Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW2: Hero's Journey - The Hobbit

Robin M

Hot tea—check!  My fave is Dragon Well from Choice.  But today I had a nice pot of Jasmine Pearl , oddly enough at an Italian restaurant.

Tolkein—double check!  Maybe triple!  LOTR is my favorite book of all time~The Hobbit is fine but LOTR is truly extraordinary.  I have not read either one for many years.  Maybe it is time to revisit LOTR at least.  One problem with it is, every time I read it I have to take a break from other fiction fo about a month to let it wear off.  Everything else so pales by comparison.  

Cool thing we did this year—we watched The Two Towers starting at the exact time that teed up ”And so it begins” at midnight on New Year’s Eve.

Cool thing I did a few years back—gave DH that Tolkien cookbook for Christmas.  We have yet to make anything out of it, but I think it will happen soonish~!

So, LOTR became my all time favorite book the very first time I ever read it, which was in 7th grade.   Is that childhood?  Yes, and no.  If no, then my favorite childhood book was The Diamond In The Window.  It is set in Concord, Massachusetts and is magical, literary, and a corking good story.  I love that book so much that when it came back in print when DD was around 11 I bought multiple copies so that I could give them to everyone I could think of who might enjoy them.  I also used it as the basis for a semester long book club a year or so later.  Highly recommended.

Tomorrow I will post a review of The Book of Separation by Tova Mirvis, my next book of 2020.  I am on my iPad tonight and it is so slow that it is driving me crazy.  I planned to write the review tonight but will do a much better job tomorrow when I can use my laptop.

• Like 11

Reading:

When Falcons Fall by C.S Harris (Sebastian St. Cyr series) Really enjoy the series.

Audiobook:

Seeing a Large Cat by Peterson (Peabody series). Also a favorite.

I have so much work stuff going on right now that reading is rather slow. When I read that some people have finished 5 books since the first of the year I fell like a slacker in the reading department.  🙂

Hot Tea Favorite: Roiibos with a little honey...

Lately I have been indulging in Ginger Salabat which I also love with a little honey.  Honey is good!!  

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Dicentra said:

I also downloaded the free reading journal from the Modern Mrs. Darcy and it contains lists of award-winning books (Pulitzer Prize winners, Newbery winners, etc.)

Could you put in a link for this?

Also, does anyone have a good app or procedure for keeping a Commonplace Book?  Now that I'm seriously reading again, it would be nice to have one place/way/method to  note memorable quotes or examples of beautiful sentences.....  Before I select one, I'd like to mine what my options are!  TIA!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Negin, thank you for the photos. Especially the last one. Dh's first job after graduation (and right after we'd had a baby) was in upstate New York, and while that was a rough couple of years, at one point we visited NYC and the Met, and that Tiffany window made a strong impression on me. So it was lovely to experience it again in your photo. Do you remember another Tiffany window in the same room, featuring unusual Old Testament figures, like Tubalcain? I'm possibly misremembering details, but something like that.

These are the other photos that we took. The Tiffany windows have always been my favorite at the Met. The rest of it is a bit overwhelming for me. It certainly was that day. It was awfully crowded. I went to grad school in NY back in the early '90s and often visited the Met. It was never crowded like this. Anyway, I don't remember any Old Testament figures. I just know that I love the Tiffany art. We got some coasters in the gift shop. Gift shops in museums and galleries are always our favorite. We got Tiffany bookmarks also. 

June 25e.jpg

June 25i.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, loesje22000 said:

Red Bush is the most drinked (as in daily) tea in our home.

dealing with fever and selling homeschool stuff  makes concentrating on reading harder as usual.

I finished Imperial Radch #1  though .

I hope you feel better soon!

I drank Red Bush pretty exclusively for awhile several years ago.  I haven’t had a cup in years.  I have moved through several tea brands  since and now drink several cups of P&G each day.  Yes, even when it is really hot out......some say it is cooling and I wouldn’t say hot tea on a hot day is cooling but warm tea on a hot day is comforting.

Ancillary Justice https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333324-ancillary-justice is one of the Sci Fi series that I have as to read on my lists.  Did you like it well enough to read more in the series?

• Like 7

Red Bush is the most drinked (as in daily) tea in our home.

dealing with fever and selling homeschool stuff  makes concentrating on reading harder as usual.

I finished Imperial Radch #1  though .

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've had all of those Rutherfurd books on my TR list for several years now. Any suggestions which one to read first? I have no problem with long books so starting with the shortest one isn't necessarily the way I want to go. I'm sure I could start with any of them but I'm wondering if those of you who read it would recommend a particular one first. Mainly I want to read New York, Sarum, Russka, London, and Paris. I know there are more but those are the ones that most interested me.

I think Sarum was the first one I read so I say start with that one.   I'm also a sucker for any kind of British historical fiction so you may want to take that into account. 🙂  I think Russka is the first one that was published.

