Menu

Culinary Arts

DS (nearly 7) & I will be spending about an hour 1-2x a week on culinary arts next semester, in addition to standard “helping mom in the kitchen” stuff.

Day 1 will involve a lab about telling common substances apart, followed by turning heavy cream into both whipped cream & butter. 

After that we’ve come up with a list of foods that can be made within an hour (not including unattended time spent marinating, chilling, or rising), but we still need a handful of ideas... what else would be a good skill-builder recipe?? 

On the list: Scrambled Eggs, Fried Rice,  Wonton Dumplings, Tortillas, Baked Tortilla Chips + Bean Dip, Crustless Quiche, Birthday Cake, Baked Cinnamon Apples, Yeast Bread, Meatballs, Potato Soup, French Bread, Chocolate Snack Cake, Pizza (scratch dough), Hard-Boiled Eggs, Fettuccini Noodles, Alfredo Sauce, Bolognese Sauce, Ice Cream (in a bag), Baked Doughnuts, Meringues, Mousse, Cheese Fondue...

22 minutes ago, maize said:

Maybe rather than presenting a new recipe every week you could spend a few weeks on the same recipe, gradually working up to him making it on his own? Skill-building comes from repetition.

Some items, like eggs & breads, we’ll be making routinely “outside of school” after they are formally introduced. Others, like dumplings & meatballs, we’ll make less frequently but in freezer-size quantities. Mostly the focus for him is building knife skills, measuring skills, & the habit of keeping a clean workspace - which can happen with a wide variety of recipes.

He tends to be really resistant to repetition, but if it’s only a few days throughout the semester I may be able to get away with that by having him choose his favorite of the previous few recipes to repeat! 😊

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

47 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Grilled cheese sandwiches. It’s fun to play with different combinations of cheeses, whether to add herbs, or other variations. Because of the variations, it can be done repeatedly without feeling repetitive.

How funny - I had this on my list initially, but eliminated it. You’ve convinced me. It’ll be excellent practice for using the grater (which currently intimidates him).

Potato soup was largely included for the same reason (fear of the peeler), so perhaps something else that involves peeling / grating as well? Carrot cake or zucchini bread perhaps? 🤔

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I am in awe. My nearly 13 year old can't make anything in less than an hour. I've seen her take an hour and a half to make a salad. 

Only time will tell how successful our endeavors are! Several of the recipes (dumplings, pasta, etc) I’ve split across two working days. I’ve also included a couple of “stretch goal” recipes in our list, that can be replaced by simpler things if necessary.

I’m excited to see how he does! He has always loved being in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

Pasta. Ha! Dd made ravioli for the first time the other day as a Christmas present for a family friend. She started at about 9am, they came around at lunch time, had to leave at 2, and she finally finished at 5.  We ended up having to drive an hour and a half to their place to deliver them, rofl.

I'd add pizza crust to the list. It's easy and tasty. I make enough so I can bake some slightly (about 6 minutes) and freeze for emergency meals later.  This is the recipe I use (I add garlic power, Italian Seasoning, sometimes King Arthur's pizza flavoring - various amount as I want), and it is easy and a good starting place for kids. It also makes excellent bread sticks and calzones. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renai said:

Cooking with Kids has some resources to start off. We had it in our schools, and the kids made all kinds of foods in a short period of time. I think there are simple recipes on this site: https://cookingwithkids.org/

These look great! The majority of sites I’ve found dedicated to kids’ cooking have been assembly projects - put fruit on a skewer, combine these dry ingredients into a “snack mix”, etc. It’s nice to see one with actual RECIPES!  

• Like 1