Menu

S/o International people views on Americans

fairfarmhand

3 hours ago, moonflower said:

you can pretend you're canadian

no one will know the difference unless you're quite southern of accent or brash of character, and they'll be prejudiced in your favor instead of being prejudiced against you

When I was in Europe in the late 80s as an exchange student, we did this all the time. 😄  When asked where we were from Windsor, Ontario (across the river from where I grew up). 

Do opinions of Americans differ based on opinions of whomever our current President is? 

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In answer to the original question I feel like your strengths and weakness are kind of the same

your strengths - you’re self confident and not afraid of taking up space 

and your weaknesses are kinda the same.

I’ve known Americans who didn’t fit the stereotypes it’s just probably that the ones that do are noticeable out in public.

its ok aussies have their own issues, we’re crass, bogan, racist, lacking in culture sometimes.  And in all honesty I will admit it’s true.

i also notice Aussie women tend to have really deep voices compared to Europeans.  I remember as a kid trying to deepen my voice a bit and succeeding.  It’s like a thing you have to do here as a woman to be listened to or something.

I also find even listening to those kind of YouTube videos people do with their kids or whatever that American kids seem to have a lot of opinions and be allowed to express whatever at length.  Culture is changing here but I just can’t imagine kids necessarily talking that way.  I hope I’m not being offensive because it’s hard to convey exactly what I mean.  We’re probably trained here to be more like “in my opinion, or I think or somehow moderating statements rather than being really direct.

I know exactly what you mean and it crawls on my last nerve. Here in the South, we'd say that kid was getting to big for his britches!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I reckon there was an outpouring of good will, say, at the start of 2009 ? That temporarily over-rode the anger at being dragged into Iraq ? And then faded to....um....

(This is probably just me/my social circle)

I'm still livid about Iraq.  Stroke level furious about it.  (Has it been long enough that that can count as a historical belief rather than a political one?)

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

We're exposed to a LOT of American voices. That's what it means to be culturally dominant. 

Some very 'cultivated' American accents are a bit of a puzzle to me, because they almost sound English at times, and I have a hard time working out Canadian accents - it's softer, somehow - but otherwise, I don't know what I'd mistake an American accent for, kwim ? I mean, it's not Kiwi, not Australian, not Scottish, not north UK, not south UK (except in the really posh ones), not South African...I could be mistaking a lot of loud Canadians for loud Americans, I guess ?

Couldn’t possibly happen!

• Haha 2

I've done some youtubing while ill.  I came across one site called "lost in the pond".  He's a brit, married to an American - and has lived in the US the last 10 years.  He  addressed the popular European past time of bashing americans.  (dh's niece's dh - used to bash americans. (they've always lived in germany.)  he'd never been to America, when he finally came here, he admitted there were many false assumptions.)

they'd only planned on being here a year after he lost his job during the recession.  they've stayed, and live in the upper mid-west.  It's fun to listen to him talk about the weather. (and mts) sort of like a friend who was born in upstate NY, grew up in Illinois - then moved to the intermountan west.  "when are you going to have weather? - this isn't weather, when are you going to have weather?"

bashing americans

generalizations

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

We're exposed to a LOT of American voices. That's what it means to be culturally dominant. 

Some very 'cultivated' American accents are a bit of a puzzle to me, because they almost sound English at times, and I have a hard time working out Canadian accents - it's softer, somehow - but otherwise, I don't know what I'd mistake an American accent for, kwim ? I mean, it's not Kiwi, not Australian, not Scottish, not north UK, not south UK (except in the really posh ones), not South African...I could be mistaking a lot of loud Canadians for loud Americans, I guess ?

what's so hard about understanding Canadian eh? (don't forget the "eh".)  - then there are provincial accents just as geographic areas in the US have different accents.

(I live near the border, and we have Canadian friends.  one commented about how Americans all look alike to him. - he raised his family here.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

I had a teacher who once said that Europeans could tell who is American because we wear tennis shoes while out and about. Mind you, this was in the early 2000s so fashion trends have likely changed. People I've known from other countries say they can tell because Americans are more confident and that it's noticeable.

this is one of the things the guy whose blog I started watching commented on - he said it bugs some Europeans.

39 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Anyone want to talk about white Southern American stereo types?

My dd went someplace with a bunch of West Coasters. "You don't seem like a Southerner. You're so smart."

"Don't you guys carry guns all the time?"