I can definitely relate! Many years ago we were going to visit Bill's grandmother in Tennessee in winter. We stopped at the TN welcome station just across the North Carolina state line. There was a little snow left on the ground, mostly just what hadn't yet melted. Bill and Dennis (4 or 5 at the time) were trying to make snowballs and have a snowball fight while I snapped photos. We must have looked silly, those crazy Floridians scraping up snow with bits of sticks and leaves in order to try and make snowballs. 🙂 

I would have thought it was adorable to see your kids doing that. 🙂  Would they still like some snow and/or cold?  Would anyone?  I have both available in SPADES. 😉

10 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

Could you put in a link for this?

Absolutely!  Here it is:

https://modernmrsdarcy.com/new-printable-reading-journal/

And I also added the link to my original post. 🙂

• Like 8

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I hope you feel better soon!

I drank Red Bush pretty exclusively for awhile several years ago.  I haven’t had a cup in years.  I have moved through several tea brands  since and now drink several cups of P&G each day.  Yes, even when it is really hot out......some say it is cooling and I wouldn’t say hot tea on a hot day is cooling but warm tea on a hot day is comforting.

Ancillary Justice https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333324-ancillary-justice is one of the Sci Fi series that I have as to read on my lists.  Did you like it well enough to read more in the series?

I absolutely drink tea on warm or hot days, it is the only thirst-lessing? drank I know

• Like 7

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

... Ancillary Justice https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333324-ancillary-justice is one of the Sci Fi series that I have as to read on my lists.  Did you like it well enough to read more in the series?

I know you weren't asking me, but I DID keep reading, so I can give you my take... 😉

Book #2 is almost as good as book #1. Book #3 feels like the publisher rushed her to print, and worse -- IMO, it takes  a weird and completely uncharacteristic left turn in a direction the characters and the world would NOT have gone in (from the way the world was set up initially in book #1). However, I really liked Leckie's next book, Provenance, which is about completely different characters, but set in the same world/time as the Ancilliary trilogy. So for me, yes, I did like it enough (except for the weaknesses of book #3) to keep reading the series, and the other book set in the "world".

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

I absolutely drink tea on warm or hot days, it is the only thirst-lessing? drank I know

thirst-quenching drink

(gently correcting because you put the question mark and I believe that English is not your native language)

I am learning Spanish and I appreciate when people point out a correction. :)

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

thirst-quenching drink

(gently correcting because you put the question mark and I believe that English is not your native language)

I am learning Spanish and I appreciate when people point out a correction. 🙂

Thank you! I put quotation mark indeed when I think it is not correct-english, sometimes my english brain parts wire over back into dutch, which is my native tongue, the dutch is ‘dorst-lessend’  but one definetly doesn’t learn these type of words during highschool english...

• Like 7

This last weekend I finished "The Book of Separation" by Tova Mirvis.

This is a memoir by a published novelist of her departure from her marriage and from her faith tradition.

I read it because I absolutely loved her first novel, The Ladies' Auxiliary, and although I was less impressed with her second one, I am in the mode of 'anything you write I will read'.

I enjoyed it but not unreservedly.  It must be very difficult to write memoirs about such difficult subjects without trampling on other people's privacy, and I am glad that she largely did not do that.  Without question, divorce is awful, and losing one's faith and community is awful, too.  She was very fortunate not to also lose her parents and siblings, none of whom agreed with her but all of whom seem to have continued to accept and love her.  Much of the writing is powerful and evocative, and unlike many such books that kind of fall apart for a while in the second half, this one seemed to me to get stronger and more well-written as it progressed.  

The crossing of the line out of her marriage and out of her Modern Orthodox Jewish faith occurred more or less simultaneously, a liminal set of statements that she moved through in one sitting after years of internal debate:

I do not believe it is true.

I can no longer live a life I don't believe in.

My marriage works only if I am willing to hide away the truest parts of myself.

My marriage works only as long as I agree not to grow.

After those realizations, the rest of the decisions were more or less mop up operations.  Then in the last parts of the book she comes to terms with some follow up questions that remain largely unresolved.  "When you're inside, good is a word that automatically belongs to you.  When you leave, it's a word that you surrender at the gate.  ...Being good is something to which I can no longer lay claim.  ... Absent the rules, what gives shape to your life?  In the unscripted world, what does it mean to be good?"

The book is disturbing in many ways.  She leaves her husband some time after meeting and becoming friends with the man that becomes her second husband.  She has three children and dealing with her loss of faith and loss of faith community is difficult for them.  Particularly in the first quarter of the book she falls into taking some potshots at her former religion, using the word 'supposedly' about questions of faith and truth quite a few times, in a way that seemed kind of trite and childish to me.  I'll bet that 5 years from now she will wish she had not taken those cheap shots.  But she does move past that, and the last two thirds of the book are very well written and strong.  

