Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Renamed - Grant’s thread, updated post 527

Well.  Been in the hospital since 5 am, sticking around until the baby is born 😞

The perinatologist has been consulting with my doctor and said yes, I have superimposed pre eclampsia now, the question is the severity of certain features.  But the prognosis is expectant management with monitoring his vitals and my labs until one of is tips the balance to delivery being safer OR we hit 34 weeks. 

Now generally once the diagnosis is made things can hold steady anywhere from 7-28 more days, but sometimes they turn fast, according to her.  So it’s wait and see here hooked up to continuous monitoring until one of us indicates delivery.  She is optimistic we can make it to 26 weeks from here, that’s another 10-ish days.  More is better, but we shall see.

Pray I don’t lose my mama mind and he is safe and grows well.  We got in a round of steroids this morning and some mag sulfate as a precaution, so that’s good.  And I’m not having preterm labor right now.  Bright side - my nurses are lovely 🙂

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 24
  • Sad 28

I'm sorry this is coming so early--but better than December. Hope you both can hang in there a little longer. Peace to you while you wait.

• Thanks 1

Thinking of you, your family, and your baby. I hope you make it a very long time before delivery.

I hope it's weeks and weeks before it's time to meet baby. I hope your support system is good, both for you in the hospital and your family at home. We will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

Thinking of you, your family, and your baby. I hope you make it a very long time before delivery.

For sure!  I’m sure I’ll go stir crazy but it’s much preferable to the alternative.  I started his baby blanket and am settling down for the long haul.9C4F7D2B-7214-4EFD-8226-399634AF58D2.thumb.jpeg.dba01cbaf43eaa806756e30d81be7b7b.jpeg

• Like 12

Praying for you and your baby! And all your peeps at home. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

Will be praying that you are there for many weeks. I'm sorry this is the way things have played out.

• Thanks 1

I've been thinking about you over the last week, wondering.  Praying you'll both be safe and healthy.

• Like 1

Aw, shoot. I was hoping no news was good news, as you’ve been around the boards and I hadn’t seen any mention of issues flaring. 

We will watch and pray with you. May God grant you peace as you wait. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, @Arctic Mama, I haven't been around and sorry to hear you're having pregnancy troubles. 

Adding my continued prayers for you and baby, and the family too of course. 34 weeks would be great but so would full term if everything settled down. I always look for miracles. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Will be praying that you are there for many weeks. I'm sorry this is the way things have played out.

How are you doing?! Been thinking about you as well.

Praying for you and the baby. And for things to run as smoothly as possible for the rest of the family. Do you guys have help?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

How are you doing?! Been thinking about you as well.

Pretty good, thanks for asking. Protein in my urine keeps rising but they're doing blood work and growth scans regularly, with nothing alarming showing up. I think I have another 24 hour urine collection coming up soon.  My blood pressure is creeping up even on Labetalol. they're pretty confident preclampsia is in my future but they think it'll be much closer to my due date like previously. I'm 31 weeks along and my csections is scheduled for 39 weeks assuming things keep going well. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Pretty good, thanks for asking. Protein in my urine keeps rising but they're doing blood work and growth scans regularly, with nothing alarming showing up. I think I have another 24 hour urine collection coming up soon.  My blood pressure is creeping up even on Labetalol. they're pretty confident preclampsia is in my future but they think it'll be much closer to my due date like previously. I'm 31 weeks along and my csections is scheduled for 39 weeks assuming things keep going well. 

I’m aaaaalmost done with my 24 hour, I absolutely hate those. Being at 31 already is just great, my team said they’re thrilled with outcomes from 32 on, and have to induce by 34 for me.  But if you can make it to term without the blood pressure going nuts that would be great!

Just upped my labatelol again last dose, so 400 4x.  I can do up to 600 before we have to layer with something else.

Hoping that they can keep things stable for quite awhile longer. Every day is a step in the right direction. I did a lot of crafts, read a lot of books, and watched lots of old TV during the 12 weeks that we were in a holding pattern. 

• Like 3

Praying for you and the baby, as well as for your dh and the rest of your gang at home, because I'm sure they are all missing and worrying about you like crazy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, maize said:

Praying for you and the baby. And for things to run as smoothly as possible for the rest of the family. Do you guys have help?

I think so.  My church friends are on a rotating list as needed, I can call @happysmileylady in a pinch too, and I think my mom and stepmom and possible FIL will all be trying to fly in to assist as needed at various points. Plus hubby can work much of the day from home.  It’s the school logistics that are tricky, I need reading assignment and geography stuff they can do that’s not teacher led for awhile.

• Like 5

Oh man.  I know a long haul stay is not fun, but I hope you are there as long as possible.  I will be out of town this weekend, but otherwise we will be pretty much settling into our January groove starting next week so I will be available!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hope your stay results in the baby staying in longer.

Do you have restrictions in bed?  I was on bed rest 3 1/2 months with my twins - 23 hours had to be on my left side.

One suggestion after you have the baby is to request physical therapy for you.  My body (lower back specifically) is still paying consequences of the bed rest.  I have had pt decades after bed rest.  The pt said going from bed rest back to normal without pt is like expecting someone to run a marathon without any training.  I never knew to ask for pt and realistically, I don’t know logistically if I could have made it work, but my body wishes I had done it back then.