We're a bunch of ignorant rednecks. Doncha know! 🙂

My SIL, who was born and raised in the midwest, said recently as she was describing fixing something sort of haphazardly with materials she had on hand, that she had "rednecked" it.  My dad (raised in the South in the 40s) also had a term for that activity, and it was also something most people consider derogatory.  I told her the word he used for it (which I am sure I can't repeat here) and said it was probably the redneck term for "rednecking it."  I don't think she got the implied criticism, sigh.

• Sad 1

I have a similar story from when I moved from suburban midwest to Colorado Springs (a city of about 300k I think, very airforce/military town).  At 4 way stops there, no one stops to wait to see if anyone else is going to go, or if they might like to go.  You're expected to keep an eye on it and be going right when it is your turn, even a bit before as long as you're not going to hit anyone, and any pause at the stop sign is just not done.  In the midwest, you wait until the other person or people have seen you stop, see if someone else might like to go first out of turn, etc.  That kind of thing isn't really a moral judgment one way or another - the midwestern way is more yielding and polite but the Springs way is a lot more efficient - but I'm sure that to them Midwesterners seem slow and stupid on this account while to a midwesterner people in the Springs seem like they're always in a hurry and never give you a chance to just figure out the situation for a second.

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

But we basically like you, lol, and know much more about you than you do us, and consider your sensibilities quite frequently! Just a wee bit quieter, and stay on the left, and we're all good 🙂

DS13 asked the other day if people in right-hand drive countries walk up and down stairs on the left. He was also wondering (and I haven’t investigated, so I’m asking here!), are the windscreen wipers on cars opposite as well?

12 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Confidence is a huge thing in American culture, though, so I don't think people will get anywhere telling American tourists to be less confident.

There is the quiet air of confidence like Gandhi and the loud confidence like that of spoilt rich brats. Kind of like the difference between assertive and aggressive/entitled.

• Like 6

Speaking of driving, in NZ the pedestrial does not have the same right of way that they do in the States.  In the US you can usually trust (at least outside of NYC or whatever, I'm just familiar with smaller cities and suburbs, up to about 2 million metro) that cars are watching for you and know to stop if you're going to cross at a stoplight or stop sign.  when a car is turning left or right, the pedestrian waiting to go straight has the right of way everywhere I've lived in the US.

So as a pedestrian in NZ I just walked right out when I thought it was my turn (that is, I was going straight and the light was green, or I was crossing a side street that a car might or might not have been turning on to).  Imagine my surprise on finding that the car has the right of way in those situations!  I'm sure some of them thought I was not paying attention, or being presumptively (American), or something, but really it's just a difference of rules of the road.

I didn’t read all the responses but what struck me are all the comments from non Americans are from Europeans or English language world perspective.

i can give you a perspective of a couple cultures outside of “first world,” and we love Americans! Loud? Fit right in. Most of the world is loud and warm and Americans are always smiling and interested and spending money on a local economy. European tourists are seem so stuck up and forget about Asians. All they do is take pictures and are super stingy and don’t spend a dime. So Americans stay loud and generous and smile! Don’t let the uptight people tell you how to behave. 😉

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

Well, I guess there's the movie accent...like Crocodile Dundee. And I suppose a few people sound like that ?

Idk. We're a very citified people. I think it standardises our accents a lot. There's probably a city/country accent divide as much as anything, but it's not anything much, and I would say it's become much less over the last thirty years or so.

I'd say our accents are culture based, and our dialects are regional.

1 hour ago, umsami said:

Do opinions of Americans differ based on opinions of whomever our current President is? 

I reckon the opinions are the same, but tolerance varies. I think the anti-imperialist sentiments are pretty well gone from the younger generation, because the US is where they get their media from.

7 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Who's 'they' ?

The cultures of all the English speaking nations + non English speaking European nations differ vastly.

It's pretty rude not to adapt at least somewhat to the culture you find yourself in. It's about being considerate, not 'being told how to behave'. That's toddler atttitude. 

did you read my comment? 
I am giving you the perspective outside of “first” world. 

12 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

My husband is from an Asian country and would say most of the people from his country of origin would agree with the American part of your post. 

Lol. Strangely, this was our experience in the ME too. We never went out of the way to draw attention to ourselves for security reasons but, man, those local folks were loud and demonstrative in public while we backed away slowly from any commotion. They also appreciated our spending habits, lol.

In SA, most people assumed we were ‘colored’ people until we opened our mouths. We got lots of perks behind that confusion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

And racist drunkards are complaining  about loudness? 😂

i will say though that stereotypes are terrible things on all sides. 