I am glad I read it, and can imagine reading it again and finding more in it.  I want to hear more from this author.

• Like 7

Waving hi! No hope of catching up today since I'm at work.  Dinner break and loving all the chat. 

2 hours ago, aggieamy said:

Robin - How do you like A Year of Writing Dangerously? I just started it and it wasn't at all what I expected. That said ... I'm not certain what I had expected!

I'm enjoying the book. Did you see the 52 writing prompts in the back of the book?   Also I'm using some of the quotes as prompts too or authors to look up and read about.   The snippets each day are giving me ideas to write about for journal and free writing.   It's just what I needed to get back into writing again.   I have other books I'm reading and will be working through  for flash fiction and non fiction.  Will post them on My Two Blessings blog at some point.  James has been guest posting and keeping it alive.  I negotiated with him on what days he can post since I''m going to be more active. 😋  He doesn't want to start his own and likes sharing mine.  I haven't started revising and/or rewriting my current wip as I need to outline and story board to figure out where to take the story.   Meanwhile will be reading books on revision such as the ones you gave me.  🙂  More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.   Customers are calling, later my dears! 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Waving hi! No hope of catching up today since I'm at work.  Dinner break and loving all the chat. 

I'm enjoying the book. Did you see the 52 writing prompts in the back of the book?   Also I'm using some of the quotes as prompts too or authors to look up and read about.   The snippets each day are giving me ideas to write about for journal and free writing.   It's just what I needed to get back into writing again.   I have other books I'm reading and will be working through  for flash fiction and non fiction.  Will post them on My Two Blessings blog at some point.  James has been guest posting and keeping it alive.  I negotiated with him on what days he can post since I''m going to be more active. 😋  He doesn't want to start his own and likes sharing mine.  I haven't started revising and/or rewriting my current wip as I need to outline and story board to figure out where to take the story.   Meanwhile will be reading books on revision such as the ones you gave me.  🙂  More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.   Customers are calling, later my dears! 

Ooh. I'm glad you pointed those out, otherwise I might not have seen them until the end of December if I stick with my one a day reading! 

Glad you're writing! I'm aiming for 300k new words this year and editing two WIPs so I'm trying to stick to two hours of writing a night. *fingers crossed* That life stays calm enough for me to have that time free.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

This last weekend I finished "The Book of Separation" by Tova Mirvis.

Looks interesting—I’m going to check into that. 

9 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

I just finished a book called Quench — about maintaining healthy hydration.

I looked up tea as a good hydration fluid and it looks like it indeed is, especially if not caffeinated.

We just used our last bag of Redbush/ Rooibus this evening.  Can anyone recommend a good brand for loose organic Redbush by the 0.25 kg to a pound-ish (half kg) type quantity? 

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

I'm enjoying the book. Did you see the 52 writing prompts in the back of the book?   Also I'm using some of the quotes as prompts too or authors to look up and read about.   

24 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Glad you're writing! I'm aiming for 300k new words this year and editing two WIPs so I'm trying to stick to two hours of writing a night. *fingers crossed* That life stays calm enough for me to have that time free.

Im wanting to do more writing too!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Hobbit -- notes from my reading journey this week:

CHAPTER 1: "An Unexpected Party"

• "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."
Already, with the opening ground, we get the author's tone -- a child's story (this almost sounds like something from The Wind in the Willows -- another deceptive book that seems to be written for children, but embraces adults 😉 ). But it is also overlaid with poetic sensibilities from Tolkien's study of/love of Beowulf and other alliterative Medieval works. (A little later in the chapter, in comes in full force with the dwarves beautiful, formal, alliterative song). In the next few paragraphs, we get Tolkien's sense of humor and his gentle pokes at human nature through the narrator's humorous parenthetical asides -- such as: "It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife." (LOL!) And, I will never forget those videos that Janice in NJ uploaded for just a short time many years ago, that showed her using the first 2 sentences of The Hobbit to teach a full on diagramming lesson that then led into showing how the grammatical structure of the opening sentences laid out hobbit characteristics on one side, and what the adventures of the story will lead this hobbit to on the other side. Wonderful stuff! Ah, Janice, you are missed!

• the "Good morning" exchange with Gandalf -- 😂

• And more humor...
So lightly and effortlessly done: the confustication and bebothering of Bilbo with a pile of unexpected guests eating up his larder -- culminating in one of my DSs' favorite moments, the dwarves helping with the dishes and their "Chip the glasses" song.

