Menu

Help!! Long Division!!

NewIma

We used base ten cards (or base ten blocks if we had enough ) and worked out long division physically and on paper step by step at the same time.  This worked well.  

346 div 2 =

So, holding your 3 hundred flats, you would place one into each of two piles.  You'll have 1 remaining in your hand because you can divide it into the two piles.  Now do the math on the page.  Above the hundreds place, you'll write a 1 (1 hundred in each pile) and below you'll write the 2 (2 have been used up).  Now, take the remaining hundred black to the bank and exchange it for 10 tens, which you'll add to the original 4 (Now on paper, you'll subtract, leaving you with 1 and "bring down" the 4, giving you 14 tens).  Divide them between the two piles, 7 in each pile.  (Now on paper, write a 7 above the tens place, and a 14 below, subtract to show you have used all the tens up).  Pick up the 6 unit blocks.  divide them between the two piles, 3 in each.  (Now, write the 3 above the units, showing how much is in each pile, then the 6 below, to show how many were used up in total.  Subtract to get a remainder of 0.)

I hope this description made sense!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all SO much!!! The videos look great and I love the practice suggestions. I am excited to try again tomorrow with some new tools. Also, plum and mms, thank you for the permission to move on.  I think we will spend a few more days on it and then go on to the next topic while (as was suggested) doing 1 division problem a day to keep cementing the skill. 

You are all AMAZING!!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, mms said:

Have you seen the education unboxed video on long division? She has a free worksheet too

http://www.educationunboxed.com/long-division-part-one/

it is actually helpful to watch the multiplication one first

http://www.educationunboxed.com/introducing-multiplication-as-rectangles/

This is one of my favourite resources. 

• Like 1