Menu

I just realised that as DS16 is going to TAFE in a month or so , meaning I will not be homeschooling him any further , I can get rid of ALL the high school Apologia science books .

I hate those books. I have read them all out loud to each of my kids. The Biology and Human body ones 5 TIMES. If ever any curriculum had a love of unnecessary words to get a point across these books outstrip all others 

I just realised that as I am getting rid of all those high school science books I can also slip out of the house the 3 boxes of high school text books that Ds has lovingly been buying for our homeschool from the op-shops over the years. If I haven't opened them at all in 17 years of homeschooling I am not ever going to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I have boxed up textbooks and past year exam papers as DS14 is done with them. They are sitting in boxes ready to be hand me downs to other homeschooling families. My kids like some of the physics textbooks so I am keeping those. 

My childhood home is a small 76 square metres two bedroom apartment. My mom have to declutter at the end of every academic year (for my brother and I) to be not overwhelmed with books. 

• Like 2

We really liked the biology book and labs, but the chemistry book made my daughter absolutely hate chemistry.  I don't use a textbook for chemistry anymore after that (that book ruined it and she retained nothing- it was sad).  I'm not even willing to buy the physics book -  that looks even worse.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what the high school books are like, but I know what the younger ones are like.

My older girls didn't mind the Space one when I read it outloud as long as I was paying attention enough to edit on the fly. I still remember one afternoon when I let my mind wander so I read exactly what was on the page. The girls stopped me after only a couple of paragraphs, snapping me back to attention. They had all sorts of questions because they thought the author had suddenly gone off her rocker. I had to explain my lapse & that I normally edited out all the extra non-sciency content (sometimes multiple paragraphs worth). It was draining...

Enjoy your decluttering!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hmmm.  I've never been able to bring myself to use them even though my homeschool hero recommended them (and her kids are shining examples of homeschool success--well rounded and brilliant).  I tried Science in the Beginning for a couple weeks and that was dry enough for me.  I would love a thorough, fun, creation science but haven't found it.  I hate feeling I will fall asleep reading.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, parent said:

Hmmm.  I've never been able to bring myself to use them even though my homeschool hero recommended them (and her kids are shining examples of homeschool success--well rounded and brilliant).  I tried Science in the Beginning for a couple weeks and that was dry enough for me.  I would love a thorough, fun, creation science but haven't found it.  I hate feeling I will fall asleep reading.

BJU Science, maybe? Super expensive, though.

Masterbooks? ABeka? 

21 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

BJU Science, maybe? Super expensive, though.

Masterbooks? ABeka? 

No interest in Abeka.  I attended mostly abeka Christian schools.  I was prepared for college with a stem degree, but I remember abeka as extremely boring.  Especially their history.  I do use their math workbooks for my kids.

I really liked our early Bookshark science with mostly Usborne books.  Doing Mystery Science now.  I do feel i need to get something more meaty by 7th grade (oldest is a young grade 5 now).

On 12/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I hate those books. I have read them all out loud to each of my kids. The Biology and Human body ones 5 TIMES.

I'm just curious--why would you continue with a text (or series of texts) that you hate?

Congratulations, by the way!