Menu

What's with the ads?

CuriousMomof3

Singapore Math In Focus

You should be able to sample it online on the HmHco site http://samples.hmhco.com/math_in_focus/index.php

If your children have not done Singapore math before, they might need to back up a bit.  

Normally 4th grade would be books 4A and 4B

It gets complicated when you get to 6th grade. MIF has a three year Pre-Algebra sequence starting in 6th (courses 1, 2 and 3). So 7th would technically be Course 2. However, for my kids, we went through Course 1 and then did Dolciani Pre-Algebra. I didn't feel they needed three years of Pre-Algebra. 

Edited by cintinative

5 hours ago, cintinative said:

You should be able to sample it online on the HmHco site http://samples.hmhco.com/math_in_focus/index.php

If your children have not done Singapore math before, they might need to back up a bit.  

Normally 4th grade would be books 4A and 4B

It gets complicated when you get to 6th grade. MIF has a three year Pre-Algebra sequence starting in 6th (courses 1, 2 and 3). So 7th would technically be Course 2. However, for my kids, we went through Course 1 and then did Dolciani Pre-Algebra. I didn't feel they needed three years of Pre-Algebra. 

They are using it now in school and will use it again when they go back so I am hoping we can just pick ho where they left off.

• Like 1

You would need the uns and pws from your local school district to access the online Student Textbook, Student Workbook,background videos and virtual manipulatives for each grade level.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

You're trying to match this up to a school program? Especially for the 7th grader, is the school actually using MiF for that grade? Because that surprises me. As pointed out above - it's different in middle school.

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

You're trying to match this up to a school program? Especially for the 7th grader, is the school actually using MiF for that grade? Because that surprises me. As pointed out above - it's different in middle school.

Yes, I am sure, he brings the books home to do homework.  They have ability grouping and the higher group uses something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The school uses paper tests and physical manipulatives, and that’s what I’d like to stick with.  

Could I buy this for each kid and some manipulatives?

https://www.christianbook.com/math-focus-grade-4-homeschool-package/9780544129467/pd/129469?event=Homeschool|1006391

ETA: this kit does not include a teacher book. If you only need the answer key, this is fine. I didn't use the teacher books for much other than that, but I am mathy.

You would I guess need the Course 2 kit for your 7th grader. I would check his text (if he brings the book home).  The texts are not different for homeschool versus public school. So you would probably want his textbook and the teacher book for answers.  

For the 4th grade set, there are workbooks. The Course 2 does not have a workbook other than "extra practice" or "reteach", etc.  I did not really use a workbook for Course 1, so my guess is you won't need one.  

So for grade 4:

4A and 4B texts

4A and 4B Teacher Text ( I didn't use it, but I think it is one book for both) ETA: or the answer key I guess?

4A and 4B workbooks 

I did not use the assessments books until Course 1.  You may want those also.

------

For grade 7 (assuming Course 2):

Course 2A and 2B  student texts

Course 2 teacher text

Course 2 Assessments

I would *really* make sure you have a good idea of where they are in the texts before you start at home.  

Edited by cintinative

I know where they are, I have the A books because they brought them home for break, and I know what assignment they finished on. 

I assume I need the B books, and the teacher manual for 7th, maybe not for 4th and the 4th grade manipulative pack?

I have emails in to the teachers for details.

Singapore mathhas a different teaching method/sequence. It is similar to common core, so if you are familiar with the teaching side there you can probably figure it out just from the student book. If not, there is a inexpensive class on Ed2Go available through a lot of community colleges that I found useful (and qualifies for recertification hours in most states)-It's definitely cheaper than buying multiple teacher's manuals. (At least, it was for the regular Singapore Math). 

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

Singapore mathhas a different teaching method/sequence. It is similar to common core, so if you are familiar with the teaching side there you can probably figure it out just from the student book. If not, there is a inexpensive class on Ed2Go available through a lot of community colleges that I found useful (and qualifies for recertification hours in most states)-It's definitely cheaper than buying multiple teacher's manuals. (At least, it was for the regular Singapore Math). 

All of my math teaching experience has been in public schools,  although most of it is with easier content,  but I'm good with Common Core.  However if having the teacher's manuals will make it easier, I'll probably spring for them.  I've got other things on my plate, so taking a course, even an easy inexpensive one, is probably not going to happen right now.  

I have the kids' books.  They are both right at the end of A.  My guess is their teachers will let us keep the A books until they go back, s o I can probably just buy the B books.  

I did not feel I needed the teacher books for the books through 5th grade. I did buy the answer key book for 5th I believe, though I didn't need it much. I did not use MIF at the middle school level. 

10 hours ago, sbgrace said:

I did not feel I needed the teacher books for the books through 5th grade. I did buy the answer key book for 5th I believe, though I didn't need it much. I did not use MIF at the middle school level. 

Thanks.

The 4th grader’s teacher emailed that she is happy to give me the B textbook and workbook.  It sounds like the principal signed off on that, so my guess is 7th grade teacher will do the same. 

So then I guess I need manipulatives?  

• Like 1