• the ancient theme of Hospitality
Finally, although it is done with much humor, the powerful theme of Hospitality (which runs through so much ancient and medieval literature)  is present in this first chapter. Hospitality is what a civilized person extends -- the idea that one opens one's door to the stranger and the wanderer and provides food and lodging and shelter from the dangers outside, as well as provision and guidance for the stranger to continue their journey. (Think of Abraham in Genesis who "entertained angels unawares", and the shepherd in The Odyssey who extended hospitality to his returned master Odysseus who looks like a ragged beggar, and King Hrothgar in Beowulf who is the giver of gold as part of his hospitality, and all the fairy tales where opening your home to the ragged person seeking refuge always results in blessing, good advice, or a magic gift. Hospitality is worth it 😉 

CHAPTER 2 - "Roast Mutton"

• complex, human emotions all wrapped up with everyday reality in the midst of a fantasy
" The washing-up was so dismally real that Bilbo was forced to believe the party of the night before had not been part of his bad dreams, as he had rather hoped. Indeed he was really relieved after all to think that they had all gone without him, and without bothering to wake him up (“but with never a thank-you” he thought); and yet in a way he could not help feeling just a trifle disappointed. The feeling surprised him."

• Tolkien already hinting at the wider aspects (cultures, histories, peoples) of Middle-earth
"Not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people…"
AND
“The old maps are no use: things have changed for the worse and the road is unguarded. [People] have seldom even heard of the king round here..."

• trolls
The character of an ogre in fairytales is specifically a man-eating giant, while trolls are Scandinavian dwarves or giants that are ugly cave-dwellers. Tolkien's trolls seem to be a bit of a blend of troll + ogre. And speaking of man-eating ogres...  One of the most horrifying short stories I ever read was the speculative fiction short story by T.H. White (known for writing The Once and Future King), called "The Troll" (1935). In the story, an avid fisherman on vacation arrives late at his Scandinavian hotel. He wakes in the night to weird noises next door and in investigating, he sees a giant troll in the next room devouring a woman (her night dress is rumpled up and her legs are kicking as the top half of her is being swallowed 🤢). Next day, he learns that a professor and his wife are staying in the room next to him, and that the wife disappeared during the night. The professor is really a troll, but nobody else can see that. The professor/troll has a terrifying, wide grin, and makes it clear it knows the fisherman saw him eat the woman -- and that the fisherman is next. Ever since reading that story, ogres in fairytales have taken on a frightening dimension for me, and I find I can only very uneasily laugh at Tolkien's three "cockney clown" trolls: Bill Huggins, Bert, and William.

On a side note: I find it SO charming, so unexpected, and so RIGHT that partway through Book 1 of the first volume of The Lord of the Rings, as Aragorn leads the 4 hobbits through that Wilderland, that they again encounter this piece of "family history".

CHAPTER 3 - "A Short Rest"

• such great fairy tale narrating language!
"Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway. They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave... Yet there is little to tell about their stay."

• runes! maps! swords! secret writing with a sort of "prophecy"!
critical ingredients for any good fairy tale or epic adventure

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

On 1/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, Negin said:

Robin, I had a wonderful cup of Earl Grey tea when I went out with my dh for our Sunday morning coffee out. I like tea so much more than coffee, but it has to be black/regular tea and with milk. 

Loved that book. 

I recently started "New York" by Edward Rutherfurd. It's almost 900 pages long, so it'll be a while before I finish it. Loving it so far. I read his book, "Paris" a few years ago, and I still think about some of the characters from time to time.

Some pictures to share, since I've been on a roll for several months now. The first one is sunset where we live (Grenada). The other two are when my dd and I went to New York for a few days back in June. Some may recall that it was an unpleasant trip due to the circumstances (estranged brother dying of cancer), but we tried to make the most of our time otherwise. We stayed near Times Square. The third picture is from our visit to the Met. I've always loved the works by Tiffany. 

Beautiful photos!

On 1/12/2020 at 9:40 PM, moonflower said:

DD14 has been bringing home 5 books a week from the public school library (her limit).  We pretty heavily restrict a lot of modern lit, and we've already read through a lot of what is permissible, so recently she's brought home all of Austen (evidently I've never read these!) and a lot of old classicish scifi, and some Dickens (also had never read).  This week I read all of Austen, Slaughterhouse Five, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  Over Christmas break we read Great Expectations and Oliver Twist.

Boy are those three different categories of literature!  I think reading Austen and even Dickens at the same time as the scifi really brought home how depressing the latter is.  Dickens can be depressing but at least things are worked out properly in the end (ie bad things happen to bad people and good things happen to good people).  My favorite of the Austens was Emma by far; Pride and Prejudice was neatly plotted and of course brilliantly written but I found it harder to buy. I think part of this is probably the difference in marriage/relationship norms; Emma was at least decently believable in that respect, and also felt like the carefullest, fullest novel.

Great Expectations was a cut above the rest of it, though.  Somewhere in the intro it quoted a critic as having said that it was the best first person novel ever written, and I agree.

Slaughterhouse Five I wish I hadn't read, and I kind of wish I hadn't let DD14 read at this age; Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was only slightly less bleak.

Re: the OP, DS11 just discovered The Hobbit in his school library, after having read through The Lord of the Rings series, which we have at home.  What a treat for him 🙂

Except that blasted Great Expectations.  The ending was depressing.

