Menu

Darn I thought I had such a good plan then I realized

My son is doing well as far as how he feels about the cold- he dresses properly and it doesn't really bother him. IN fact, he likes it!  BUT he has been very sick with several illnesses, and his immune system tanked so bad that's what caused the four other illnesses, two of which he is still dealing with.  We got him back on track a bit during Winter break but it's been rough. And I wonder if the shock to his system is part of the issue.  😞

My dd wants to go to PSU as well, and has several PA colleges on her list, but really, that's cold enough.  When I saw the temps in Spokane I knew there was no way. 

LOL, our area has humidity and some cold in the winter, but nothing like what I had growing up and going to school in the Rockies. Oh, the blizzards!

And my youngest complains all the time about how cold it is waiting for the commuter bus and going between buildings. I guess it's all relative.

• Like 1

I hear ya. We sound like wimps. LOL My son is into the cold, but seeing how sick he is really makes me pause and consider options for my dd -who already is less into the cold than he is to begin with. He naturally gravitated toward cooler weather all along, but not her.  So, sending her to Spokane would probably be pretty stupid. 🙂

FWIW, I'm guessing your son's illnesses are more about the college environment/living closely with so many people and new bugs than the temperature. Though it is true that winter weather drives more people inside in closer contact 🙂

Pullman is a pretty good drive from Spokane, though the weather is probably similar. I know kids in school in both places and they are all pretty happy. Pullman is definitely rural though, whereas Spokane has the small city comforts. Keep in mind that the coldest part of the year is pretty short, and the kids are gone for winter break for a few weeks of that. 🙂

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GoodGrief1 said:

FWIW, I'm guessing your son's illnesses are more about the college environment/living closely with so many people and new bugs than the temperature. Though it is true that winter weather drives more people inside in closer contact 🙂

Pullman is a pretty good drive from Spokane, though the weather is probably similar. I know kids in school in both places and they are all pretty happy. Pullman is definitely rural though, whereas Spokane has the small city comforts 🙂

I'm sure it has more to do with the close living quarters than anything else, but still, she would be miserable.  I asked her about it and she said no way, State College is as cold as she would consider.  An average high of like, 20, is not her style.  🙂 It's ok there are many other colleges though we had a friend that went to Pullman and LOVED it. Oh well

Edited by Calming Tea

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

I'm sure it has more to do with the close living quarters than anything else, but still, she would be miserable.  I asked her about it and she said no way, State College is as cold as she would consider.  An average high of like, 20, is not her style.  🙂 It's ok there are many other colleges though we had a friend that went to Pullman and LOVED it. Oh well

I'm not a Pullman apologist, I promise! It's fine to take it off the college list. :-) I was just curious about the average temperatures because I have been to both places in the cooler months, so I Googled.  State College actually has the overall colder average winter temperatures, which is what I suspected. I think Pullman gets a bit more sun.

I don't know- I googled it and Spokane is a bit colder but not as cold as I thought it was.  They might be having a cold snap right now, with the highs in the 20s all week.  That's good to know!!

I will ask my dd but my guess is she'd be willing to experience that much cold for PennState but not for WSPullman... 🙂

9 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Where are you?  Arctic Bunny sounds like a cold place indeed ! 🙂

Oh, just the Prairies where -37C without the wind is just plain cold, no matter what you’re wearing. We’ve been spoilt most of the winter! We got an email that the school busses probably won’t run tomorrow, with means either the ambient temp is -40 or it’s -45 with windchill. So, we are all planning on sleeping in an extra 45 min and driving the kids to school. Brrrrrrr.

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

Oh, just the Prairies where -37C without the wind is just plain cold, no matter what you’re wearing. We’ve been spoilt most of the winter! We got an email that the school busses probably won’t run tomorrow, with means either the ambient temp is -40 or it’s -45 with windchill. So, we are all planning on sleeping in an extra 45 min and driving the kids to school. Brrrrrrr.

Are you in the US?  You must be in Canada since you're using Celcius 🙂

SO is that -5 Farenheight?  Since 32 is freezing?  No wait I am doing something wrong here.  ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calming Tea said:

Are you in the US?  You must be in Canada since you're using Celcius 🙂

SO is that -5 Farenheight?  Since 32 is freezing?  No wait I am doing something wrong here.  ....

-35F

I think at -40, they are the same.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, Roadrunner said:

And I didn’t even think WA would be bad. But I also didn’t think “inland.”

Eastern Washington over the mountains is about the same climate as Idaho.  The same thing for Eastern/Western Oregon, Western Oregon and Western WA are more similar to each other than the rest of their state, and E. OR and E. WA are more similar to each other than the other half of their state.  Actually, politics as well, but I won't get political here!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

Eastern Washington over the mountains is about the same climate as Idaho.  The same thing for Eastern/Western Oregon, Western Oregon and Western WA are more similar to each other than the rest of their state, and E. OR and E. WA are more similar to each other than the other half of their state.  Actually, politics as well, but I won't get political here!

The varying geography in Washington state is so interesting. I've been to Wenatchee a few times and it reminds me very much of New Mexico (minus the big river.) Then you travel a half hour over the Leavenworth and you seem to be in a different place altogether. Go up to the Cascades and there is deep snow in places in June. Then go to the coast and there are mild temperatures and rain forests. It really is remarkable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GoodGrief1 said:

The varying geography in Washington state is so interesting. I've been to Wenatchee a few times and it reminds me very much of New Mexico (minus the big river.) Then you travel a half hour over the Leavenworth and you seem to be in a different place altogether. Go up to the Cascades and there is deep snow in places in June. Then go to the coast and there are mild temperatures and rain forests. It really is remarkable.

Sounds lovely!

