Menu

Barrett Honors at ASU and U of Arizona Honors? Similar schools?

chiguirre

Does anyone have experience with these programs? My dd is planning on majoring in business and math. She would prefer an urban location with opportunities for internships and volunteering. We would like an in-state tuition waiver for high stat students. Automatic admission to the honors program for National Hispanic Scholars is a big plus because we're looking for a sure thing in case UT Austin doesn't work out. 

If anyone can throw out other ideas, I'd really appreciate it. It's time to make our application season plans and widen our focus to OOS possibilities.

• Like 1

UA (University of Arizona, in Tucson) has the prestigious -- and sometimes difficult to get in to -- Eller College for Business degrees. Here are the Eller program ranking. The UA, and Tucson, both have a good-sized Hispanic population, due to being about 1.5 hours from the border. Tucson also has a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce that seems to be fairly active as well.

ASU (Arizona State University) is located in the heart of the Phoenix conglomerate, which currently makes it the 5th largest city in the U.S. right now. So, a lot of businesses, and a good-sized Hispanic population. The Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is located in Phoenix.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Does anyone have experience with these programs? My dd is planning on majoring in business and math. She would prefer an urban location with opportunities for internships and volunteering. We would like an in-state tuition waiver for high stat students. Automatic admission to the honors program for National Hispanic Scholars is a big plus because we're looking for a sure thing in case UT Austin doesn't work out. 

If anyone can throw out other ideas, I'd really appreciate it. It's time to make our application season plans and widen our focus to OOS possibilities.

I spent A LOT of time reading about which schools might give my DD a big Financial boost, because she qualified as a National Hispanic Scholar when she took the PSAT/NMSQT examination.

That is why, in your other thread, I mentioned University of Alabama-Huntsville, Florida International University and the University of Kentucky.

At that time,  one of those schools had a "Full Ride" for the first 2 years and the last 2 years no Room & Board and the other 2 schools were "Full Ride" for the full 4 years.  I think the one where it was "only" 2 years was UKentucky, but am not positive. There had been some extremely favorable comments here on WTM or in a CC thread about UKentucky when I was researching that.

From a thread I read on CC at  that time, a lady in Arizona (Phoenix) who teaches in a CC there had people reporting about what they found and also things she found for her kid.  From comments there, at that time, I believe the Arizona schools are quite liberal with Financial Aid for applicants who have what they are looking for.  I believe one of my cousins has a Grandson who is at Arizona but that's not a school you listed and I don't know how they are with Financial Aid.

Note: I believe that when my DD was first contacted by UNC, they knew that she had qualified as a National Hispanic Scholar. They were not one of the schools I found information about, when searching for financial aid for National Hispanic Scholars, however, I believe they contacted her because of that.

Also, UNC is a huge stretch for OOS applicants, but there is a girl who will graduate from Texas Tech University High School this year who will be going to UNC to play Soccer. Two students in 2 years.  If my memory is correct, last year, UNC accepted 8 students from Texas so if your DD is interested in what they offer.  NC state law requires 82% of the Freshmen class are NC residents, so that makes it very tough for OOS applicants, however, not impossible... Not all of them are Athletes. 

A granddaughter of the same cousin is at UMichigan in Ann Arbor on a Sports Scholarship. Her brother wanted to go there, but ended up at UArizona in Tucson. Very tough for admit at Michigan...

Note: I would throw UVirginia in Charlottesville into the mix for your consideration. Not as a safety school, but they have a huge endowment and in CollegeData.com (?) they had a Required list of High School courses and a Recommended list of courses. I did not see that with other schools I was looking at for my DD at that time. 

My kid visited both - Arizona was her favorite (felt more friendly), and has an excellent business school. ASU better meets your 'urban environment' criteria, though. ASU felt too urban and too huge to my DD: the extra 10,000 students made for a more "you're a number here" visitor experience. Even just the honors college at ASU is larger than many liberal arts colleges.

• Like 2

To my amazement, on USNEWS.COM the 2 schools are tied (for 117) for National Universities.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/arizona-state-university-tempe-1081/overall-rankings

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-arizona-1083/overall-rankings

I like that ASU is #10 for Best Undergraduate teaching. 

Arizona is also on the list for Best Undergraduate teaching (not all schools are on that list) but is #76 for that. Better to be ranked on that list than not on that list!

Truly, ASU ranks better than I would have assumed, which is why I try not to assume.

Actually, ASU's undergraduate b school ranks 31 on the USNWR list and their actuarial science program is listed as providing advanced coursework on the Society of Actuary's website. That's why it bumped TAMU off our list. The Barrett Honors college has a strong reputation (as opposed to regular ASU which is known to be a party school).

U of Az's business school ties with ASU's but their act sci program is not as strong and Tucson is not as internship friendly as Phoenix.

Edited by chiguirre

I'm posting another possibility: U of Alabama now has a package for NHRP recipients for 2020-21. I think this is new for next year. I don't remember them having anything specific for NHRP in prior years:

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/national-hispanic-recognition-scholarship/

National Hispanic Recognition Package for 2020-2021

• Presidential Scholarship
  • $1,000 per year stipend for four years (8 semesters)
  • First year of undergraduate on-campus housing at regular room rate (based on
    assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
  • Like 1