Menu

I have a job interview tomorrow.

The job would begin July 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year. The position is teacher assistant, but it sounds more like a teacher role than assistant. I had to email them a 50 min. lesson plan (I had to pick a topic and objective geared toward grade of choice from K-2nd). I will present 5-10 min. during the interview. They messaged me the other day to say I’m joining them for lunch. The interview is 9-12 and includes a tour of the school. 

I had the phone interview a couple weeks ago. The person on the phone called from out of state so I do not know if she will be present. This is a public charter school and according to Glassdoor a decent salary so I guess that offsets the demands? Hours wre 7:10-4:00 pm. 

———-

For those curious, continue reading. 
I started seeing an individual therapist. We have met just once, but are scheduled for more visits. 

Dd is signed up for public PreK at the most disorganized school district known to man. They have not followed up on her evaluation for speech after our initial meeting a few months ago. The only thing that stopped me from following up is the fact that she will be evaluated as a PreK student, anyway. They do not know when her class will begin as they just hired the second PreK teacher. She needs to set up her classroom. Parents should receive a call “soon” to tell us modified school supply list, school start date, and whatever else. I already touched base this week. Monday the rest of the students returned. 

I’ve been working on decluttering. Here is my blog about it. Yes, I’m aware people may judge me. But I do enough of that myself so know that I’m aware I have a lot to change. For my sake, for my family’s sake. I will get there. 

https://mobot7.wixsite.com/gothvscobwebs

• Like 19
1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I'm so glad you have an interview, and I hope that it goes very well!!!

Did you enroll your son in school for this semester, too?

That was the plan, but since dd is going to PreK soon, Dh and Ds talked me into trying homeschool again. I did not guarantee we’d do the full semester, but I said we’d try. Without dd home, it will be much more attainable. So I hope. 

———
Somebody else is throwing the homeschool Valentine’s Day party and I’m trying not to be too involved in anything right now so I can focus on other things. Dh returned to work this week. He offered to take the day off for my interview, but I figured he’d somewhat resent that since he hated missing the day his car was in the shop and we were traveling. I set up the sitter and if I can’t get back in time Dh will leave work early to pick her up. I should be able to do it, but I have to run a few errands like pick up the rest of dd’s school uniforms I ordered and possibly look at the nap mats at the teacher supply store. 

• Like 3

Good luck!

I don't think your house looks all that bad, (for whatever that is worth).  You have a lot of stuff, yes, but it looks like a nice home.  If I lived closer, I'd offer to come over and help you organize things! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well that was interesting. I’m actually laughing at the comical parts of today. 

A group of us showed up for interviews. First I went to the wrong door. I was told to go to the other door which required driving around the building. Ok, no biggie. I was on time. I was the second to walk in and overheard the first asking about where to go. They (women at front desk) tried to send her where I had just come from. I was not having this nonsense lol. They didn’t even use the lady’s name right. It ends with an “a” and she lives out of state, but her name was given as the contact. I calmly said my email has this address and the elementary (other side is middle school). They said to sit down and they’d check. Never heard any more; just watched as more confused people approached. There’s a sign saying to ring the bell to get in the door. I got to watch as people failed to read the sign and then didn’t hit the button hard enough. I mimed to one “push harder” lol 

I basically got a bunch of separate interviews and 45 min to kill walking around the building randomly interrupting classes because I was instructed to observe. There was no actual tour. Before I did this, I asked if I would be expected. The person in charge misunderstood my question. I meant were the teachers aware we’d be popping in. They answered that the students were used to people popping in and out. Welp, no, the teachers had no idea. I quickly explained what I was doing and paved the way for the following people I guess since I was the first on observation duty. 

I felt like I bombed one interview... the questions didn’t match my life experiences... were hard to muddle through. 
“Name a previous supervisor” 

me: name from references 

“how would they say you showed growth?” 

Ugh. 
When I couldn’t answer another person had come in the room and said, “how do you think you showed growth at that job?” Like they would not let this question go... would have been better to rephrase to the root of what they wanted to know. Like are they just looking at how I improve? Because I did not grow selling textbooks imo. 

Then someone down the hall complained my session went over (the clock in room was broken and I wasn’t looking at a cell phone or watch). So I went over 5 min but it’s just as much their fault (people questioning me) as mine lol sorta 

I did well in the teaching session and role playing session. 

