Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Critterfixer

Accountability Thread 1/12-1/18

Back at it this week. The turtle-children are already snapping. They'll survive. Probably.

Today's goals:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, a longish dog walk in the afternoon.

School: Schedules, curriculum list (organize some project things that I need to do this winter and spring)

Cooking: chicken fried steaks, potatoes, gravy, broccoli, and lemon pound cake

Writing: Character work, finish polishing a short story I'd like to start sending out in February, personal reading, blog post editing, reading in preparation for line editing, writing exercise on two of my stories.

Extra: order lemon trees and dragonfruit plants for spring delivery. One of those project things.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

School is supposed to start for realz tomorrow. we are also supposed to get a bucketload of snow this evening . This shouldn’t matter for homeschooling but dd likes to school at Starbucks. 

• Like 3

I think I'll join you because I need to stick to the plan!

Today, plan the week and set up what they will do without me, so that it's grab and go.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I think I'll join you because I need to stick to the plan!

Today, plan the week and set up what they will do without me, so that it's grab and go.

I planned the week!  This is our first week of DC being with me at work only part of the week, and home with ds33 for the rest.  He has taken over teaching math completely, except my teaching ds12 division.  So I made assignments for division and all of their other subjects, and divided everything between a home folder and a work folder.  

• Like 3

Good Morning!

I am still sick.  Defininetly better, but definitely not 100%.  My "lovely"  DH yesterday, I sat down for a quick break while making dinner, he is loafing on the couch.  He says "You look totally worn out."  I said "yeah, I am."  He says "This illness has just really wiped you *out* this time."  *sigh*  Well yes honey, I am exhausted in part from being sick, but perhaps the fact that I also spent the day cooking 3 meals for a total of 5 people, plus put the rest of the groceries away, plus prepped a bunch of food for the week and for your work lunches specifically, plus managed the kids getting their chores done, plus did some planning for the week, plus ran the dishwasher like 4 different times....all while you sat on your butt loafing around....that all probably has something to do with it too.  And the house still looks like something exploded in it, cause that's what happens when mom gets sick,

And now, DD9 is sick.  She seems to have substantially more energy than I do, but then she isn't dealing with a dry socket on top of being sick.  She does however sound like her throat hurts quite a bit.  Her voice is all crackly, she's sneezing like every two minutes, and is obviously sick.

DD11 doesn't seem to be sick, and I am pretty sure DS7 gave it to us originally.

School today will be Daily Math, Daily Grammar, MIF, Spelling, Reading, Writing, and I am not sure what else.  Maybe we will do some computer stuff.  The girls had scouts Saturday and the leader commented that they were doing some research on Germany for a council event, and my girls didn't have a clue how to google something.  So, maybe we will start a "report" on Germany.  Learn how to google, put together a little paper, etc.  

Tomorrow, we have home school art for DD9 and DS7 at 11:30.  So, seatwork will be limited and then we will go to the library after art.  So at some point today we will need to gather up all our library books so we are ready to go tomorrow.

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 3

Morning. I vote you take a day off and rest. 

We are back at school this week. I thought I'd regret the extra week off, but really, I don't. I set the first two math lessons at half pace, but everything else is regular. So far, no whining. Having hot chocolate and coffee available probably helped with that. 

For me: 

House: chores, bedroom, bathroom

School: ordering curriculum this evening, boys have school and their bedrooms and bathroom to clean

Cooking: chicken and dumplings, cauliflower, biscuits and honey for dessert

Writing: character work, personal reading, writing exercise, start a new short story

Art: Start painting a new piece. Got some of my new paint in and it's crying out to be used.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. I vote you take a day off and rest. 

I can't.  I can't guarantee that everything I want to get done will actually get done, but I am way behind where I want to be.  There's so much to do, both school and not school.  Kids are eating lunch now, then we will finish up what we can.  I have a list out for them, most of it they can do on their own, and at the end of the list is time on their tablets, which are brand new and they really want so it's a good carrot to dangle.  

• Like 3

Critterfixer, you are inspiring me today ... elder DS ought to walk the dog, hot chocolate to ease the post-holiday-school is brilliant, and lemon trees sound wonderful.  They are a bit of a dream for me at the moment: the more attainable goal is finding a place in the ground to put our potted fig.  Or maybe find a bigger pot for the poor thing, it is literally busting out of its redwood planter. 

