Menu

Completely stressed out--applying to colleges-help

Halcyon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ElizabethB said:

You could also consider schools near airport hubs.  Dallas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Seattle, ETC.  Even if it is farther away, a school near an airport hub should have direct flights home.  

Not to derail but I'm confused about airports and hubs.  I had the same thought for my dd- if she is close to an airport, she can get on a plane and fly home with no fuss.  Then I thought, if we pick colleges on the west coats it would be a lovely 1.5 hour ride for her.....WRONG....

BUT, every time I try to see flights from SJC, they're always to PHX or DFW or LAX before going anywhere else. I thought for sure she'd be able to fly from SJC straight to colleges in Utah, and we even got really excited about one university there.  BUT it still requires a layover...then I was like ok well what if we used SFO (which, due to traffic can be up to a 3 hour drive for us depending on time of day even thought we are only like 45 miles away so I hate going there.) but even SFO requires a layover before heading to Salt lake city's airport.  ..Even seattle and even Spokane always take them over to PHX or down to LAX before coming into SJC.  OR even SFO....weird.

Is there a map where we can see where we could get direct flights, from one airport to another?  

Edited to say- we don't care about layovers, and we love air travel as much as anyone could, we go back east every year.  BUT, for west coast colleges the whole point would be to have shorter travel time.  There are a lot more colleges on the east coast.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

Not to derail but I'm confused about airports and hubs.  I had the same thought for my dd- if she is close to an airport, she can get on a plane and fly home with no fuss.  Then I thought, if we pick colleges on the west coats it would be a lovely 1.5 hour ride for her.....WRONG....

BUT, every time I try to see flights from SJC, they're always to PHX or DFW or LAX before going anywhere else. I thought for sure she'd be able to fly from SJC straight to colleges in Utah, and we even got really excited about one university there.  BUT it still requires a layover...then I was like ok well what if we used SFO (which, due to traffic can be up to a 3 hour drive for us depending on time of day even thought we are only like 45 miles away so I hate going there.) but even SFO requires a layover before heading to Salt lake city's airport.  ..Even seattle and even Spokane always take them over to PHX or down to LAX before coming into SJC.  OR even SFO....weird.

Is there a map where we can see where we could get direct flights, from one airport to another?  

Each airline has their own hubs and routes.  If you google "American Airlines routes" or "Delta airline route maps," etc. and click on images, you can get an idea. But, sometimes due to other factors the cheapest light may be crazy anyway.  Also, you can google "Southwest airline hub," changing your search from route to hub to find the hubs that are more likely to have the most direct flights.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

There are also other airport hubs, but they often get snowed in during Christmas break, like Minneapolis St. Paul, Denver, Chicago.  Salt Lake City occasionally gets weathered in, but not as often as those around the Great Lakes, and Denver seems to have problems more often as well, you could probably google shut down/late days by airport if you wanted to know.

Thanks! THis is what partly confused me, because different airlines did come up differently.  We don't do "cheapest tickets" because in general the money we save isn't worth the hassle so we budget for flights and save money elsewhere.  And we do have a favorite airline for sure, for our peanut kid. ...Thanks...this will help.

1 minute ago, ElizabethB said:

There are also other airport hubs, but they often get snowed in during Christmas break, like Minneapolis St. Paul, Denver, Chicago.  Salt Lake City occasionally gets weathered in, but not as often as those around the Great Lakes, and Denver seems to have problems more often as well, you could probably google shut down/late days by airport if you wanted to know.

Right, we learned about that this Christmas break 🙂 Pack food and water, a pillow and blanket and expect delays! Apparently Salt Lake City isn't a hub for AA.  For AA it seems to be PHX...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Edited to say- we don't care about layovers, and we love air travel as much as anyone could, we go back east every year.  BUT, for west coast colleges the whole point would be to have shorter travel time.  There are a lot more colleges on the east coast.

Try Google Flights. I just looked and there were multiple nonstops from SJC to Seattle (for example; I was curious when you mentioned Seattle because I knew Alaska Air flew between the two.)

Editing to say that I see a few nonstops between SJC and SLC on Delta. 🙂 Google Flights is really helpful for getting an idea of airlines to check.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Try Google Flights. I just looked and there were multiple nonstops from SJC to Seattle (for example; I was curious when you mentioned Seattle because I knew Alaska Air flew between the two.)

Editing to say that I see a few nonstops between SJC and SLC on Delta. 🙂 Google Flights is really helpful for getting an idea of airlines to check.

