Menu

Anyone doing a new Bible reading plan in 2020?

This past year I have managed to do Dr. Horner's plan (I have missed a few days). I was thinking about continuing it for another year, but a group is doing the M'Cheyne study this next year so I'm tempted to do it with them. I've done that one before and enjoyed it as well. 

What are your plans?

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Wow, that's a lot! I'm doing Bible in a year (chronological?) because I'm overwhelmed and need something simple.

I was intimidated by it at first, but have really liked reading so much of His word. I'm a slow learner and want to understand the connections between scripture. Reading it over and over helps me to do that. Maybe in another ten years I'll have a better grasp, ha ha. 

Chronological is an approach I have found beneficial. The linear approach to history clicks with my brain and you get to see God's plan for a Savior unfold. 

• Like 1

I didn't really have a Bible reading plan this year -- I just kind of read sporadically, and some books I read several times.

About halfway through last year I started attending a Spanish Bible study -- I studied Spanish in high school and I decided I wanted to really try to speak Spanish.

So, I have decided that next year I want to read through the Old Testament in English and the New Testament in Spanish.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

This past year I used a One Year Bible for the first time, and it was wonderful. So for this coming year I got me, dd, dh, friends, countrymen, everyone (haha), one year chronological Bibles. I'm kind of excited. My friend always reads chronological and had previously done it with an app (where they just get it in order for you). This year she wanted to go back to print and was going to have to do it with a printed schedule and her regular ESV. So we're rocking her world with an NLT One Year Chronological Bible.

And look, they're on clearance for $12 right now!! The One Year Chronological Bible Creative Expressions, Hardcover

These are SO nice. Nice font, beautiful paper, lines on the side to journal. The coloring drawings aren't too intrusive if you don't like those. And I'm kind of keen on the NLT these days for personal reading. I had read the NASB for years, so it's just interesting to freshen it up. The parallelism is more obvious to me and I find myself understanding more. 

Do you mark when you read? Some people are probably pretty fancy. I did something simple this year with my one year Bible, since it was a fresh copy. I used 5 colored pencils to capture major themes as I was reading. I know Kay Arthur and people have other systems, but this was good for me. 

-sky blue-Things I'm learning about God

-grass green-Things about growing, things we need to do, etc.

-red-Warnings, stop, don't do this

-yellow-Blessings

-navy blue-Nifty facts (cuz I like those)

But you know, you could do anything. For this coming year, since I'm hoping the chronological Bible makes the history flow better for me, I got this nifty MAPS pamphlet to tuck in. Here, see what you think https://www.christianbook.com/then-now-bible-maps-pamphlet/9781596361300/pd/361301  It's about the size of the Bible, very thin, so it could tuck in the back. And I figure that way if I'm reading about all these battles and who asked help from whom and which church is being whatever, I could look it up and see the relationships. It was my idea for the coming year, so we'll see how that works out. 

I took a class on the history in the OT in college btw, and it's STILL a blur in my mind, lol. I'm so, so terrible at history. We'll see if the chrono helps. At least I might have a fighting chance, lol.

• Like 5

I am super excited about this plan

Edited—well my attachment had too much personal info on it.  But it is thematic year long reading.  

One theme for each day of the week.

The Law

History

Psalms

Poetry

Prophecy

Gospels

Letters.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Junie said:

I didn't really have a Bible reading plan this year -- I just kind of read sporadically, and some books I read several times.

About halfway through last year I started attending a Spanish Bible study -- I studied Spanish in high school and I decided I wanted to really try to speak Spanish.

So, I have decided that next year I want to read through the Old Testament in English and the New Testament in Spanish.  We'll see how it goes.

How did that go?  How much Spanish did you speak/read/understand when you started?  This sounds like something I would like to try.  I don't know a little t of Spanish though....I can read it somewhat understand spoken some and speak very little.  

I am working in a verse by verse study of Mark.

