Menu

6 week body makeover

Excelsior! Academy

First, gain 3 pounds over Thanksgiving. Then, gain 4 pounds with parties and activities and stress leading up to Christmas. Get resolved and only gain a pound over New Years, but then take a cruise and gain 10.

The perfect total body makeover. :biggrin:

But hey, if you've got a way easily to go the other direction, tell us, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

https://www.freedieting.com/6-week-body-makeover The system is based on eating 5x a day per your body type and exercising 2x per week.

My sisters-in-law told me about it and both said it worked well for them years ago. They are hoping to begin it again.  The Google and Amazon reviews look promising.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:13 AM, PeterPan said:

First, gain 3 pounds over Thanksgiving. Then, gain 4 pounds with parties and activities and stress leading up to Christmas. Get resolved and only gain a pound over New Years, but then take a cruise and gain 10.

The perfect total body makeover. :biggrin:

But hey, if you've got a way easily to go the other direction, tell us, lol.

Hey, we used the same program!  It worked great for me!  🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

The Google and Amazon reviews look promising.

I assume you already saw this. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2360309/6-week-body-makeover-program  Looks like it involves some portion control and cutting out vices. The whole part about picking meats, etc. based on "body type" makes no sense to me, but whatever. I'm not really a fan of dieting, so I'm not the one to ask how to do it. I like to eat and I plan on eating as I want. I've been quietly doing a couch to 5k plan found here https://www.kfvs12.com/story/14246936/beginning-runners-10-week-training-plan-5kfvs/  and adding weight to the exercises for my back. So far, so good. Feels good to be back to bench pressing. 

Really, for me, weight lifting is the ultimate body makeover. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Hey, we used the same program!  It worked great for me!  🤣

Yeah, I sorta put on 10 pounds with some thyroid med changes (that still maybe aren't right, I'm retesting next week), and not lifting due to my back and PT. My back is doing better now, and I'm finally getting back in. What's funny is, for me, once I get to lifting and getting my tone back, I really don't care so much about the number. For me, a "makeover" and feeling good about myself is about muscle tone, core strength, range of motion. Can't get that by dieting. 

I also think, fwiw, that plans made by *men* don't seem to take into account the needs of *women* who have been birthing babies. Our backs, pelvic floor, gluts, core all need extra tlc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years and years ago, I went directly to Michael Thurmond and paid way too much money, but it did include personal training sessions, so I guess it was not that bad price wise.

He told me to eat 5 mini-meals, mostly low fat meat like chicken, turkey, and fish, low fat cottage cheese, etc......and vegetables.  I think I got two low glycemic fruits per day (berries or peach or something).

And do strength building weight workouts every other day and cardio every day.

It was not fun.  I lost only a little weight, mostly because it was so hard to stick to.

• Like 1

While I haven't done this, I have done Bikini Body Mommy (BBM) challenges. They are each 90 days long. Things I like about them: most of the challenges have short daily (okay, 6 days a week) sessions. They are usually about 20 minutes. They don't require fancy equipment or anything. I can watch them for free from youtube. She alternates strength and cardio days.

They have increased my strength and my endurance is way better, although I haven't lost weight.

I am in the middle of the third BBM challenge I have done. I am looking for something similar to try, solely based on the fact that after 6 months, her personality is starting to...grate on me, let's say. But if I can't find something similar, I will stick with BBM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

While I haven't done this, I have done Bikini Body Mommy (BBM) challenges.

Big thumbs up for BBM.  She starts her next free 90 day challenge on Jan 6th, free on youtube.

Here's Day 2 of her last challenge (she was newly post-partum). Her signature is wearing a bikini every 15 days, to show the transformation.
Since she's a mom of FIVE, with an 18 year age span, it's easy to follow her lead (having a better body image, dealing with the changes childbirth brings, etc.)

Basically, I've come to accept that I'll need to exercise every single day for the rest of my life to maintain my current level of health, at age 55.
It's a harsh reality!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

In related news, I just finished How Not to Diet, and loved it.  Written by Dr. Michael Gregor, who wrote How Not to Die.  Basically, a nutritarian approach to long term weight and health management.  

Oh interesting! That's right up my alley! And really, I am partly this way because of what I've read on the boards here. If you read a while, you notice that people diet and then have to stick with those portions to maintain. Me, I'm just not game for that. 

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Years and years ago, I went directly to Michael Thurmond and paid way too much money, but it did include personal training sessions, so I guess it was not that bad price wise.

He told me to eat 5 mini-meals, mostly low fat meat like chicken, turkey, and fish, low fat cottage cheese, etc......and vegetables.  I think I got two low glycemic fruits per day (berries or peach or something).

And do strength building weight workouts every other day and cardio every day.

It was not fun.  I lost only a little weight, mostly because it was so hard to stick to.

See that's really interesting and what I suspected. I used a nutritionist for a number of years (for other health issues), and that's what she did, adding in more frequent snacks, dropping beef and white flour, salad daily, veges at lunch, etc. It was a lifestyle and she did it in a way I could live with. It's work, but it was sustainable. But she wasn't keeping portions small. She actually did the opposite, trying to get you to eat MORE. (more vegetables, more fruit) 

And yeah, if people do strength training every other day (and actually do them) and then cardio every day, that should shed weight, lol. 

9 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

used it for about a week

So I'm just curious. If you had say tripled the amount of food (his plans, just larger portions, not restrictive) and maybe ramped up the exercise more slowly, sort of the 16 week plan, haha, would it have worked better?

It just doesn't seem like what he's saying to eat is so bad, but maybe it's more like the pace and restrictions that are getting people. 

I don't know, I ate two pieces of pie and two cinnamon rolls already today, haha. Tomorrow I'll run and hit the gym to do some weights. It's all good.

Is the bikini thing actually a goal for people? I mean, I'm taking a cruise again and there are LOT of bodies in bikinis, lol. Not me, not a goal. I'm more like the I'll kick your butt if you attack me in a parking lot plan. Or the I can run and keep up with my kid to play outside plan. Kwim? I think we have a lot of functional reasons to want to feel good, just for ourselves.

Which is another way of saying, if you know why you're doing this, maybe a total makeover isn't necessary. Maybe an in between goal would get you what you really wanted. Then it's ok to do it more slowly, because you know where you're going and why. 

So, fwiw, I have an aunt (70-ish) who has struggled with weight all her life. She started with a personal trainer, signed a year contract (to keep herself committed, has to be paid, done deal), and she does 30 minutes I think twice a week. She's been losing weight, she's more toned, and yeah in just a couple months she made enough progress to have that feeling of being a bit safer in a parking lot, a bit more able to play with great nieces and great nephews. And those are kind of self-sustaining, motivating goals. It didn't have to be something dramatic, and it really didn't take as *long* as you would have thought to get her that progress and help her feel like SHE could actually be sort of athletic or fit or confident and have a place in a gym. And she's 70+ and probably was 100 pounds overweight.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Oh interesting! That's right up my alley! And really, I am partly this way because of what I've read on the boards here. If you read a while, you notice that people diet and then have to stick with those portions to maintain. Me, I'm just not game for that. 

If you decide to read How Not To Diet, I recommend How Not To Die first.  The HNTDiet definitely feels more like a sequel, though it can stand alone.  Both books are excellent and have been the ONLY argument that has made me significantly decrease meat intake, despite reading a lot about nutrition over the years.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

If you decide to read How Not To Diet, I recommend How Not To Die first.  The HNTDiet definitely feels more like a sequel, though it can stand alone.  Both books are excellent and have been the ONLY argument that has made me significantly decrease meat intake, despite reading a lot about nutrition over the years.    

Ok, I'll bite. What was his beef with meat? :biggrin: And was it a particular type of meat?

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Is the bikini thing actually a goal for people?

Well, I can only speak for myself. No, wearing a bikini isn't my goal. IMO, it's not Brianna Christine's (BBM person) goal either. I think it's just a gimicky/catchy name. As I said, the workouts are short and pretty darn doable, even for me and I was...pretty sedentary before starting. Because the workouts are short, I can't say "I don't have time." I mean, sure, some days I don't. But generally, yeah, I can find 20 minutes to exercise. It might mean I give up time online or whatever, but it's way less intimidating than 45 or hour long workouts.

I'd much rather do short workouts basically every day so it's habit, than 1 or two longer workouts a week.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I assume you already saw this. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2360309/6-week-body-makeover-program  Looks like it involves some portion control and cutting out vices. The whole part about picking meats, etc. based on "body type" makes no sense to me, but whatever. I'm not really a fan of dieting, so I'm not the one to ask how to do it. I like to eat and I plan on eating as I want. I've been quietly doing a couch to 5k plan found here https://www.kfvs12.com/story/14246936/beginning-runners-10-week-training-plan-5kfvs/  and adding weight to the exercises for my back. So far, so good. Feels good to be back to bench pressing. 

Really, for me, weight lifting is the ultimate body makeover. 

I just read through the link.  Thank you for sharing it.  The reviews do look promising, but I'm concerned about the initial diet vs. maintaining.  I could sign up for a 6 week program.  I'm not willing to sign up for no sugar, salt, etc. for life program.

I've tried couch to 5K a couple of times and have decided that running is not the sport for me.  Not only is it a challenge for me to leave the house for that length of time, but I also have an organ prolapse.  Dh and I are researching treadmills and have decided on a price point.  I plan to listen to audio books and do regular household tasks like menu planning whilst walking on the treadmill.  Dh's sisters are doing the same thing. Hopefully, with the accountability  we will all be able to stick to walking regularly.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I also have an organ prolapse.  Dh and I are researching treadmills and have decided on a price point

Are there specialized exercises for this or PT? That might be the place to start, that plus walking.

As far as the treadmill, you might watch craigslist. That's how I got mine. They go exceptionally quickly, but they do pop up. 