Thanks! Since I was only checking one airline that also explains it.  Apparently my favorite airline takes everyoen to PHX or LAX and then from there to smaller airports.

• Like 1

Have you considered Earlham? I feel that is a potential match for him and the EPIC program seems like a good draw. In addition they don't require the CSS profile which is helpful in your case. 

Honestly I do feel that he has some solid matches in his list academically but it is the financial part that is difficult. Most schools that require the CSS profile are always going to want both parents info. I am a single parent and this was the most difficult part of the process when my kids were applying to schools. You really need to know what you are working with financially in order to make up a solid list of schools. Without this knowledge he really is just applying with blinders on. 

Also you may want to consider schools that are test optional if you feel his ACT score doesn't reflect him as a student. Farrar and I have compilied a list of schools for homeschoolers that can be found here

DS did the FAFSA on my ex's computer with my ex sitting next to him. DS then promptly forgot the password. WHich is why we needed to reach ex for the password (now we have it, so we're good)

THe current FaFsa uses 2018 information. In 2018 we were still married, but living apart, and filed married filed separately as we were in the middle of divorce. So. AFAIK, we did it right, but it's confusing given our marital status. Our divorce wasn't finalized until September 2019.  DS logged into fafsa yesterday and got the EFC and it's very low (not surprising since my ex's self employed income was very low that year but he expects it to jump a lot this year--surprise surprise *cough insert comment about spouse's showing little income during a year of divorce *cough cough) . It's low, but my guess is it would be even lower if it were just my income we were reporting. 

If he ends up getting into a fafsa only school that he wants to attend and the aid isn't good enough, I will appeal, and explain the situation.  My guess is this happens sometimes (a divorce in the middle of applying for aid). He is applying to a few "fafsa only schools" including Sarah Lawrence, Guilford, Knox, Goucher and Eckerd.  I do believe that the latter 4 of these are both financial and academic safeties.   And I think four is an okay number (i'd prefer 6, but there ya go.)

For the CSS schools that we are applying to, all require both parents information.

So, in sum, our situation is confusing on the financial front. I think we'll have to wait and see how everything falls out and take it from there. All I can do is my best (while maintaining my mental sanity).  For those of you commenting on how my ex hyped out-of-reach colleges to my son (and took him on a visit trip to said colleges)...um...yes, it's very frustrating. Very. Did I mention very? Divorcing and applying to college for the first time in the same (ish) year is highly NOT recommended. 😶

thanks for all your help, everyone. It will all be okay. 

Re Earlham-I very much want my son to apply there. He does not. So we shall see. Thank you.

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 3

question--if a college uses CSS, do they NOT use the fafsa? I'm a little confused because for his Sophomore year (assuming he attends a css school) the FAFSA will be just MY information, and the CSS will continue to require BOTH parents info. ANyone know how CSS schools evaluate need when they're looking at both documents? 

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

You have to look at the specific airline. Regionals tend to be dominated by a single airline. For example, when I was in college in New England, the closest airport was Hartford. All the flights were... gosh, I can't even remember, but they were one airline, like US Airways or something back then. I grew up near RDU. Nearly all the flights there then were American, I think. It was even a hub for them. So two relatively large airports, one a hub. But flying between the two was just impossible for a reasonable cost. So I always had to go to Boston or just hitch a ride. Basically, you have to look at each one individually - what the airport and associated airline(s) on each end. Sometimes they'll match and other times they won't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

question--if a college uses CSS, do they NOT use the fafsa? I'm a little confused because for his Sophomore year (assuming he attends a css school) the FAFSA will be just MY information, and the CSS will continue to require BOTH parents info. ANyone know how CSS schools evaluate need when they're looking at both documents? 

Thanks!

Every college we applied to that required the CSS also required the FAFSA information.  I think that is just for completeness.  If you haven't done the CSS, if I remember correctly it will ask questions beyond the FAFSA. Like some asked what kind of cars we drive.  🙄  Living large in my kia over here.  They will absolutely use non-custodial parent income to compute your number if it is asked for on the CSS so I'd stay away from those options.   Many divorced couples I know who've gone through this process have also been selected for verification afterwards and had to supply more information/paperwork too.  

1 hour ago, Halcyon said:

Thanks!

Not entirely sure and it may vary by school. My current college student's school does not use CSS, but they have their own form that is similar. They require that "CSS-like" form plus the FAFSA. I think to offer federal aid they may need to go through the FAFSA, but not entirely sure about that part.

