Menu

Help me find some safeties!

chiguirre

Dd and I need to come up with a list of 2 or 3 more schools where she will be admitted preferably to the Honors program and get at least an OOS tuition waiver automatically. She has a 1460 SAT (her first try, so maybe she could do a bit better but maybe not) and a 4.0 as of first semester Junior year.

Her planned majors are business (not sure of concentration, but admission is always(?) to the school, not the concentration) and applied math.

So far, we've got UT Austin, UT Dallas and ASU, but we need at least a couple more for me to feel comfortable.

Do you know of any large universities in urban areas that have strong business undergrad programs and math departments that give good aid to OOS kids? I'm in a data swamp and I need some ideas of where to focus my efforts.

• Like 1

University of Alabama - Huntsville,  Florida International University, University of Kentucky.

Good luck to her!

ETA: As you well know, UT Austin is not in the same league as the other schools you mentioned. Top tier...

Edited by Lanny
Add ETA
  • Like 1

Totally outside the box but I’m going to mention it-

Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. My oldest ds is getting ready to graduate. I rarely suggest it because it is a quirky tiny school and lacks mass appeal but it hits what you are asking for. The business school is strong (specifically accounting is excellent) with all of Atlanta available for internships, and she would get excellent scholarships with her stats.

Also, students there have access to Emory and GaTech for classes that might not be available at Oglethorpe. My son’s girlfriend is a physics major and has taken classes at Emory. 

I can’t say enough about what this school has done for my Ds. They took excellent care of him financially (merit and need based). They even allowed him to stack a large four year outside scholarship without reducing their aid. He had a team of mentors through accounting that assisted him with professional development. He had multiple job offers in September of senior year and accepted one at a Big Four accounting firm.

It is totally nothing like UT-Austin! And it is not a dreamy school by any stretch but you did ask for safeties 🙂 

• Like 7

Oh and my other ds is at the University of South Florida. It is in Tampa and is an up and coming school. Honors Program is good and they have automatic scholarships for OOS. My ds is there because it was cheaper for him than our state flagship even as an OOS student. 

He is in business as well and I definitely see the benefits of going to an urban area. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lanny said:

University of Alabama - Huntsville

As much as I love to promote UAH, they are not a large school; they've been growing fast but are still just under 10,000 students. 

She would qualify for solid merit aid at University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, which is certainly a large school with good math and business programs, but the city is not on the scale of Austin or Dallas. UA OOS Scholarships

UA Birmingham is in a larger city but still not as large. UAB OOS Scholarships

University of Kentucky UK OOS Scholarships

Some colleges do have competitive admission to the business department. << oh wait, I think you meant admission is to the business department, not a specific concentration within it, carry on . . . 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

UA (Birmingham) offers a Presential scholarship  ($26,000 which brings OOS tuition down below in-state levels) plus a $1,000 stipend plus one year room costs (?) to National Hispanic Scholars. But verify that as things change from year to year. I think they'll stack scholarships, too, so she could get other merit money from them. I have no idea on honors college acceptances there or what their Business/math programs are like.

• Like 2

It wouldn't cover 100% of OOS tuition, but her stats should qualify for the Buckeye and Maximus scholarships at Ohio State, which would cover $16,500 of the OOS mark-up, bringing total tuition costs down to ~15,500 (which is about what in-state tuition costs at many schools). Columbus is a decent-sized city (just under 900K) and the business school (Fisher) is highly-rated, with excellent job placement. The alumni group is 500K strong and very active, with great connections. 

She would likely qualify for a full ride at UNM (Regents Scholarship), but Albuquerque may not be her idea of "urban," and the business school (Anderson) is nothing special. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. For homeschoolers.  It has the following " A portfolio recording all high school work completed (including courses studied, textbooks, assignments, and extracurricular achievements) "  in its requirements for homeschoolers on its website.  Did you need to do all of that and how did you do the assignment part? 