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I enjoyed it but not unreservedly.  It must be very difficult to write memoirs about such difficult subjects without trampling on other people's privacy, and I am glad that she largely did not do that.  Without question, divorce is awful, and losing one's faith and community is awful, too.  She was very fortunate not to also lose her parents and siblings, none of whom agreed with her but all of whom seem to have continued to accept and love her.  Much of the writing is powerful and evocative, and unlike many such books that kind of fall apart for a while in the second half, this one seemed to me to get stronger and more well-written as it progressed.  

The crossing of the line out of her marriage and out of her Modern Orthodox Jewish faith occurred more or less simultaneously, a liminal set of statements that she moved through in one sitting after years of internal debate:

I agree!  That is the reason I don't care for a lot of memoirs.  They just seem like a way to air one's dirty laundry.  It may be your story, but it is also their story.  Unless someone has chosen to commit a terrible crime and in such chosen to lose one's right to privacy for said crime, then an author should do their best to protect another's privacy.

• Like 10

I am still currently savoring Whiskey in a Teacup.  It is a coffee table-ish book that I pick up occasionally when I need a quick read that is visually appealing.

I am also reading Black Robe Fever, which is about judicial injustice.

The Count of Monte Cristo is my current audiobook.  I have needed to look up the synopsis more than once and have been having trouble keeping up with certain characters after a particular point in the book. 

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Except that blasted Great Expectations.  The ending was depressing.

Well I think the original ending was fair enough; the one in which they (spoiler in white) get marrried was a bunch of nonsense but otherwise it worked out okay imo.ied

Edited by moonflower
  • Like 6

In the spirit of Kareni's Bookish posts, here's one from NPR that I enjoyed: Most checked out Books NYC Library    We've read all except for #8.  Nice to see good literature appeals through the ages.....

• And more humor...
So lightly and effortlessly done: the confustication and bebothering of Bilbo with a pile of unexpected guests eating up his larder -- culminating in one of my DSs' favorite moments, the dwarves helping with the dishes and their "Chip the glasses" song.

I read this aloud to my children, oh so many years ago.  And as I was reading this, and they are imagining the scene, they sat on the edges of the chair, little eyes getting bigger and bigger, and were SO relieved and happy when I finished.  They memorized that poem and enjoyed reciting it often while doing up the dishes...

• Like 8

So, turns out my last book was a middle grade book, needlessly to say I finished it one day.  Started Snow flower and the secret fan by Lisa See.  I think this is going to be my last book about Asia for awhile.  I need a change of scenery.  Although I did learn  ALOT.

A friend is reading Unfreedom of Press, so I might look into that one.

Still reading Atomic Habits.  Someone asked me how I am liking it. I do.  I am usually not a big fan of self-help books but this one seems to be not too touchy-feely and actually gives very direct steps, etc. But I am not even a half way through, so we shall see

• Like 9

I retain my love of children's books, and they are my go-to for comfort reading. 

Since we are talking about children's books, this seems like a good time to post my pictures from Dragør, a village near Copenhagen. I was there in November. Many of you are surely familiar with Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, a fictional WWII story of how the Danes secretly transported their Jewish citizens to safety in Sweden. Dragør is one of the real town that participated in that heroic act.

My translation of the plaque is:

In memory of the many Danish Jews, who in October 1943 came to safety in Sweden from Dragør Harbour. " He who saves a single person's life saves all of humanity."

If you look at the picture of the sea, you can see the modern bridge to Sweden in the background. And Dragør looks a bit Shire-like, don't you think?!

bridge rev.JPG

plaque rev.JPG

roof dragør rev.JPG

gate rev.jpg

hygge rev.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I retain my love of children's books, and they are my go-to for comfort reading. 

Since we are talking about children's books, this seems like a good time to post my pictures from Dragør, a village near Copenhagen. I was there in November. Many of you are surely familiar with Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, a fictional WWII story of how the Danes secretly transported their Jewish citizens to safety in Sweden. Dragør is one of the real town that participated in that heroic act.

My translation of the plaque is:

In memory of the many Danish Jews, who in October 1943 came to safety in Sweden from Dragør Harbour. " He who saves a single person's life saves all of humanity."

If you look at the picture of the sea, you can see the modern bridge to Sweden in the background. And Dragør looks a bit Shire-like, don't you think?!

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures. I too love to reread my favorite children's books. One of the benefits to having two children so far apart in age is that all the read alouds I loved with Sophia I'm getting to read aloud again with John. Number of the Stars is one of them. As a child it was my first glimpse into the darkness that was the holocaust and I remember the horror and fascination in which I read it as a kid. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures. I too love to reread my favorite children's books. One of the benefits to having two children so far apart in age is that all the read alouds I loved with Sophia I'm getting to read aloud again with John. Number of the Stars is one of them. As a child it was my first glimpse into the darkness that was the holocaust and I remember the horror and fascination in which I read it as a kid. 