You know they don’t bother us I don’t think.  I mean it bothers me that there’s enough truth in it to make it embarrassing.  But we’re kind of self deprecating so we own it or laugh it off.  I don’t think any Aussie here has got defensive and said “no we’re not really like that”.  Whereas the US posters are like..: nah that’s not us you must have mixed us up with Hollywood 😂🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Good grief, if it’s confidence that pegs us as Americans, I can’t imagine what I’d be pegged as...  Is there a culture known for being extremely low on the self-confidence scale? Mousy, even?  My neighbor tells me frequently I have zip in the confidence dept and am so down on myself.  She is a pretty up-front New Englander.  
I was raised in the Deep South (and my accent is ‘bad’ enough that I was always made fun of growing up by people who are from the same damn place I’m from! They made fun of me because my southern accent is stronger...albeit much stronger. But still. 😒. I won’t tell you the nickname they gave me in middle school.)   I open my mouth and people think I’m a dim witted, uneducated, bumpkin.  Or If I’m on the phone with them, the accent has frequently turned men on enough so much so that 411 operators have asked where I live and if I’m single.  So southern accent = stupid or either bimbo.   Seriously we need to lose the stereotypes.   That said, I *shamefully* admit to being horrified when a couple family members married ‘yankees’.  Seriously.  Down here, most families are mixed race, have LBGTQ family members, etc.  No one bats an eye.  Marry a ‘yankee’?  Oh hell no.  I got sucked into that stereotype.  They both proved me wrong.  😍

sorry for rambling.  It’s late, meds. 

Hmm.  You probably fit right in down here!  I actually reckon it’s less actually confidence and more a projection of confidence we’re talking about.  I suspect most countries have a fairly equal number of people prone to introspection and self examination it’s just that some cultures really put it over as if they aren’t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Yeah, there are enough racist bogan drunks on holiday elsewhere that there's some truth in the stereotype. I don't take it to be a criticism of me, because I'm not a racist drunk (I can bogan sometimes, if I'm in the mood). The uptight thing is silly because it just doesn't really apply, except to very Anglo peeps. In truth, the rascist bogan drunks could do with being a little more uptight!

Is it possible to be an uptight racist bogan drunk?  😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StellaM said:

You can't be uptight and bogan. Not possible.

You can be an uptight racist. 

Maybe an uptight drunk ? Like,  some woman in Kew drinking G&T's and biting her nails furiously ?

But you can't be all three.

Bogans are well uptight, but it's a culturally different type of uptightness than a non-bogan.

Precision is important, Stella.

(And for the rest of you playing along, I'd have let this go if she hadn't made comments about Melbournites. She's showing her cultural assimilation, she is, she is. )

I will say that it’s fun looking at cultures. So I watched the Crown. There is a scene there when the family sits down whatever her name is the queen’s daughter and asks her to leave emotions aside while they are asking her questions about Charles.
I am trying to imagine that exact situation in my culture. Oh boy. Leave emotions aside? Use rationality? What are those words???!!!! 😂😂😂😂

I watched  this and I realize I come from a land of crazy. Absolute crazy. People don’t use brains, only hearts and results are not what you would want. Northern Europeans seem almost non human to me with the way they can hold themselves, and I am “cold” relative to my cultural standard. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Oh @Rosie, what have you done to me!

Now I've got the mental image in my head of the uptight bogan after our argument, and after he gets real sloppy saying 'but I love ya, mate, I mean ya don't follow a team or nothin, but mate, we're Aussies, and I love ya mate, I do.'

You just remember that next time you wanna make comments about Melbournians, Girlfriend. 🤺

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

He makes excellent points in these videos.  And, aside from our accents, when we lived in another country (GB) we were pretty much never pegged as Americans.  It was a little frustrating how often the “I’m a little surprised you’re so ____” compliments came up.  Most of my classmates genuinely expected us to be like Hollywood and movies.  Sigh.

I ran into this with many Germans I met.  They seemed really disappointed that we weren't all like something from a movie or tv show.  Like, that's not real...?  Did that get lost in translation, lol? 

Edited by MissLemon

15 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I ran into this with many Germans I met.  They seemed really disappointed that we weren't all like something from a movie or tv show.  Like, that's not real...?  Did that get lost in translation, lol? 

my dad once said to me that all the American TV shows were responsible for a lot of negative stereotyping. People watch American TV and then think all of this is playing out on our streets and homes. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I suppose America is full of "all the accents."   There are quite a few of them.  I would suppose that a deep south accent, a Boston type accent, and perhaps a west coast type of accent might be distinctive, but is a midwest, or a southwest accent really that distinctive?  