Then my goal is to read through Psalms, write down one key verse in English and Spanish and listen to the same chapter in Spanish as I follow along in my bilingual Bible.

I might also try the chronological read through the Bible again...but just the NT this year.  I have the Daily Bible and like that one 

• Like 2

For years I have been reading the OT one year and the NT the next (so the whole Bible in 2 years). But unfortunately, I really, really struggle with the years that I just read the OT, and to be honest, I've gotten to where I dread the OT years. 😥 My older ds told me that if I have a problem with what I'm doing, then maybe I should change it? DUH. He doesn't think it is wise to go a whole year without reading the NT, and I think he may have a point.

SO...I found a plan on a website called Lisa Notes (I know nothing about the blog author...but her plan resonated with me), and I'm going to begin it this year. I'm excited to be doing something new! It alternates two weeks of roughly chronological OT reading with one week of NT reading and sprinkles Psalms/Proverbs throughout. I'll print out her pdf and make bookmarks with it because I prefer to read out of a hard copy of Scripture. 

I like reading the Bible over two years rather than one because it gives me more time to meditate and study. Plus I'm working on a memorization project that takes a LOT of time. 

• Like 4

I've been using the Chronological 5 day a week plan for a few years now, but I don't hold myself to the schedule. I just work through it as I can and take time to delve deeper and look at commentaries, etc. when I get confused. 

https://www.bibleclassmaterial.com/FiveBibleReadingSchedule2019.pdf

What I like about this one is that it puts the OT books in chronological order but each day has OT reading, Psalms or Proverbs, and NT reading.  So even if you are working through Leviticus, there is other reading to balance out the long lists, etc. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

How did that go?  How much Spanish did you speak/read/understand when you started?  This sounds like something I would like to try.  I don't know a little t of Spanish though....I can read it somewhat understand spoken some and speak very little.  

I am really enjoying the Spanish Bible study that I am attending.  I realized that I had lost most of my Spanish skills when I couldn't get my older kids through Spanish 2.  (We switched to an ASL class online to complete their foreign language requirements.)

I started doing Duolingo and that has helped a lot.  I began attending the Bible study toward the end of summer.  The pastor is an native English speaker who is more or less fluent in Spanish.  (He was raised in a Spanish-speaking household.)  He enunciates well and speaks fairly slowly.  I am beginning to have an easier time understanding the native Spanish speakers who attend the study.

My spoken Spanish is terrible.

For my Spanish reading, I use a Bible that has Spanish and English in side-by-side columns.  If I get stuck or if there is unfamiliar vocabulary, I can just glance across the page.  I have read the book of Jonah is Spanish twice recently, and understood most of it, so I am wanting a harder challenge.  I grew up in church, so the Bible is familiar to me.  That helps a lot with comprehension.  

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I started doing Duolingo and that has helped a lot.  I began attending the Bible study toward the end of summer.  The pastor is an native English speaker who is more or less fluent in Spanish.  (He was raised in a Spanish-speaking household.)  He enunciates well and speaks fairly slowly.  I am beginning to have an easier time understanding the native Spanish speakers who attend the study.

For my Spanish reading, I use a Bible that has Spanish and English in side-by-side columns.  If I get stuck or if there is unfamiliar vocabulary, I can just glance across the page.  I have read the book of Jonah is Spanish twice recently, and understood most of it, so I am wanting a harder challenge.  I grew up in church, so the Bible is familiar to me.  That helps a lot with comprehension.  

I have been doing Duolingo for over 2 years now.  Just 1-2 lessons a day but still it is something.  I do have a side by side English/Spanish Bible that I was gifted when we attended a bilingual service once a month (no longer exists).  I am familiar with the Bible so that helps.  I will have to see what is available in our area.

• Like 1

I'm doing the chronological plan, too, but I'm in 1 Kings (so I started in the fall - I'm a little behind).  Already mentioned, but, yes, I have a hard time just reading the Old Testament, but I learned a LOT.  I feel like everything starts to make much more sense once you reach a certain point (specifically, for me, it was when the Jewish people started to ask God for a king - that was eye-opening - and Kings David...Solomon...).   

