Menu

What's with the ads?

Heartwood

Anyone doing a new Bible reading plan in 2020?

14 hours ago, Midwest Momma said:

I have done this daily audio Bible for several years: http://listenersbible.com/devotionals/biy/ It is chronological.

Bible In A Year

This devotional tool is an excellent way to learn the Bible, immerse yourself in the entirety of Scripture and gain spiritual wisdom throughout the entire year. Each day, we will feature a 10- to 15-minute excerpt from The Listener’s Bible (NIV 1984), narrated by Max McLean, which will culminate in a complete reading of the entire Bible over 12 months.

My dh has done this several times! Makes good use of his morning drive time.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a Bible reading plan for their kids? Ages 8-13 or so? They do a bit of scattered reading on their own and I have been directing them through a few books, but I would love to have something more organized. Not looking for a curriculum, just a reading plan.

I'm continuing working through The Daily Bible Study Series by Barclay--about to finish the first volume of John. I skipped John and went on to Acts, as John I & II went missing--back on track now. It will take me at least 2020 to get through the rest of the NT. Every few years I go through The Daily Bible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ema said:

Does anyone have a Bible reading plan for their kids? Ages 8-13 or so? They do a bit of scattered reading on their own and I have been directing them through a few books, but I would love to have something more organized. Not looking for a curriculum, just a reading plan.

For my kids, I just give them a paper to keep in their Bibles that has a checklist of each chapter of each book of the Bible. They do a chapter a day and it can be any chapter of the Bible they choose that they haven't read yet, and then they check it off the list. If you google Bible reading checklist or Bible chapter checklist a lot if results come up.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 6:17 AM, PeterPan said:

Do you mark when you read? Some people are probably pretty fancy. I did something simple this year with my one year Bible, since it was a fresh copy. I used 5 colored pencils to capture major themes as I was reading. I know Kay Arthur and people have other systems, but this was good for me. 

-sky blue-Things I'm learning about God

-grass green-Things about growing, things we need to do, etc.

-red-Warnings, stop, don't do this

-yellow-Blessings

-navy blue-Nifty facts (cuz I like those)

To the bolded, yes, I mark when I read, but my system isn't as elaborate (I didn't have enough colors 🙂 ). I use red for when God speaks, blue with things that deal with the Holy Spirit or baptism, green for things I want to apply to myself, and black for all else. A good friend gave me some colored mechanical pencils that she uses for marking in her Bible so now I can incorporate more colors/meanings if I want. I had a Bible study leader that loved Kay Arthur's method, but it never clicked with me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ema said:

There is one at the link above with plans that is an overview of the Bible....I think 180 days or so.  Could easily be spread out if the daily portion is too long 

Listening to it might help them as well.

• Like 1

I do the audio Bible. I listen to as much as I can before my early bird child wakes up.

Today she actually listened with me. We started in the beginning. 

I will be starting a devotional that DH bought me today.

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 2

Not Bible reading but I am thinking of doing Daf Yomi, in which Jews all over the world read through the entire Talmud, one page a day for 7.5 years.  The next Daf Yomi cycle starts this Sunday, Jan 5.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for this thread! I need some printables to keep me on track. This year I'd like to read every word of a Bible I inherited from a grandmother, complete with marginalizations. I used it regularly for years, but put it aside because it got kind of fragile. It occurred to me last year that I would like to know in my heart that I have read every word in that edition, so I’m going to aim for a chronological read through this year, using that book. It’s a good old NAS version. 

For those wanting an audio, Bible Gateway has an app that allows you to select options and hear whatever passage you like in a variety of versions. I’ve used their online tool for audio before but I’m going to see if the app will work for me, especially as I want to also work on memorization this year.

https://www.biblegateway.com/bible-audio-app/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

The YouVersion bible app also has reading plans that can be played from the app. You can even adjust the speed. 

Thank you! that one seems less 'buggy" although when I tried to add a note the page freezes up 😞

• Like 1

Just remembered an app my family enjoyed in the past: Read Scripture

It has short video drawings explaining the sections/ books of the Bible that come up as you get to them in the reading schedule.  I think it is part of The Bible Project, and the videos can be seen on YouTube if you don’t want to use the app. My kids and I found these helpful. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HazelAnne said:

It has short video drawings explaining the sections/ books of the Bible that come up as you get to them in the reading schedule.  I think it is part of The Bible Project, and the videos can be seen on YouTube if you don’t want to use the app. My kids and I found these helpful. 

Yes! We LOVE Bible Project animated overviews. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HazelAnne said:

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Yes! We LOVE Bible Project animated overviews. 

We do, too! I've been taking my girls through the Bible with them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Midwest Momma said:

This is a fantastic app for Bible memory: https://biblememory.com/. Check out the online demo.

Thanks.  One of my goals is 12 verses memorized this year.  Bonus if I can also learn one or more in Spanish

• Like 2