Genuinely, I don't know.  

What is a non-accent to a fellow American is still an accent to the rest of the world.  I was brought up with pretty much a non-accent as far as Brits are concerned, but I would definitely sound British to you.  If you listen to Hugh Laurie in House, he probably doesn't have much of an accent to you, because you are American and he was imitating a non-differentiated American accent (I believe).  If you hear him use his native accent (you could Google an interview) then he would definitely sound British to you, with his non-differentiated British accent.

5 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I think this is totally true, but also, I dunno....

I traveled to Europe when I was a teen.  So, like a million years ago, and I was pretty young.  I didn't feel like we were a lout or obnoxious group at all.  There were......12...of us I think.  It was a Girl Scout trip and I freely admit that in many cases, wearing our scout uniforms clearly gave us away.  But I also know that many times, on tubes and busses, people commented about the "stupid American group" and I really didn't feel like we were particularly obnoxious.  I mean, we were a group of teens so there was that, but we were a group of girl scout teens, in a time before social media.  It's not like we were taking a billion selfies or anything.  I really don't know how people identified us.  Particularly in England and in situations where the people saying "Stupid American Group" hadn't tried to communicate with us and we weren't in uniform.  

Do you think you could have been using your outside voices?  The norm in the UK is to say nothing on public transport that can be heard by a neighbouring person.  We are all stuck on the bus and we want our own space for that time - often very valuable quiet time between work and family, for example.  A large British group would usually fall silent on entering a bus or Tube (unless drunk....) and only talk quietly to the person exactly next to them, or exchange necessary comments with the group about when to get off.

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have opinions on all nationalities, and Australians as a group as well. Quite frankly I am ashamed by the swearing drunk Aussie international image.

And as for drunk Brits....

4 hours ago, umsami said:

When I was in Europe in the late 80s as an exchange student, we did this all the time. 😄  When asked where we were from Windsor, Ontario (across the river from where I grew up). 

There's a general underlying opinion, but it waxes and wanes a bit, based on current affairs (presidents, wars, etc.)

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

That first video was fun!

he's wrong though - Brits bash Aussies all the time, they think we're basically just convicts. I'd say that Brits feel quite a lot of disdain for Aussies!

I haven't heard that expressed, but that's probably because I'm not an Aussie.  I'd be surprised, given the state of UK historical knowledge, if most Brits even knew any Australian history.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, parent said:

I could never get through all these posts.  If it hasn't been said yet, American toilet paper is the best in the world.  So nice to get home 😂

don't squeeze the charmin!

Edited by gardenmom5
spelling
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

That first video was fun!

he's wrong though - Brits bash Aussies all the time, they think we're basically just convicts. I'd say that Brits feel quite a lot of disdain for Aussies!

I was on a comment thread on a completely different site. one was sharing the story of his PhD engineer brother going to Australia and bein asked if he had any convictions. . . . never let it be said engineers dont' have a sense of humor. . . . "I didn't know it was still required for admittance."

I think there are areas - who have disdain for anyone and everyone they consider to not be "like themselves", or "lessor" than.  apparently, it can be more pronounced in areas with distinct social classes.  dd lives in an area with a huge indian population.  the indian caste system in the local elementary school is alive and well.

his videos on things he never used before he came to America were good. . . . like a snow shovel - he'd never even heard of one.  he broke down and bought a snow blower. (and accidently shot his brother in law with it . . . . he's sorry . .  . . )

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

DS13 asked the other day if people in right-hand drive countries walk up and down stairs on the left. He was also wondering (and I haven’t investigated, so I’m asking here!), are the windscreen wipers on cars opposite as well?

Yes, we walk up and down on the left. 

The wipers are the same as left hand cars, I just peeked at my neighbour's. Now I'm wondering why?

Edited by Islandgal
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, umsami said:

Not mine, I'm exposed to many Americans on a consistent enough basis to have an opinion based on what I've actually seen and heard. While every American is not the same, I'd say there is an overwhelming majority that exhibit the kind of behaviour being discussed here.

Your current president directly impacts my country's economy on a large scale, however that's an entirely different discussion.

