Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Robin M

Book a Week 2020 - BW2: Hero's Journey - The Hobbit

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

Thanks for clarifying the reading challenges!  I love the flexibility! 🙂

Question...  Does anyone else have a problem with audiobooks?  As in they can't remember a single darn thing after listening to one? 😛  I've always known my memory is almost exclusively visual (I remember what I see) but my lack of auditory memory means that audiobooks go in one ear and right out the other.  Literally. 😄  

Anyone else have this problem?

I came up with 20 categories for myself instead of doing a  10 x 10 or 4 x 5.  I usually read around 100 books a year. and there is a lot of crossover however. Shooting for 5 in each but some will probably have more or less. 

52 Books Bingo
Alphabet Soup 
Agatha Christie (3) 
All about Eve
Answer me this - writing craft and other non fiction 
Chunky and Dusty 
Clocks and Corsets (Steampunk)
Dragons and other fantastical Creatures
Fantasy 
Feed My Muse
Ladies of Fiction
Love and Mystery
Mood
Noble Prize Winners (3)
Revisit Old Friends
Science Fiction (Mind Voyage)
Silence 
Step into the Past (Historical Fiction)
Well Educated Mind (3)
Whodunit

Regarding Audiobooks,  I had the same problem.  In the beginning I listened mainly to books I already read so I could train my ears to listen. And I just can't sit and listen. I had to be doing something to keep my hands busy because otherwise I just tuned it out.  I started out listening while driving and after a while, segued to while doing laundry, cooking or coloring.  So try a book you've already read while doing something that uses muscle memory which I think will help it from going in one ear and out the other. 😘

ETA:  A good narrator is a must otherwise is ruins the whole experience. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robin M said:

Regarding Audiobooks,  I had the same problem.  In the beginning I listened mainly to books I already read so I could train my ears to listen. And I just can't sit and listen. I had to be doing something to keep my hands busy because otherwise I just tuned it out.  I started out listening while driving and after a while, segued to while doing laundry, cooking or coloring.  So try a book you've already read while doing something that uses muscle memory which I think will help it from going in one ear and out the other. 😘

I have a very good auditory memory, but even I have to be doing something else to really listen. In lecture classes, I would doodle or knit between taking notes.  Now with audiobooks, I mostly listen in the car. Works for cooking or laundry if I remember to turn it on. Sometimes if I'm tired and just want to sit and listen,  I'll play solitaire on my phone. Doing something mindless with my hands really focuses my listening concentration. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Even as a kid I never liked being read to, so I taught myself to read so I could just do it myself.  I can't stand audibooks!!  I don't know if it's bc I am a visual learned or not, just never liked it

 

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

Thanks for clarifying the reading challenges!  I love the flexibility! 🙂

Question...  Does anyone else have a problem with audiobooks?  As in they can't remember a single darn thing after listening to one? 😛  I've always known my memory is almost exclusively visual (I remember what I see) but my lack of auditory memory means that audiobooks go in one ear and right out the other.  Literally. 😄  

Anyone else have this problem?

Like Robin many of my rereads are done via audiobook turned onto a higher speed.  While I am an Agatha Christie fan I frankly never liked Poirot all that much but have to admit I love Poirot when Hugh Fraser narrates them.  Makes no sense!  Hopefully most of my AC 10’s will be audiobooks read by Hugh Fraser! 🥰

 I have always enjoyed being read to if it is done well so my enjoyment really isn’t a surprise.  I rarely watch tv because of audiobooks.  I knit, sew, and even machine quilt with headphones while I listen. Sometimes when a book is something I am interested in but at the same time know I will never finish if I read it in print I will get the audio.  It works well for me because I do read the book and frequently end up being quite fond of it. 
 

@Robin M Love the list and totally plan to watch your Steampunk finds.  It’s a category I feel in love with a couple of years ago and read several great books and since just haven’t clicked with anything.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't thought of it as a "muscle memory" thing, @Robin M.  I'm definitely willing to "work out", though. 😉

I recently rediscovered my childhood love of colouring so maybe I'll try listening and colouring to see if I can help improve my auditory memory.  What a fantastic "work out"! 😄

Edit: I think part of it is over-reliance on my visual memory.  I was tested a lot as a youngster and my visual memory test scores were always off the charts.  So I've spent too much time "working out" on one area at the expense of another. 🙂  I'm loving this "working out" analogy - probably because we just received 7 or 8 inches of snow last night and the idea of "working out" by colouring and listening to an audiobook is VASTLY more appealing than working out by clearing snow.