9 hours ago, shelleysboys said:

Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. For homeschoolers.  It has the following " A portfolio recording all high school work completed (including courses studied, textbooks, assignments, and extracurricular achievements) "  in its requirements for homeschoolers on its website.  Did you need to do all of that and how did you do the assignment part? 

Hmm...we did not do any of that. He appplied via common app and I think all he had to do extra was one of the “why do you want to go to college here” short essays. I don’t know if that is a new requirement or if we just weren’t aware when be applied four years ago. He did attend a scholarship weekend there in January so I know we must have had the application in early.

I would call admissions and ask what they are looking for. It is possible they are tightening up admissions some as they have grown. My ds says they kind of have an issue where it is not very hard to get in (because they are so small they need the students) but then the work is pretty tough and not all the students can handle it. He worked in admissions some and said they were actively trying to work on that. 

We've signed up for the Cougar Preview at U of Houston so I'll post a report afterward. U of H should probably be on our list as a "just in case dd can't move away from home" school. She'd get a nice scholarship from them. It's does an okay job with our requirements: 

-their undergrad b school is ranked #55 by Poets and Quants and #90 by USNWR (P&Q is data driven, USNWR is a popularity contest)

-their math department is ranked #86 although it's not focused on actuarial science (they do offer prep classes for at least one test though) however they do offer a decent financial math option and a new data science BS

-their Honors College has a Human Event class that all honors first years take, lots of honors class sections, research opportunities in the b school, and several honors minors that look interesting plus a nice leadership/local issues advocacy/volunteer program

I think we'll also visit TAMU. It also doesn't exactly match dd's preferences but we should at least visit. They're better ranked than UTD for business, not as well for actuarial science, but the application is Apply Texas which we're already doing, it's an academic safety and dd would get a guaranteed scholarship that makes them super affordable with in-state tuition. 

It looks like U of Alabama has also added a nice NHRP scholarship for the 2020-21 school year. I posted the details on the ASU/U of AZ thread. U of AL has some of the same issues as TAMU but it's 8 hours away by car. I don't think we'll add it to our list, but it's a nice scholarship. 

• Like 3

OP I think what you just wrote about UHouston and TAMU are good things and that you should investigate both universities thoroughly. A&M IMO is an outstanding school, but we are OOS and when their "Financial Aid" offer came in, it required approximately $40000 USD in loans and that was the end of that for my DD.  Also, there is a Housing shortage at A&M and l was very concerned about that for my DD and you may want to take a look at that for your DD...  There was a guaranteed scholarship for National Hispanic Scholars and A&M permits "Stacking" of scholarships, but for us, it was a financial impossibility for her to enroll in A&M.

Bama is a great school and not just for Football and I believe they have attracted a lot of OOS students from places like Illinois and given them great Financial Aid and I can't imagine those students returning to Illinois after they graduate from Bama.

Probably too far, but I was told The University of Nebraska Lincoln has a good actuarial science program. I have no idea on their Business school. With National Hispanic Recognition, I believe she gets their Chancellor's Scholarship which is full tuition for four years (and includes 3 summers) or until Bachelor's degree is finished. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 10:30 PM, shelleysboys said:

That is what is required in the common app anyway. 
assignments just state how the course is graded. Most of my classes have quizzes and a final exam. Some are oral exams, some are papers or projects. This was all stated in each course description. 

I've been doing net price calculators like crazy just because I wanted to get a sense for our EFC from various school perspectives (the results differ greatly!), and I've come to realize the important missing factor is competitive merit scholarships. Only a few schools seem to have baked into their calculators merit aid based on scores and GPA.  One of them is Virginia Commonwealth University.  You might want to give them a look!  

• Like 3

On 1/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, dmmetler said:

University of Missouri might be worth a look. They have some decent scholarship options. 

It might have been worth a look, if the school had not gone through the protests and demonstrations, a few years ago. Yesterday, in my Google Feed (Discover) there was an article about Evergreen State College and the decline of that school, during the past few years, following protests and demonstrations, etc., there. 

It is not only students and their parents who pay attention to these things. My guess is that fewer companies send Recruiters to Job Fairs at those schools then they did before the events a few years ago.