Edited by Islandgal
  • Like 3

Honestly I have zero patience for the American stereotype. We can play this game (British tourists,  really?), with almost every single nationality but somehow it’s just okay when it’s Americans we rag on? 
I mean I’ve had it up to here with being overseas and people assuming my kids won’t eat a veggie or we somehow know about all the McDonalds. The busiest McDonald’s I’ve seen was in France and I’ve not set foot on one in many years and I don’t take cruises. Ugh.

eta that spatial awareness is a tourist thing not an American thing. Try working 5 blocks from Times Square😂

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Well while reading the non-American responses this American was thinking, "I know, right? You guys see what we have to put up with all.the.time." It drives me NUTS the way most Americans in AZ and NC and every American airport I've been in all over the country (because someone's going to ask where) stand as much in the way as possible in public places. It's like they thought about it first, "Hhhhmmmmm, where I can stand so I can block foot traffic as much as possible? Nooo, not here, I'd better move another foot to the right...noooo, there's still too much space for someone to get by, I'd better take another step...Yes! I could not be more in way.  Mission accomplished!" Talk about oblivious.  I see this almost every time I go in public. Apparently they  wouldn't want things to move along efficiently because it's so much fun to be in this crowded place running errands." I tell my little kids all the time, "You're standing in the walk way, move over to the side so people can get by." or "We're not the only ones here, make room for others."

And I'm frustrated with loud Americans in public too.  No, I shouldn't have to hear your side of that phone call or your conversation with your group at the next table in the restaurant.  The loud music isn't helping, and it's training people to yell at each other while eating, but when the music's not blaring I don't want to hear you anymore than you want to hear me. This is so common there's a meme that goes around FB that says something like, "If a stranger's arguing with someone on the phone they should have to put it on speaker so I can hear the other side of the story." There are comedians who joke that people who talk loudly on the phone in public and just talk loudly in public shouldn't complain about privacy issues in general-they violate their own privacy all the time. The reason people post and laugh at those jokes is because it's so common the audience can relate. No Fussy McSensitive, you don't do that, but others do and we're going to talk about that because that's the topic of conversation on this thread. 

The arrogant thing in some situations might just be cultural interpretation .  Just like different personalities and regions in the US interpret the same behavior differently.  What is assertive to one person or in one American region is interpreted as rude in another.  What is considered kind in one region is considered manipulative or evasive in another. Matter of fact can be interpreted as either neutral or negative depending on the subcultural norms. Ma'am is a compliment or an insult depending on where you are in the US. So that's life.  People should be able to discuss it because cultural norms do exist and aren't automatically unfair stereotypes. And just because this conversation about cultural norms is about Americans abroad doesn't mean this conversation is only ever about Americans abroad. It's just our turn now.

• Like 7

Can't read all the replies, but I'm an American living in Montenegro (South central Europe) and have travelled all over.  

Sadly, many people believe in an American culture as defined in movies and shows because they don't actually know many Americans.  

But with those who do know individual Americans, and from my personal experiences, I and others *can* usually spot the Americans (not tourists--we don't live in a touristy town) because of:

Casual dress.  Outgoingness. Definite Can-do attitude. Individualism.  

Now, where Americans often perceive all of these as "good" things, to some people in some cultures, it looks different.  It just does.

• Casual dress-->uncaringness of general society/sloppiness
  • Outgoingness-->pushy or not respecting others
  • Can-do--> thinking you're better than others
  • Individualism--> not respecting elders/traditions/family

I can also say, that where we live, most people long to have the opportunities we have in the States and wish for the chance to move there.

Ultimately, in this global world of ours, I think (and strive) to understand and appreciate other cultures (and all cultures have good/bad qualities); the things that bother me or seem wrong once had/still have a reason for being there....  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

my dad once said to me that all the American TV shows were responsible for a lot of negative stereotyping. People watch American TV and then think all of this is playing out on our streets and homes. 

I think this is true.  We lived in Middle Eastern countries in the 80's where available American TV shows were very restricted.  One American TV show that was allowed on their TV networks was Dallas!   It was wildly different from their very conservative environment and I think it definitely promoted a type of American stereotype.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StellaM said:

Well, even when you use your American manners and tell individuals that you like them, love them, think their society and culture has wonderful aspects, and here's a teeny, requested critique of SOME Americans, someone's gonna get mad at you, that's for sure.

yes, but don't you think that is true of some people from other cultures?  I don't think Americans have the corner on being offended.

I've been enjoying this thread but it's certainly not easy to hear we Americans can be buffoons abroad.  I'm not offended... just hoping I can do better when/if I travel next. 