We went over becoming a certified teacher. Most interviewing were there to be teachers, not assistants. But they do like the same job. Teacher assistants pull as much weight there. There were 2-3 adults in every room. Actually 4 in one. They had a “student support” person and “para”... forgot the full word. No one I met identified as “teacher assistant” by title. 

After telling us the math usually trips people up on the Praxis Core they asked us to do 10 questions from a praxis diagnostic. Not to grade us or rule us out, but to evaluate what kind of support we’d need. Well what do you know. I was lucky I brought a pencil. They handed out pens. I finished last but I think I did mostly well. I’m a slow test taker so that’s my biggest fear with tests. 

I gave out my resumé copies. One guy wanted to hold onto my copy of my lesson plan so I let him (principal at another campus). He felt I was prepared and agreed with my own criticism of my delivery (I showed my book with phonics second instead of first). 

As I was leaving I asked when we should expect to hear something. They said by end of next week. I shared that info with 2 others I chatted with in the parking lot. They were happy I asked. 

I was told a part time job this semester may be available and they asked if that interested me. I said yes, I’d see if that was possible. Reality is I doubt I could justify it unless I got the FT job because I’d need an excuse to move. The PT is a reading helper 2 hours each morning... the commute now is 45 min each way. 

It’s right next to a Catholic Church lol! That could make holy days easy. 

• Like 7

I hope you get an offer!!

I know it's hard to make decisions, but I think that if they offer you the PT job for this spring, that you should consider accepting it. It would add valuable experience to your resume. It would give you a bit of income. It would be a foot in the door -- many places like to hire from within their current staff. The commute would not be ideal, but if you consider it a stepping stone on the way to something better (either FT at this school or a job elsewhere), I think it would be worth it. A PT job may not pay much, but it would be more than having no job, and it could give a real boost to your self-esteem.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I hope you get an offer!!

I know it's hard to make decisions, but I think that if they offer you the PT job for this spring, that you should consider accepting it. It would add valuable experience to your resume. It would give you a bit of income. It would be a foot in the door -- many places like to hire from within their current staff. The commute would not be ideal, but if you consider it a stepping stone on the way to something better (either FT at this school or a job elsewhere), I think it would be worth it. A PT job may not pay much, but it would be more than having no job, and it could give a real boost to your self-esteem.

Oh I’d love to but I would worry about the wear and tear on the car along with the gas money. I agree about foot in door etc. I will just have to see what they say. 

You do have to come up with teacher stuff they said but the lessons are basically premade. I’m not sure if I’m repeating that correctly... but considering I made mine from scratch (based on state standards I looked up) I’d say it might be no worse than what I had to do for the interview. I was very comfortable with the material I chose. Of course I chose a lesson covering diphthongs including oi (lol see my sig). I incorporated the Jolly Phonics hand motions and cited the source. He liked the kinesthetic element. 

• Like 3

For future interviews (should you have a second interview for this job, or get the PT job and eventually interview for a FT one, etc.), you might consider looking through typical interview questions and preparing some answers.  When they ask how you showed growth, what they mean is to tell them what you learned, or how you improved during the course of the job.  It can be something very minor, or nonspecific to the job.  It can be something like, I learned how to use this software program, or I became better at interacting with difficult customers, or I got used to holding the line with company policy even when it made me uncomfortable, or I got used to having a schedule and showing up on time, or I learned how to make a certain work process more efficient, or anything like that.

But there are a sort of set of commonish interview questions that are pretty open ended and it might help to look through a few dozen of them and prepare a basic answer in your mind so you're not taken off-guard.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, moonflower said:

For future interviews (should you have a second interview for this job, or get the PT job and eventually interview for a FT one, etc.), you might consider looking through typical interview questions and preparing some answers.  When they ask how you showed growth, what they mean is to tell them what you learned, or how you improved during the course of the job.  It can be something very minor, or nonspecific to the job.  It can be something like, I learned how to use this software program, or I became better at interacting with difficult customers, or I got used to holding the line with company policy even when it made me uncomfortable, or I got used to having a schedule and showing up on time, or I learned how to make a certain work process more efficient, or anything like that.

But there are a sort of set of commonish interview questions that are pretty open ended and it might help to look through a few dozen of them and prepare a basic answer in your mind so you're not taken off-guard.

I have done that before and I like your samples. My issue was I’d have to lie because I couldn’t think of a way I grew lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi! Butting in here. I visited your blog and wanted to congratulate you on your progress. I, like Miss Lemon, would come help if I lived closer. I think, though, it is more satisfying to tackle it yourself as a way of internally organizing/cleaning up. Make sense? Anyway, good luck with everything.

