Menu

Getting Started with Anki

Once you install the app, you can download decks other people have shared and explore them. For instance, you can rename the deck to something like "delete this deck", haha.

If you want more hand holding and description, try the instruction tutorials from Fluent Forever. Once you have seen how it works you won't have any trouble going off-script. Unfortunately the FF instructions may be a little out of date now.

I've also had reasonable luck using the Anki help pages.

The good news is that once you've made 2 or 3 cards it really becomes fairly easy. Be sure to have separate decks to help with sorting and searching. You can have sub-decks, so under Latin I have Latin 1 and Latin 2. Then you could study Latin 1 or Latin 2 or both together. When my youngest started Latin, I copied the decks from my older dc, reset all the cards to "new" status and then suspended them all. Now, as she progresses through the program, I find the new words in her Anki deck and "unsuspend" them. Originally I used "tags" on all my cards, but I never really used them.

Leeches - ewww! Anki isn't intended to teach you new material, but rather to practice things you learn elsewhere. As a result, if you mark a card as "hard" too many times in a row you get a notice that it has been marked as a leech card. This means that you should probably find another way to (re)learn the information. BUT the default action is that when a card is marked as a leech it gets taken out of the deck and moved to a "leech" deck. You can change the default, if you want, so that it still gets tested - but only if you realize what is happening! It took me a while to figure this out. 

There are a number of older threads on the topic. @Tranquility7 is a super-user with all sorts of add-ons and thousands of cards. Her posts were helpful to see what was possible.

That's everything I can think of. Let me know if you run into trouble - I can say least commiserate!

• Thanks 1