Menu

Is 4 too few? to apply to?

THis is for my dd for next year so things may change but unlikely due to visits and narrowing down...

One is a reach 

One is a wild card (due to only real criteria being art portfolio)

One is a target (but would need about 15k scholarship to make it worthwhile)

One is a safety (sort of? It's OOS and we would be counting on them granting her WUE Exchange tuition which is NOT offered to every CA student that applies to Oregon colleges)

What say the HIVE?  Would you add another safety to this list?

• Like 1

[just adding to the above 2 posts] ^^ -- and that DD likes the school/campus enough to want to go there. And that it has a decent graphic design program for her.

BEST of luck as the 2 of you research and apply to colleges! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kand said:

Agreeing with the above, but adding that in general, 4 isn’t too few. It’s only because there isn’t a true safety on the list. My dd only applied to 2, but one was her top pick and though competitive, she had a fairly good shot at being accepted, and the other was a safety where she would have guaranteed merit. In that case, two was enough. 

I think the last one may be a safety, and we will find out more at their presentation during the weekend visit on how that works out for OOS students and meet with advisors.....

if not, yeah, you guys are right we need like a safety safety....

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 4:22 PM, Calming Tea said:

THis is for my dd for next year so things may change but unlikely due to visits and narrowing down...

One is a reach 

One is a wild card (due to only real criteria being art portfolio)

One is a target (but would need about 15k scholarship to make it worthwhile)

One is a safety (sort of? It's OOS and we would be counting on them granting her WUE Exchange tuition which is NOT offered to every CA student that applies to Oregon colleges)

What say the HIVE?  Would you add another safety to this list?

I would add at least two that have a high chance of admission and a clear financial pathway that isn't dependent on recieving a competitive scholarship. 

• Like 2

What are the admissions timelines like? If there are rolling admissions schools in your list, then you can have an answer and a merit scholarship early in the season, it can save you having to write applications later. However, if all four of these are "tell ya in the spring" you are in real trouble. I don't see any thing that is a true financial and admissions safety in your description.

• Like 1

This is for next year, so any timelines will do.  But, thanks to this thread we really spent a lot of time and found two more schools, both WELL within reach and both guarantee WUE exchange tuition rates to all students who are admitted!! So now she is all set.  We will visit her favorite reach and her favorite target, and that's it.  There's also a school in Hawaii but well...can't really justify another plane fare right now for a visit 🙂 Will have to make the huge sacrifice to visit Hawaii next acceptance season, if that looks like a serious contender.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

This is for next year, so any timelines will do.  But, thanks to this thread we really spent a lot of time and found two more schools, both WELL within reach and both guarantee WUE exchange tuition rates to all students who are admitted!! So now she is all set.  We will visit her favorite reach and her favorite target, and that's it.  There's also a school in Hawaii but well...can't really justify another plane fare right now for a visit 🙂 Will have to make the huge sacrifice to visit Hawaii next acceptance season, if that looks like a serious contender.

I just moved from Hawaii and have been on campus at UH Manoa, UH West Oahu, and Hawaii Pacific University if you want feedback. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, Calming Tea said:

This is for next year, so any timelines will do.  

My comment about timeline was not related to any particular year. When building your college list application deadlines and response times for admission and financial aid packages should be noted.

My kid who applied to Arizona had that as her only safety - application opened in August, admission and automatic merit awarded three weeks after application complete. So before the end of September we knew we didn’t need any more safety schools (unless she wanted them more than Arizona).

When your list is short, having rolling decision and/or early action schools helps reduce your risk: if for some reason decisions aren’t going your way, there is time fix your essay etc and apply elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 1:16 PM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I just moved from Hawaii and have been on campus at UH Manoa, UH West Oahu, and Hawaii Pacific University if you want feedback. 

YES I do! I read on CC that 

1.  The college is very commuter

2.  The hawaiian kids really hate Californians or even Hawaiian white kids

3.  The school is too laid back with too many kids smoking weed all the time etc. and not caring about their classes.

4.  That the buildings and infrastructure is very old and broken down.

So I am almost ready to cross it off my list, except that I'd trust a WTM boardie better than the college confidential people. 🙂

Edited by Calming Tea

On 1/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Calming Tea said:

2.  The hawaiian kids really hate Californians or even Hawaiian white kids

I know nothing about college in Hawaii, but I know someone (he is a Californian now, but I don't know if he was when he moved to Hawaii) who spend significant time in Hawaii growing up. He would absolutely say this is true. Life was rough for him. But I'm sure that doesn't mean everyone is like that or that every OOS kid will have a hard time.

• Sad 1

Thanks for confirming!  I did more research and it turns out that, native/partially native Hawaiians are extremely anti-white.  I even uncovered blog posts, news articles, and much more about the fact that outside of the tourist areas, and in schools, colleges and even just around town, white people living in Hawaii are basically driven away by the intense, consistent and often even violent behavior of the Hawaiians.  

Soo....moving on from that idea 🙂