Menu

Academy BTDT -- Interview Prep?

LisaKinVA

PonyGirl has an interview with USCGA this week (tomorrow or Friday -- exact time TBD).  She's already been there for both AIM and an athlete candidate "cadet for a day" programs.  She has outstanding scores -- but we weren't able to get an outside teacher recommendation (I did two, dh did one, and a USNA grad/family friend did a 4th).  When we were there for the candidate program, I was told that interviews were for "helping fill in blanks" about the candidate.  I know her PFE was just okay (had planned to retake it in Dec at the special program, but it was canceled due to snow).  

I know a lot of kids (especially those who graduated from Naples Middle High School -- where she did some of her work) are offered the Prep program -- but with so many APs (mostly 4's a couple 5's) and 1550 on the SAT/35 ACT, I don't think they are really questioning her academic preparation -- so kinda looking for other things they might be inquisitive about (I'm thinking the grit/determination/overcoming struggles)?  Or might there be something else?  

Thank you!

• Like 1

This is where the "holistic" part of the Admissions process comes in and one has no idea what they are looking for.    It's the part of "what will she add to our campus if we select her?" and there's no way for you to know.  

Much good luck to her!

• Like 1

I think Margaret in CO had one or more apply to USCGA, but that was years ago. @SebastianCat might also have one applying there this year. Tagging her to see if she has any input. Most of the older threads I found were USAFA & USNA, so likely not helpful. Good luck! (I hope things have settled down a little bit for your family since the move & the start of the school year.)

• Like 1

I have one USAFA grad and a current USAFA junior. Some questions that could come her way (ones I would consider at least!):

- Why should the American taxpayers spend upwards of 1/4 million dollars (or the appropriate amount) educating you?

- What current events influence your desire to serve? How do you think the major current events will affect our country's future and position in the world? (or some type of current events discussion)

- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years and beyond?

- What is your family's viewpoint on military service?

- When you are discouraged and want to quit something, how do you motivate yourself to persevere?

- How can you contribute to the success of other cadets at USCGA? 

-Note: Many of the questions my kids got were not focused on themselves--the application process gives a lot of info on the candidates! Most of their questions were outwardly focused on OTHERS, and what they could contribute to others' success and our country's. This is important. Don't ever forget the service mentality as you answer questions. Also be honest! One of my kids got asked a question they had no idea how to answer. And they were honest. Turns out that was one of the things the panel was most impressed by--the honesty in finding an articulate way to say "I don't know./don't feel qualified to answer that question and here is why..." :)

HTH! Good thoughts and prayers your way.

PS And one that my kiddos did not get but that I really have heard of: If you were a hamburger, what kind would you be and why? 

• Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 11:46 AM, RootAnn said:

I think Margaret in CO had one or more apply to USCGA, but that was years ago. @SebastianCat might also have one applying there this year. Tagging her to see if she has any input. Most of the older threads I found were USAFA & USNA, so likely not helpful. Good luck! (I hope things have settled down a little bit for your family since the move & the start of the school year.)

After much thought and prayer, my son decided not to pursue service academy admissions, but thanks for mentioning us.

• Thanks 1