• Like 1

We are from the upper midwest.  I think it is around zero in my locale right now.  Anyway, when we were touring schools like in Chicago/midwest we were surprised and a little amused by how much people talked about weather on the tours and how that seemed a big part of college selection to some.  It was ZERO a part of decision making here.  My kid applied all over.   And he  ended up on a campus with real winter.  It actually averages a tiny bit warmer than we do, though probably a little wetter.  We invested in plenty of smart wool socks, long underwear, etc and he's on his way.  People really do adjust to the weather and it is no big deal after a while.  But I totally get there is no convincing an 18 year old of that if they have their mind set in a particular way.  

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 11:03 PM, Calming Tea said:

Spokane is FREEZING.  Makes my son's Freezing Cold Adventure in State College look like a walk in the park!

So, never mind about WS Pullman.  Darn. 

Moving on.

But it is a dry cold.....🤣  Just kidding, it isn't!

When my parents were overseas I spent all of my holidays during college over in the Spokane Valley with my aunt and uncle.   I went to college in Seattle.  They had a condo up at  Schweitzer and we skiied a lot.  I miss it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

We are from the upper midwest.  I think it is around zero in my locale right now.  Anyway, when we were touring schools like in Chicago/midwest we were surprised and a little amused by how much people talked about weather on the tours and how that seemed a big part of college selection to some.  It was ZERO a part of decision making here.  My kid applied all over.   And he  ended up on a campus with real winter.  It actually averages a tiny bit warmer than we do, though probably a little wetter.  We invested in plenty of smart wool socks, long underwear, etc and he's on his way.  People really do adjust to the weather and it is no big deal after a while.  But I totally get there is no convincing an 18 year old of that if they have their mind set in a particular way.  

Honestly, that's because you are from a cold place, and are used to the cold, bundling up, and know the basics of how to live in the cold.  My kids grew up half in FL and half in CA.  They actually have to learn about layers, bundling up, how cold is cold enough that you can get frostbite, when you wear long johns, the fact that sweating underneath is not healthy and on and on.  When you add that to all the new adjustments, freshman germs, a new environment and the general germs of dorm living it can just be a little much.  Impossible? No, but definitely a bit much.  For my freshman son, currently in State College which is pretty cold, it has been an adjustment and he has had to ask friends and google some stuff, and he has also been extremely sick with multiple issues.  🙂 He actually LOVES the cold much better than Florida!  But my up and coming dd is not as hardy in general and also has a tendency to not want to wear layers.  She gets very itchy (maybe a touch of sensory issues) so it's going to be a HUGE adjustment just having to wear a sweater around all day, let alone the jackets, and other layers. (also edited to say I grew up in Philly/NJ and I am fine with the cold and never remember having an issue or even a complaint growing up.  But now when i go back in winter, even with proper clothing, it is a bit of a shock! your system really has to adjust or something.)

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

Honestly, that's because you are from a cold place, and are used to the cold, bundling up, and know the basics of how to live in the cold.  My kids grew up half in FL and half in CA.  They actually have to learn about layers, bundling up, how cold is cold enough that you can get frostbite, when you wear long johns, the fact that sweating underneath is not healthy and on and on.  When you add that to all the new adjustments, freshman germs, a new environment and the general germs of dorm living it can just be a little much.  Impossible? No, but definitely a bit much.  For my freshman son, currently in State College which is pretty cold, it has been an adjustment and he has had to ask friends and google some stuff, and he has also been extremely sick with multiple issues.  🙂 He actually LOVES the cold much better than Florida!  But my up and coming dd is not as hardy in general and also has a tendency to not want to wear layers.  She gets very itchy (maybe a touch of sensory issues) so it's going to be a HUGE adjustment just having to wear a sweater around all day, let alone the jackets, and other layers. (also edited to say I grew up in Philly/NJ and I am fine with the cold and never remember having an issue or even a complaint growing up.  But now when i go back in winter, even with proper clothing, it is a bit of a shock! your system really has to adjust or something.)

I grew up in FL and went to college in the midwest.  I had never experienced cold weather or snow before.  Other than learning the hard way not to go out with damp hair, I really had no problem at all.  I loved the cold and the snow.  My youngest is a senior in high school who grew up with cold/snow and she will be going to college in TX to escape the long cold winters.  She hates our winter (I do too now).  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I grew up in FL and went to college in the midwest.  I had never experienced cold weather or snow before.  Other than learning the hard way not to go out with damp hair, I really had no problem at all.  I loved the cold and the snow.  My youngest is a senior in high school who grew up with cold/snow and she will be going to college in TX to escape the long cold winters.  She hates our winter (I do too now).  

Definitely!  One of the top 5 states to send students to my kid's midwestern school is California.  A lot of kids do just fine with it and really like the change of scenery..  Getting sick first semester is pretty common for freshman no matter where you go.  Somehow my freshman got through without a sniffle!  I sent him with an air filter for his dorm room and elderberry gummies.  I think he tries to keep to a good sleep and eating schedule too.  He has early class which probably pushes the sleeping issue too.   There is a lot of stress involved that first semester and I know I'm much more prone to illness when I am stressed and not sleeping enough.  

I am a fan of the change of seasons.  I don't like our coldest weather or our hottest weather.

• Like 3

It is a learning curve. My kid went to go somewhere and wanted to take a walk, then realized it was closed when he got there.  Many of the student building are also closed today, so he was basically walking for almost 45 minutes in 26 degree weather.  He called me on the way back while sheltering in a random open building to try to warm up a bit. LOL...it *IS* a learning curve!

I grew up in Georgia and went to college in Minnesota. I definitely did not have proper winter clothing, but it was fine. Now I live in Alaska. Hard pressed to get the kids to wear coats here. I dropped my daughter off to school two days ago and realized when she got out that she was wearing a mini skirt/bare legs at -5F 😂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1