Menu

Instant pot recipe books or websites what are your favorites?

Ottakee

I use my instant pot several times a week but rarely for a whole meal.  I made a wonder ranch chicken and potatoes meal the other day and would love to do more one point, flip it on and forget it (none of this open it up, add more stuff, start again type meals) supers.

I would love ideas of cookbooks or websites.  My few attempts at Google lead me either to Pinterest or other ones that are 90% ads and pop ups and I get frustrated before I can even find the real recipe.

We are simple, comfort food people.  Mostly beef, chicken breasts.  Willing to try ethnic flavors as long as they aren't too spicy.

Great Food Fast by Bob Warden is a good one for recipes that aren’t too fussy. The pot roast recipe in this book is my favorite. 

My all-time favorite dump-and-go instant pot meal is the Creamy “Baked” Ziti from Mels Kitchen Cafe. I keep the ingredients for this on hand and it is my emergency, don’t feel like cooking meal. You can make it with or without meat. If you use meat it does add a little more work because you have to sauté it and then scrape/deglaze the pot well in order to keep from getting an error message when you start pressure cooking. Mel also has other IP recipes on her site that look pretty easy and tasty. 

• Like 1

I tried many recipes from Ashley Thomas's blog - https://myheartbeets.com/ham-lentil-soup/

My dd made this for all her cousins https://myheartbeets.com/baked-spaghetti-casserole/.

Look at the category list on the left side.

I have been a long time follower of Barbara bakes and she has has another website for pressure cooking

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/recipe-index/

Edited by mominco
Thought of more links

On 1/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

I have the Great Food Fast mentioned above. I think you would like at least 6-8 recipes in there. I don’t make the desserts or many of the sides, but I use a few of his soup and a few of his main dish recipes fairly often.

I found this book at the library today.  I would eat almost all of the recipes in there. I like it so much  I was going to buy the book from Amazon but then checked eBay and there was one for $3.66 with free shipping .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I found this book at the library today.  I would eat almost all of the recipes in there. I like it so much  I was going to buy the book from Amazon but then checked eBay and there was one for $3.66 with free shipping .

Do you mind if I share some recipe tweaks?

p.19– I use 2 1 lb bags of frozen broccoli florets in place of fresh broccoli when I am out and I add 2 c. of shredded carrot. I usually don’t add the cheese, but never skip the cream. 

P. 31– This needed serious tweaking for our palates. I substituted green chili for jalapeño to bring down the heat, I used 2 t. of cumin instead of the 1/4 t. recommended, and I used black beans in place of the carrot. 

P. 47–the meat mixture needed spices (I used cumin, a bit of chili spice, and a few things). I also added black beans to balance it a bit. We definitely wanted sour cream, and it was improved with some fresh cilantro. Excellent pantry meal, but a bit bland without help.

p. 57–I double the black beans and cheese. I use a Colby jack instead of cheddar. The dude is obsessed with cheddar but gives no thought to how the flavors work together. 😂

p. 81—still haven’t tweaked this to perfection, but it lacks depth. Adding Panko crumbs for a bit of crunch and some fresh green onion  on top helped

p.171–Costco’s frozen meatballs work well here

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Thanks for the recipe tweaks.

I also found yummy sounding recipe online for chicken and pasta....until I read it has 1028 calories per serving....ouch.  no wonder it sounded wonderful.

Yeah, that’s why I gave the Kalyn’s kitchen link. Her meals tend to work out to 400-500 calories each/portion size. More reasonable. 

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah, that’s why I gave the Kalyn’s kitchen link. Her meals tend to work out to 400-500 calories each/portion size. More reasonable. 

I just visited there and found a yummy sounding greek taco recipe.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:13 AM, meena said:

Great Food Fast by Bob Warden is a good one for recipes that aren’t too fussy. The pot roast recipe in this book is my favorite. 

My all-time favorite dump-and-go instant pot meal is the Creamy “Baked” Ziti from Mels Kitchen Cafe. I keep the ingredients for this on hand and it is my emergency, don’t feel like cooking meal. You can make it with or without meat. If you use meat it does add a little more work because you have to sauté it and then scrape/deglaze the pot well in order to keep from getting an error message when you start pressure cooking. Mel also has other IP recipes on her site that look pretty easy and tasty. 

I made this baked ziti the other night and everyone loved it. I doubled the recipe for my 8qt IP because I was feeding 10 people. I cooked 2 lbs of sausage on the stove and added it at the very end. We still have leftovers, but it was worth it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Don't forget to soak the lentils!

Knowing / doing things like lentil pre soak can be a major key to being able to have IP handle foods with different cooking times simultaneously.  

Similarly, cutting up foods so that “slow” cooking foods are in tiny chunks, while fast ones are in big chunks can even cooking times, for example for a stew, by cutting meat very small compared to vegetables.   Deliberately pre freezing fast cook items can also help even out cooking time.  

Or using pot in pot methods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1