• Like 3

I am shocked that no one has mentioned that the US is full of Christian nutters! That is always at least #2 on the list. At least it is on travel boards like Fodors. 😄

#2.5 Closely related...allegiance to the flag.

#3 is people in the US calling themselves Americans because, after all, there are numerous countries in North, Central and South America. The reason: it’s easier to say “Americans” than “person from the United States.” Possibly ignorance as well.

#4 Americans abroad who’ve sewn the Canadian maple leaf on their backpacks and who don Roots clothing while peppering their conversations with “eh.” C’mon. You’re not fooling anyone with that loud voice and confident air. And your baseball cap. Ahem.

I will be bold and say that there are several countries in Europe where the people tend to be even more confident-appearing than us. Hello, Germany! But we admire that.

The points being made in these threads are just simply things to keep in mind while traveling. Behave considerately and most people will like you when you travel. That goes for travel within the States as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

yes, but don't you think that is true of some people from other cultures?  I don't think Americans have the corner on being offended.

I've been enjoying this thread but it's certainly not easy to hear we Americans can be buffoons abroad.  I'm not offended... just hoping I can do better when/if I travel next. 

Absolutely, Americans don't have the monopoly on sensitivity or patriotism. However, even when criticism is slightly perceived, most times it is made into a bigger deal than necessary. My opinion is it stems from being a superpower for so long and there is a level of superiority ingrained, unconsciously of course. Not unlike the benefits of being born a certain colour.

I'm sorry it's difficult to hear, no one likes to hear the harsh truth, and I'm glad you're not offended and are open minded.

I'd like to add that my experiences have also been when travelling to the U.S. to visit with family, or on vacation and working with Americans locally, not solely based on tourists to my country. The most welcome and friendly region, in my opinion, has been the mid west.

Edited by Islandgal
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

So here's a question: Why is confidence considered offensive?  

It is the air of “my way or the highway”, superiority complex kind of confidence from any nationality that’s offensive. It’s not just Americans, I can tell you Chinese can be just as bad in that aspect and I am chinese. 

You can be confident without putting people down directly or indirectly.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, StellaM said:

I have opinions on other tourists too, but one doesn't give opinions unless asked, and the question in this thread was to do with American tourists.

If it hadn't been asked, I would have kept my thoughts to myself, as I've always done, unless I was having arvo tea with Melissa, lol

I'm happy to talk about all the things Aussies do wrong overseas if you want. 

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have opinions on all nationalities, and Australians as a group as well. Quite frankly I am ashamed by the swearing drunk Aussie international image.

I’ve never actually heard of the swearing drunk Aussie stereotype before.  The American stereotype of Australians that I have encountered is: really friendly, great sense of humor, great food, and perpetually surrounded by kangaroos, koalas, and crocodiles.  🙂  This is probably the result of us all growing up loving Steve Irwin.

12 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Anyone want to talk about white Southern American stereo types?

My dd went someplace with a bunch of West Coasters. "You don't seem like a Southerner. You're so smart."

"Don't you guys carry guns all the time?"

We're a bunch of ignorant rednecks. Doncha know! 🙂

I’m from the west, but was born in Tennessee while my dad was serving a judicial clerkship there.  He’s told me how occasionally, a northern lawyer would take a condescending attitude with the slow-drawling southern judge, and the judge would eat him for lunch.

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I didn’t read all the responses but what struck me are all the comments from non Americans are from Europeans or English language world perspective.

i can give you a perspective of a couple cultures outside of “first world,” and we love Americans! Loud? Fit right in. Most of the world is loud and warm and Americans are always smiling and interested and spending money on a local economy. European tourists are seem so stuck up and forget about Asians. All they do is take pictures and are super stingy and don’t spend a dime. So Americans stay loud and generous and smile! Don’t let the uptight people tell you how to behave. 😉

Out of curiosity, where is this perspective from?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It is the air of “my way or the highway”, superiority complex kind of confidence from any nationality that’s offensive. It’s not just Americans, I can tell you Chinese can be just as bad in that aspect and I am chinese. 

You can be confident without putting people down directly or indirectly.

I think confidence is the polite word everyone is using, perhaps that isn't what is really meant. 

Of course, not all Americans are this way, people are this way everywhere in the world. However, this thread is about Americans.

I apologize if I am offending anyone, it is certainly not my intent. I am trying to answer the questions that were asked.

I'll get ready for the push back.

Edited by Islandgal
Sorry, Arcadia, I didn't mean to quote you. I meant to quote fairfarmhand with her question but I can't figure out how to get rid of it!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1