Jean, hoping for a beautiful snow that still allows a safe & easy drive to Starbucks: is such a thing possible?  and wishing rest and joy for you, happysmileylady.  My 9yo can't Google either.  Partly 'cause he can't type worth a peanut.  We have no scouts so the Googling isn't a problem but we are In Process with the keyboarding. 

Today: half-pace school, + figure out how to fit in -- sometime this week -- the art + Bible we didn't do yesterday.  Exercise for both boys & for me; house cleaning; yardwork; piano practice; ideally 30 -60" of planning time for me; dinner (homemade pizza, leaving a prepared one for DH to stick in the oven when he gets home); prepare for role-playing game tonight. 

• Like 2

School got called in account of a trace amount of snow. Not because we can’t get to Starbucks but because dd does afterschool care at the Y and if the school districts close then it becomes all day care. 

• Like 2

So, I am feeling a "they will learn it eventually" moment.

I mentioned the scout leader talking about how the kids didn't know what she was talking about when she mentioned googling stuff.  

Yeah, we have been mostly low tech in terms of how we approach education and our kids lives.  Generally, they have received gifts like bikes and skates for Christmas, rather than tablets and gaming systems.  BUT, that doesn't mean that we are anti tech, and yes, they totally received tablets and gaming systems this year.

So I mentioned doing some computer stuff for school.  Well, an opportunity presented itself in terms of researching Niagara Falls.  We "googled" and DD11 hunted and pecked and we looked at pics and talked about what was where, google maps, etc.

But, when DD11 started poking at the screen, trying to "click" with her fingers on the monitor of my laptop instead of using the mouse............I had a "they will figure it out" moment.  Sure, they had an issue with the idea of "googling."    But when we did.............they didn't even know how to use the mouse lol.  Because tech is already moving past that into the touch screen.  

It kind of reminded me of a scene in Star Trek IV.  Scotty sits down at a computer, picks up the mouse and says "computer.    Hello Computer"   lol  

• Like 2

Morning! I didn't order my stuff last night on account of the game running late and I went to bed. But tonight.

Today's work:

Chores: the usual, no additional housekeeping

School: boys are already working. We are on half-pace for math, but everything got done well yesterday, so I anticipate no issues today.

Cooking: leftovers, or baked potatoes

Writing: character work, personal reading, work on a short story, maybe do an emotion module exercise or prep for it. I've got an interesting scene to use for this particular exercise. It's fun to work with a character who can't express any bodily sensations whatsoever in relation to emotions because he's a ghost! 

Art: painting. I got the rest of my supplies and the copy of the art book I was using for some exercises on particular watercolor techniques. I'm all set to tackle backlit silk and apples! 

• Like 2

Morning!  So, ds got his work done yesterday, with no fuss and only one mistake!  I let DD off the hook due to her going to her bff's house all day.  

Today, they will both stay home with ds33 and do a lot of math, first day using Aleks, and a few other assignments I left for them.

I was lazy all morning, and only started laundry.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 3

Morning! 

Today is half-pace school, with art this morning: so the list (copied & edited from yesterday) is: half-pace math/lit/languages +  art.  Exercise for both boys & for me; house cleaning; yardwork; piano practice; ideally 30 -60" of planning time for me; dinner (quick souffle, maybe some bread, salad); spend some time going over younger's role-playing-game; spend some time on e-mails. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Afternoon!

Feeling much much better today.  Still recovering and healing, but much better.  Finally.

Today, we did some school in the morning.  I also needed to get the kids all showered because...............they were stinky lol.  So, we got up on time, but I was juggling starting school, rotating through showers, getting breakfast, etc etc.

At 11, we left for Homeschool Art at the rec center.  Today was for DD9 and DS7.  DD11 goes on Thursday.  Anyway, kids had a great time, and after Art, we hit the library.  DD9 had some specific books she wanted, which I was thrilled about.  DD11 didn't have specifics but the library has started a trivia contest where tweens can read a specific set of books from a list, then attend the quiz part, where they ask trivia questions about the content of the books.  Winner at the branch gets a $25 Amazon card, plus goes on to the city wide for a chance at another $50 Amazon card.  DD11 thought that was super cool, so she checked out those books.  

