Menu

What's with the ads?

cintinative

Has anyone used Great Books Academy's study guides and lesson plans?

Until I hear about if Roman Roads will offer the grading service, I am continuing to try to find options to supplement Wasko Lit/WAH to create something like integrated humanities.  

Has anyone used the study guides such as this? https://www.academybookstore.org/product-p/431.htm

and/or the lesson plans?

My thought was that these are not super expensive so I could use them to help me with the history portion. That said, I am not sure how easy it would be to "just" do the history part of these. My guess is some of the lit will line up, but not 100%.

TIA for any information you have!

Email them- they will send you a sample. I don’t remember now why I opted away from using them, but I considered it.

10 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Email them- they will send you a sample. I don’t remember now why I opted away from using them, but I considered it.

thank you! I did email them earlier today. 

What did you end up using?  

Pieces and parts of Old Western Culture (with their work books) a couple of older high school anthologies, a couple of study guides from Memoria Press, some great courses lectures  - and whatever my daughter wanted to read for history. Honestly it hasn’t worked out at all like I hoped/ planned. She took an unexpected interest in government and political science, so our focus was suddenly on more modern history. We’re actually doubling back next year for ancient lit- if not history. We’ve ended up doing history/ lit in this order: Middle Ages, renaissance, modern / contemporary/ comparative government. I’m going to squeeze in some ancients in our way to US History and some topics in government and econ.

A lot of this happened, too, because of how we lined up with the other co-op students I teach. Honestly, if my dd like the OWC videos better, we would have done that with some history reading on the side. I actually wrote up a document mashing together several resources- maps from one program with a history atlas, anthology for lit and some full- length books. I ended up shelving it for now.

• Like 1

@MamaSprout I really like the look of OWC but I think my kids need help with writing which means that we need the grading service or I need to figure something else out.  They haven't gotten back to me on the grading.

Ironically my oldest did GC1 at WHA so he is not interested in the Greeks and Romans part of OWC yet, and this year we are doing modern history.  So I was hoping to do Medieval next year, then Renaissance/Early Modern, then swing back to Ancients. 

I can totally relate to the best laid plans versus what actually happens.  😃 

For writing we did WWS 3 in 7th grade along with our last pass through grammar, spelling and vocabulary, then the next year British Lit (America Reads) with writing assignments out of it. The following year we used what’s been released from OWC Year 4 + some MP guides and They Say I Say. This year is the rhetoric we talked about and World Lit with a similar older high school book.

The America Reads anthologies usually have pretty good writing assignments in them, and sometimes TEs can be found inexpensively. 

Edited by MamaSprout

Have you looked at Scholar's Online? They have an asynchronous writing program that you can use with any history / literature: https://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/writing.php

You probably won't find any newer reviews at the hive, but the older ones I found were good. The asynchronous class is newish. We didn't need it because writing is something that has been fairly easy for dd/ myself, but I like the concept.

• Thanks 1