• Thanks 1

I sent a thank you note today. In this case digital was the most practical so I used email. I expressed interest in both the PT & FT positions. 

Dh got the other librarian to agree to take Sunday night shifts (in exchange for Fridays off) so he no longer will work 6 days a week and actually have more of a weekend. He’s been working Sun. nights for years. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 8

Dh said don’t take PT unless I’m offered both... because the PT would be more so to get the feel for the facility/how they run things. 

We went back & forth on that. I ultimately agreed with him, though. That’s a lot of wear & tear on the car(s) without enough pay to move closer. I’d be in the car almost as long as I’m the building (45 min. each way. Job is 2 hrs/day). One candidate (not direct competition) said he currently subs there and volunteered how much he gets a day. I did the math and that comes out to roughly $13/hr. The part time job probably pays ballpark the same. Minus taxes and gas (estimating $9 round trip), my take home pay would be very little. This is exactly why I get so discouraged job hunting. I started to argue I should take anything to build my resumé but the cars really don’t need that wear & tear and I don’t need to spend such a long time in the car to work so little.

I don’t know if subbing would be any more practical but you’d be there all day. My local school district pays $10/hr to the average sub.even though they boast they are the highest paying school district in the state. How can they say that? Maybe because they pay retired teachers $15/hr to sub. 

Hopefully they wouldn’t offer me just PT. I know I overthink everything. Just sharing how every time I try to move forward it feels like there’s a catch. 

• Like 1

When I was a public school teacher, our principal always said "take any job".  He had multiple instances where someone turned down a job because it wasn't ft or whatever, he hired a second person, a bigger job came up and the second person got the job because they were already there.

• Like 10

All of your reasons for not wanting to consider taking just the part time job are valid and I wouldn't consider that you are overthinking it. You are evaluating potential options.

When dh was looking for a job before Christmas he applied to everything he qualified for basically. And because he had been cut to part time at his current job we just assumed he'd take any offer that came around. Well he was a step away from an offer for a full-time job at the local University. There were many pros; step in the door, free tuition for the kids, dh, and me, great health insurance, great retirement contributions, dh could bike to work, and some more. Up until the offer was about to come in we were banking on any position at this University merely because of the free tuition for the kids. But when we did the math, the pay cut was so much that we couldn't possibly do it for much more than a few months without me getting a job as well, at least part time. Well with a baby coming soon that seemed unrealistic and very unappealing. So we had to pass on a great step in the door position because it just didn't make sense under our current circumstances. If that position was offered a year from today we'd jump on it in a heartbeat most likely. 

So, consider all your options even before you hear anything from them. That way you don't get caught up in the rush and excitement if an offer does come.

• Like 2

Yeah, normally I agree with take anything but the take home pay would probably be more if I had just transferred to Best Buy (I worked at 2 prior to moving here) in the city. I never bothered for a number of reasons, but mostly driving 45 min to make very little money. A few months ago I applied at the dollar store down my street and because I would use little to no gas, the take home pay would probably be better than some of my options. But they either were simply “accepting applications” and not hiring, or, they passed over me. 

I think mentally I’ve decided if this doesn’t pan out and dd starts PreK I can consider VIPKID a few hours a week. 

Dh and I do not have the same kill the debt mentality. I’m going to stop putting money in our joint account from ibotta and cash it out directly into Walmart gift cards etc to spend on groceries and whatnot. I fear seeing money will make him subconsciously think we can spend more. 

• Like 2

To clarify, in my case I’d have to obtain a second bachelor’s degree to teach lower elementary. The next closest thing I’ve seen is a program to get certified for grades 4-6. Everything else is for higher grades. 

Looking into this because they want their assistant teachers to become teachers. Just like researching my career options. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Are you sure you'd need a second bachelor's and not a master's?  Most places a master's in curriculum and instruction is a one year program and you don't need your degree to be in anything in particular.

Yes. I even called the MS dept of Education and my old university. Master’s will work for grades 7-12. I’m not really interested in those grades. 

I need 61 hours if I return to my old school. Possibly more, if I need to add any core classes. They are reviewing my transcripts and will get back to me. Their online option is only available to teacher assistants. Otherwise it’s all face-to-face and it’s way too far to commute. I looked into William Carey but their closest was for grades 4-6. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

You can see the note about K-3 at the bottom. There is another program for PreK & K but I don’t want to be locked into those grades. There’s also a strictly Special Ed option. 
https://www.mdek12.org/OTL/OEL/Alternate

Would you be interested in special ed? It is usually in demand and I think you could be good at it, you look so carefully at individual needs.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, maize said:

Would you be interested in special ed? It is usually in demand and I think you could be good at it, you look so carefully at individual needs.