I guess you’ll be counting on us to post entertaining threads everyday!  Come on people, get some drama in your life so we can get a good thread going for the sake of AM!

Edited by school17777
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, school17777 said:

I hope your stay results in the baby staying in longer.

Do you have restrictions in bed?  I was on bed rest 3 1/2 months with my twins - 23 hours had to be on my left side.

One suggestion after you have the baby is to request physical therapy for you.  My body (lower back specifically) is still paying consequences of the bed rest.  I have had pt decades after bed rest.  The pt said going from bed rest back to normal without pt is like expecting someone to run a marathon without any training.  I never knew to ask for pt and realistically, I don’t know logistically if I could have made it work, but my body wishes I had done it back then.

I guess you’ll be counting on us to post entertaining threads everyday!  Come on people, get so drama in your life so we can get a good thread going for the sake of AM!

Actually the opposite - they are worried about blood clots more than my cervix so once this mag sulfate is off and we agree on a monitoring schedule (continuous is not working out well with his activity level and size) I’ll be encouraged to move around the room and ward as much as I can while staying ‘in’.  But it is still a lot of sitting and waiting time, so that will be a bit of an adjustment.  Every day we do it here is less nicu time though, which is far preferable.

• Like 5

So sorry you, the baby and your family are going through all this. Big hugs and lots of prayers!

I was admiring your knitting, though! Beautiful colour of yarn. You are brilliant for having something practical and precious to focus your mind and body on. And your finger nails are perfect! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be thinking about you a lot today, as it is my NICU guys 3rd birthday. And this time on that day, as I laid in bed waiting to be able to get up and roll down to the NICU to hold him, I thought about you, happypamamma, and yoyu NICU guys. The only productive way to pass the time between birth and holding him, roughly 9 hours, was to pray many rosaries for the 4 of you. My prayers today will be devoted to you and your baby once more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry you're in the hospital.  Sending lots of positive thoughts that it will be a while before delivery.  

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Arctic! Praying that baby stays put and stays healthy and you stay sane!

Your nails look awesome, BTW. 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you!  Growth scan is between 1-4:00 today, depending on how the MFM afternoon schedule goes, and that should give us more data.

• Like 1

Oh no! Thinking of you and the baby. Even though it's frustrating for you I hope the little one stays put a bit longer.

• Like 1

Where in the heck did you find time for a manicure?  I’m still picking up from Christmas!

You are a strong woman and a wonderful mom.  You and your baby are in my prayers.  Thank you for keeping us updated. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

For sure!  I’m sure I’ll go stir crazy but it’s much preferable to the alternative.  I started his baby blanket and am settling down for the long haul.9C4F7D2B-7214-4EFD-8226-399634AF58D2.thumb.jpeg.dba01cbaf43eaa806756e30d81be7b7b.jpeg

Silver lining. And your manicure looks lovely 😘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Praying for you and that little bean to stay put for longer!  As much as forced rest sounds like a dream, I know it would drive me crazy after about a day, so I will definitely be praying for your peace of mind, and that your kids at home will be able to occupy themselves productively while you are gone!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Where in the heck did you find time for a manicure?  I’m still picking up from Christmas!

You are a strong woman and a wonderful mom.  You and your baby are in my prayers.  Thank you for keeping us updated. 

Manicures keep mama sane, the kids know they don’t mess with the mommy-alone time-nail-date 😙 The biggest issue is how I’m going to find time/ways to remove them if they keep me for weeks and won’t let me leave the premises. Hmmm...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AFwife Claire said:

Praying for you and that little bean to stay put for longer!  As much as forced rest sounds like a dream, I know it would drive me crazy after about a day, so I will definitely be praying for your peace of mind, and that your kids at home will be able to occupy themselves productively while you are gone!

Yeah I love rest but it’s hard to get comfortable with all the poking and vitals.  I finally caved after the last three triages and bought a really good sleep mask.  That plus ear plus have helped SO MUCH!  This is the comfiest sleep mask I’ve ever used, bar none.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YXLYTBN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

The ear plugs that come with it are junk, get a better brand, but the mask itself is dark and cushy and doesn’t press on my eyes or irritate me at all.

• Like 3

Shoot!  I was so hoping you were going to miss out on the long term hospital stay but thrilled you are being encouraged to move around.  It a huge step up from laying on my side for the cervix.  You are in my prayers.

Try not to worry about the kids at home because it truly sounds like hubby and your families will have it covered.  My husband loves the stories from his time as a single dad ..... we just watched the Christmas Futurama in memory of his sleeping through dd watching that rather inappropriate for a 2 yo Christmas special.                                                                       

Edited by mumto2
Removed youtube
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Manicures keep mama sane, the kids know they don’t mess with the mommy-alone time-nail-date 😙 The biggest issue is how I’m going to find time/ways to remove them if they keep me for weeks and won’t let me leave the premises. Hmmm...

If you have a regular person, perhaps they would make a “house” call?

I once heard of a young lady who went to cosmetology school, and started a business as a traveling manicurist for high powered businessmen in a big city. She wore business attire and carried all her supplies in a nice briefcase. The story went that she could charge $$$$ because men wanted a manicured look, but didn’t want to set foot in a salon. That was back in the ‘80s or ‘90s. I don’t think men worry about ruining their image with spa trips these days. 😂

• Like 2