Number the Stars is one of my favorite historical fiction books and as gentle (is that the right term?!) an introduction into that dark period of time as one can get.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I know you weren't asking me, but I DID keep reading, so I can give you my take... 😉

Book #2 is almost as good as book #1. Book #3 feels like the publisher rushed her to print, and worse -- IMO, it takes  a weird and completely uncharacteristic left turn in a direction the characters and the world would NOT have gone in (from the way the world was set up initially in book #1). However, I really liked Leckie's next book, Provenance, which is about completely different characters, but set in the same world/time as the Ancilliary trilogy. So for me, yes, I did like it enough (except for the weaknesses of book #3) to keep reading the series, and the other book set in the "world".

Thank you! On the list and moving up....... I also want to thank you for your notes on The Hobbit.  I just read the first chapter and enjoyed using your notes and because they shall we say “centered me” as I tend to get caught up in things like Bilbo’s hairy toes being blessed to not go bald😂.  I hope you will continue posting them for us!

15 hours ago, Kareni said:

In case the DEStevenson fans did not notice one of Jo Walton’s books was a Stevenson.  One I haven’t read......I now feel the need to read it.  For those not familiar with Stevenson her books are simply lovely,  views into a another world.  Many including me would say Fluff....but the very best Fluff.  I don’t have time at the moment to double check but there should be some free to Prime readers.

• Like 7

On 1/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, aggieamy said:

Our snow storm ended up with a disappointing two inches. Heather - did you get the horrible storms they called for?

We had about two minutes of scary straight line winds, and that was it.  The yard was quite a mess, but thankfully our power stayed on!  

Around here, two inches of snow would shut the city down for at least 24 hours!  🤣😂

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Number the Stars is one of my favorite historical fiction books and as gentle (is that the right term?!) an introduction into that dark period of time as one can get.  

I loved reading this book to my dc as well. I missed so many amazing books as a child, but I've been blessed as a homeschool mom to read many wonderful children's books and share them with my dc.

This reminds me that I should go back and re-read a bunch of my homeschool books! 😉

• Like 8

Beautiful photos! I love Denmark! Looks like a couple of Christmas advent lights in the window of that house with the thatched roof. It must have been late November when you were there. Did you notice the lights in windows in the evenings? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, aggieamy said:

I did not read this book until I was an adult, but I love it, and always recommend it for middle grade reading as one of my all time favorites.  (The other two being “The Diamond In The Window” and “In Place of Katia”, both I which I read and loved in childhood.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Thank you! On the list and moving up....... I also want to thank you for your notes on The Hobbit.  I just read the first chapter and enjoyed using your notes and because they shall we say “centered me” as I tend to get caught up in things like Bilbo’s hairy toes being blessed to not go bald😂.  I hope you will continue posting them for us!

In case the DEStevenson fans did not notice one of Jo Walton’s books was a Stevenson.  One I haven’t read......I now feel the need to read it.  For those not familiar with Stevenson her books are simply lovely,  views into a another world.  Many including me would say Fluff....but the very best Fluff.  I don’t have time at the moment to double check but there should be some free to Prime readers.

She also had a book by Micheal Gilbert and Cyril Hare, who we've been discussing as Golden Age mystery writers! I don't know why I'm so excited about that BUT I AM!

14 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Wow. Wow. Wow. 

One more ... wow.

I've printed this and tucked inside my book to be Lori's version of annotated The Hobbit. Thank you for taking such wonderful notes and thank you for sharing them with us. You're now my unofficial Hobbit read along. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Lori D. said:

CHAPTER 1: "An Unexpected Party"

• "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."
Already, with the opening ground, we get the author's tone -- a child's story (this almost sounds like something from The Wind in the Willows -- another deceptive book that seems to be written for children, but embraces adults 😉 ). But it is also overlaid with poetic sensibilities from Tolkien's study of/love of Beowulf and other alliterative Medieval works. (A little later in the chapter, in comes in full force with the dwarves beautiful, formal, alliterative song). In the next few paragraphs, we get Tolkien's sense of humor and his gentle pokes at human nature through the narrator's humorous parenthetical asides -- such as: "It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife." (LOL!) And, I will never forget those videos that Janice in NJ uploaded for just a short time many years ago, that showed her using the first 2 sentences of The Hobbit to teach a full on diagramming lesson that then led into showing how the grammatical structure of the opening sentences laid out hobbit characteristics on one side, and what the adventures of the story will lead this hobbit to on the other side. Wonderful stuff! Ah, Janice, you are missed!

• the "Good morning" exchange with Gandalf -- 😂

• And more humor...

