Menu

Middle School Curriculum

faiths13

I have been happy this year with the science from Master Books for my 7th grader. Specifically, the course Elements of Faith. It’s billed as a pre-chemistry. I do pair it with a co-op class and add things here and there to beef it up.

For history, I like CLE’s 7th and 8th grade history. 7th is world history and 8th is American. It is rather schooly, but DS will likely go to private high school so I am using it to teach study skills and test preparation along with the content. 

We love Apologia for middle school (and high school too). They are written directly to the student and are almost completely independent, all I have to do is answer questions occassionally and grade tests and make sure lab materials are available.

For history I actually prefer Human Odyssey (3 volume world history) or History of Us (4 volume concise edition US History) even though they are not Christian and we are. They are excellently written texts and provide a lot of good discussion points. My middle schoolers read them on their own and then we discuss and they write a summary about something of interest to them from their reading each week.

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I'm going to assume you aren't interested in sometihng like BJU distance learning online (though it gets these done in my house!).

Science:

John Tiner series: Masterbooks carries these as 'high school'. They most certainly are NOT! They have books of quizzes. Memoria Press has study guides. My sons loved these just doing the end of chapter 'quizzes'. No labs at all.

Apologia General- though you will need to help with labs

Rainbow Science: everything but a gallon of distilled water included

History:

Veritas Press Online Self-Paced

Mystery of History

All American History- currently my ASD kid is using this and enjoying very much. He doesn't do any of the extra stuff.

HTH!

I have looked at BJU but I always get confused trying to navigate the options. I need something affordable also...

The elementary series of Apologia are good for a 12 year old. 

I also second the Tiner books and Memoria Press guides (or without.) 

For something totally different, at twelve one of mine did well with a Thinking Tree delight directed curriculum journal. We set her up a plan as to what she would use with it throughout the year, and she thrived. Absolutely loved it. These wouldn't be for everyone. But we kind of created our own little unit study around it. 

Also that same kid did the Science in the Age of Reason on her own around 7th grade. It's labeled through sixth grade, but it was a good book with really simple to do on their own experiments. 

A lot if times, I keep mine together for discussion, some read alouds, and any projects, but assign separate readings and written work at their own levels if that helps you. 

So in 8th grade, when one of mine had pretty much outgrown SOTW, but the sixth grader was still right in there, I didn't buy odd a new history curriculum. I just assigned books for her to read on the topics and mapwork, timeline work, etc. from WTM. I stuck with SOTW4 with younger a lot, and kept it as our guideline for older too. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy