Menu

Dad as substitute teacher

I've been feeling miserable (cold or the flu?) Fortunately, hubby is home on break, so he's taking the lead. Yesterday, he took dd to a museum, but today they're trying to do regular school. It's hilarious! 

They've been "doing math" (Saxon 1) for almost two hours and are still on the meeting! Talk about going down rabbit trails versus just doing the next thing! Instead of just counting coins and moving on, they've sorted pennies by mint date, discussed the presidents on them, and the oxidation process. 

It's making me rethink exactly why we homeschool and what our philosophy is. What exactly our goals are for the year. Very interesting, but part of me can't help cringing - at this rate, it'll take them a full week to get through one lesson!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

It's truly beneficial to just enjoy the journey sometimes, instead of fixating on the destination.
In just 2 hours, they've worked on math, US history, chemistry, worked on the timeline concept and discussed US politics. What fun!

Hubby and I both work outside the home and we both teach the kids at home. The kids really benefit from both our presence in their education and they enjoy and benefit from different things within our approaches too.

• Like 2

Ha! Funny. We also had some Dad-school this morning, which involved reading ALL the rest of the lessons on propaganda in The Fallacy Detective, because Dad wanted to know all of it. DS13 didn't have anything else to do, so they laughed through all of them on the couch together. Ruins my nice schedule for the next month, but they had fun. 🙂

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pintosrock said:

Very interesting, but part of me can't help cringing - at this rate, it'll take them a full week to get through one lesson!

I’ll fish out my cellphone and take lots of candid photos and maybe a video or two. These are such treasured moments a few years down the road. 

• Like 4