• the ancient theme of Hospitality
Finally, although it is done with much humor, the powerful theme of Hospitality (which runs through so much ancient and medieval literature)  is present in this first chapter. Hospitality is what a civilized person extends -- the idea that one opens one's door to the stranger and the wanderer and provides food and lodging and shelter from the dangers outside, as well as provision and guidance for the stranger to continue their journey. (Think of Abraham in Genesis who "entertained angels unawares", and the shepherd in The Odyssey who extended hospitality to his returned master Odysseus who looks like a ragged beggar, and King Hrothgar in Beowulf who is the giver of gold as part of his hospitality, and all the fairy tales where opening your home to the ragged person seeking refuge always results in blessing, good advice, or a magic gift. Hospitality is worth it 😉 

CHAPTER 2 - "Roast Mutton"

• complex, human emotions all wrapped up with everyday reality in the midst of a fantasy
" The washing-up was so dismally real that Bilbo was forced to believe the party of the night before had not been part of his bad dreams, as he had rather hoped. Indeed he was really relieved after all to think that they had all gone without him, and without bothering to wake him up (“but with never a thank-you” he thought); and yet in a way he could not help feeling just a trifle disappointed. The feeling surprised him."

• Tolkien already hinting at the wider aspects (cultures, histories, peoples) of Middle-earth
"Not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people…"
AND
“The old maps are no use: things have changed for the worse and the road is unguarded. [People] have seldom even heard of the king round here..."

• trolls
The character of an ogre in fairytales is specifically a man-eating giant, while trolls are Scandinavian dwarves or giants that are ugly cave-dwellers. Tolkien's trolls seem to be a bit of a blend of troll + ogre. And speaking of man-eating ogres...  One of the most horrifying short stories I ever read was the speculative fiction short story by T.H. White (known for writing The Once and Future King), called "The Troll" (1935). In the story, an avid fisherman on vacation arrives late at his Scandinavian hotel. He wakes in the night to weird noises next door and in investigating, he sees a giant troll in the next room devouring a woman (her night dress is rumpled up and her legs are kicking as the top half of her is being swallowed 🤢). Next day, he learns that a professor and his wife are staying in the room next to him, and that the wife disappeared during the night. The professor is really a troll, but nobody else can see that. The professor/troll has a terrifying, wide grin, and makes it clear it knows the fisherman saw him eat the woman -- and that the fisherman is next. Ever since reading that story, ogres in fairytales have taken on a frightening dimension for me, and I find I can only very uneasily laugh at Tolkien's three "cockney clown" trolls: Bill Huggins, Bert, and William.

On a side note: I find it SO charming, so unexpected, and so RIGHT that partway through Book 1 of the first volume of The Lord of the Rings, as Aragorn leads the 4 hobbits through that Wilderland, that they again encounter this piece of "family history".

CHAPTER 3 - "A Short Rest"

• such great fairy tale narrating language!
"Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway. They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave... Yet there is little to tell about their stay."

• runes! maps! swords! secret writing with a sort of "prophecy"!
critical ingredients for any good fairy tale or epic adventure

I stand in awe.  How are you literary people about to DO this?  I have a wonderful friend who is an English teacher and her skills always astound me, as well.  It seems absolutely magical to my science/math brain that folks are able to do this.

Thank you so much, Lori!  I agree with @aggieamy - you are now my Hobbit read-along guide. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I guess I haven't read the original.  I will be adding it to my reading list.

It's just an extra few pages; evidently (so said my edition, which had both endings) the published ending was something Dickens was talked into by a (colleague?  friend? not sure) who thought the ending he had written was too bleak.

As a side note, I read this one in an edition that had a lot of explanatory footnotes, and boy was it a better way to go. I didn't realize before how much I was missing just by being not of the time and not particularly well read or well informed otherwise.

• Like 6

@wintermom I was in Denmark right before advent. I left on November 16th. Candles are indeed an integral part of the winter months. This photo was taken that same day. My friend and I had done a little hike along the shoreline and then went into this cozy cafe. Of course there was a candle!

cafe dragør.JPG

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

@Negin  Thank you for more amazing pictures.   Earl Grey is my favorite tea! 

@Dicentra Thank you for the Canadian reads.  Do you remember a few years back when Yann Martel got mad at Stephen Harper and started the What is Stephen Harper reading challenge?  The list was online until 2011 and I followed it for a while, reading some of the books off the list. 

My favorite kids books way back when were Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Trixie Belden. I also remember Heidi, ,Babar, Madeleine.  I seem to recall Cherry Ames, but its pretty vague.  My brother got me into science fiction during my teens and I distinctly remember reading quite a few books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Larry Niven, and Philip Jose Farmer.       When I did Five in a Row with James, it really struck a chord and loved all the books which we read over and over again.  

@SereneHome  Linda Sue Park's A Long Walk to Water is also good!

@JennW in SoCal  Glad you had fun in Utah and enjoyed Ice skating. I remember the last time I was on ice skates and how difficult it was.  Did you keep track of the first bird you saw in the new year? 

