Menu

Arty people, I'm looking for some book suggestions.

Kareni

My adult daughter has expressed an interest in doing more art this year, and I'm looking for a book or two to send her.

Do I have more specific details? No.

She's not (historically been) a painter though she does have some watercolors. She's done most of her art with colored pencils (Lyra). She recently spent an afternoon using oil pastels for the first time. She took a college level intro art class some years ago and did a variety of (lovely) pieces with graphite pencils.

Any books need to be available through Book Depository as they have free worldwide shipping, and my daughter lives in Seoul.

Do you have any suggestions? Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

19 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I can't find the book I want to suggest.  (It's a specific book of daily prompts for art.  Google is letting me down and I can't find it on my shelf)

That does sound intriguing, happi duck. If you find the title, please post again.

Might it be here, here, or here?

Regards,

Kareni

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

That does sound intriguing, happi duck. If you find the title, please post again.

Might it be here, here, or here?

Regards,

Kareni

My kids have that first book- 642 Things to Draw  They found it too easy and its a daily prompt type of book for art.If you think she would like that then that is good but mine did not get into it.The easiest thing I can suggest is maybe get a class on Bluprint?She can do it at any time she wants and can use it for a long time.

My DD took a class and the instructor used The watercolorist's Essential Notebook but she felt it was outdated.I can ask DD if she has any other books she tried and update this Kareni

• Like 1

Maybe a dvd or streaming video rather than a book?  A Great Course on art?   A subscription to  Creative Live or MasterClass?    

I have a bunch of art books, and some are pretty good, but I think a video with movement is easier to follow.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, marbel said:

This is not what you are asking for, but here it is anyway because my art student daughter loves it:  The Secret Lives of Colour by Kassia St. Clair.  

https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Secret-Lives-of-Colour/9781473630819

It's not instructional; maybe inspirational?  

That definitely looks intriguing! Thank you, marbel.

Regards,

Kareni

2 hours ago, mominco said:

My kids have that first book- 642 Things to Draw  They found it too easy...

Thank you for the feedback, mominco.

The easiest thing I can suggest is maybe get a class on Bluprint?She can do it at any time she wants and can use it for a long time.

I'm not familiar with Blueprint; clearly, it's time for some research.

I can ask DD if she has any other books she tried and update this Kareni

I'd appreciate that!

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, Pen said:

A subscription to  Creative Live or MasterClass?    

I have a bunch of art books, and some are pretty good, but I think a video with movement is easier to follow.

I hear you on learning from a video. (I have to admit to liking the idea of having something to unwrap/open.)

Regards,

Kareni

Dd (daughter duck) to the rescue!  It's 365 A Daily Creativity Journal that I was thinking of: https://www.bookdepository.com/365-New-Expanded-Edition-Noah-Scalin/9780760350089?ref=grid-view&qid=1579149569049&sr=1-1

It is a bunch of different prompts.  The author used the same theme thru a whole year but it is open ended and doesn't need a theme.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1