Menu

How accurate is the ACT practice test provided by ACT?

I gave the ACT test that can be downloaded from the website to my dd today.  She took it cold.  Actually, I ambushed her with it.  And we simulated test day conditions.  Anyone know if that particular test is an accurate representation?  

Edited by skimomma

Pretty decent. I have fo and there to be a +/- 2 difference in section scores between practice tests assuming kid is not sick or tired. Real test conditions can cause variations, too, but I would say you basically know how she'll do.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  Dd did significantly better than I expected on the practice test and I was hesitant to even share the results with her if they were known to be wildly inaccurate.  The "test conditions" were less than ideal as this happened while I was working and we had several disruptive drills happen during the test.

If she did better than you expected, it's probably a fairly true result.  Be sure that she goes through the explanations for all of the problems, though, including those she got right.  It's important to do that after practice tests to solidify understanding of problems in which she may simply have guessed well.  

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 7:48 AM, skimomma said:

Thanks all.  Dd did significantly better than I expected on the practice test and I was hesitant to even share the results with her if they were known to be wildly inaccurate.  The "test conditions" were less than ideal as this happened while I was working and we had several disruptive drills happen during the test.

Dd did better on the actual test because her test conditions at home were also often less than ideal - anything from her brothers being loud somewhere in the house to her much younger sister trying to climb into her lap as she was taking it. The official testing space was nice and calm for her. 😂

• Like 2