Menu

What's with the ads?

KungFuPanda

Tips for deodorizing your home quickly?

I made an epic cooking blunder.  I pressure cooked a pork roast without enough liquid.  The stuff that dripped under the meat rack burned so badly that it permeated the meat and made it inedible.  My house smells horrible and it's HOURS later.  I've removed the meat, trash, and pot from the house.  I've opened windows, turned on fans, and lit candles.  I'm simmering rosemary, orange, and vanilla. 

It's better than it was but that horrible charred smell is lingering.  I think I need to wash my hair again and the smell is melted into my nose. Any pro tips for this?  It's been a looong time since I've had such an epic cooking failure and I don't think I've ever poisoned the air in the house so much.  My poor sensitive nose is very uncomfortable.  I do not have any Febreeze in the house, would it be worth it to get some and spray down all of the drapes, carpets, and upholstered furniture when we go to bed? 

I will never live this down.

Smell Absorbers like baking soda, kitty litter, may help, open cans of coffee can both absorb and cover up, bucket with vinegar in it...

33 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

If you have central air, change the filters! (Ask me how I know, haha!)

Febreeze might help. 

And turn the control for the Fan to ON instead of auto. At least on mine I can do that - there is the thermostat control that can be On/off/auto and then a separate FAN control with the same options. Put the fan to ON so it continues to run the air through the house and the filter. 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

If you have central air, change the filters! (Ask me how I know, haha!)

Febreeze might help. 

I did not think about changing the filters!  Maybe I'll try one of those air fresheners that you put ON your filter!

55 minutes ago, Pen said:

Smell Absorbers like baking soda, kitty litter, may help, open cans of coffee can both absorb and cover up, bucket with vinegar in it...

Do I just leave baking soda open like in the fridge?

28 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

And turn the control for the Fan to ON instead of auto. At least on mine I can do that - there is the thermostat control that can be On/off/auto and then a separate FAN control with the same options. Put the fan to ON so it continues to run the air through the house and the filter. 

My fan does have an ON setting.  I flipped it on earlier and opened all of the windows.  The one piece of luck I've had today was the unseasonably warm weather.  I think it hit 60 today, but it's back in the 40s now and my family closed all of the windows.  Nobody was on board with my "just snuggle" plan.

• Like 1

When I had a bacon grease fire Thanksigiving weekend I started a thread.  I had baking soda on hand so I put it out in several little dishes and had them around the main living area.   I also had some apple juice and simmered that with cinnamon and a slice of orange on the stove-top.   

Both those worked well. 

IIRC - someone else recommended putting out vinegar in little cups.  I'll go look for the thread now... 

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I'd probably wipe down the kitchen counters/cabinets/walls with a pine sol solution as well. 

But that's WORK.  Ugh.  You're probably right.

31 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

When I had a bacon grease fire Thanksigiving weekend I started a thread.  I had baking soda on hand so I put it out in several little dishes and had them around the main living area.   I also had some apple juice and simmered that with cinnamon and a slice of orange on the stove-top.   

Both those worked well. 

IIRC - someone else recommended putting out vinegar in little cups.  I'll go look for the thread now... 

OK, I read that whole thread.  I've got a homemade carpet fresh (baking soda, borax, and essential oil) down for the night.  I'll put out some vinegar bowls for the night when college girl goes to bed.  She can't hack vinegar smell.  I even changed my furnace filter for the first time ever and learned that I'm not great at it.  I'll have to send dh in to fix double check my work.

• Like 1

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I bought an ozone machine from Amazon that takes smells away. Bear with me because it's been a long time since researching, but I *think* ozone machines generate something similar to chlorine. It does a great job getting rid of smells  I loan it out to others when I can because I hate to see anyone spend money for a one time deal. I do my teen boys room (ugh) ever so often , so I'm totally glad I own one.

$70 and this is what I own:. https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-MA5000-Commercial-Generator-Deodorizer/dp/B0795P2674/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=ozone+machine&qid=1577589839&sprefix=ozone+ma&sr=8-4

Edited by IfIOnly

22 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I bought an ozone machine from Amazon that takes smells away. Bear with me because it's been a long time since researching, but I *think* ozone machines generate something similar to chlorine. It does a great job getting rid of smells  I loan it out to others when I can because I hate to see anyone spend money for a one time deal. I do my teen boys room (ugh) ever so often , so I'm totally glad I own one.

$70 and this is what I own:. https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-MA5000-Commercial-Generator-Deodorizer/dp/B0795P2674/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=ozone+machine&qid=1577589839&sprefix=ozone+ma&sr=8-4

I'm way too cheap for that now, but just the idea that this thing exists makes me super happy.  I'd have to research it, but the results have to be more pleasant than the 30 scents I had going in my house last night.  

21 hours ago, shinyhappypeople said:

Spray plain vinegar like you would air freshener.  It should kill quite a bit of the charred odor and the vinegar smell fades pretty quickly.

I didn't have a spray bottle, but I did set out bowls of white vinegar yesterday.  Today the smell is almost gone.

2 hours ago, NorthwestMom said:

I have relied on these for years: https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Air-Sponge-Absorbing-Neutralant/dp/B001SBMLAM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3MDO3S1G9O7FA&keywords=bad+smell+eliminator&qid=1577662161&sprefix=bad+smell%2Caps%2C301&sr=8-4

The container is tacky but it does a great job removing odors and it is non-spillable.

I didn't want to buy anything, but this did send me down a diy bunny trail so i have the homemade version sitting out.

For those of you keeping score at home, I have almost eliminated the offending smell.  My boys say it's gone.  I think it's only almost gone.  Remember how I changed my furnace filter for the first time last night? It turns out that if you don't put the cover on right, your furnace doesn't kick on.  I did not notice until this morning because it was so warm and I slept on a heated mattress pad.  It was a bit chilly here this a.m.!  Between vinegar, baking soda, essential oils, cleaning my kitchen drain, counters, and cabinets, and simmering citrus and rosemary, and carpet fresh it's almost undetectable tonight.  I even found a furnace filter air freshener that I never used before because I didn't know how to change the filter until last night. 😬 I'm beginning to think some of the charred smell is just permanently burned into my nose.  Thanks for your help.  I'm glad that baking soda and vinegar are such work horses in the odor department!

• Like 2

I want to know about this carpet refresh. Do you just vacuum it up the next day? Does the oil not stain?

as a matter of course, I clean with many drops of peppermint essential oil (I’m convinced it keeps mice away). My people always start sneezing after I clean, it’s strong smell. 

If you still want to eliminate lingering traces of offending smell: dip cotton balls in peppermint essential oil (eucalyptus oil works as well) and leave them out in bowls on your kitchen counters and living areas. Your house will smell minty and not smoky after 48 hours.

18 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I want to know about this carpet refresh. Do you just vacuum it up the next day? Does the oil not stain?

as a matter of course, I clean with many drops of peppermint essential oil (I’m convinced it keeps mice away). My people always start sneezing after I clean, it’s strong smell. 

It was just equal parts borax and baking soda with several drops of essential oil.  I used bergamot. I put it in a jar, shook it up, then sprinkled.  I didn't vacuum it up until the next day.  What didn't get sprinkled became the homemade odor absorber because I just left it open and out and it was the same recipe.  I didn't see any spots because of the oil, but my carpet is old so I'm not sure that it would even show up.  It gets absorbed into the white stuff. You could do it without the oils if you want a scent-free odor absorber that won't annoy your people. I've just sprinkled baking soda before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1