I would personally be wary about basing attendance at a school on need-based aid unless you are quite certain that your financial picture won't change. I'm actually surprised to hear that there are still schools that will only go by custodial parent's income.

• Like 2

That FAFSA EFC really doesn't mean anything except to determine if you're eligible for Federal grants. Beyond that, what schools want to award is entirely up to them. Meet need schools are supposed to come close, but that wasn't our experience. They come up with their own EFC. And of course financial aid varies every year, so if your ex did well in 2019, you'll be eligible for less aid your son's sophomore year, if he attends a CSS school. Will ex be willing to pay more? Merit's at least a sure thing - as long as the student keeps up any necessary gpa. I hate to be a downer, but my d had to leave a school she loved after a year due to a change in financial aid, and it was horrible.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Every college we applied to that required the CSS also required the FAFSA information.  I think that is just for completeness.  If you haven't done the CSS, if I remember correctly it will ask questions beyond the FAFSA. Like some asked what kind of cars we drive.  🙄  Living large in my kia over here.  They will absolutely use non-custodial parent income to compute your number if it is asked for on the CSS so I'd stay away from those options.   Many divorced couples I know who've gone through this process have also been selected for verification afterwards and had to supply more information/paperwork too.  

that's what i figured. I've already been asked for more info by two colleges for the CSS, so I'm prepared. thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Not entirely sure and it may vary by school. My current college student's school does not use CSS, but they have their own form that is similar. They require that "CSS-like" form plus the FAFSA. I think to offer federal aid they may need to go through the FAFSA, but not entirely sure about that part.

I would personally be wary about basing attendance at a school on need-based aid unless you are quite certain that your financial picture won't change. I'm actually surprised to hear that there are still schools that will only go by custodial parent's income.

I know my financial picture will only change a little, but my ex's will change pretty dramatically, and always has for years. He's self employed and income fluctuates a lot for him. (I'm self employed too, but different, more predictable, income)

3 hours ago, whitestavern said:

That FAFSA EFC really doesn't mean anything except to determine if you're eligible for Federal grants. Beyond that, what schools want to award is entirely up to them. Meet need schools are supposed to come close, but that wasn't our experience. They come up with their own EFC. And of course financial aid varies every year, so if your ex did well in 2019, you'll be eligible for less aid your son's sophomore year, if he attends a CSS school. Will ex be willing to pay more? Merit's at least a sure thing - as long as the student keeps up any necessary gpa. I hate to be a downer, but my d had to leave a school she loved after a year due to a change in financial aid, and it was horrible.

Yes, i have warned DS about this. Once everything falls out, I will clearly go over all the issues again. Thanks

8 hours ago, Halcyon said:

DS did the FAFSA on my ex's computer with my ex sitting next to him. DS then promptly forgot the password. WHich is why we needed to reach ex for the password (now we have it, so we're good)

THe current FaFsa uses 2018 information. In 2018 we were still married, but living apart, and filed married filed separately as we were in the middle of divorce. So. AFAIK, we did it right, but it's confusing given our marital status. Our divorce wasn't finalized until September 2019.  DS

Did you even bother to read the link that RootAnn posted?

What to Do If Your Parents’ (or Your) Marital Status Has Changed Since Taxes Were Filed

Here are some tips for this type of situation using the example of the 2020–21 FAFSA form:

• The FAFSA form asks for marital status “as of today” (the day it’s filled out). So if the student or parent is married now but wasn’t in 2018 (and therefore didn’t file taxes as married), the spouse’s 2018 income will need to be added to the FAFSA form.
  • Similarly, if the student or parent filed 2018 taxes as married but is no longer married when filling out the FAFSA form, the spouse’s income will need to be subtracted.
  • And if the student or parent was married when filing 2018 taxes, then got divorced and is now married to someone else, there’s a bit more math to do: Subtract the ex’s income, then add the new spouse’s income.

23 hours ago, Halcyon said:

Thanks!

They use both. Everyone's going to want a FAFSA because that determines eligibility for federal aid and they want to make sure you get all of that before they use institutional funds. But they'll use the CSS for their own calculations because it gives a more complete financial picture. My son's school only requires CSS the first year and FAFSA only for returning students. This made me incredibly happy, but I do wonder how they handle things for students with divorced parents.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, whitestavern said:

Everyone should read this entire post at least 3 times.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...