Menu

What's for dinner?

Elizabeth86

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I don't know.  We were supposed to go to my family's Christmas dinner celebration tonight so I didn't plan for anything.  And I planned to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I don't have a lot here at the house. 

I guess I better pull out my books.  I don't really want to go to the store today, it's already 10am, and that's later than I prefer to go.  But we are out of milk, almost out of eggs, out of chicken, bananas, etc etc etc.

Blah.

Are you not going now? Did you try the rolls this morning?

Meals on this week's plan:

Spaghetti with meat sauce (and trying to make King Arthur Flour's No-Knead Crusty White Bread in my new ceramic stew pot)
Gumbo with chicken and andouille (I had some for the first time in a restaurant earlier this month and it was so good--will try Emeril's recipe in same new pot)
Steak tacos (leftover steak from Christmas from the freezer)
Vegan black bean soup, pigs in blankets, pizza roll up things for New Year's Eve
Dinner at BIL and SIL's house toward the end of the week.

Last night I made chicken soup with the carcass from the Christmas chicken.

Coming the next few days:

• Sticky sesame cauliflower; peas with ginger
  • French bowls (red potatoes, green beans, some tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, a garlic-lemon-thyme drizzle)
  • West African peanut soup (unless I change my mind, as there has been a lot of soup recently)
  • Cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes with cranberries, a salad, and beans
  • Like 1

Dishwasher not functional so it is in the garage awaiting repairs. Hot water in the kitchen is therefore turned off. So --- whatever we can find here that requires NO dishes or driving somewhere to pick something up. Appliances should NOT fail the week of Christmas! 

But, if that wasn't an issue, we always have eggs, bacon, biscuits, and smoothies for supper on Saturday night. Family tradition - every member makes one thing. It's a family activity. No one complains. Kids did say they missed it when they went to college! 

• Like 1

This is a great winter recipe that we really like and I will be making with chicken sausage sometime this weekend:

https://www.intuitivesafetysolutions.com/harvest-sausage-and-apple-stuffed-acorn-squash/

Another favorite here is the NY Times chicken shawarma. We just finished the yummy leftovers from Christmas Eve.

https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma-nytimes-25412

• Like 1

Everyone else sounds so exotic compared to our Saturday night dinner!

Grilled cheese and tomato soup for DH & DD17

Leftover biscuits made into egg and cheese sandwiches for DS

Leftover italian bread made into French toast for DD13

Leftover tater tot casserole for me, with baby carrots on the side. 

Not exotic but I think I emptied about 8 dishes out of my refrigerator!! So pleased about using up leftovers 🙂 

• Like 4

It has been probably years since I've posted anything here even though I read almost every day, but I am trying to be more social for 2020. Even if online! Everything I cook has to be vegan and gluten-free, so I cook a LOT!. Tonight was sesame noodles w/ tofu & veg. Tomorrow is, hopefully, BBQ bean "meatballs," mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli, and a basic salad. 

Oh, and dessert tonight (don't usually do dessert, but it's holidays still) is apple pie that smells AMAZING while it's cooking. I don't eat sweets, but the scent is intoxicating; I think they will love it!

• Like 3

Just finished my menu plan for the next couple weeks:

BBQ lentil sloppy joes with slaw & oven fries

7-layer Mexican dip

Vegan Zuppa Toscana

Orange veggie stir fry

Five bean chili

Red curry pumpkin soup

Sweet potato taco bowls

Vegan Salisbury steak (with cremini mushrooms) over mashed potatoes

Roasted poblano potato stew

Oil-free garlic sticky noodles

16 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Last night I made chicken soup with the carcass from the Christmas chicken.

Coming the next few days:

• Sticky sesame cauliflower; peas with ginger
  • French bowls (red potatoes, green beans, some tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, a garlic-lemon-thyme drizzle)
  • West African peanut soup (unless I change my mind, as there has been a lot of soup recently)
  • Cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes with cranberries, a salad, and beans

Wow - can I get that recipe?  I love sweet potatoes but need new ways to cook them!

• Like 1

I'm very inspired by all of you cooks!  I'm a late learner as far as cooking, but really enjoy it now -- only my kids are now mostly out of the home!  How would you manage cooking all these great things with only 2 or 3 people to eat everything?  Would you serve half / freeze half?

How would you manage cooking all these great things with only 2 or 3 people to eat everything?  Would you serve half / freeze half?

Smaller portions, mandatory leftovers for lunch, and repurpose as much as possible for later meals. Freezing never works for me, we never want to thaw things out.

J-Rap, have you tried hasselbacking your sweet potatoes yet?

I don't feel like cooking so the next few nights are easy and mostly done in the oven.

Tonight was panko breaded chicken cutlets, small red potatoes, and asparagus all baked in oven. Tomorrow is salmon with a garlic butter sauce (wrapped in foil) in the oven, rice in rice cooker, and I'll probably toss some broccoli in the oven as well, or I'll steam it in microwave. New Year's Eve will be all finger food/appetizers and super easy as well. I don't have anything planned for NYD yet so I need to figure it out.

52 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Selkie, from the tackle thread, do you make veggie burgers or buy frozen?  If you make them, what are your favorite recipes, if you don't mind?  And do you have a link for the sloppy joes?

Here is the the sloppy joes recipe:

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/vegan-bbq-lentil-sloppy-joes/

I usually make veggie burgers and this book is my favorite source for recipes:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vegan-Burgers-Burritos-Delicious-Everyday/dp/1624144799/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=vegan+burgers+and+burritos&qid=1577669255&sr=8-1

There are 20+ burger recipes, and every one we've tried has been excellent!

Yesterday's burrito bowls are today's taco salad.  I'm boring like that.  

Now that I've posted, I'm gonna go back and read this whole thread to steal ideas.  I have the makings of one hot dog meal and one chicken parmesan meal before I have to do another round of menu planning and shopping.  

Tonight was tacos

this week will be chicken, mushroom, and orzo crockpot meal (new to me recipe)

spinach salad with feta, pecans, dried cranberries, quinoa, and strawberry balsamic vinaigrette 

bbq chicken, corn on the cob (frozen from this summer’s harvest), and salad

Thanks to this post I got my brain around this weeks menu, cleaned my fridge, shopped, have two kinds of beans soaking, and am now loaded up with a week’s worth of veggie-heavy meals. I only spent $50 too, so I owe you all for motivating me when I was trying to goof off online.