I am not sure. I guess it depends on the spectrum of needs. My mom worked with special Ed students before and it did not sound like something I would be good at. But, I think back then the students were labeled SPED more so because of physical and mental difficulties rather than learning disabilities? I’m actually not really sure how it is now. I’m not the best caregiver. Dh gets mad when he’s sick and I act put out lol! But he’s such a baby ha It would depend on what I would need to do.

I saw a woman at the charter school that I was told has a master’s in special ed. Her title was support staff or something. She was not a lead teacher, but in the room with focus on specific kids. I don’t know how their pay is compared to a teacher. 

On 1/11/2020 at 5:06 AM, heartlikealion said:

Dh said don’t take PT unless I’m offered both... because the PT would be more so to get the feel for the facility/how they run things. 

We went back & forth on that. I ultimately agreed with him, though. That’s a lot of wear & tear on the car(s) without enough pay to move closer. I’d be in the car almost as long as I’m the building (45 min. each way. Job is 2 hrs/day). One candidate (not direct competition) said he currently subs there and volunteered how much he gets a day. I did the math and that comes out to roughly $13/hr. The part time job probably pays ballpark the same. Minus taxes and gas (estimating $9 round trip), my take home pay would be very little. This is exactly why I get so discouraged job hunting. I started to argue I should take anything to build my resumé but the cars really don’t need that wear & tear and I don’t need to spend such a long time in the car to work so little.

I don’t know if subbing would be any more practical but you’d be there all day. My local school district pays $10/hr to the average sub.even though they boast they are the highest paying school district in the state. How can they say that? Maybe because they pay retired teachers $15/hr to sub. 

Hopefully they wouldn’t offer me just PT. I know I overthink everything. Just sharing how every time I try to move forward it feels like there’s a catch. 

$10/hr for a teacher??? 😳 How do they get qualified people to work for that?  My 17 yr old works 8 hrs/wk at a daycare, and she makes $15/hr, with zero prior experience. Paying teachers $10/hr is unconscionable, IMO. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

$10/hr for a teacher??? 😳 How do they get qualified people to work for that?  My 17 yr old works 8 hrs/wk at a daycare, and she makes $15/hr, with zero prior experience. Paying teachers $10/hr is unconscionable, IMO. 

$10 for a substitute. I don’t know hourly rates for teachers. None of Ds’ public school teachers were certified. I looked them up in a database. His private school teacher was. Non certified teachers are a o so so common here. They work on their certification, but recently the time frame had shortened or another thing was put into place to make it more strict. I think that’s why the charter wants their assistant teachers on a path to becoming lead teachers. They add a new grade to their school each year. 

(We don’t live in the same school district as where I applied, but they aren’t considered a very good school district in our state either). The charter pays more than the other public schools within the same district. 

Edited by heartlikealion

I worked at a daycare in 2006? making min. wage or close to it. I got like $6.25/hr or something like that. Our state’s current min. wage is $7.25 I think. 

I don’t want to have to help kids with accidents and stuff if I can avoid that. Dd still asks me to wipe her behind sometimes. I want a break from super little kids lol I applied for second grade.

Things aren’t looking so great. No news. And they definitely didn’t contact all my references. 

USM said in addition to the 61 hrs of Professional Elementary Education classes I’d need some other classes which would be taken prior to starting the PEE classes. This would consist of 4 classes (a higher level composition class, elem. math, child psychology or child development, and an elem. art or music class). I’m done. I’m not diving into all that. If I get the job I won’t be pursuing a teaching license and they’ll have to live with that or let me go. 

At an unrelated dept., USM also said that despite my son being on a waiting list for his APD test there (they screwed up last semester and left him off!) he may not get one. Apparently they don’t plan to offer APD testing this semester. I could scream. And cry. It’s $300 there vs $700+ elsewhere. 

I emailed a graphic design teacher at a community college (not the one where Dh works because they don’t offer that) to inquire about taking a class to improve my skills/resumé. They don’t have any night classes or online stuff. The class I want is only offered in fall, twice a week at 2:00 pm. 

