Menu

Re: University of Northern AZ

Roadrunner

If you mean NAU (Northern Arizona University), the school has some strong, highly-rated programs for Environment and Forestry, plus some of the Natural Sciences. It is also known for being a distance degree program school. It is the smallest of the 3 AZ public state schools, but seems to have more merit aid to offer than the other 2. The campus is in a smaller town in the pine trees at about 7000' elevation,  so there is snow during the school year. I believe JenneinCA has a daughter attending NAU right now, if you wanted to PM her for how that is working out.

I have never heard NAU mentioned as a strong tech-oriented school, but I know you can get a decent degree from many colleges, even if they aren't "known for" a particular program. I think the opportunity for internships, or projects, and nearby access to tech companies in the community, would be important for a tech degree. NAU is in a smaller, non-techie town.

Since she has high stats, I would consider first looking at schools with automatic scholarships AND that have strong tech programs (if that is what she is planning on going in to).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

My daughter is there.  She is doing a double major with civil engineering and German and will spend a year aboard.   She is enjoying the school and the people.  The weather is often cold.  They get snow and a lot of it.

We did not have to provide any additional proof of lab classes or anything else for admission.  Just a transcript and her ACT scores.  She got a WUE scholarship just for being in California and a fat scholarship for the ACT score.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Since it's Arizona, I assume you'll have to do that thing where you detail all the labs in order to apply. Just something to be aware of. I don't know much about as a school.

ASU (Arizona State University) is the only AZ school that requires that. (The only college/university at all that I know of that requires that. 😉  )

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

ASU (Arizona State University) is the only AZ school that requires that. (The only college/university at all that I know of that requires that. 😉  )

Are you sure? Someone said to me that another of the AZ state schools requires it as well. It's not the only school that requires it though... I know Bates requires it. And... there's another. University of Richmond?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Are you sure? Someone said to me that another of the AZ state schools requires it as well...

Absolutely sure. That's my state, and I've researched all 3 of our public universities, plus all of our private schools. Years back, the AZ Board of Regents (which governs the public schools) included in their policies that universities have some sort of policy for proof from homeschoolers of science labs done in a lab setting. (That may be what that person who spoke to you was talking about.) But the only AZ school that actually followed through with a hoop for that policy was ASU. 

Here's the most recent (December 2019) AZ Board of Regents policies -- they have apparently dropped that proof of Science lab wording. (see below) I would guess that once ASU picks up on that change, that they may be likely to drop their requirement, as it has NOT worked in their favor. Even over the past 5-8 years, I've seen them start soft pedaling their requirement, because they've had so many great homeschoolers attend ASU, AND they seeing that it's more off-putting to potential students (who end up attending other AZ colleges) -- rather than making ASU look "rigorous", lol. Which it is not.

Home-schooled Student Criteria:
Each university will admit home-schooled students who meet criteria developed and established by each university. As possible, the universities will follow the admission criteria outlined in A.1.a. and b.

A. Freshman Applicants
A freshman is defined as a student who has graduated from a regionally accredited high school and has fewer than 12 transferable college credits post- high school.

1. Admission criteria for residents and non-residents

a) Assured Admission

1) Each university will admit undergraduate applicants, from regionally accredited high schools, who meet the 16 academic coursework competency requirements, herein after called “core” or “core competencies,” and demonstrate aptitude for coursework by earning a 3.00 unweighted core grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 = A scale in the core competencies outlined in Section ABOR Policy 2-121C or rank in the top 25 percent of their graduating high school class.
2)  Each university will adhere to the core GPA as the primary consideration for assured admission.

b) 
Delegated Admission
1) Each university may use its discretion in admitting applicants who do not meet the assured admission requirements, provided the applicant earns a core high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or above on a 4.00 = A scale in the core competencies and have no more than 2 deficiencies. These 2 deficiencies cannot be in the same core subject area

Edited by Lori D.

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

She is interesting in engineering, but doesn’t know what kind. None of ÇA schools with engineering seem to be safeties, so they are thinking Arizona might be for her.