I don't know if you remember this, but the couch to 5k plans, at least the one from Budd Coates, say to be walking 30-45 minutes a day (I forget) anyway, so walking is just a good plan. 

Yeah, maybe start a thread on the organ prolapse. You want to be doing PT or proper treatment before beginning any other exercise program. I didn't have that, but I let some back problems from my last pregnancy (11 years ago!) go and I ended up making them worse. You definitely want to treat stuff before plowing ahead. And, fwiw (again, me not being a doctor), googlefu is saying hormones like estrogen can be involved in prolapse. So if you do an unusual diet and screw up your hormones by going too low fat, whatever, that would be even worse. 

So maybe a trip to the doctor, get the referrals, get that treated, and then you'll be in a good, safe position to do more. And maybe your doctor would refer you for a nutritionist while he's at it? Nuts, some insurance providers have people you can call and talk with. At least they're taking some responsibility for the safety of their advice for your specific situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'll bite. What was his beef with meat? :biggrin: And was it a particular type of meat?

I'll try to sum up my thoughts:

I love meat and come from a meat and potatoes kind of family.  I have been turned off of even thinking about "meat free/vegan/vegetarian" because the arguments typically center around ethics and not health.  And I won't claim the ethical arguments are invalid, they just weren't things that were ever going to persuade me.  Not enough brain bandwidth at this stage of life to take on another "cause," if that makes sense.  

But Dr. Gregor does a good job of pointing out how meat affects the body (all meat, dairy, and yes, even fish!).  He himself is a vegan (ethical and health) and does not hide that fact, he gives it as a disclaimer at the beginning of HNTDie.  I appreciate his upfront honesty about his bias.  Having read the books, he appears bound and determined to site studies and is clear about when the studies are strong, when they are weak, and when they are inconclusive but the intervention won't cause harm and so might be worth trying.  Basically, he rings true enough that I'm willing to believe him to be attempting to write as factual of a book as possible, given how quickly science- especially nutrition science- changes.  

His issues with meat are multiple.  The ones that most concerned me are that meat is inflammatory, contains no antioxidants, and no fiber.  He has talked me into the idea that fiber (from food, not supplements) is probably the single most important nutrient that westerners are missing.  

What I appreciate the most about his approach is this- he does not say "No meat, ever again!!!"  But instead he has caused a mental shift for me so that meat is now in the same category as cookies and cakes and fast food.  An occasional indulgence rather than a staple.  He calls this "whole food, plant based," which separates it from ethical veganism which can include vegan junk food for many people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

I just read through the link.  Thank you for sharing it.  The reviews do look promising, but I'm concerned about the initial diet vs. maintaining.  I could sign up for a 6 week program.  I'm not willing to sign up for no sugar, salt, etc. for life program.

I've tried couch to 5K a couple of times and have decided that running is not the sport for me.  Not only is it a challenge for me to leave the house for that length of time, but I also have an organ prolapse.  Dh and I are researching treadmills and have decided on a price point.  I plan to listen to audio books and do regular household tasks like menu planning whilst walking on the treadmill.  Dh's sisters are doing the same thing. Hopefully, with the accountability  we will all be able to stick to walking regularly.

FWIW, wearing a cube pessary every day has made exercise possible, despite cystocele and rectocele.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Are there specialized exercises for this or PT? That might be the place to start, that plus walking.

As far as the treadmill, you might watch craigslist. That's how I got mine. They go exceptionally quickly, but they do pop up. 

I don't know if you remember this, but the couch to 5k plans, at least the one from Budd Coates, say to be walking 30-45 minutes a day (I forget) anyway, so walking is just a good plan. 

Yeah, maybe start a thread on the organ prolapse. You want to be doing PT or proper treatment before beginning any other exercise program. I didn't have that, but I let some back problems from my last pregnancy (11 years ago!) go and I ended up making them worse. You definitely want to treat stuff before plowing ahead. And, fwiw (again, me not being a doctor), googlefu is saying hormones like estrogen can be involved in prolapse. So if you do an unusual diet and screw up your hormones by going too low fat, whatever, that would be even worse. 

So maybe a trip to the doctor, get the referrals, get that treated, and then you'll be in a good, safe position to do more. And maybe your doctor would refer you for a nutritionist while he's at it? Nuts, some insurance providers have people you can call and talk with. At least they're taking some responsibility for the safety of their advice for your specific situation.

Thank you for the doctor visit recommendation.  I certainly don't want to make things worse with the diet!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

@PeterPan- I think I found it.  if you get seriously into lifting, check out his works. Guy's name is Lyle McDonald. Here is the podcast link when Mike Matthews interviewed him if it's the right one (fingers crossed). Also, MM thinks most dieting stuff is crap, so if anyone disagrees with that, I would avoid his books. He is a calories in/calories out guy and not a fad diet guy. 

https://legionathletics.com/lyle-mcdonald-podcast/

https://www.scribd.com/document/384851966/McDONALD-Lyle-2018-the-Womens-Book-Vol-1

Oh that's really interesting! I'm definitely going to look it over.