Then, we got home, and both DD9 and DD11, started reading....of their own choice....and spent TWO HOURS reading their library books.

I am going to call this a successful day, in terms of schooling.

In terms of household management.....I got dinner in the crockpot on time so that is good.  But I didn't get lunch together before HS Art, so we ended up getting McDs.  Which we really didn't have the money for in the grocery budget. *sigh*  I will do better on Thursday.  It's our first outsourced class in the middle of the day, so that's my excuse.

Also, I still haven't done much cleaning.  I need to put together a plan for the rest of the week to get stuff back in shape.  

• Like 3

Monday regular school done.

Tuesday Dad did school with her. So lots of science, art and play plus storytime at library. At night he's been reading "Charlotte's Web".

Wednesday will be regular school plus science and art with Dad.

Dad has been working a lot lately so she is excited to have Dad at home now. So it's all about Daddy.

• Like 3

Morning. It's gray, warm, and very misty. I need to get some shots of it for painting before it all burns off. 

Today's work:

House: laundry, dishes, cat litter, kitchen

School: Boys are already started, and yes, I still have the book order to do. And plant order. Just didn't get around to it last night. If it isn't raining, we'll take the boats to the lake after school.

Cooking: Prep a pork shoulder for cooking tomorrow afternoon.

Writing: Character work, emotions exercise for my homework, personal reading and notes on a book I have to write a synopsis for, revise two scenes in my latest WIP for a little contest thing, and tweak query for the same.

Art: Keep working on current project, start first layers on a practice piece on translucence.

• Like 2

Morning! 

Yesterday got a bit siderailed; younger DS is running a roleplaying game on Mondays, and we needed to retrench a bit to support that (I'd been letting him do it entirely independently, and he is doing very well, but he picked a complicated adventure to run and we are encountering the limits of 9-year-old cognition). 

Today: 1/2 pace school (a chunk of it, at least), focus on housework (do routines, spend some extra time in kitchen, have boys work in rooms + get laundry away), exercise for everybody (younger, elder, me), dinner (thinking pasta, something fast), read over younger's current RPG chapter.  Ideally, have some grace.  😉 

ETA: there is more planning to do for our current terms, but I'm moving it to Saturday.  Saturday will, good Lord willing, be [yet another] Planning Bonanza. 

• Like 2

I don't know how I did it, but I got nearly all of yesterday's stuff done, despite having to reset my mind to handle a completely different WIP than I'd planned to handle in February. 

Today's goals:

House-laundry, dishes, cat boxes.

School-art, math, boys already about done

Cooking: none, eat out

Writing: Chapter 1-3 read, edit, revise in the new MS, evaluate Beta feedback for the same prior to that work for any common problems, personal reading, character work, critique on pages and query letter for another writer

Art: Finish one piece, make progress on the exercise piece

• Like 2

Yesterday most things got done well enough, but I didn't do the role-playing game (RPG) background reading.  So, though I've been trying to use piano lesson time for teaching (I can sit outside one child's lesson with the other) I think today I'll do my best to use much of that time to work on the RPG stuff. 

I also didn't get much housework done yesterday: another area to focus on. 

Half-pace again today; exercise all around (younger, elder, me); dinner (prob. gnocchi + some protein, salad); boys work in rooms & do chores & laundry; get tomorrow's grocery list together -- this means drafting next week's meals, I suppose, eeek! ; RPG reading & to-do list; housecleaning routines + some yardwork, weather permitting. 

ETA: may have to drop my RPG reading goal, or do it right before bed -- elder DS crumpled after his lesson, during little brother's lesson (when I'd planned to RPG) and managing that cost me my reading energy/time.  And I'm adding a goal of spending 5 - 15" jotting a few notes about how our school week went, what to improve for next week. 

• Like 1

Morning! 

Today is working on yesterday's list -- got totally derailed by inevitable life stuff -- and prepare for next week. 

RE preparing for next week:

• sketch a weekly schedule, allow time to prepare well for the role-playing game younger is running Monday
  • draft plan to prepare for game
  • draft meal plan -- breakfast alternatives; lunches; dinners; make sure elder DS has his muffins made/plan time to make them
  • figure out memory work
  • have an idea of how to figure out what to do next in math for elder, have a couple of possibilities open
  • Like 1