Menu

What's with the ads?

seemesew

all about reading first edition question

Has anyone used the first edition of all about reading level 1? I have an opportunity to get it and am wondering if it is good?

I own it, and have taught 3 kids to read with it.  

It worked really well for us.  My first kid balked at the length of the fluency sheets, but that may have had more to do with him than the program 🙂   I felt like it prepared all of them incredibly well.  We've continued on with AAS (including my current 5th grader), and the continuity has been lovely.  

If you are clutter-averse and/or plan to continue on with later levels, I really recommend purchasing the letter tile app.  I didn't want to spend the money at first,  but I was going crazy trying to keep track of all of those little tiles.  The ability to use the tiles on our iPad was a total game changer!  Two years and zero lost tiles later, I still often congratulate myself on the money well spent😁

• Like 1

I used it with my first child and it worked wonderfully. He also hated the fluency sheets so we would play different games with them to break it up. 

• Like 1

Thats good to hear! I can't seem to find if differences between the first edition and others are big enough to want to new one. They have added a lot for sure and the newest one is color but I just wonder if the older one would be good and worth the less cost, lol! I probably wouldn't know the difference since I've never used either I suppose.

I used the first with all my kids and loved it.  I wouldn't spend the extra for the new version just for color, but I don't think they still sell the activity book for previous editions.  They grant you the right to photocopy for your family, which is what I did.  If you are getting a used version make sure the activity book is included.  I'm not sure how well the new activity book would work with the first edition manual.  It kind of irritates me that they don't support it anymore.

• Like 1

If you get the first edition, just make sure it's complete--it's the only edition where mixing and matching won't work well (there are correlation guides for mixing other editions.) The color edition has 150 more pages in the Teacher's Manual with more activity suggestions and more teaching tips, plus it adds in comprehension exercises. The Activity Book also has another 150 pages--30 new activities plus 52 warm-up pages. The readers have over 200 additional pages combined (17 new stories).  HTH some! 

• Thanks 1