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

reading the OT one year and the NT the next (so the whole Bible in 2 years).

Another thing you could try some time is getting a One Year Bible but only reading the OT portion the first year and reading the NT and Psalms/Proverbs portions the 2nd year. That would make it even out pretty nicely. They suggest it in the front of the One Year Bible, so the idea isn't original to me, lol.

I hope your new plan works out for you! And if it doesn't or you later want another, there you go. These One Year bibles are so inexpensive, and it's so handy to have it ready to go, with bookmarks even. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's kinda wow! Does your brain blur reading something different each day? I shared it with my friend, as I could see her doing something like that. Me, I'm more idiotproof, open and go, lol.

We shall see!  We haven’t started it yet.  Dh and I are going to do it together.  

• Like 2

I think I’m going to read through the NT.  I have been very negligent with reading the Bible lately, so I think it’s a good way to get started back.  

A few years ago I did a plan where I read the entire Bible in 90 days.  That was intense, but useful for seeing the big picture.  I won’t be doing that again until I don’t have any littles in the house anymore. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Junie said:

I am really enjoying the Spanish Bible study that I am attending.  I realized that I had lost most of my Spanish skills when I couldn't get my older kids through Spanish 2.  (We switched to an ASL class online to complete their foreign language requirements.)

How neat! I need a Spanish/English Bible like you mention! My church has 2 back-to-back services: Spanish and English. I attend both because my teens have a class during the 1st service/Spanish, but I'm a beginner in Spanish and understand very little.  I call it my "ear training hour." 😂 Our church isn't liturgical so there's no communal responses or anything to fall back on for understanding. Just me scrambling on my translating app, haha. 

(Sorry for the tangent...)

• Like 1

Last year I ready chronologically through the entire Bible with The Bible Recap (I HIGHLY recommend this!). This year, I am preparing for a deeper study with Jen Wilkin’s videos. https://www.jenwilkin.net/blog/2019/10/31/how-to-study-the-bible

I will be applying this approach to the She Reads Truth study plans. I have decided to do their subscription box for a few months to see how I like it. I may switch to just the digital version after lent. Their Genesis book is GORGEOUS. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That's kinda wow! Does your brain blur reading something different each day? I shared it with my friend, as I could see her doing something like that. Me, I'm more idiotproof, open and go, lol.

That was my thought as well too.  I personally don't like those plans that have you jumping from OT and NT each day or every other day.  Obviously they work for many people as they are very popular....just not for me.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

25E0C05B-D9BC-485A-9EFB-E6502701C908.jpeg

Been looking for a good plan this year. I like this one!

6 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

I'm going to try (again!) to read the Book of Concord over the next year. For my Bible reading, I follow the daily lectionary.

Have you ever made it through the Book of Concord? If not, where did you get stuck, or what happened? DH is planning on entering Into the colloquy process and we need to read the Book of Concord. Any tips?

1 hour ago, Ema said:

Been looking for a good plan this year. I like this one!

Have you ever made it through the Book of Concord? If not, where did you get stuck, or what happened? DH is planning on entering Into the colloquy process and we need to read the Book of Concord. Any tips?

Last year was the first time I tried to read all the way through. I've read large chunks but never the whole thing. I enjoyed last year's while it lasted, but I fell behind and never caught up.

I like the reading plan here: http://bookofconcord.org/reading-fullyear.php. But I usually follow it using my hard copy of Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions (Reader's Edition). I think the translation is easier to follow than what's provided online, and the editor's notes about the history, etc. help also. 

Congrats to your dh! Hope all goes well. 🙂

Edited by PeachyDoodle
Might help if I spelled the titles correctly...
38 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Last year was the first time I tried to read all the way through. I've read large chunks but never the whole thing. I enjoyed last year's while it lasted, but I fell behind and never caught up.

