, some disagree on grains, all agree that fruits and veggies are vital. 

So I'll focus on making simple whole food meals and give him plates that are about 1/2 veggies, 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 whole grains or fruits or sweet potatoes, beans, etc with fruit and nuts and yogurt for snacks. Which he will be perfectly happy with. 

Sounds good!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, happypamama said:

No personal experience with that cuff, but we usually recommend Omrons, as they tend to be very accurate.  My cheap Omron has been accurate for me around 1400 times and has saved my life twice.  Have him take his BP once or twice a day at the same time, or however his doctor recommends, and have him ask what numbers they consider concerning.  My nephrologist wants to me to call if I see 135/85 regularly, meaning that catching up on sleep doesn't drop them back down, but everyone is going to have a slightly different threshold.  I would have him ask about diet; something like 92% of hypertensive adults have it just because it's genetic, so while it is great to make some changes there, tell him not to get too frustrated if it's not enough.

ACE inhibitors may cause a slight cough, but they're also great for kidney health, according to my nephrologist.  But there are like a gazillion different options, something like eleven classes, depending on how they're sorted, so if one doesn't work, he can ask about others.

Hey thanks for the info.  I am so happy that I am on at least two meds to help my kidneys (maybe a third too) since I am at such higher risk for it because of Lupus. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Hey thanks for the info.  I am so happy that I am on at least two meds to help my kidneys (maybe a third too) since I am at such higher risk for it because of Lupus. 

You're quite welcome!  I wish I didn't need to know all this stuff, but since I do, I try to be helpful.  My nephrologist wants me on an ACE inhibitor eventually, but since my kidneys are currently in good shape, he is willing to defer that until I am done with pregnancy/breastfeeding.

• Like 1

I know you've done the whole vegan thing in the past and understand some of the pitfalls.  This is not me pushing a vegan diet (even if the doctor does), this is me giving you a link to easily digestible science-based facts (short articles & youtube videos) about which foods you might want to include most often: https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/blood-pressure/

• Like 1

So the blood pressure cuff came, and on medication and without eating salty fast food today, blood pressure was so much better! I want to say 125/80. I'll likely have him try somewhere else tomorrow to compare readings, but even if it is a bit off, that's so much better. And he did need the larger cuff.

He's had some upset tummy today, so he's lost fluid that way if you get my drift, which I think might be one of the side effects of one of the medications? I need to look again. But all in all feeling better. 
đŸ™‚

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, and on the hike this morning we saw this big guy, along with some of his smaller relatives, and two anhinga and a Barred owl.Â Â đŸ™‚

IwwyRszGRaeerljzPADT8Q.jpg

Hikes in Florida are a bit different than hikes in Oregon. Sub mist/rain for sun, deer for gator, add some conifers.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

A follow-up with a cardiologist who would order a stress test and holtor monitoring would be typical. 

It took 4 med tries to get my bp meds right. I'm on potassium supplements due to the diuretic and have levels checked. 

7 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Has anyone mentioned the DASH diet? It's specifically for managing hypertension, I believe. 

All the best to your husband. 

PS An alligator?? You passed an alligator while hiking?? And people think we Australians are always dodging dangerous creatures!

We actually passed 3 alligators on the 3 mile hike, lol. 

That one was the big one though - it is pretty rare to spot a big one like that in plain sight. To be fair, we were hiking on a levy that was bordered by flood lands and freshwater marsh - so perfect alligator habitat. Not spotting any would have been more surprising - but usually you just see the head or a bit of the body out in the water. 

He didn't move a muscle  while we stood there taking photos, etc. Not even when one of the less than well behaved children started throwing rocks at him. At which point I stopped biting my tongue about the kids behavior and flat out told him to stop, because not only could he get himself killed but it also was VERY illegal to harass an alligator. For whatever reason, the idea of the fine stopped him. 

This shows scale for the big one, and where he was. Second photo is zoomed in on a different, little alligator. The small one was under 3 ft. 

g01xdN1TQW+RJpzCVUm7ZA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2848.jpeg

• Like 2

I think your hike photos gave ME a heart attack!

On 1/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ktgrok said:

A few years ago DH went to the doctor to have his shoulder looked at.  He thought it was sore from holding the violin wrong since he'd just picked up that instrument and was going all in with the practicing.  The only reason he even went to that appointment is that I made it for him.  After taking his BP they told him to go directly to the emergency room.  His bp  was over 200.  He really should have had more symptoms than a shoulder that just felt kinda sore, but he was mostly asymptomatic.  They treated him in the ER and he has a regular cardiologist that manages him now.  He had to take a bp med, but if he looses some more weight he can drop it.  The first medication they tried had some freaky side effects to the tune of suicidal thoughts in a man who has never been prone to depression. I'm lucky Dh was able to detach and look at himself like he was his own science project and pinpoint the cause. Don't be afraid to march right back in if your Dh doesn't like the way he feels on his new medication because a simple medication switch can fix a lot. 

I think you're on the right path with filling half his plate with veggies.  Dh will eat whatever I put on his plate, but if he makes his own he just doesn't get the ratios and portions right.  He's just not good at judging, but will generally stop at one plate because he's full.  We stopped eating out so much, so that helps too.  I've also been known to give everyone a big salad 'while I finish cooking" so they get mostly full on veggies before the heavy stuff is ready.  Just changing the ratios of what goes on the plate was a pretty painless way to improve his diet without having to do all new recipes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Oh, this is kind of an aside, but I am going to try this trick.  Just today, DH and all the kids were "starving" while I was trying to finish up getting the chicken and rice cooked.  The kids were crying because I made them eat some healthier snacks that we need to use up, instead of the junky chips and dessert type stuff that they wanted.

Only one of my kids eat veggies, but DH will eat them if I have them out, plus I can just modify the concept to cover the other kids......I like this idea!  Tomorrow is spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread for dinner....if I whip the salad up first, I can give that to DH and DD11 while the pasta is cooking, especially since meatballs usually "take so long" anyway lol.   I am so doing this tomorrow!

If it helps you can call it an appetizer.  I have one kid who professed to "hate salad" when he was little, but would eat anything cut into sticks and dipped in ranch while waiting for dinner. He'd even eat zuchinni sticks and he also, you guessed it, hated zucchini.  You can prep a crudite platter earlier in the day and give them that.  Apparently it was technically not a salad and acceptable to my son.  He did outgrow it and just eats the darned salad now.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Ktgrok said:

This is basically what I do for my husband. Half a plate of non-starchy veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs. My husband is type 2 diabetic and has hbp, so I watch carbs and portion sizes carefully. I don't add salt to anything I cook, because I realized that DH automatically salted his food before tasting it. đŸ˜ Â So even if everything was perfectly seasoned, he still added a set amount of salt because it was a habit.  Ugh.  Also, I make DH's plate for him, rather than let him serve himself. He tends to underestimate carbs when he fixes his own plate. đŸ˜•Â 

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

And while diet can help, please remember that in cases like his with so much family history this is a genetic tendency, and probably a very strong one if both parents struggled.  Diet may play some role, but chances are unless he has major lifestyle and activity issues to address it’s probably not as significant as you think.  Getting healthier and more active never hurts, but I wouldn’t stress about it overly much unless a specialist gives you cause to think there is a notable lifestyle role triggering the genetic loaded gun of the hypertension.

That varies wildly by individual.

I agree.  The person I know with the highest blood pressure and cholesterol is thin, never overweight, eats very healthy, etc.  They just have bad genetics.

That said, moderate exercise, stress reduction, and a good diet is helpful to everyone .....it just might not eliminate the need for meds.

• Like 1