Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
parent

Library Basket

I began with what i thought was a sturdy wicker rope basket, which kept leaving sawdust on my floor.  I replaced with this flat fabric weave with metal frame.  Someone used it as a step stool and the top frame is broken.  20200108_071710.thumb.jpg.2de57577eaca0929800a8e7ff1240f95.jpg

We have been using it like this for awhile but I am sick of it now.  I thought perhaps the cotton rope sewn baskets like This would be more forgiving if stepped on and wouldn't scratch my floors, but would it collapse if full of books?

I need something that looks nice as this is in our living room.  I need something near the size of a laundry basket because I always have too many books.  I like rectangular or oval so I can line up the books.  What do you use for a library basket?

I would prefer a basket but am now toying with the idea of a small shelf in that spot.  The right shelf is probably even harder to find.

Edited by parent

I have an Ikea shelf for library books. One cubby for each kid, and one cubby for me. Alternatively I keep them in giant LL Bean canvas bags.  Mostly they make it up to the school room but if for some reason they don’t, they live in the bag.

For our morning time basket I have an IKEA laundry basket similar to this one. Mine is a couple years old so the handles are slightly different, they are uncomfortable when the basket is full though. Possibly they have fixed that more recently though. It’s fits perfectly into the cubbies on my book shelf. It may not exactly fit in with your living room decor though. 

• Like 2

We have two baskets for the books the boys pick out (one for younger books and one for older books) and one basket for the books I check out for school reading. They are also metal framed, but with a stiffer material.

We have also lost many a basket to someone attempting to use it as a step stool!

IMG_20200108_142745403.jpg

IMG_20200108_142721636.jpg

• Like 2

The basket's location is between an angled sofa and a long buffet.  It is not much space for a shelf (30" max) and will be difficult to find something that matches the adjacent buffet.  A shelf would be nice because things would be more likely to be returned in an orderly fashion.  I do not like when the basket just has books piled on top.  But it is a perfect, tucked out of the way location for a basket and well separated from our other books so they do not get mixed and "lost" in the house.  I will keep searching for the "perfect basket" for awhile because i think the perfect shelf is harder.  I cannot even picture right now how a shelf can look good crammed in that space.

• Like 2

I have a shelf like this for library books: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JFPVYU/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&th=1 It comes in other brands and colors.  I also use a very large, sturdy wicker rectangular basket, but we have a lot of books so I needed more room. I have not found the woven fabric ones to hold up either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a library basket similar this.

Not aesthetically pleasing but there are others like it that are prettier or at least less utilitarian. I prefer function over form so it works for me.

I love that it is wheeled. I take it to the library with us and we use it to carry in the books we are returning, fill it up with the new books we are checking out and store the library books when we are at home. 30 - 40 books weigh quite a bit and my back is not as young as it used to be.

I like that it keeps all the library books in one place and when I say "put the library books where they go", they have an actual home to go to.

I have no problem fitting our library's limit of 40 books at one time in it. I normally have between 30 - 40 books checked out at one time.

I've seen wire ones that can be "prettied up" if that's your thing.

• Like 2

What about a wooden crate? You could put those felt furniture pads on the bottom to keep it from scratching your floors. It appears some come stained/painted but you could get an unfinished one and finish it to coordinate with your room. 

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, kand said:

I have a shelf like this for library books: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JFPVYU/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&th=1 It comes in other brands and colors.  I also use a very large, sturdy wicker rectangular basket, but we have a lot of books so I needed more room. I have not found the woven fabric ones to hold up either. 

That is awesome. Is it stable or could it tip?

23 minutes ago, Rachel said:

What about a wooden crate? You could put those felt furniture pads on the bottom to keep it from scratching your floors. It appears some come stained/painted but you could get an unfinished one and finish it to coordinate with your room. 

Maybe, but would certainly be a stool.

6 minutes ago, parent said:

That is awesome. Is it stable or could it tip?

It’s not tippy at all. Seems like the center of gravity is really low in such a way it would be difficult to tip it.

56 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I didn't click on the link before.  I think this may be a winner!   Definitely the most economical.  Gray would work well.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Ugly sturdy plastic white crate here, the kind they have at Walmart at back to school. It's in my living room too. But when my mom was here at Christmas, I just moved it into my room. 

• Like 1

I love the "manger" one! But I don't need to spend $40 right now. Ugh. 

But I could put the 2 yr old's library books on the flat bottom (mostly board books anyway) and the big kids books in the main part!

On 1/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, Rachel said:

I was going to suggest this.  A friend of mine uses a very pretty vintage-looking one for library books.  It looks very nice.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, Rachel said:

Loving the crate!!  Definitely needs felt because it has staples on bottom, but we always have felt pads.  Much less expensive than a basket.

20200110_171503.thumb.jpg.479b4c3d44f34955165c73b267a48b10.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, parent said:

Loving the crate!!  Definitely needs felt because it has staples on bottom, but we always have felt pads.  Much less expensive than a basket.

I need to go to Home Depot now! It’s real wood, right?

Edited by kand
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, parent said:

Ok, that's way more in my budget right now, and even matches some of our furniture! Home Depot is going to wonder about the weird run on wooden crates, lol. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kand said:

I need to go to Home Depot now! It’s real wood, right?

Yes, real wood.  It is a little rough, but I don't think kids would get splinters from it.  I like it and am wondering if I could use elsewhere..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, parent said:

Yes, real wood.  It is a little rough, but I don't think kids would get splinters from it.  I like it and am wondering if I could use elsewhere..

It looks like it won’t crush if a kid uses it as step stool, I’m glad it’s working for you and I like that gray!

This thread is like library book p*rn 🤣. All of my favorite things - books and how to store them, plus voyeurism in how other people do it! With the added benefit of seeing that other people's kids also ruin stuff they like. "This is why we cannot have nice things..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Library books not currently in use are stored in the rolling bag we take to the library. Library books in use are wherever they are being used at, like the kids' beds or the morning basket or with a particular curriculum. 

4 hours ago, drjuliadc said:

Trim is not my style but I do like the sollid bottom.  Other crate has slat bottom, but the slats are opposite how I line books so it doesn't matter.

Edited by parent