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The snow is awfully pretty, though. 🙂  The first pic is an old combine that was left by the original owners of our property - old as in it still has wooden slats on the reel.  The second is our old barn - still functional and keeping my horses warm and toasty.  The third is some of our trail system on our property.

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not an audiobook kind of girl.  I'm very visual-spatial.  Also, I'm just now getting over the audiobooks-are-cheating thing.  (I'm over it, but it doesn't help me because I just.can't.do.it.)  

I also have trouble reading on screens (except the Bible).  And hardcovers.  I have arthritis in my hands and holding e-readers is really difficult.  So is holding a hardcover book.  I need something with some give to it. 

I read the Bible on my desktop.  Most Bible that are light enough for me to hold have print too small for me to read.

Yes, I have problems. 😉

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am not an audiobook kind of girl.  I'm very visual-spatial.  Also, I'm just now getting over the audiobooks-are-cheating thing.  (I'm over it, but it doesn't help me because I just.can't.do.it.)  

I also have trouble reading on screens (except the Bible).  And hardcovers.  I have arthritis in my hands and holding e-readers is really difficult.  So is holding a hardcover book.  I need something with some give to it. 

I read the Bible on my desktop.  Most Bible that are light enough for me to hold have print too small for me to read.

Yes, I have problems. 😉

 

I recently purchased one of these:

https://www.thebookseat.us/

I'd been skeptical of book-holding type of things for years because they always seemed to have some major flaw that, if the designer was a reader, would never have been incorporated into the design - tip over easily, frustrating to turn the page, etc.  I think with this one, though, they've got it. 🙂  The thing even stays upright with a massive organic chem textbook in it (I've tried it ;)) and keeps the book open.  It holds my Kindle Fire HD 10 upright when it's in its case (the tablet is tall and not terribly light with the case).  It's been a good investment for me. 🙂

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Junie said:

have arthritis in my hands and holding e-readers is really difficult.  So is holding a hardcover book.  I need something with some give to it. 

Would any of these work for you?

One

Two

Or, if money is no object, Three

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @DicentraBeautiful pictures!  I spent part of my childhood in northern Michigan so those pictures bring back memories?

@Junie I also have problems reading physical books because of weight and size.  I have folding cases for my ereader devices that allow me to easily balance them on tables when my hands get tired.  My husband has several of these from Ikea which he leaves around the house and loves......the really cheap solution! 
 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bergenes-holder-for-mobile-phone-tablet-bamboo-10457999/

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Thanks for clarifying the reading challenges!  I love the flexibility! 🙂

Question...  Does anyone else have a problem with audiobooks?  As in they can't remember a single darn thing after listening to one? 😛  I've always known my memory is almost exclusively visual (I remember what I see) but my lack of auditory memory means that audiobooks go in one ear and right out the other.  Literally. 😄  

Anyone else have this problem?


I am an extremely weak auditory learner, so I just don't do audio books. On the other hand, I am an extremely strong visual learner, so actual books work best for me. Also not fond of reading books online or on a kindle or e-reader, sigh. So again, back to real books for me!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will likely be finishing Whiskey in a Teacup this evening.  I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo, Black Robe Fever, What is a Family? and Paddington Bear. I'm not counting this one, but it is delightful! 

1. Below Stairs by Margaret Powell (Selfie, Pick Your Poison)

2. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Soldier, Bingo)

3. 6 Day Body Makeover by Michael Thurmond (Making Stuff up, Pick Your Poison)

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dicentra said:

I recently purchased one of these:

https://www.thebookseat.us/

I'd been skeptical of book-holding type of things for years because they always seemed to have some major flaw that, if the designer was a reader, would never have been incorporated into the design - tip over easily, frustrating to turn the page, etc.  I think with this one, though, they've got it. 🙂  The thing even stays upright with a massive organic chem textbook in it (I've tried it ;)) and keeps the book open.  It holds my Kindle Fire HD 10 upright when it's in its case (the tablet is tall and not terribly light with the case).  It's been a good investment for me. 🙂

 

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

 @DicentraBeautiful pictures!  I spent part of my childhood in northern Michigan so those pictures bring back memories?

@Junie I also have problems reading physical books because of weight and size.  I have folding cases for my ereader devices that allow me to easily balance them on tables when my hands get tired.  My husband has several of these from Ikea which he leaves around the house and loves......the really cheap solution! 
 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bergenes-holder-for-mobile-phone-tablet-bamboo-10457999/

 

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Would any of these work for you?

One

Two

Or, if money is no object, Three

Regards,

Kareni

Checking out all of the links.  Thanks!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...