Menu

ACT examination: Major changes starting Fall 2020

Lanny

This is something that was in the Google Feed (Discover) on my Android phone a day or 2 ago and I don't have the link. Possibly it has been mentioned here in the Chat, or in the High School or College forums, but, if not, those who will be taking the ACT in the Fall of 2020 need to explore this.

One of the changes I remember is that one can either take the old-fashioned exam, on paper, or, one can take it Online. Different students will do better with one format or the other.

Also, different sections of the exam can be taken over, so that one doesn't need to take the entire ACT?

Please check into the ACT if you have a student who will be taking it in 2020...

• Like 1

DD will likely do her last test this Spring/Summer, just to see if she can get the extra couple of points (mostly, she feels she should have a perfect science score, and was really annoyed to have missed it as a freshman). Most of the regional schools in my area already take superscores for admissions, but not for scholarships, so I suspect little will change, except that it will be easier for kids to redo just one section and not have to sit through the whole test. 

• Like 1

ACT is now encouraging colleges to superscore the ACT, too. This will likely help my next DD in some ways but might drive up scores so it'll hurt, too.

I have two taking a spring 2020 ACT to get one on the books before all the changes kick in.

My alma mater did all online ACTs for state testing almost two years ago & they ended up having to do it all over on paper because if the online glitches. I hope they have that taken care of before fall 2020.

• Like 1

My oldest is a junior this year.  Her top choice college doesn’t super score (unless it’s changed since we asked 6 months ago).  We are a bit frustrated that for scholarships, she won’t have time, or at least not more than 1 time, to retake an individual subject test before scores need to be in.  I would like to know more about how this change will affect the group of teens during the transition period. 

• Like 2

All the schools (except overseas IIRC) that we’ve toured and researched superscore the SAT, so it only makes sense the same should be true for the ACT.  

DS hasn’t taken the ACT yet (he has taken his first SAT) but likely will this spring. Maybe it makes more sense to wait until fall, at least for schools he doesn’t try for early decision. 

• Like 1