Menu

Exercise "curriculum"?

So my kids want to have a more formal exercise program. They don't want to just play outside. They like the fitness DVDs we have (Power 90) but we have to be there to make sure their posture is right, so and so gets help next, they can't do it as fast and so a 20-30 minute DVD takes 40-50.

We have a larger backyard but it is rocky/weedy. anything on the ground has to be done inside. we have a soccer ball. We are 15 minutes away from a park and I'm not willing to do that drive on a daily basis since we have 4-8 hours weekly in a car already. There is no good area to bike in our neighborhood. 

Are there exercise DVDs for kids that you guys have used and liked? Or an exercise program/list of exercisese to do outside that seems more wellrounded than "run around for 10 minutes"?

TIA! 

• Like 1

We started doing PE a couple of years ago.  I went to the sports store and bought a bunch of sports equipment - basketballs, some baseball gloves and new baseballs, a playground ball (for kickball and 4-Square), a set for disc golf, some pickle ball sets....cones, a soccer ball, a volleyball.  We've been trying to do PE together at the park with another family on Friday afternoons for a couple of hours.  No curriculum, really informal and just working on motor skills.  My kids have loved it.  I'm going to try to start back up again on Friday if the weather is ok.

Is something like that possible?  I did get a Homeschool PE book from the library and it had all kinds of games you could play with just a couple of kids...I can't remember the name of the book, but you could look around on Amazon if that would help.  I have 5 kids and the other family has 2, so that's basically 8-9 of us playing games (so I didn't need the book).

Oh, yeah, biking around the neighborhood.  We do that, too, for PE.

8 hours ago, Evanthe said:

We started doing PE a couple of years ago.  I went to the sports store and bought a bunch of sports equipment - basketballs, some baseball gloves and new baseballs, a playground ball (for kickball and 4-Square), a set for disc golf, some pickle ball sets....cones, a soccer ball, a volleyball.  We've been trying to do PE together at the park with another family on Friday afternoons for a couple of hours.  No curriculum, really informal and just working on motor skills.  My kids have loved it.  I'm going to try to start back up again on Friday if the weather is ok.

Is something like that possible?  I did get a Homeschool PE book from the library and it had all kinds of games you could play with just a couple of kids...I can't remember the name of the book, but you could look around on Amazon if that would help.  I have 5 kids and the other family has 2, so that's basically 8-9 of us playing games (so I didn't need the book).

Oh, yeah, biking around the neighborhood.  We do that, too, for PE.

Thanks, these are all good ideas. Unfortunately, they want a structured program every day, less "play" and more "exercise" if that makes any sense. 

When my kids signed up for a Spartan Race, they could download a training schedule. It's mostly body weight workouts with a 1/4 mile jog at the end. It's nice to have a list to follow, and there are different lists based on age and ability.

You do have to give them your info to get it though.

https://www.spartan.com/en/fitness-training/training-plans

There are free apps that take you through a 7 minute or 10 minute workout.  Most of the time they don't require any equipment.  You can also find kid workout youtube videos or at the library.  I think those would be the simplest way to have PE each day.