Menu

Two kids my ds tutored just got onto the squad of 12 for NZ!

lewelma

My ds ran a by-invitation math olympiad course for our city in the year before he went to university.  And as the title says, he just got an email from one of his tutorees that 2 of them made the squad of 12 this week, with 6 to be picked for the IMO team to represent NZ.  He is so chuffed!!  These kids now take the BMO2, AMO, and APMO as team selection tests.  Both of the kids are going into 11th grade this February, so have 2 tries to make the team.  Super cool. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! One of these kids he tutored privately for 2 years and then the kid also attended his class.  DS wrote one of his university essays about how because there was no community in math for him in our town, that he made it himself.  That this class he taught was focused on camaraderie and cooperation rather than competition.  And then to have 1/6th of the kids in the country be *his* kids was just a real boost to his psyche.

He is helping a kid from this board with AoPS calc. He really enjoys judging a kid's level and then giving a hint that does not give the problem away. Super cool.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, square_25 said:

Awesome!! 

On an unrelated note, we had to take the APMO to get on the Canadian team, and I hate that contest :P. 

I think NZ is unusual as the Olympiad Committee has agreements with Australia and the UK to take their exams and be ranked on their lists.  So the squad takes the BMO1, BMO2, AMO, and APMO before the IMO.  This means that my ds actually took 20 national math olymipads in his day over the period of 5 years. That is a lot of olympiads!  And he agrees, the APMO is the worst. 

• Like 1