The University of Arizona has a well respected Engineering department, with undergraduate majors in Aerospace, Architectural, Biomedical, Biosystems, Chemical, Civil. Electrical, Environmental, Industrial, Materials, Mechanical, Mining, Optical, and Systems. UA also has some very solid Engineering Master and PhD programs, with the possibility of internships with national and international companies.

Our DS#1 is currently attending there, and is a little over halfway through the Mechanical Engineering BS. DS#1 opted to NOT go through the UA Honors program, as he just wanted to get through the Engineering program without delay or bells & whistles, and get on to working in the field, since he had already spent 5 years earning an AAS and a BA, and the Engineering BS is another full 4 years of school. 

Off-hand, I can think of a number of other homeschoolers from our homeschool support group who have graduated from the UA Engineering program, and several more who are in the midst, along with our DS#2. One young man, who graduated high school the same year as our DS#1, went straight into the UA Optical Sciences & Engineering program -- he has both his BS and a Master's and is currently finishing up a PhD. He has said that big companies line up eager to snap up the Optical Engineering grads (and with good paychecks), even at the Bachelor level.

Happy to help with any other info about UA, or if you guys decide to come this way for a school tour. 😄 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

She is interesting in engineering, but doesn’t know what kind. None of ÇA schools with engineering seem to be safeties, so they are thinking Arizona might be for her.

If considering out of state, I believe the other UA (lol) -- University of Alabama -- is highly ranked for Engineering, and has some automatic scholarships for National Merit students. I think they have had to back down some of their aid in the last year or two. Also, I believe that is where one of DSs of 8FillTheHeart went (and had some terrific internship opportunities), so you could get details from her on that school.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

If considering out of state, I believe the other UA (lol) -- University of Alabama -- is highly ranked for Engineering, and has some automatic scholarships for National Merit students. I think they have had to back down some of their aid in the last year or two. Also, I believe that is where one of DSs of 8FillTheHeart went (and had some terrific internship opportunities), so you could get details from her on that school.

so you would not recommend Northern Arizona U? I doubt she will go as far as Alabama. It’s hard to get CA kids out of state. 

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

She doesn’t want to be in Arizona, but will be persuaded by high elevation. That’s my understanding. Hence Northern Arizona University. I think they are hoping for SLO in CA, but need an affordable and sure backup in a place that’s not too hot. 

Hmmm... possibly look at the very tiny Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott AZ.

I totally get not liking the heat. But I personally would not sacrifice attending a strong Engineering program with a lot of networking and internship possibilities just because it's in a hotter part of a state -- just so I could go to a very average Engineering program at  school in a higher elevation. But that's just me. 😉 

Instead, what about out-of-state at a more northern/cooler location, at a school with a solid Engineering program

• Like 1

I took a class there years ago when we lived on the reservation north of Flagstaff.

Second daughter applied there and it did have a decent engineering program. Financial aid was not great in the end though so it ended up being one of the more expensive options (we are out of state but in a WUE state.) The area itself is awesome and Flag is a cool college town. Many kids from our state go there.

I just saw that your daughter is high stats. In general, the kids from our state that go there are not the high achievers, but I think that is possibly because NAU really does not have great merit scholarships, so there are better options elsewhere.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

so you would not recommend Northern Arizona U? I doubt she will go as far as Alabama. It’s hard to get CA kids out of state. 

NAU is absolutely fine if you're just looking for a regular degree with no bells & whistles or high prestige attached. OR, if you are looking for one of the best programs in the country in Forestry. 

I currently know 2 students attending NAU, and it's working very well for them. They are your above-average-but-not-top-scholar students. They each got scholarships. They are all doing well, and they will have a degree in hand at the end of their time there. Neither is going into Engineering or Forestry or the Sciences.

ETA -- PS
Since I know nothing about their Engineering program, you should probably do some research and go for a visit to see if the NAU Engineering program would be a fit or not. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Montana State is a WUE school with good engineering and not too hot. WUE is competitive there so you do want to apply early. Many kids from our state go there, as well as Boise State in Idaho. University of New Mexico tends to be more affordable, is at a higher elevation (though it is warm), and has engineering. Not sure how the program rates though. 🙂

• Like 2