Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Gah! Practice first!

My family's Christmas get together is tomorrow.  Normally it's pretty basic with ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc  but it was decided this year that it was going to be spaghetti and lasagna.  Which is fine, we all love it.  This kind of changes sides, and that's ok too.

I said I would bring garlic Parmesan rolls.  I had a recipe in mind.  My sister usually brings rolls but they have encountered a series of medical issues so are going super simple...............and this is all ok.

Anyway, I had a plan for the rolls.  Realized *TODAY* at like 6pm that I don't have the right pan for the plan.  I talked to my mom, she's like "just make breadsticks instead of rolls.'  Ok, great, dough is ready, make breadsticks...........................they are bad.  No explanation necessary, just bad.

It's 9pm.  We are having Italian tomorrow and it's like rolls are required.  I can't just sub in something like a veggie plate from the store.  (which, btw.....this is me, my family won't care.)  I can run another batch but there are 13 of us....I need at least 24 rolls or breadsticks.  

*sigh*  If I had practiced first since this is a recipe I had NEVER done.....I would have realized my issue 2 weeks ago.  Now..................I dunno.  

I suppose that if worst comes to worst, I have 2 tubes of Pillsbury cresents, so there's something.  But I really wanted rolls.  And, we leave at 11am.

Practice first!

• Sad 1

File under "minor disasters that do not cause the sky to fall" 🙂

I can empathize with the frustration though.

Edited by maize

If you can run to the store, you can get frozen bread dough -- I use Rhodes brand. Place it in a pan overnight in the fridge, and in the morning, it will be thawed, and you can let it rise and bake.

You can shape it into knots or breadsticks, or whatever, before you let it rise tomorrow. There should be some directions for options on the back of the package.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

I'd head to the grocery store and get some frozen breadsticks and use those. Or get the bag of garlic knots that you heat in the oven. It will be okay. The event is about family and getting together, right? The food is secondary, isn't it? 

But it is annoying when a recipe doesn't work like you had planned. 

• Like 1

My go-to dinner roll recipe - 24 glorious balls of yummy gluten, done in under 2 hours! We had these yesterday with beef stew.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/big-batch-quick-dinner-rolls-recipe

I sub 1 cup of the AP flour for whole wheat, and add 2 tbsp of honey. You could brush with melted butter/garlic powder/parmesan when they come out of the oven?

ETA: They give multiple pan options at the end of the recipe!

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I suppose that if worst comes to worst, I have 2 tubes of Pillsbury cresents, so there's something.  But I really wanted rolls.  And, we leave at 11am.

Worse case, slice these, place on the pan with a little butter and garlic salt and bake 😁.

4 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

My go-to dinner roll recipe - 24 glorious balls of yummy gluten, done in under 2 hours! We had these yesterday with beef stew.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/big-batch-quick-dinner-rolls-recipe

I sub 1 cup of the AP flour for whole wheat, and add 2 tbsp of honey. You could brush with melted butter/garlic powder/parmesan when they come out of the oven?

Ok, this is literally exactly the type of thing I was hoping someone would share.   This is very close to the recipe I had in mind, but it's a shortened version than will work for tomorrow morning.   I needed to tweak the recipe because of drive time but really, this recipe includes exactly the tweaks I needed.  THANK YOU!  I am going to work these in the morning ( I will be up early anyway for other reasons) and if they don't work, my tubes of cresents will be a great last resort.

THANK YOU again.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I'd head to the grocery store and get some frozen breadsticks and use those. Or get the bag of garlic knots that you heat in the oven. It will be okay. The event is about family and getting together, right? The food is secondary, isn't it? 

But it is annoying when a recipe doesn't work like you had planned. 

Yes, the event is about family and getting together.   I could literally show up with nothing and explain that everything got screwed up and no one would care.  Toss the tubes of cresent rolls in and it's all good.  We are totally flexible like that.

This really is all about the recipe I had in mind and it didn't work and my dumb butt that didn't practice first lol.  I wanted this to work cause it looked so yummy.....I should have practiced first lol

9 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

There's also a blog post that goes along with the recipe - with pictures and other tips. I like to read through the comments, too, if I have time.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/11/18/big-batch-yeast-rolls-baking-buns-for-a-crowd

I will check all this out.  I like the idea of doing this tonight and then checking it tomorrow........It's almost 10 tonight.  I have 20 minutes to think lol

• Like 1

Buy a couple loaves of italian or french bread.  Slice in half.  Per loaf, soften 1 stick of butter, mix with 2-3  cloves minced garlic, some dried basil, oregano, a little olive oil to thin.  Can add a little cheese but not necessary.  Toast in the oven.  Cut in diagonals to have garlic toast.  I usually buy a par bake type loaf when i do this and bake for 10 min at 350, then broil for 1-2 min until the tops get golden.  If its fully cooked bread, just toast the top, then can heat when you get to your destination.

• Like 2

Update!

Doesn't matter, my mom is sick, so we are rescheduling.  I already have the dough ready for the rolls, I am just going to freeze that per the freezing directions in the recipe link.  

And then, this week, I am going to go buy some new pans to follow my original plan.  

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Update!

Doesn't matter, my mom is sick, so we are rescheduling.  I already have the dough ready for the rolls, I am just going to freeze that per the freezing directions in the recipe link.  

And then, this week, I am going to go buy some new pans to follow my original plan.  

Or you can play around with it, since you are not under any time or production schedule.

Just for future reference: our local grocery chains carry “garlic bread” loaves with butter, garlic etc preloaded and wrapped in foil in the bakery section: I would just buy a couple of those (we even have a 24 hour Safeway near us) in case of emergency and bake it for 10 minutes to get readymade garlic bread.

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Just for future reference: our local grocery chains carry “garlic bread” loaves with butter, garlic etc preloaded and wrapped in foil in the bakery section: I would just buy a couple of those (we even have a 24 hour Safeway near us) in case of emergency and bake it for 10 minutes to get readymade garlic bread.

I buy garlic rolls in foil bags in Walmart's bakery section.  They are excellent and fool-proof.  Just bake them in the bag.

Oh gosh, I love garlic bread so much that I would make it for your own peeps now and make it again for the rescheduled dinner later!