I like the reading plan here: http://bookofconcord.org/reading-fullyear.php. But I usually follow it using my hard copy of Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions (Reader's Edition). I think the translation is easier to follow than what's provided online, and the editor's notes about the history, etc. help also. 

Congrats to your dh! Hope all goes well. 🙂

Awesome, thanks! Having some sort of reading plan might be helpful! Will look into the hard copy as well. 

4 minutes ago, Ema said:

Awesome, thanks! Having some sort of reading plan might be helpful! Will look into the hard copy as well. 

Sure thing. Here's the copy I have: https://www.cph.org/p-11428-concordia-the-lutheran-confessions-a-readers-edition-of-the-book-of-concord-2nd-edition.aspx?REName=&plk=0&Lk=0&rlk=0

10 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

I'm going to try (again!) to read the Book of Concord over the next year. For my Bible reading, I follow the daily lectionary.

Where do you get the daily lectionary readings from?  I have the Book of Concord and the Treasury of Daily Prayer but sometimes those readings don’t seem to line up with the Sunday readings at church (LCMS).  Is there a printable lectionary somewhere?

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I’ve done this plan twice in the past and I really liked it.  You get used to the rhythm of it and it’s a lot easier to read Leviticus once a week than going through it daily for weeks on end.  
This year I’m planning to use the daily lectionary or read through The Treasury of Daily Prayer readings. 

• Like 2

I have done this daily audio Bible for several years: http://listenersbible.com/devotionals/biy/ It is chronological.

Bible In A Year

This devotional tool is an excellent way to learn the Bible, immerse yourself in the entirety of Scripture and gain spiritual wisdom throughout the entire year. Each day, we will feature a 10- to 15-minute excerpt from The Listener’s Bible (NIV 1984), narrated by Max McLean, which will culminate in a complete reading of the entire Bible over 12 months.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, WoolC said:

Where do you get the daily lectionary readings from?  I have the Book of Concord and the Treasury of Daily Prayer but sometimes those readings don’t seem to line up with the Sunday readings at church (LCMS).  Is there a printable lectionary somewhere?

I usually use the devotionals from Higher Things, which includes the lectionary readings, but if I'm not mistaken, they are in the LSB as well. Our church also prints the readings for the week in the Divine Service bulletin.

• Like 1

I'll be checking out the Forward Day by Day website before getting on social media. They quote a bit of scripture, but link to all the readings for the day in the lectionary. Or I might do She Reads Truth. 

• Like 1

I have decided to use the plan Scarlett posted.  I have read through the One Year Bible several times and have read just random chapters.  I was really close to ordering a chronological one year Bible (I tried chronological before, but it wasn't a translation I like to use) when Scarlett posted.   I will just pull up each reading on my phone.  It has to be easy, something I can read in the light or dark, not an app, and nothing I have to drag from one room to another.  This fits.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I have decided to use the plan Scarlett posted.  I have read through the One Year Bible several times and have read just random chapters.  I was really close to ordering a chronological one year Bible (I tried chronological before, but it wasn't a translation I like to use) when Scarlett posted.   I will just pull up each reading on my phone.  It has to be easy, something I can read in the light or dark, not an app, and nothing I have to drag from one room to another.  This fits.

I am super excited. Dh and I are starting tomorrow. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2
On 12/30/2019 at 10:03 PM, Slache said:

Wow, that's a lot! I'm doing Bible in a year (chronological?) because I'm overwhelmed and need something simple.

I'm doing that one too!

• Like 2

ooh! I just found the coolest tool for this! Bible Study Tools has a bunch of reading plans, and once you register (free) you just click "start" and it pops up the day's reading for you, OR you can listen to it! So if you have the time you can read, and click on verses to highlight them even, but if you are super busy that day you can listen to the audio of the day's readings while doing dishes or folding laundry or whatever! And it checks off each day for you, you just click "finish" at the end of the reading. And you can choose from any translation you want, and switch back and forth between them, change the font, font size, etc!!!!

