Menu

Accountability Thread 1/12-1/18

Back at it this week. The turtle-children are already snapping. They'll survive. Probably.

Today's goals:

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, a longish dog walk in the afternoon.

School: Schedules, curriculum list (organize some project things that I need to do this winter and spring)

Cooking: chicken fried steaks, potatoes, gravy, broccoli, and lemon pound cake

Writing: Character work, finish polishing a short story I'd like to start sending out in February, personal reading, blog post editing, reading in preparation for line editing, writing exercise on two of my stories.

Extra: order lemon trees and dragonfruit plants for spring delivery. One of those project things.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Morning. I vote you take a day off and rest. 

We are back at school this week. I thought I'd regret the extra week off, but really, I don't. I set the first two math lessons at half pace, but everything else is regular. So far, no whining. Having hot chocolate and coffee available probably helped with that. 

For me: 

House: chores, bedroom, bathroom

School: ordering curriculum this evening, boys have school and their bedrooms and bathroom to clean

Cooking: chicken and dumplings, cauliflower, biscuits and honey for dessert

Writing: character work, personal reading, writing exercise, start a new short story

Art: Start painting a new piece. Got some of my new paint in and it's crying out to be used.

• Like 2

Critterfixer, you are inspiring me today ... elder DS ought to walk the dog, hot chocolate to ease the post-holiday-school is brilliant, and lemon trees sound wonderful.  They are a bit of a dream for me at the moment: the more attainable goal is finding a place in the ground to put our potted fig.  Or maybe find a bigger pot for the poor thing, it is literally busting out of its redwood planter. 

Jean, hoping for a beautiful snow that still allows a safe & easy drive to Starbucks: is such a thing possible?  and wishing rest and joy for you, happysmileylady.  My 9yo can't Google either.  Partly 'cause he can't type worth a peanut.  We have no scouts so the Googling isn't a problem but we are In Process with the keyboarding. 

Today: half-pace school, + figure out how to fit in -- sometime this week -- the art + Bible we didn't do yesterday.  Exercise for both boys & for me; house cleaning; yardwork; piano practice; ideally 30 -60" of planning time for me; dinner (homemade pizza, leaving a prepared one for DH to stick in the oven when he gets home); prepare for role-playing game tonight. 

• Like 2

Morning! I didn't order my stuff last night on account of the game running late and I went to bed. But tonight.

Today's work:

Chores: the usual, no additional housekeeping

School: boys are already working. We are on half-pace for math, but everything got done well yesterday, so I anticipate no issues today.

Cooking: leftovers, or baked potatoes

Writing: character work, personal reading, work on a short story, maybe do an emotion module exercise or prep for it. I've got an interesting scene to use for this particular exercise. It's fun to work with a character who can't express any bodily sensations whatsoever in relation to emotions because he's a ghost! 

Art: painting. I got the rest of my supplies and the copy of the art book I was using for some exercises on particular watercolor techniques. I'm all set to tackle backlit silk and apples! 

• Like 2

Morning! 

Today is half-pace school, with art this morning: so the list (copied & edited from yesterday) is: half-pace math/lit/languages +  art.  Exercise for both boys & for me; house cleaning; yardwork; piano practice; ideally 30 -60" of planning time for me; dinner (quick souffle, maybe some bread, salad); spend some time going over younger's role-playing-game; spend some time on e-mails. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Monday regular school done.

Tuesday Dad did school with her. So lots of science, art and play plus storytime at library. At night he's been reading "Charlotte's Web".

Wednesday will be regular school plus science and art with Dad.

Dad has been working a lot lately so she is excited to have Dad at home now. So it's all about Daddy.

• Like 3

Morning. It's gray, warm, and very misty. I need to get some shots of it for painting before it all burns off. 

Today's work:

House: laundry, dishes, cat litter, kitchen

School: Boys are already started, and yes, I still have the book order to do. And plant order. Just didn't get around to it last night. If it isn't raining, we'll take the boats to the lake after school.

Cooking: Prep a pork shoulder for cooking tomorrow afternoon.

Writing: Character work, emotions exercise for my homework, personal reading and notes on a book I have to write a synopsis for, revise two scenes in my latest WIP for a little contest thing, and tweak query for the same.

Art: Keep working on current project, start first layers on a practice piece on translucence.

• Like 2

Morning! 

Yesterday got a bit siderailed; younger DS is running a roleplaying game on Mondays, and we needed to retrench a bit to support that (I'd been letting him do it entirely independently, and he is doing very well, but he picked a complicated adventure to run and we are encountering the limits of 9-year-old cognition). 

Today: 1/2 pace school (a chunk of it, at least), focus on housework (do routines, spend some extra time in kitchen, have boys work in rooms + get laundry away), exercise for everybody (younger, elder, me), dinner (thinking pasta, something fast), read over younger's current RPG chapter.  Ideally, have some grace.  😉 

ETA: there is more planning to do for our current terms, but I'm moving it to Saturday.  Saturday will, good Lord willing, be [yet another] Planning Bonanza. 

• Like 2

I don't know how I did it, but I got nearly all of yesterday's stuff done, despite having to reset my mind to handle a completely different WIP than I'd planned to handle in February. 

Today's goals:

House-laundry, dishes, cat boxes.

School-art, math, boys already about done

Cooking: none, eat out

Writing: Chapter 1-3 read, edit, revise in the new MS, evaluate Beta feedback for the same prior to that work for any common problems, personal reading, character work, critique on pages and query letter for another writer

Art: Finish one piece, make progress on the exercise piece

• Like 2

Yesterday most things got done well enough, but I didn't do the role-playing game (RPG) background reading.  So, though I've been trying to use piano lesson time for teaching (I can sit outside one child's lesson with the other) I think today I'll do my best to use much of that time to work on the RPG stuff. 

I also didn't get much housework done yesterday: another area to focus on. 

Half-pace again today; exercise all around (younger, elder, me); dinner (prob. gnocchi + some protein, salad); boys work in rooms & do chores & laundry; get tomorrow's grocery list together -- this means drafting next week's meals, I suppose, eeek! ; RPG reading & to-do list; housecleaning routines + some yardwork, weather permitting. 

ETA: may have to drop my RPG reading goal, or do it right before bed -- elder DS crumpled after his lesson, during little brother's lesson (when I'd planned to RPG) and managing that cost me my reading energy/time.  And I'm adding a goal of spending 5 - 15" jotting a few notes about how our school week went, what to improve for next week. 

• Like 1

Morning! 

Today is working on yesterday's list -- got totally derailed by inevitable life stuff -- and prepare for next week. 

RE preparing for next week:

• sketch a weekly schedule, allow time to prepare well for the role-playing game younger is running Monday
  • draft plan to prepare for game
  • draft meal plan -- breakfast alternatives; lunches; dinners; make sure elder DS has his muffins made/plan time to make them
  • figure out memory work
  • have an idea of how to figure out what to do next in math for elder, have a couple of possibilities open
  • Like 1