@Ali in OR  It's been years since I read John LeCarre. I'll have to check him out again.  Have fun with your calculus class!  Lots of hard work, I know. Hubby tried to get James into it and I think Hubby spent more time doing the problems than him. 

@Violet Crown  Waving hello, plus I learned a new word - maieutically.  🙂

@mumto2 "Phylis Whitney, Victoria Holt, and Mary Stewart."  Three of my favorite authors way back before I got into the hard core science fiction. I also read alot of Harlequin's. The g rated variety. 

@moonflower Wow, what a wide variety.  I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, then watched Blade Runner again.  Interesting how they differed but enjoyable all the same.  The book wasn't what I expected which made it intriguing.   I remember going to the library a couple times a week when I was in junior high/high school, bringing home an armful of books each time.

@Lady Florida.  I liked Here Be Dragons the best in the Welsh trilogy but they were all good. Entertaining and educational.  When Christ and His Saints Slept is in my stacks for this year's read.

@Pen  I read Trumpet of the Swan to James and was so touched by the story.  It is a good one.

• Like 9

@Liz CA I have so much work stuff going on right now that reading is rather slow. When I read that some people have finished 5 books since the first of the year I fell like a slacker in the reading department.  🙂

Please don't feel like a slacker. We all read at different rates, some of us are retired from homeschooling, and a few books were started in 2019, but finished in 2020.  Enjoy your reads when you have time to read and don't worry.  I haven't had time to read a thing today and hoping this evening will be a no movie night so I can enjoy. 🙂

@loesje22000  Hope you feel better soon! 

@KareniThank you for all the links.  I really liked The Story of Ferdinand as well as Mike and His Steam Shovel, Katy and the Big Snow.  We read those over and over again.  Walton has a very eclectic list of books. I have the Red and The Black and meant to read it last year, but alas. I think I'll finish reading Proust first.  

@aggieamy"Glad you're writing! I'm aiming for 300k new words this year and editing two WIPs so I'm trying to stick to two hours of writing a night. *fingers crossed* That life stays calm enough for me to have that time free."

Fingers crossed but I'm sure you'll accomplish your goals. You are quite dedicated. Thank you for the wonderful post card.   I was just reading Katie Weiland's post on finding the best creative hours in the day, besides other things.  I've noticed I get really creative right before I cook dinner which is probably why I often throw something in the oven to bake for an hour.  Thank you for the wonderful post card.  😘

@Pen  Do you follow K.M. Weiland or James Scott Bell, among others.   Both their blogs and their books are helpful and inspiring.

@Lori D.  Thank you so much for sharing your reading notes. Makes reading The Hobbit all that more enjoyable.  The story of The Troll! Oh my!  As my son would say, nightmare fuel. 😀

@Carol in CA Wonderful review.  I usually don't read memoirs but occasionally get talked into it. I read Keeping the Feast  several years back, which was quite good, emotional yes, but very good.  Joan Didion's memoirs and non fiction are more creative non fiction than anything else but quite interesting. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

In the spirit of Kareni's Bookish posts, here's one from NPR that I enjoyed: Most checked out Books NYC Library    We've read all except for #8.  Nice to see good literature appeals through the ages.....

I read this aloud to my children, oh so many years ago.  And as I was reading this, and they are imagining the scene, they sat on the edges of the chair, little eyes getting bigger and bigger, and were SO relieved and happy when I finished.  They memorized that poem and enjoyed reciting it often while doing up the dishes...

Great link. I've read them all except for The Snowy Day and To Kill a Mockingbird.  Every year I say I'm going to read TKaM and never get around to it. Maybe I should just give up. 

18 hours ago, moonflower said:

On the ride to the grocery store today DS11 said hey mom, listen to this great riddle!  And then quoted one of the bilbo/gollum riddles, and couldn't believe it when I knew the answer (having of course already read The Hobbit).  He's having a great time reading it 🙂

How wonderful!

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I loved reading this book to my dc as well. I missed so many amazing books as a child, but I've been blessed as a homeschool mom to read many wonderful children's books and share them with my dc.

This reminds me that I should go back and re-read a bunch of my homeschool books! 😉

Yes, this.  I loved reading with  James and he still has the majority of his books still in his bookshelves. He won't let me get rid of them as he goes back and revisits time and again. I did manage to box up a few to make room for all his star wars books and comic books. However much I tried to relegate the boxes to the garage, they ended up in his closet. 🙂

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

@Dicentra Thank you for the Canadian reads.  Do you remember a few years back when Yann Martel got mad at Stephen Harper and started the What is Stephen Harper reading challenge?  The list was online until 2011 and I followed it for a while, reading some of the books off the list.

I do remember but I hadn't thought about it in quite a while - thank you for reminding me! 🙂

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Penguin said:

Penguin, I love your pictures! I would so love to visit Denmark someday. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1