I love it!

So now I'm going to read through in chronological order like the "cool kids" on here, lol. 

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

ooh! I just found the coolest tool for this! Bible Study Tools has a bunch of reading plans, and once you register (free) you just click "start" and it pops up the day's reading for you, OR you can listen to it! So if you have the time you can read, and click on verses to highlight them even, but if you are super busy that day you can listen to the audio of the day's readings while doing dishes or folding laundry or whatever! And it checks off each day for you, you just click "finish" at the end of the reading. And you can choose from any translation you want, and switch back and forth between them, change the font, font size, etc!!!!

I love it!

So now I'm going to read through in chronological order like the "cool kids" on here, lol. 

I found it....but how do you listen to it? I am on my phone but can't see that button.   It would be handy if I could listen on my commute.

24 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I found it....but how do you listen to it? I am on my phone but can't see that button.   It would be handy if I could listen on my commute.

It looks like only some translations have the listen option. I was checking out the NLT version, and it definitely has a listen option. So does the English Standard Version and the King James Version. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 9.02.55 AM.png

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

Do you all do your reading on a device or an actual Bible? I was amazed at the number of reading plans that youversion offers (including many mentioned here) but I can't imagine reading from it. But then again, I do pick up my phone more than I pick up my Bible (and they send you the day's reading so it's easy) so maybe there is something to it...

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Do you all do your reading on a device or an actual Bible? I was amazed at the number of reading plans that youversion offers (including many mentioned here) but I can't imagine reading from it. But then again, I do pick up my phone more than I pick up my Bible (and they send you the day's reading so it's easy) so maybe there is something to it...

I used an ipad app for several years for my personal reading, but I just went back to print. I like being able to underline, write note in the margin, etc., better with print than in the app, and you get more continuity of place. There's a lot of data showing better learning/retention with print rather than ebooks and etexts, and literally some of it is just that, that the information is in the same place every time, giving you location, visual memory. My friend, whom I just gave a print chrono Bible, had been reading chrono with apps for years and wanted to make the switch back.

So I think do what you want, but there is data that your retention will be better using print, sure. I use an app app for church, because I can make the font larger and because I make notes in a notebook anyway, meaning it doesn't matter. I may change that someday, but for now that's what I'm doing.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 4

I have been telling myself I would get back into regular Bible reading/study in the new year, and here it is; funny how it snuck up. I need to pick a plan. I’ve been working on reading the whole Bible for a couple of years now, sometimes just reading through and sometimes going in-depth, marking off what I’ve read on a chart as I go, so whatever I choose, I’ll pick up with wherever I am on my chart and continue. 

Thank you, Heartwood, for starting this thread, I needed the reminder!

• Like 3

I am reading a one year bible given to me by my dear friends many years ago. They left sticky notes all through it. I just came upon the Christmas one♥️

I am writing thoughts and comments throughout, and have underlined passages, etc. It is for my children after I am gone. I started about 3 years ago and now I am seeing those comments and continuing to pray for now-ex boyfriends and giving thanks for resolutions to prayer requests left in the margins . I would start a new bible or just put new thoughts in a journal, but this has become so precious to me. I love to pick it up and see God's faithfulness through my life. 

20191222_080200.jpg

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 6

I'm going to follow this plan, which is only 180 days. I will also be leading online bible studies this year, so I wanted to choose something that would be flexible on finishing in a year.

https://www.alextran.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Zondervan_-_180_Day_Guided_Tour.pdf

I found this on a website with several plans. 

https://www.alextran.org/23-bible-reading-plans-that-will-satisfy-anyone/

The online studies will be using the free material available here.

https://lovegodgreatly.com/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I love it!

The YouVersion bible app also has reading plans that can be played from the app. You can even adjust the speed. 

• Like 2