Menu

Clothes that are neither clean nor dirty

Carol in Cal.

DH and I both employ a "separate side of the closet" method. Also, for his button down shirts, he leaves them unbuttoned once he rehangs them between the 1st and 2nd wear. This works well for us. 

If you didn't want to do that/don't have closet rod space to do that, maybe you could get one of those stand alone hanging rods that would go over a hamper? Then you could put dirty stuff in the hamper, and worn-once stuff on the hanging rod above the hamper?

• Like 1

I hang them on hooks which I have put on the backs of our bedroom and bathroom doors.  If I run out of hooks, I just lay them flat over a chair I don't sit in much.  After it gets a chance to air, I may or may not return it to the closet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

I... drop them on the floor in a corner. 🤷

This.  But I do wear them immediately the following day, so no one has to see the heap except DH and me.  

If it's something nicer, like I dressed up for a Christmas party, and surprise! didn't spill on myself, then I will hang them back up in the closet as though they had been washed.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I reserve a small space at the end of one rod in my closet for clothes that are okay for another wearing.

This is what I do too. I also have a couple of hooks (one inside the closet, one on the outside of the closet door) where I hang those items too.

• Like 1

I drape them over the bottom rod in the closet (so, over my shirts). I don't always wear them the very next day, so I sometimes have two or three outfits draped there, waiting to be worn again.

My dh rehangs his work clothes, at the most accessible end of the rod. We have a system with his dress (work) shirts. When I wash them, I button the top button. After they've been worn, he hangs them back up, but doesn't button them. That way, he knows to only wear it one more time, and I know that it could actually be washed, if I'm looking for things to wash (doesn't happen very often). After the second wearing, he puts them in the hamper.  I think he wears his pants three times.  

That's just his dress clothes that he wears to work. Once he gets home, he changes into jeans and a t-shirt, and sometimes a casual button up shirt as well. Those get heaped up on the chest in the closet. When I do laundry, I smell them. If they smell like an airplane or the backyard, I wash them.  If he only wore them to sit and watch TV, they get reworn again and again.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Cardigans go folded back up and put with the others like they were. 

my pjs from the day before are draped over the footboard of my bed

jeans are on the floor in my closet where I stepped out of them (and will wear the next day or so)

I don’t typically re-wear anything else, so those are my major daily not clean/not dirty items. 

Edited by mmasc
Typo

Shirts are hung back up, inside out. If I see an inside out shirt and don't remember when I wore it last....I toss it in the wash.

Pants are hung on hooks behind the door. I generally rewear within a day or so. When I do laundry on Saturdays, all jeans get washed, even if they are hung on the hook.

The hooks on my side of the closet are for a 6' person, so useless to me.  I have a basket of off season clothes topped with a laundry basket where I drape my work tops and jeans.  Usually wear the jeans the next day, but rotate the weekly shirt collection between one week and the next--so two wearings before they hit the laundry.  Not the best, but it works for now.  I used to have a chair I hung them on, but dh now uses his chair and mine.