Getting really discouraged. I’ll probably have to drop my individual therapist sooner than later because it’s eating into the flex card so much and the behavioral optometrist is pushing for me to start PT with dd. Meanwhile we haven’t scheduled a second appt with the marital therapist yet and I just went to my psychiatrist for a check up yesterday. The school district still can’t tell me when dd will start PreK. 

One step at a time Heart. As long as you are looking for positive ways forward you are on the right track.

Life is full of setbacks and obstacles. We just have to move forward as best we can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ran into a friend/former coworker today. She said she couldn’t handle subbing here so quit. So that’s not making subbing look any more appealing. 

Logistically I probably couldn’t have returned to school. Dh is not reliable for childcare and he’s consumed enough already with his doctorate program. I could probably never study. I went to the fitness center the other night and he texted me urging me to come home because dd woke up and was trying to wait up for me. My kids are too young and/or clingy for me to focus on myself much. Some things will just have to wait. 

11 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ran into a friend/former coworker today. She said she couldn’t handle subbing here so quit. So that’s not making subbing look any more appealing. 

Logistically I probably couldn’t have returned to school. Dh is not reliable for childcare and he’s consumed enough already with his doctorate program. I could probably never study. I went to the fitness center the other night and he texted me urging me to come home because dd woke up and was trying to wait up for me. My kids are too young and/or clingy for me to focus on myself much. Some things will just have to wait. 

Which is OK; the kids are growing every year. Crazy how that happens--my oldest two are both taller than me now!

1 minute ago, maize said:

Which is OK; the kids are growing every year. Crazy how that happens--my oldest two are both taller than me now!

I want to say it’s ok but I can’t feel that way as I feel crushed by debt. Dd sees an optometrist every few months now and is supposed to start PT. We can refuse the PT but I’d like to afford it and give it a try. The optometrist trained some of the physical therapists there to do certain types of work to help patients like dd. 

I’ve asked about possible APD with ds years ago. I know it doesn’t matter to others but I want that closure. All these things are expensive. 

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well. I've been looking for a better job than my current one for a year now. I think it's just not a good time for job hunting. 

I've also looked into going back to school. I'd love to but time/money won't allow it. I did take a certification test for an area that is tangentially related to my degree, and I passed. I actually learned about it when I was looking through a community college catalog, because they were offering a prep class. I decided to just take the test without the class to save money. I found a cheap prep book on Amazon, and there were some YouTube videos all about it. I am hoping now that I have official certification that will give me a few more options when I look for jobs. Is there anything like that you can do for graphic design? Or just find free or inexpensive/on-demand resources that will help you gain more skills? In addition to the certification, I signed up to learn a form of coding that could be helpful for me. This is more of a skill I would possess than a certification I would need. The course was $13.

Basically, there are some options to help you advance a bit, even if they don't align with what you most want to do. Last spring I applied for a Masters in Social Work Program and got accepted. I would love to go through that, but I just can't right now. So until I can, I will work toward a better job. Sometimes I guess you have to take a step in the right direction even if that doesn't get you all the way to the destination. 

Finally, I'm sorry to hear that you may not be able to continue therapy. I bet if you tell your therapist that you may not be able to continue, they will be able to provide some ideas to continue making progress. Personally, I found cognitive-behavioral therapy very helpful but it is ultimately a set of techniques that you can apply on your own. I am sure there are workbooks on Amazon, or you can even google CBT techniques, get out a notebook, and start writing. Or typing, whatever works. 

I just want to say, I have only recently caught up on what you are going through and I can't relate completely, but I can say we've both had a rough go of it lately. I have found that I need to change a lot about my life but I don't have all the resources I thought I needed. These are just a few things that have made me have a little hope and they are making me feel a lot less depressed and a lot more capable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@OH_Homeschooler I hope things improve for you. That was smart to take the test and find other ways to move forward. 

Dh was gifted a new (as in, new to him. Guy he knows with a computer shop had a spare) graphics card so I said once that in installed I want to download Inkscape. It’s supposed to be similar to Illustrator which is a popular program I never learned. It’s listed on lots of job postings. 

I am trying to focus on some attainable goals for myself. I’ve been doing better about exercise and food. 

This therapist specializes in brief counseling where you see her no more than about 12 sessions unless you want to keep going. She offers something that has to do with the eyes... I forget the acronym. So I think result-wise it’s similar to CBT. But truthfully the more I thought about any possible traumas in my life the less they bother me now. I really care more about dealing with a potential narcissist but I’m not sure how much she can help there. 

Edited by heartlikealion